ADVERTISEMENT

If I ran the basketball world... (G League, FBI, NCAA, NBA)

Bloom.

Aug 28, 2001
Carmel, IN
twitter.com
TL;DR (I posted this elsewhere earlier today. Ignore the trolls but skip to the bold print if you don't care about the setup)

The NBA as a business has the collectively bargained right to establish standards of entry. They feel a year of mental, physical and emotional development outside of the player's home is of value to their league. Given the way their league has developed since instituting their draft rules, I'd say they made a wise decision.

That said, the NBA needs the baseball system in place, and while many more would agree this is more palatable for college basketball, most ignore one key aspect of this. Baseball players commit to colleges. They agree to scholarships. They sign National Letters of Intent (I think). When they get drafted, they don't lose their eligibility.

To be up front, I've never read any baseball specific NCAA rule relative to being drafted. However, as I understand them, NCAA needs to alter its basketball rules to function the same as baseball rules. This is the only way to make the G League a viable option for player entry, just as the minor league baseball system is for the MLB, without having a flood players have to make a career choice with only limited knowledge.

However, I hate the idea of kids not having the academic requirements for college hung over their head. I know many don't care. I know many who cover the game nationally don't care about academics. They wouldn't talk to freely about kids being eligible immediately. In fairness, the baseball system doesn't account for this either, but baseball has a much deeper minor league system.

I also hate the idea of agents being compelled to be at the high school level. I know they're lurking around, hiding in the shadows, using their runners as front men, but I'll get to this later.

I'd stipulate that any player who desires to be draft eligible directly out of high school, they must meet four criteria:

• You must be eligible as a freshman to play at the NCAA D1 level
    • this ensures the academic side of things, and it provides incentive for a safety net for the athlete should he not get drafted
    • this includes all rules involving maintaining amateur status (more on how the NBA would handle that later)
  • You must be committed to and sign an NLI
    • This allows colleges to recruit mostly normal and doesn't create a vortex of late summer decisions based on whether or not a player is drafted.
    • This also puts the onus on programs deciding which players to recruit, knowing the possibility exists.
    • (Doesn't address players who might not be close to draft ready but may wish to hold out for HM program who loses out on a kid. Unintended consequence.)
  • You must remain in the G League until at least the all-star break of your rookie year
    • This promotes development and forces clubs to get borderline rotation players plenty of opportunities to play, without bringing them back and forth.
    • This also throws the NBPA a bone by helping them preserve veteran jobs (at veteran salaries).
    • Gives teams a chance to see who really can help them, then decide later who could fit in or truly advance their rotations for the final third of the season.
    • (Let's face it, this would give some teams an excuse to tank games.)
  • You still must specifically declare for the draft between a certain period of time
    • Perhaps the spring signing period is April 1-10
    • Deadline to declare for the draft is April 24
Players who are not drafted or choose not to sign the team that drafts them, goes to their committed, but isn't draft eligible again for two years.

Players who are not eligible due to academics, no different than before, they go to a junior college program and push their way through to a four year school. They too would be eligible to enter the draft again

Agents (Relative to the NCAA)

• May talk to players who have met the pre-draft requirements (eligible, signed, declared).
  • Must register relationship with player to NBA so he can sponsor their trips to camps and workouts as part of the draft process
    • If player is not drafted, player is not liable to expenses incurred during draft process
    • If player is not drafted, player is not bound by any verbal agreement
    • If player is drafted, player is also not bound by any verbal agreement
  • Once player signs with an agent, his college eligibility is forfeited
Agents (Relative to the NBA)
  • Should an agent or representative of an agent violate communication and registration rules, they face penalties from the NBA relative to their certification.
    • First penalty - forfeiture of the ability to represent that client through his first contract
    • Second penalty - loss of NBA certification for two years
    • Third penalty - loss of NBA certification for life and agency loss of certification for one year
  • Should an agency have multiple agents going beyond first or second penalties, possible loss of agency certification for life

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News