ADVERTISEMENT

I fear that Cignetti…

My thoughts to above thoughts. Allen is a DC, hence State College. Guys landing in Alabama will learn something about organization. Something that wasn't in sight at IU. Bell was a terrible decision just as was several other hires displayed, absolute headshakers. Hiller was mediocre at best and then that went south. Inconsistent competent decision making is Allen's HCing resume whether it be staff hires, sideline or many times identifying offensive playmakers. 3 steps forward 2 back is no way to keep the sky from falling.

I don't think anyone questioned Allens ability to be a DC. All of us would take him as our DC any day so that is situational. Deboer and Wommack were great hires which led to a well-coached team. As for the others, do you feel like they've earned those spots through their achievements? Or does it feel more like Deboer hired a guy (Wommack) he knows he can leave alone to coach the defense while he then hires a yes-man as an OC who already knows what Deboer wants in the system so Deboer can focus on coaching that side of the ball? Meaning, those guys are just assistants to him being the real OC?

Hiller was a bad decision but so was Walt Bell, Charlton Warren, Nick Sheridan, Adam Henry, Chad Wilt....
So Warren is at North Carolina was previously at Florida and Georgia so perhaps they all made the same mistake. Sheridan left Iu and ended up at Washington coaching for a national title and now is at Alabama. Has to Be a mistake. Adam Henry is now with the Buffalo Bills after having coached the Browns, the 49ers and the Giants. Probably another mistake. Chad Wilt is now at Michigan State. we will see how that works out.

Reactions: vesuvius13
So Warren is at North Carolina was previously at Florida and Georgia so perhaps they all made the same mistake. Sheridan left Iu and ended up at Washington coaching for a national title and now is at Alabama. Has to Be a mistake. Adam Henry is now with the Buffalo Bills after having coached the Browns, the 49ers and the Giants. Probably another mistake. Chad Wilt is now at Michigan State. we will see how that works out.
Lets get all of the facts.

Sheridan was just a TE coach at Washington (not the OC so he had to take a step down the ladder). Now back as an OC at Alabama but given that DeBoer is an offensive minded coach, that may not mean a whole lot.

Adam Henry went from Co-OC to a WR coach. Coaching in the pros without having to recruit isn't really apples to apples but glad he landed on his feet.

Chad Wilt went from DC at IU to Co-DC at IU to now Co-Special Teams Coord at MSU. Seems a bit of a step down. I don't think special teams coordinators are quite as high on the ladder as OC or DC.

Regardless, in using 20/20 hindsight, do you think those coaches would have been hired had we known their results in advance?

Last edited:
Sheridan went from IU as an OC to UW as a TE coach (I think). Not a fair comparison. Some people reach their level of incompetence and I think Sheridan reached his here as OC.

A lot of selecting coaches is a crap shoot.

Lets get all of the facts.

Sheridan was just a TE coach at Washington (not the OC so he had to take a step down the ladder). Now back as an OC at Alabama but given that DeBoer is an offensive minded coach, that may not mean a whole lot.

Adam Henry went from Co-OC to a WR coach. Coaching in the pros without having to recruit isn't really apples to apples but glad he landed on his feet.

Chad Wilt went from DC at IU to Co-DC at IU to now Co-Special Teams Coord at MSU. Seems a bit of a step down. I don't think special teams coordinators are quite as high on the ladder as OC or DC.

Regardless, in using 20/20 hindsight, do you think those coaches would have been hired had we known their results in advance?
So first off Sheridan was recommended for the OC position at IU by Deboer. When he was let go by IU Deboer hired him at UW. He already had an OC whom he had a lot of familiarity with in Ryan Grubb. Deboer showed his faith in Sheridan by hiring him and now that the OC position has opened up with Grubb going to the Seahawks. He has chosen Sheridan for the position he recommended him for. Adam Henry was in reality the wr coach at IU the same as at IU. The title of co offensive coordinator is the game folks play in college to get more money for assistant coaches. He was part of the game planning which he still is now with the Bills but he was not a play caller at IU or now. Same with Wilt. He was just given the title co-coordinator but was never the play caller. As for Warren you are correct he stepped back position wise but probably got a pay raise and went to a program with a future Hall Of Fame coach. I am not going to sit here and argue that Allen ws a great coach, I was a big supporter of his. However he had a chance to save his job by winning probably 2 out of his last 3 games, he did not do it and thus he had to go. I am also just saying that some of the guys you say can't coach have ended up in most cases in better situations, so other people besides Tom Allen feel as they can coach. Hell even Hiller has landed as an analyst for Hugh Freeze at Auburn.

Reactions: Baller23Boogie
In my mind Warren must be the most certifiable, solid gold Vaseline salesmen along with a proficiency in smoke and mirrors in all of FB. Probably is also a heavy Dramamine user based on the # of post office boxes he's rented. He is 1 joke Allen did not procrastinate long to sack up and ship out. Can you imagine he held a position as an engineer in America's military?

Reactions: vesuvius13
Nobody could have seen it coming!
Jeez. I wander if anyone told a very experienced tight end that the onside kick was a live ball and if came toward that maybe he should jump on it? Nah probably never was told that...ever. I don't know if you ever coached and maybe V can verify. You talk about it all week long. You work all week long on something. You practice something and then the game comes and the kids do not execute it. Is that really the coaches fault? Or maybe is it the kids fault? Now if you work on something and the kid never gaccomplished what you wanted, then yes the kid should have been replaced and that is the coaches fault.

Jeez. I wander if anyone told a very experienced tight end that the onside kick was a live ball and if came toward that maybe he should jump on it? Nah probably never was told that...ever. I don't know if you ever coached and maybe V can verify. You talk about it all week long. You work all week long on something. You practice something and then the game comes and the kids do not execute it. Is that really the coaches fault? Or maybe is it the kids fault? Now if you work on something and the kid never gaccomplished what you wanted, then yes the kid should have been replaced and that is the coaches fault.
You don't think it would have been a good idea to line up a few more guys 10 yards from the ball? Like I've seen done thousands of time in anticipation of an onside kick?

Last edited:
…doesn’t yet have a realistic view of what it is going to take to be competitive in the B10. He’s filling this roster out with a bunch of former JMU and other Sun Belt level athletes. His arrogance could be leading him to believe that it won’t matter. There may be a sobering, reality check in store for us this fall….
After Allen I'd take a high school coach.
Oh wait ...

Reactions: bang63
Hmmm????… vs getting the kind of HS, and more recently, portal talent that CTA was bringing in that was supposedly “upgraded” that still underperformed on the field?…many whom never met expectations, nor seemingly got better or coached up?? The ‘21-‘23 seasons had better talent than their collective results, I think most here agree on.

I’ll be patient knowing this guy (and his assistant coaches) actually have had some experience winning at a lower level. Low bar, I know, but his JMU team probably would have out-executed IU most Saturday’s last season. IU, who supposedly should have better talent.

Other than the WMU DL (can’t recall his name) JMF and Ryder Anderson (a good pass rusher, whom CTA had dropping into coverage 50% of the time for some strange reason) what exactly have most of the these other P5 transfers CTA acquired in recent years, do by transferring “down” to IU? Not a lot from a W/L standpoint at least.

I’m kind of excited getting experienced, winning guys with a chip on their shoulder, being coached by many of the same staff that knows them. And more than that, hopefully looking well coached out there.

Competing in the Big 10 has always been a difficult road for IU. It’s unrealistic to think IU will compete for recruits against OSU, UM and PSU…not gonna happen. Coach Mal bemoaned this when recruiting Ohio kids 35 years ago, while having beaten OSU in ‘88 and ‘87 by a combined 72-17. He still couldn’t get top tier Ohio kids to even listen. Our sights need to be a bit lower…Let’s start beating the likes of Iowa, Illinois, PU, MSU, Rutgers and Northwestern ON THE FIELD (instead of choking away late leads against them) and maybe that will result in some better recruiting results off the field.
Forget Ohio kids, we are not going to beat Ohio State with kids they did not
want from Ohio. Get all of the Miami of Florida kids we can and the
best from Indiana we can get.

Reactions: td75 and vesuvius13
I'm tempering my expectations (in regard to our W total) with the reality that JMU only played 4 decent teams last Fall (Troy, S.Alabama, App. St. & A.F.) and lost to two of them (Air Force and Appalachian State)..., so that top 25 ranking may have been a bit of a mirage...

- Virginia had a really crummy team last Fall and and JMU barely beat them...-

Now you play the schedule you're dealt and they did well beating the teams they should have beaten but the narrative that they were somehow world beaters is simply overstated...

So..., based on that reality..., I'll be surprised if we do better than .500 this Fall if we're counting on all these JMU guys to carry the day... Hope I'm complete

I am, too.

165# corners and 215# linebackers have a little tougher time surviving in the Big Ten.

Reactions: 76-1 and vesuvius13
I coach players telling why we were doing things. A good example is getting ready for sectional championship, I changed where our rover dropped and how the corners would cover. My guys always moved to the QBs arm point to get a jump on the ball, I explained if we faced college QB we couldn't do that; since we played high school QBs we could get a jump on the ball. My guys asked what we would do about other routes and I explained [while running reps] the QB never threw to the out in that route combo. If he started throwing that out we would revert back to our original way of covering the routes.

I would break down how to tackle routes based on where it was on the field and where defensive teammates were IE do you tackle a curl on the outside hip or inside hip - was help coming from the corner or safety and LB. Every route had the same breakdown on how to attack it.

Last edited:
You're blaming one kid? Wow.

Maybe the coaches should've actually had the formation right, rather than some throw away comment they claimed they made, to 'watch for it'. And then afterward blame the player.

Lame.

The COACH(ES) choked. Not the tight end.

I'll bet you right now Cig isn't going to toss guys under the bus when they make a mistake. Nor will he mouth some platitudes about 'we gotta correct some things'. He will actually, 'correct some things' if they happen.

I'm tempering my expectations (in regard to our W total) with the reality that JMU only played 4 decent teams last Fall (Troy, S.Alabama, App. St. & A.F.) and lost to two of them (Air Force and Appalachian State)..., so that top 25 ranking may have been a bit of a mirage...

- Virginia had a really crummy team last Fall and and JMU barely beat them...-

Now you play the schedule you're dealt and they did well beating the teams they should have beaten but the narrative that they were somehow world beaters is simply overstated...

So..., based on that reality..., I'll be surprised if we do better than .500 this Fall if we're counting on all these JMU guys to carry the day... Hope I'm completely wrong and we Win em all...
We'd be favored to win the Sun Belt LOL

Reactions: 76-1
I coach players telling why we were doing things. A good example is getting ready for section championship I changed where our rover dropped and how the corners would cover. My guys always moved to the QBs arm point to get a jump on the ball, I explained if we faced college QB we couldn't do that; since we played high school QBs we could get a jump on the ball. My guys asked what we would do about other routes and I explained [while running reps] the AQB never threw to the out in that route combo. If he started throwing that out we would revert back to our original way of covering the routes.

I would break down how to tackle routes based on where it was on the field and where defensive teammates were IE do you tackle a curl on the outside hip or inside hip - was help coming from the corner or safety and LB. Every route had the same breakdown on how to attack it.
Easy to understand why you lead a state Champion Team.

Easy to understand why you lead a state Champion Team.
Reminds me of junior high and high school basketball practice, but in the opposite not great way.

I boxed out a guy on the shot side of the rim on a shot from the side, when I could've taken the guy on the far side. Coach told me I should've had that rebound that skipped across the rim to the far side. He told me more shots go across the rim then come short so I had hustled to the wrong spot.
I was a bit upset that it took until my fourth coach since sixth grade to explain that to me. I did it that way ever since and definitely got more boards. I hadn't figured it out on my own. Coaches shouldn't assume too much, they need to teach dumbnuts like me.

It's not like Sheridan had all that much time with DeBoer before DeBoer left Indiana. DeBoer wasn't here long.
I figure Sheridan is probably a smarter coach now after more years under DeBoer. Unless he's a moron, and he likely isn't. Clearly DeBoer doesn't think so.
Sheridan wasn't ready to be OC when he was here. It doesn't make him Walt Bell.
He's probably a lot more ready now, And if the head coach overrides his offensive game plan or calls sometimes, at least it's DeBoer overriding now and not Coach Allen.

The Bell Curve never lies.

The elite - the top 2-3% - will almost always prevail against the non-elite teams. The bottom 97% will catch a fluke here or there - maybe weird weather or a flu bug or a big play. But mostly, nearly always, the elites battle each other and stomp the rest.

But … take the 47-48% that are in the upper half but are still non-elite. That vast array of non-elites are much more equal. What can give a team in THAT group an edge on the typical game day against other non-elite teams?

1. Coaching.

2. QB play.

2A. OL play.

3. Rush defense - winning third and short.

3A. Secondary defense - minimal big plays.

These days, the second-tier 47% can get 2 wins by scheduling a Patsy in the bottom half, and will lose 2 to the elite in their conference. The other 8 are “winnable” AND “loseable” - and coaching that produces confident, effective QB’s and corners is the main factor in those 8.

I like our chances to keep Cig’s streak alive.

You don't think it would have been a good idea to line up a few more guys 10 yards from the ball? Like I've seen done thousands of time in anticipation of an inside kick?
At times if you put too many guys in the area it creates confusion and indecision as to has the ball. Apparently it still was present as Hendershot for some unknown reason did not go after the ball. I do concur I probably would have gone with all 5 on the front line. But I also was not in practice or in the huddle and do not know what was discussed. I also know that my guys are instructed to not retreat until the ball is past them. That is standard practice.

In my mind Warren must be the most certifiable, solid gold Vaseline salesmen along with a proficiency in smoke and mirrors in all of FB. Probably is also a heavy Dramamine user based on the # of post office boxes he's rented. He is 1 joke Allen did not procrastinate long to sack up and ship out. Can you imagine he held a position as an engineer in America's military?

Yes, hard to imagine..............

Yes, hard to imagine..............

Highlighting a highly qualified person that has achieved high levels of success across multiple roles is an interesting way to make your point on Warren. It’s almost like you are either highly prejudice or don’t understand how to intelligently make a point without pandering to the lowest common denominators.

Highlighting a highly qualified person that has achieved high levels of success across multiple roles is an interesting way to make your point on Warren. It’s almost like you are either highly prejudice or don’t understand how to intelligently make a point without pandering to the lowest common denominators.
This ****ing idiot wants to give blockers to kids. He's a loon.

I think the sobering reality he's already experiencing. It's tough getting the very best players when you're Indiana, and the conference has Michigan. Penn State, Ohio State, and more. and another conference has 'Bama, Tennesse, LSU, Auburn and more.

I really doubt it has all that much to do with illusion. But the best players from Sun Belt should be OK for year one. His other early grabs such as Price and Rourke, and McCulley, and others clearly can play.
My worry is not as many of the subset of guys who can clearly play are on the defense.

I also worried about the same thing, an illusion out of arrogance. But this guy has coached way too many years for that to be much of a factor. So then I thought "what else was he supposed to do, year one?" He has a philosophy of type of character he wants, and production. Where else can he get that right now? He even thought McCulley was gone and called him and Rourke "a big day." So he knows players.
I agree. I don’t think he has delusions. Just hard to recruit to IU and an unknown coach at this level.
JMU guys may or may not be Ohio State level but they do know the system and that should count a lot.

I agree. I don’t think he has delusions. Just hard to recruit to IU and an unknown coach at this level.
JMU guys may or may not be Ohio State level but they do know the system and that should count a lot.
Do we all agree that a system is more important than talent? I'm not saying having talent isn't important but what's the most important of the two? I look at what IU did under Deboer and Womack yet in 2021 with even more veteran talent, how quickly that whole thing fell apart.

So as you stated, the players already knowing the system certainly helps but if the system that talent already understands is also a good one, that's 2 things in our favor already. If the system is no good, then it likely doesn't even matter what talent we have.

Do we all agree that a system is more important than talent? I'm not saying having talent isn't important but what's the most important of the two? I look at what IU did under Deboer and Womack yet in 2021 with even more veteran talent, how quickly that whole thing fell apart.

So as you stated, the players already knowing the system certainly helps but if the system that talent already understands is also a good one, that's 2 things in our favor already. If the system is no good, then it likely doesn't even matter what talent we have.
Yes, a good system lets you win some games you shouldn't win but talent will overcome system. I hope working hard and a good system lets IU win eight or more wins this year.

Reactions: midwolfe
Yes, a good system lets you win some games you shouldn't win but talent will overcome system. I hope working hard and a good system lets IU win eight or more wins this year.
I know what you mean. I don't think the best system wins every game, but the good system can make players appear more talented. I think the separation in college sports is the OL/DL and the system. The success of the team rests on those 2 lines coupled with the system the coach runs. If you can improve on all 3 of those areas, you can win a lot of games.

…doesn’t yet have a realistic view of what it is going to take to be competitive in the B10. He’s filling this roster out with a bunch of former JMU and other Sun Belt level athletes. His arrogance could be leading him to believe that it won’t matter. There may be a sobering, reality check in store for us this fall….
Can it get worse than what it has been for the past couple of years? One could argue we didn't have many B10 player to start with. Sunbelt v MAC players at IU perhaps a lateral move. I'll wait and see what happens on the field.

I know what you mean. I don't think the best system wins every game, but the good system can make players appear more talented. I think the separation in college sports is the OL/DL and the system. The success of the team rests on those 2 lines coupled with the system the coach runs. If you can improve on all 3 of those areas, you can win a lot of games.
I agree with your points and hope it leads to success this season.

Can it get worse than what it has been for the past couple of years? One could argue we didn't have many B10 player to start with. Sunbelt v MAC players at IU perhaps a lateral move. I'll wait and see what happens on the field.
We have played a lot of MAC teams and we've seen players on those teams who were vastly more talented than what we had on our team. We seem to be only taking JMUs best starters and one can surmise they will improve year over year. Think of it as pulling last seasons JMU and IU rosters together and making the best team you can out of it (sans transfers/graduates).

If other talent surpasses a JMU player currently in front of them on the depth chart, it's because that player earned it by matching or surpassing the JMU players effort needed in order to be successful. Its a foundation for change.

Remember when everyone bitched about our oline having no talent? Then they all transferred and went to big name schools. It's just unreal how people just can't see reality.

Reactions: It Will Do and DANC
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT