ADVERTISEMENT

Interesting article in the Wall Street Journal about DeBoer's salary relative to his assistants.

These compensation figures look like a total compensation figures.

Perhaps as DeBoer collects success factors, the spread will widen.

Telling is the story how DeBoer has long term relationships with his assistants.

CCC makes more in ‘NIL tie ins’ than athletic department salary
… and has similar long term relationships with his assistants.

Last edited:
It will be interesting to see how well Washinton does without Penix. He is a generational QB with his quick release, throwing darts. It'll be difficult to replace him, as we found out.
They thought Penix was leaving after last year. So they went out and signed a 5-star QB in addition to what is behind Penix. Then at their awards banquet Penix announced he was coming back for this year. UDub has a history of having good QBs, never has been a problem.

The Savvy Investment Behind Washington’s College Football Title Run​

The Huskies, who face Michigan in Monday’s championship, pay their head coach less and top assistant more than most other programs​

An interesting article about the value added.
very smart way to go about it. i've always thought we underestimate the value of assistants. they do 90% of the work. the head man is more of a program manager.

They thought Penix was leaving after last year. So they went out and signed a 5-star QB in addition to what is behind Penix. Then at their awards banquet Penix announced he was coming back for this year. UDub has a history of having good QBs, never has been a problem.
but mike penix good?

Reactions: red hornet
They don't have to be as good as Penix to be successful. I have followed the Dawgs since living out there in the 80s and 90s ... they always have two things good ... QBs and OLs. They are not shabby on the other positions either.
final 4 good?

Reactions: red hornet
final 4 good?
Doubtful. New conference, different schedule, different receivers, QB ... they won the NC (shared with Miami) in 1991 and both QBs were drafted and played in the NFL. Yet one of them put UW on probation and cost Don James his job. Billy Joe Hobert. The current "no name" QB from UDub starts for the Bengals right now. The list of QBs over the years is long, I'll not go into it.

There were times when I had some of my best salespeople making more than me as the GSM... And, our toughest competitors did the same.

Making sure the work horses powering the ship are being compensated equally, or close, with management who steer the ship, is a proven business philosphy that usually generates success.

Less turn over... happier workers.... people take more pride in what they do and have more trust in management... I could go on...

More colleges need to adopt that philosphy if they want to win....

very smart way to go about it. i've always thought we underestimate the value of assistants. they do 90% of the work. the head man is more of a program manager.
Years ago my staff and I would always attend a coaches convention (can’t remember which group ran it) that had nothing but college level assistants speaking. In the opening introductory session, and I believe it was an assistant from UK, he told us that we would learn more here than any other convention because assistants do all the work and head coaches don’t know or do sh:t. And he was right. I remember going to sessions where Urban Meyer and Jimmy Johnson spoke and it was so boring and elementary it was pitiful.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT