ADVERTISEMENT

I'm probably making a mistake getting out in front here, but . . .

While true, that now has different meanings. For 8 minutes an officer stood with his knee on someone's neck and there was no immediate action by anyonenl, including the three officers watching. There was no immediate arrest of anyone involved. "Now" meant "eventually" in that case.

It seems we need to work on a definition of "now".

Are the protests about the lack of an immediate arrest? I don’t think so. In any event, it looks like the investigation that resulted in the arrest started immediately. I don’t think waiting for the autopsy to make sure that there was a crime was unreasonable.

Are the protests about the lack of an immediate arrest? I don’t think so. In any event, it looks like the investigation that resulted in the arrest started immediately. I don’t think waiting for the autopsy to make sure that there was a crime was unreasonable.

If that had happened on the street, no police involved, do you think there would have been an immediate arrest?

If you had been listening to quotes from the protesters from day 1, they have said that a black man would have been arrested immediately. So yes, the delay is part of the perceived problem.

If someone is found dead with a bullet hole and a nearby person is holding a gun, do we wait on an autopsy to see if the victim actually died of an OD before the bullet hit?

Reactions: Rockfish1
I think the protests are many things, including an event and something to do and something to feel good about, particularly among the young white kids. I saw so many posts yesterday of BLM and all black profiles posts. Like the protests it just makes them feel like activists. They aren’t going down tomorrow to volunteer at the methadone clinic in E Stl. They aren’t going to the employment connection today to help people study for their GED. They aren’t volunteering to walk the neighborhoods passing out brochures to the homeless advising them of shelter options. It’s just lip service. And I’m jaded and old but it’s ferguson rince repeat. 99 percent of the “woke” people do nothing outside of social media posts.

Last edited:
If that had happened on the street, no police involved, do you think there would have been an immediate arrest?

If you had been listening to quotes from the protesters from day 1, they have said that a black man would have been arrested immediately. So yes, the delay is part of the perceived problem.

If someone is found dead with a bullet hole and a nearby person is holding a gun, do we wait on an autopsy to see if the victim actually died of an OD before the bullet hit?

I don’t think if Chauvin were black there would have been an immediate arrest.

A guy with a gun standing over a gun shot victim on a street is not close to analogous.

I think the protests are many things, including an event and something to do and something to feel good about, particularly among the young white kids. I saw so many posts yesterday of BLM and all black profiles posts. Like the protests it just makes them feel like activists. They aren’t going down tomorrow to volunteer at the methadone clinic in E Stl. They aren’t going to the employment connection today to help people study for their GED. They aren’t volunteering to walk the neighborhoods passing out brochures to the homeless advising them of shelter options. It’s kust lip service. And I’m jaded and old but it’s ferguson rince repeat. 99 percent of the “woke” people do nothing outside of social media posts.

Many protesters are looking for “likes” on social media as they post video of marching and chanting.

Reactions: mcmurtry66
I don’t think if Chauvin were black there would have been an immediate arrest.

A guy with a gun standing over a gun shot victim on a street is not close to analogous.

Have you not said that even if the autopsy was wishy washy, which it was, that would not impact the 3rd degree charge.

People appear to be arrested frequently before anyone knows the exact charges. Heck, if he had survived I think assault would still have been warranted.

Don't forget how long it took for Mohamed Noor to be arrested for the killing of Justine Damond. It happened on July 15, 2017 and he wasn't arrested and charged formally until March 2018.

https://www.twincities.com/2018/03/...med-noor-arrested-in-justine-damond-shooting/

Reactions: Marvin the Martian
I saw an article that was talking about removing some of the protections from Twitter, Facebook, etc. that said that decreasing their prevalence in society would actually be good for the public discourse. I actually view some of the protesting now as the "Social Media" protests. People get behind things and say, "Yeah, that is wrong...I support you. Let's march...let's black out our social media profile..." but at the end of the day, that does nothing. I do not see demands or plans of action. Like, if you are protesting, their used to be some set of goals you had for the protest and steps you want to see taken. "Stop systemic racism" is a goal. It does not seem like anyone who is "leading" (I use that term loosely) this has thought too far further than that.

I would have expected BLM to be demanding more citizen input in these large cities. Demanding to meet with the mayor or city council. Demanding something along those lines. Right now it is just people marching around aimlessly yelling that they are pissed. You need someone to direct that anger to solutions. That is hard work though. That video up above, "bro...we're on your side" as you are playing beer pong and taping yourself giving them the thumbs up...lol. No you are not. You are a neutral bystander who wants to show that you are not a "bad guy", but you are not on anyone's team. My social media blew up this week with posts about teaching white privelege and all that...the people that posted them then went back about their summer business. What was going on downtown does not impact them (me) all that much, so whatever...shade a meme and you are "on the team". And you immediately become able to scold anyone who is also not sufficiently on board with posting meaningless platitudes. It is the laziest activism I have ever seen.

I heard a socialogist on the radio talking about the impact of social media on the marches and riots. He's of the view that is significant. I didn't discuss his views in more detail because whenever i bring stuff I hear from others on this board it doesn't work out too well. ;)

Reactions: mcmurtry66
Don't forget how long it took for Mohamed Noor to be arrested for the killing of Justine Damond. It happened on July 15, 2017 and he wasn't arrested and charged formally until March 2018.

https://www.twincities.com/2018/03/...med-noor-arrested-in-justine-damond-shooting/

That is an excellent example. Police have a hard job, and I do believe they deserve the tie goes to the runner benefit of the doubt.

But in cases where there is a lazy line drive caught by the first baseman standing on first base, there is no need to wait on the runner to get to first to make the call.

That is an excellent example. Police have a hard job, and I do believe they deserve the tie goes to the runner benefit of the doubt.

But in cases where there is a lazy line drive caught by the first baseman standing on first base, there is no need to wait on the runner to get to first to make the call.

I agree. The Justine Damond example was just meant to compare and contrast. On one hand, she was the 911 caller, unarmed and presented no threat outside of potentially moving too quickly. On the other, there was no camera footage as there was w/Mr. Floyd.

Regardless of Floyd's history (unlikely known at the time by the arresting officers), his crime was nonviolent and non-threatening ($20 counterfeit) and he clearly posed ZERO risk to the four officers once he was on the ground and handcuffed.

I think the Damond case also illustrates how hard it is to convict officers of 2nd degree murder vs. 3rd (at least in Minnesota). Perhaps having that video footage and knowing the duration of excessive force will change that.

I think the protests are many things, including an event and something to do and something to feel good about, particularly among the young white kids. I saw so many posts yesterday of BLM and all black profiles posts. Like the protests it just makes them feel like activists. They aren’t going down tomorrow to volunteer at the methadone clinic in E Stl. They aren’t going to the employment connection today to help people study for their GED. They aren’t volunteering to walk the neighborhoods passing out brochures to the homeless advising them of shelter options. It’s just lip service. And I’m jaded and old but it’s ferguson rince repeat. 99 percent of the “woke” people do nothing outside of social media posts.
You ignore the actual injustice and engage in motivated mind-reading about the protesters. This is vacuous.

You ignore the actual injustice and engage in motivated mind-reading about the protesters. This is vacuous.
You assign credit where it likely doesn’t exist by doing the same -mind-reading. If it’s a liberal cause you presume only the best of intentions. If it’s the opposite only the worst. Then when challenged resort to this “you can’t read minds” mantra. It’s very predictable.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hoopsdoc1978
You assign credit where it likely doesn’t exist by doing the same -mind-reading. If it’s a liberal cause you presume only the best of intentions. If it’s the opposite only the worse. Then when challenged resort to this “you can’t read minds” mantra. It’s very predictable.

LOL...this after he spends nine posts mind reading.

I mean it’s bizarre. Like he has zero awareness of what he writes. Then he’ll get super aggressive and argumentative lol.

quasi intellectual troll. zero self awareness and gets livid and abusive when anyone holds up a mirror.

Typical misogynistic behavior.

Reactions: Lucy01
You assign credit where it likely doesn’t exist by doing the same -mind-reading. If it’s a liberal cause you presume only the best of intentions. If it’s the opposite only the worse. Then when challenged resort to this “you can’t read minds” mantra. It’s very predictable.
I’m not doing any mind-reading. An outrageous event occurred, and people are reacting with outrage. Those are observable facts. You find it implausible that people actually are outraged by the outrageous event so you concoct pop psychology theories about the protesters’ “real” motivations. You have literally no basis to do that.

I observe that there has been an outrageous event, and I observe people reacting to the outrageous event with outrage. I’ve cited voluminous data for the proposition that there is much more reason for outrage than even the outrageous event that prompted the outrage. Thus I conclude that righteous outrage is the primary driver. No mind reading is required for any of that.

I’m not doing any mind-reading. An outrageous event occurred, and people are reacting with outrage. Those are observable facts. You find it implausible that people actually are outraged by the outrageous event so you concoct pop psychology theories about the protesters’ “real” motivations. You have literally no basis to do that.

I observe that there has been an outrageous event, and I observe people reacting to the outrageous event with outrage. I’ve cited voluminous data for the proposition that there is much more reason for outrage than even the outrageous event that prompted the outrage. Thus I conclude that righteous outrage is the primary driver. No mind reading is required for any of that.
It is mind-reading to presume that people are reacting with outrage to this event. They could be reacting opportunistically to this event. Do you not understand that you are mind reading to presume they are reacting with outrage?

Last edited:
It is mind-reading to presume that people are reacting with outrage to this event. They could be acting opportunistically to this event. Do you not understand that you are mind reading to presume they are reacting with outrage?

You are wasting your time. He is a clueless troll.

Most presidents try to unite. Reagan delivered a great speech after Challenger, Bush was nearly perfect in the days after 9/11. This president through himself face first into division. He even retreated, "the only good Democrat is a dead Democrat".

And the problem is CNN? CNN sucks to be sure, but the problem is we have a president who wants discord. He wants this crap and he does need called out for it.
If Trump gave us a leadership message, CNN would report it. God knows what FoxNews and its sycophants would report if they thought Trump's message was weaker than Bannon's or Hannity's.

It is mind-reading to presume that people are reacting with outrage to this event. They could be acting opportunistically to this event. Do you not understand that you are mind reading to presume they are reacting with outrage?
I’m not presuming that people are acting outraged. I’m observing them act outraged, among other things with signs and chants and emotional statements that express outrage about an outrageous event. You speculate that this is only an act — a pretext — and you baselessly speculate about what you imagine their “real” motivations are. That’s just stuff you’re making up. I’m not making anything up.

I’ve seen reports that some people have taken opportunistic advantage of the protests to engage in unrelated criminal behavior. This wouldn’t be surprising, but I don’t know if that’s true. And I’ve seen no reports suggesting that this opportunistic behavior is anything other than peripheral to the main event.

Reactions: brianiu
Do you really think this is just about property? We are talking about thousands of small business owners whose lives are and savings are gone because insurance doesn't cover riots and insurrection. We are talking about millions who don't have a job tomorrow. We are talking about neighborhoods that were the social and cultural center for thousands of households and families. All ruined. All burned. All trashed. All gone. You should know more than I that the economic well-being of those caught up in the Rodney King riots never came back. We are talking about scores of communities now. These are blue communities and Democratic voters whose lives will forever be made worse.

But go ahead. You can keep thinking about property as if people aren't involved with property.
Damn! Given your eyes-wide perceptions, it's a real shame you nonetheless support the current activities of the one guy in the world who could have reduced the effect of COVID-19 and the Chauvin catastrophe on the U.S.

Keep whatever and carry on.

I’m not presuming that people are acting outraged. I’m observing them act outraged, among other things with signs and chants and emotional statements that express outrage about an outrageous event. You speculate that this is only an act — a pretext — and you baselessly speculate about what you imagine their “real” motivations are. That’s just stuff you’re making up. I’m not making anything up.

I’ve seen reports that some people have taken opportunistic advantage of the protests to engage in unrelated criminal behavior. This wouldn’t be surprising, but I don’t know if that’s true. And I’ve seen no reports suggesting that this opportunistic behavior is anything other than peripheral to the main event.

You "have seen reports"?? You speculate that it is "unrelated" and then accuse the poster of doing the same? Did you see the folks dragged from their stores and beaten in the street? Of course you did. Did you applaud?

God you are clueless.

You’ve seen reports but you don’t know if it’s true. Have you been in a cave with no WiFi? I have observed them acting opportunistically. See how that works....

You "have seen reports"?? You speculate that it is "unrelated" and then accuse the poster of doing the same? Did you see the folks dragged from their stores and beaten in the street? Of course you did. Did you applaud?

God you are clueless.
Posted at the same. Possibly the most disingenuous thing I’ve seen written by anyone in a very long time. Ridiculous.

You’ve seen reports but you don’t know if it’s true. Have you been in a cave with no WiFi? I have observed them acting opportunistically. See how that works....
Did the people you saw acting opportunistically act like they were outraged, or did you just observe white people committing crimes?

How on earth is destroying their own neighborhoods helping obtain that goal?
Oops. Did you mean that, really? Looks to me that they are trying to destroy the central business districts of those cities, not the residential areas. But I could be wrong --maybe you live in sports bars, restaurants and banks.

Did the people you saw acting opportunistically act like they were outraged, or did you just observe white people committing crimes?
Listen my friend. Your “I have seen reports” is such an absurd thing to write that you lack the honesty to justify the time it takes to respond to you. I’m out.

Heartbreaking

UNCONFIRMED but I hear that the storeowner that these misunderstood looters in Dallas dragged into the street and beat to a twisted pulp has died. If you watch MSNBC or CNN you likely have no reference to this situation because trump didn't wear a mask or something which required 24 hr focus.
Translation: I'm spreading a rumor.

Listen my friend. Your “I have seen reports” is such an absurd thing to write that you lack the honesty to justify the time it takes to respond to you. I’m out.
Okay. Let’s talk about the reports you saw. How did you know the people you saw were acting opportunistically? Did they pretend to be outraged when they acted opportunistically? What do you think motivated them to act opportunistically? Were they white nationalists? Antifa? Virtue signalers? Self actualizers? What is your basis for any of that?

Why do you persist in baseless claims? Like your baseless claim about celebrity endorsements, do you simply not realize they’re baseless claims?

Okay. Let’s talk about the reports you saw. How did you know the people you saw were acting opportunistically? Did they pretend to be outraged when they acted opportunistically? What do you think motivated them to act opportunistically? Were they white nationalists? Antifa? Virtue signalers? Self actualizers? What is your basis for any of that?

Why do you persist in baseless claims? Like your baseless claim about celebrity endorsements, do you simply not realize they’re baseless claims?
Again. You have zero awareness of what you write. You do exactly what you accuse of others of doing then deny same. You cherry pick stats with incomplete data and act like it’s dispositive; then have the temerity to feign ignorance of conflicting information. Why on Earth would anyone want to talk with you. As I said. I’m out.

Your self awareness is exactly....zero

Classic Projection

Well, I mean, Orange Man Bad.

Don Lemon is on CNN crying about us “teetering on the brink of a dictatorship” because Trump is calling up the military while simultaneously they’re showing videos of cities burning and looters running wild.

The lack of self awareness is simply stunning.
Yes, Trump's lack of self-awareness (or of any otherckind either) is simply stunning.
No. I was stated an openly unconfirmed story at the time. Translation of your post: his beating was justified.

KMA
So ..... "openly confirmed story" according to Courtsensetwo is truth, not rumor. We note that Courtsensetwo did not offer a link to a later account that confirmed his originally-endorsed "story" as being true with citations to detailed supporting facts.

That is not how real journalism works. But Courtsensetwo is, well, whatever he is.

Last edited:
Stunning ignorance on your part.

I also lead a fairly large organization and trying to work thorough how we grow as a group and individuals without dictating values.

Hope that helps
Translation: I'm really important and you should listen to me on an anonymous board even though I might be lying.

Oops. Did you mean that, really? Looks to me that they are trying to destroy the central business districts of those cities, not the residential areas. But I could be wrong --maybe you live in sports bars, restaurants and banks.
Since when are business districts not part of a neighborhood?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT