ADVERTISEMENT

Indianapolis from the street level

We all have what we are comfortable with. I moved to Indy in 2001. Downtown had stuff going on but it wasn't the same kind of pull to live there. 22 year old IUCrazy would probably be somewhat interested in being in certain areas of downtown now because of the proximity to activities I was more heavily involved in then (sporting events, bars, meeting new people---let's be honest---women looking to date, etc.) I think there are areas downtown that are really vibrant for the young and single or recently coupled. I don't view it as appealing for raising children.

On the other hand, Carmel and Fishers are racing to have their own areas that are walkable and have some of that same appeal as downtown does without some of the other hassles. It is pretty crazy how much this entire area has changed the past 20 years.
It is funny, I wouldn't mind living in downtown Indy. I have a daughter that does and that scares me. I don't think the risks are high, I'm just willing to accept more risk for me than for my kids.

Like you, I'm not sure it is conducive to raising kids. But I'm not sure our suburbs haven't created more problems than they've solved.

Reactions: larsIU
It is funny, I wouldn't mind living in downtown Indy. I have a daughter that does and that scares me. I don't think the risks are high, I'm just willing to accept more risk for me than for my kids.

Like you, I'm not sure it is conducive to raising kids. But I'm not sure our suburbs haven't created more problems than they've solved.
There’s something to be said for not raising children in a virtually homogenous setting filled with strip malls and traffic to get to those strip malls.
A few years ago, a writer for the IndyStar wrote a series of articles about moving his family to the near east side. His oldest kid went to and was graduated from Tech HS. By all accounts, she was a normal, well-adjusted teen who got a full academic ride to IU, and got enough of an education in HS to thrive in college.

Reactions: Marvin the Martian
There’s something to be said for not raising children in a virtually homogenous setting filled with strip malls and traffic to get to those strip malls.
A few years ago, a writer for the IndyStar wrote a series of articles about moving his family to the near east side. His oldest kid went to and was graduated from Tech HS. By all accounts, she was a normal, well-adjusted teen who got a full academic ride to IU, and got enough of an education in HS to thrive in college.
No offense, but isn't Indy just one big suburb of "virtually homogenous" strip malls, stores, and restaurants?

No offense, but isn't Indy just one big suburb of "virtually homogenous" strip malls, stores, and restaurants?
I think that was sort of the point of the article, but not homogenous in the way that we think of a Carmel being homogenous. More homogenous regarding being working class more than professional regardless of race.

Hell, gobs of people raise children in Manhattan, why can't they in downtown Indy?

I know many people with kids that live in/near downtown in places like Lockerbie, Fletcher Place, Old Northside, Cottage Home, Holy Cross etc... considering the number of large single family homes so close to the mile square, probably more conducive than many cities

Last edited:
Reactions: Bulk VanderHuge
Hell, gobs of people raise children in Manhattan, why can't they in downtown Indy?

I know many people with kids that live in/near downtown in places like Lockerbie, Fletcher Place, Old Northside, Cottage Home, Holy Cross etc... considering the number of single family homes so close to the mile square, probably more conducive than many cities
Cold Spring Road.

Coffin Golf Course. VA Hospital. The Iron Skillet restaurant on 30th Street.

I know many people with kids that live in/near downtown in places like Lockerbie, Fletcher Place, Old Northside, Cottage Home, Holy Cross etc... considering the number of large single family homes so close to the mile square, probably more conducive than many cities
Like I said, HMP. Send kids to Herron High School.

Good point.

There are advantages to growing up in the city. I grew up downtown, granted small town, but directly downtown. For a long time my baseball/football playground was the road. Or the grass next to an electrical substation (getting a ball that went over the fence guaranteed the police would come and kick us out). Or on the weekend, an asphalt parking lot (used more for baseball than football). But once one gets older and has a bike, getting to parks becomes a bit easier. When I think of growing up downtown anywhere, I'm thinking of where do the 6-8-year-olds play. And frankly, I'm not sure I'm trusting a 9-year-old to ride a bike on the streets of Manhattan or Indy.

Good point.

There are advantages to growing up in the city. I grew up downtown, granted small town, but directly downtown. For a long time my baseball/football playground was the road. Or the grass next to an electrical substation (getting a ball that went over the fence guaranteed the police would come and kick us out). Or on the weekend, an asphalt parking lot (used more for baseball than football). But once one gets older and has a bike, getting to parks becomes a bit easier. When I think of growing up downtown anywhere, I'm thinking of where do the 6-8-year-olds play. And frankly, I'm not sure I'm trusting a 9-year-old to ride a bike on the streets of Manhattan or Indy.
My kids grew up in suburbia, and didn’t ride bikes outside neighborhood (subdivision) when they were 6-8. It’s reality. I referenced it above, but do you think parents in Delphi let their 14 year olds walk around the last few years?

My kids grew up in suburbia, and didn’t ride bikes outside neighborhood (subdivision) when they were 6-8.
My kid would ride to her friends houses about 3 miles away. There are bike trails all over Carmel, so that helps.

They can. You can raise them anywhere. It just personally isn't my preference because I think the negatives outweigh the positives (for me).

My kids grew up in suburbia, and didn’t ride bikes outside neighborhood (subdivision) when they were 6-8. It’s reality. I referenced it above, but do you think parents in Delphi let their 14 year olds walk around the last few years?

Rural crime is an issue. I heard someone talk about hiking both Appalachian trail PCT and they said how dangerous it was to do those alone, and not just because of natural risks. A lone hiker is at risk to other humans. Delphi is another good example, even though there appear to be some very extenuating circumstances (it appears the internet played a big role). But generally speaking, crime follows the people. Simple math, if 1 in a thousand is a total nut case you are going to encounter more of them in a Chicago than a Delphi.

d6aa2f7420da8f281944f6a19a78e42dde3f3ddebea71a949482d7d719b092d0.jpg
I see what you did there, but first of all the somewhat cleaned up Bubba in the photo does not live in the burbs and the reality is no one in their right mind would walk on E Washington after dark,

I've told the wife we're moving back to Indy after the kid gets out of college though your next comment has made me think about it.

I used to complain that in the "Carmel Arts District" moniker the only thing correct was "Carmel". But it keeps getting better(ish).

I would still like to be near downtown b/c there is just more stuff to do there. Like, I'd probably become a Pacers season ticket holder if I lived downtown, or the Indians, Indy 11, etc. But driving down from Carmel for a Wednesday night Pacers game is no bueno.
The CAD is simply a grouping of decent restaurants. No other reason to go there.

The CAD is simply a grouping of decent restaurants. No other reason to go there.
Yeah, it's not bad to go get a drink or eat. They've started having semi street festivals with bands about once a month when it's warm enough.

It's not organic but what is anymore.

No shit.
There's a lot of places I wouldn't walk after dark, and not all of them are in metro areas.
Well, after review...you were mocking someone who made the point that you don't take that walk at night. Now you argree with him, or you were just dying to use that funny?

Yeah, it's not bad to go get a drink or eat. They've started having semi street festivals with bands about once a month when it's warm enough.

It's not organic but what is anymore.
There actually is an art store dealer that we have purchsed some pieces in. And there was a cajun restaurant nearby.

Well, after review...you were mocking someone who made the point that you don't take that walk at night. Now you argree with him, or you were just dying to use that funny?
Nothing enhances a joke like over-analyzation, I always say. But for all that, you have managed to miss the point. I may let you know when you land on it, but won't get lured into a nit-pick tug of war with you. You're going to have to tug yourself.

Mudbugs the guy just retired. We talked to him about it. I sure do miss, Miss Ann's Crawfish Casserole though. That place was good even served Abita beer. And the music just put you right down in Louisiana. :)
Ahh, good to know. I figured COVID. Lotta workers in that area were sent home. Sun King opened about the worst time ever but toughed it out. They should do quite well there for a long time.

Abita Purple Haze?
Or is that blasphemous, too?(jk)
Abita everything.

Just set the record straight yesterday. Tired of confusion on the subject.

There's clear cut evidence. And people think it's a story book. When disease strikes those peeps more than others it's obvious God meant what he said. Jus sayin and I think you know it too.

Reactions: DANC
Ahh, good to know. I figured COVID. Lotta workers in that area were sent home. Sun King opened about the worst time ever but toughed it out. They should do quite well there for a long time.
I'm sure you heard the Goat stories in midtown during covid yes? My kids hung out there all the time. Nobody wore masks ever during covid at the Goat and the 3 am parties were well known.

Abita everything.

Just set the record straight yesterday. Tired of confusion on the subject.

There's clear cut evidence. And people think it's a story book. When disease strikes those peeps more than others it's obvious God meant what he said. Jus sayin and I think you know it too.
Sorry...as a Christian, I can't agree with you, so I don't "know it, too". I don't mind other Christians (or people of other religions, for that matter) believing differently than me and mine...hell, look at the number of denominations that exist, but don't act like you have a monopoly on truth. Our pastor may be the smartest, most empathetic, most caring person I have met...do you think, deep down, he "knows it, too"? Sorry, but, no.

Ohhh Brockaway too. No masks. My buddies band played there in the heart of covid. They blew the doors off that joint and nobody had masks on. Nobody got sick either. There were 20 of us in there from our neighborhood.

Sorry...as a Christian, I can't agree with you, so I don't "know it, too". I don't mind other Christians believing differently than me and mine...hell, look at the number of denominations that exist, but don't act like you have a monopoly on truth. Our pastor may be the smartest, most empathetic, most caring person I have met...do you think, deep down, he "knows it, too"? Sorry, but, no.
So your saying guys and lesbians do not get diseases or sicker than people that aren't?

Type that one into Google bulk. They haven't censored that yet. There's tons of studies

I'm sure you heard the Goat stories in midtown during covid yes? My kids hung out there all the time. Nobody wore masks ever during covid at the Goat and the 3 am parties were well known.
Yeah it had a pretty short life.

So your saying guys and lesbians do not get diseases or sicker than people that aren't?

Type that one into Google bulk. They haven't censored that yet. There's tons of studies
I thought they had censored it, according to the Trumper posts I read on here.
And I don't base my faith on internet research...or some guy on an anonymous internet forum. I'm good...and done with this topic. Proselytizing on a message board is never a good look.

Nothing enhances a joke like over-analyzation, I always say. But for all that, you have managed to miss the point. I may let you know when you land on it, but won't get lured into a nit-pick tug of war with you. You're going to have to tug yourself.
Nah, never looked back

I thought they had censored it, according to the Trumper posts I read on here.
And I don't base my faith on internet research...or some guy on an anonymous internet forum. I'm good...and done with this topic. Proselytizing on a message board is never a good look.
If you're good then lose the little blasphemous jabs next time. And i quoted scripture, not my opinion or some internet trash you refer too. For the word of God is quick, and powerful, and sharper than any twoedged sword. I don't have time for opinions such as your pastors. If he can prove that scripture wrong, that's in my sig out of the Bible, which I described full and complete yesterday about the subject, I'll shut up.

If you're good then lose the little blasphemous jabs next time. And i quoted scripture, not my opinion or some internet trash you refer too. For the word of God is quick, and powerful, and sharper than any twoedged sword. I don't have time for opinions such as your pastors. If he can prove that scripture wrong, that's in my sig out of the Bible, which I described full and complete yesterday about the subject, I'll shut up.
First sentence- fair enough…my apologies.

The rest is you defending your interpretation of those Scriptures. Scriptures have alway been subject to our interpretations, sometimes leading to some pretty horrific acts in the name of God. In our arrogance (with a healthy dose of fear mixed in) we try to claim to know the mind of God. But I Corinthians 2:11 says to pump the breaks.

As someone smarter than me once said, “It is not possible to measure the arm of God with the finger of man.” I thought that made pretty good sense.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT