ADVERTISEMENT

If you could choose Woody's staff

Status
Not open for further replies.

BA47591

Recruit
Apr 11, 2024
S. Indiana
I started off thinking about why we don't have a lockdown tri-state recruiter and it occurred to me that Cheaney doesn't want the hassle and all the work that goes into it. He would do a fine job in Armond Hill's seat however.

Dane Fife
Orlando Antigua
Josh Pastner
Nolan Smith
Yasser Rosemond

No thanks on Dane FIfe. I wasn't a fan of him proselytizing his political beliefs on current players and actively poo-pooing NIL to the Filipowski family on a recruiting trip. Great guy and IU Player, but lacks common sense.

No thanks on Dane FIfe. I wasn't a fan of him proselytizing his political beliefs on current players and actively poo-pooing NIL to the Filipowski family on a recruiting trip. Great guy and IU Player, but lacks common sense.
Link?

So you don’t know shit.

LOL, I'm guessing you took a hiatus from the boards a couple years ago. You're welcome to doubt Rabjohns as many do, including myself in most cases, but he's the only one with press credentials who discussed the topic. These statements were corroborated by "insiders" on the other boards.

1tbv3szyzfp81.jpg

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: ulrey
LOL, I'm guessing you took a hiatus from the boards a couple years ago. You're welcome to doubt Rabjohns as many do, including myself in most cases, but he's the only one with press credentials who discussed the topic. These statements were corroborated by "insiders" on the other boards.

1tbv3szyzfp81.jpg
Rabjohns..

Rabjohns..
Love or hate Rabjohns.....why is Dane Fife still unemployed in the college basketball world?

He makes ~100k a year as a risk management consultant for an Indy based firm. He's certainly not in any kind of high demand for his basketball expertise and services.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Pryght
The issues outlined with Dane were pretty well known from several sources.
Right, but that was never the question (issues being outlined by several sources). The pushback here was that we heard of issues from “one side” and never heard Dane defend himself. Whatever really happened it did seem like there was a concerted smear campaign going on.

Right, but that was never the question (issues being outlined by several sources). The pushback here was that we heard of issues from “one side” and never heard Dane defend himself. Whatever really happened it did seem like there was a concerted smear campaign going on.
Perhaps Dane didn’t have a leg to stand on? It’s pretty telling that since being fired:

-wasn’t asked by Matta to join him at Butler after Matta hired him away from Mich St

-Mich St hasn’t extended an invitation back despite having multiple assistant openings the last three offseasons

-wasn’t even approached by his good friend Dusty May after taking the Michigan job.

Reactions: nichlee and Pryght

1tbv3szyzfp81.jpg
I thought also the players did not care for him - at all.

You think if items in the "smear campaign" weren't factual, or even if they were and Fife could spin them easily, that he wouldn't be loudly defending himself?

And to IndyResident's point...why hasn't he landed somewhere else?

I think its pretty clear that Dane essentially ended his coaching career, at least high level coaching career...with the things that have been widely reported.

Perhaps Dane didn’t have a leg to stand on? It’s pretty telling that since being fired:

-wasn’t asked by Matta to join him at Butler after Matta hired him away from Mich St

-Mich St hasn’t extended an invitation back despite having multiple assistant openings the last three offseasons

-wasn’t even approached by his good friend Dusty May after taking the Michigan job.
Perhaps. It’s also possible he is happy doing what he’s doing, and/or isn’t interested in being an assistant coach, or at least not recruiting.

If I could choose Woody's staff...and force Woody to be on board with it...

Without defining the positions and roles...

1. A coach that has head coaching experience, and has proven that he was a good college game and program manager, over an extended period of time...even if that person were to come from D2, D3, or NAIA schools.

2. A few dynamic recruiters. Smart, energetic, relatable to todays talented players, etc...

3. Someone with ties to young foreign player pipelines.

4. An analytics nerd.

5. Someone who's only job is to comb through tape, travel and watch in person, etc... HS prospects, but also ALL levels of college. This person's job would be to create lists of HS and college kids that Woody, and his recruiting staff will engage with and target.

6. An NIL expert.

Maybe. But Dane is free to speak up. If something said was seriously off he is free to correct to record.

Personally I don't care much.

You think if items in the "smear campaign" weren't factual, or even if they were and Fife could spin them easily, that he wouldn't be loudly defending himself?

And to IndyResident's point...why hasn't he landed somewhere else?

I think its pretty clear that Dane essentially ended his coaching career, at least high level coaching career...with the things that have been widely reported.
I have little doubt that it ended poorly and Dane probably didn’t do himself any favors on the way out.

Perhaps. It’s also possible he is happy doing what he’s doing, and/or isn’t interested in being an assistant coach, or at least not recruiting.
If the guy wasn’t interested in coaching, he wouldn’t have uprooted his entire family and moved them from East Lansing to Indy (to commute to Bloomington) for a lateral move.

Reactions: VanPastorMan
If the guy wasn’t interested in coaching, he wouldn’t have uprooted his entire family and moved them from East Lansing to Indy (to commute to Bloomington) for a lateral move.
I meant now. Obviously he wanted to be an assistant at IU.

I have little doubt that it ended poorly and Dane probably didn’t do himself any favors on the way out.
For sure...

But I can't fathom Dane just letting the record be what's now out there, if it weren't true.

The things that seem to be now accepted as factual regarding his NIL stance, and then his willingness to voice political views... those things alone will likely keep him from getting any sort of job at a high major program, any time soon.

Even if he doesn't care about coaching again, if the "record" isn't true, Dane would challenge it. He just would.

Reactions: nichlee
I meant now. Obviously he wanted to be an assistant at IU.
I know you meant now, I just don’t think a guy uproots his family and then has a change of heart about coaching while taking a job that pays significantly less all within a year. I think there’s a reason why Fife isn’t coaching high major basketball and it’s not because Fife doesn’t want to coach anymore.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Pryght and ulrey
I confess, I put Dane on there as a heat check. 🤪 He lost me after his organized group threat to administration after RMKs dismissal. He had a solid senior year but I never was a fan.

Three assistants can recruit off campus. Calbert would be great in that Armond Hill role, non-recruiting , help seal the deal on campus visits, while continuing the NBA prep and development plan of Woody's . Probably stay awake during the majority of our games.
Pastner I would turn loose on the midwest. He's a strong recruiter all the way into Texas. He's a former head coach with mixed results but I don't think he would step on Woodys toes.

Antigua and Kenny Payne are the best out there in terms of recruiting and development of bigs. So obviously I would take Antigua.

Rosemond.....he's carrying us right now. I'm not for sure of he's as good as Jai Lucas but he's our version.

Reactions: Bucket Getter

1tbv3szyzfp81.jpg
Rabby is in pocket with Woodson.

I confess, I put Dane on there as a heat check. 🤪 He lost me after his organized group threat to administration after RMKs dismissal. He had a solid senior year but I never was a fan.

Three assistants can recruit off campus. Calbert would be great in that Armond Hill role, non-recruiting , help seal the deal on campus visits, while continuing the NBA prep and development plan of Woody's . Probably stay awake during the majority of our games.
Pastner I would turn loose on the midwest. He's a strong recruiter all the way into Texas. He's a former head coach with mixed results but I don't think he would step on Woodys toes.

Antigua and Kenny Payne are the best out there in terms of recruiting and development of bigs. So obviously I would take Antigua.

Rosemond.....he's carrying us right now. I'm not for sure of he's as good as Jai Lucas but he's our version.
Excellent list! Lots of teachers of the game on that list.. 🤣

Why didn't they hire him back when Dwayne Stephens left to take the Western Michigan job? Why didn't they hire him back this offseason when Mark Montgomery took the Detroit job?
You think that little crybaby in East Lansing doesn’t have an enormous ego? Dane basically told him “screw this, I’m going home.” I can’t imagine a universe where Izzo says “all forgiven, come on back.”

You think that little crybaby in East Lansing doesn’t have an enormous ego? Dane basically told him “screw this, I’m going home.” I can’t imagine a universe where Izzo says “all forgiven, come on back.”
The guy who replaced Fife (Mark Montgomery) was rehired to a 2nd stint (and just left again). Izzo has rehired multiple assistant coaches throughout his tenure.

1tbv3szyzfp81.jpg
Didn't he also offer a recruit before getting CMW's approval? THought I heard something to that effect somewhere.

Reactions: Pryght
We need a game coach. We have recruiters.
IMO we'll all know for sure. Time for adjustment to the college game is over. I think a bit of a pass for some circumstances and training was OK for two years.

If this team doesn't absolutely kill it, then I'll know for sure. Loaded with talent. Still needs coached up though.

(I'm holding out hope. I want this to work, )

Reactions: Courtsensetwo
Didn't he also offer a recruit before getting CMW's approval? THought I heard something to that effect somewhere.
Yes, Colvin from Purdue. I believe the story was even worse, CMW specifically told Fife NOT to offer him (PUke legacy and all) and Dane did anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT