ADVERTISEMENT

Hook and hold

MichiganHoosier

Redshirt
Oct 30, 2001
We get caught with hook and hold a lot. Is this being taught by coaches? Rarely see opponents doing it. Nor does it appear our players are admonished when T'd up for it.

We get caught with hook and hold a lot. Is this being taught by coaches? Rarely see opponents doing it. Nor does it appear our players are admonished when T'd up for it.
I don’t think we practice fundamentals much. I’ve never seen a team not box out like this one. I’ve never seen a team take as many stupid shots as this one.

Walker comes in at let’s go a horrendous three. That would never be allowed under a good coach, he would never take a three. Obviously if you are open you can shoot was told to Walker. That should be cause for firing right there. Not to mention the ridiculous plays ran to take long twos. Just horrid coaching.

I thought the call on Sparks was awful. Later in the game, they reviewed that foul call on Cupps on the made 3 pointer. The Northwestern player clearly had Cupps in a hook and hold, but no call was made on that one. We don't get any calls. Woodson needs to get a T of his own at some point. The players have more than the head coach. Not sure I've ever seen that before in my life.

I don’t think we practice fundamentals much. I’ve never seen a team not box out like this one. I’ve never seen a team take as many stupid shots as this one.

Walker comes in at let’s go a horrendous three. That would never be allowed under a good coach, he would never take a three. Obviously if you are open you can shoot was told to Walker. That should be cause for firing right there. Not to mention the ridiculous plays ran to take long twos. Just horrid coaching.
I have been open to the reasons I wanted Woodson to succeed but his well-meaning desire to bring back the Hoosiers of his playing days is not happening under his leadership. This team has usually two 5-10 minute stretches every game where they look like a decent team. The Kansas game was the closest we came to a complete game this year.

Our lackluster play, poor shooting, lazy passes, poor free throw shooting, poor defensive fundamentals, lazy close out on shooters, poor communication on defense, failing to stay in front of penetration, failure to block out are just a few of the team deficiencies.

This is hard for me to say because I admit to wanting to support all Hoosier sports and not to be negative. I sure am glad that I am a 24/7 sports fan and still enjoying our women's team and other sports playing now. I enjoyed watching both baseball and softball games this weekend.

Softball team should probably be ranked after their start and the baseball team got a top 20 win over Coastal Carolina on their home field. The one loss was to a 12th ranked Duke team. The softball team lost a close one to a ranked team and beat another ranked team.

Go Hoosier sports teams and hold the men's staff accountable.

I have been open to the reasons I wanted Woodson to succeed but his well-meaning desire to bring back the Hoosiers of his playing days is not happening under his leadership. This team has usually two 5-10 minute stretches every game where they look like a decent team. The Kansas game was the closest we came to a complete game this year.

Our lackluster play, poor shooting, lazy passes, poor free throw shooting, poor defensive fundamentals, lazy close out on shooters, poor communication on defense, failing to stay in front of penetration, failure to block out are just a few of the team deficiencies.

This is hard for me to say because I admit to wanting to support all Hoosier sports and not to be negative. I sure am glad that I am a 24/7 sports fan and still enjoying our women's team and other sports playing now. I enjoyed watching both baseball and softball games this weekend.

Softball team should probably be ranked after their start and the baseball team got a top 20 win over Coastal Carolina on their home field. The one loss was to a 12th ranked Duke team. The softball team lost a close one to a ranked team and beat another ranked team.

Unfortunately I just watch men’s bball. I envy you.

Unfortunately I just watch men’s bball. I envy you.
I admit that it keeps me sane that I will be watching the women on national TV today and at the Iowa game in row 8 on Thursday night. It will be electric environment.

• Love
Reactions: Cavanagh
I thought the call on Sparks was awful. Later in the game, they reviewed that foul call on Cupps on the made 3 pointer. The Northwestern player clearly had Cupps in a hook and hold, but no call was made on that one. We don't get any calls. Woodson needs to get a T of his own at some point. The players have more than the head coach. Not sure I've ever seen that before in my life.
Surprised at how often the HnH is alleged and look for. I would need to see the Sparks call again but felt like they got tied up on the over the back.

Surprised at how often the HnH is alleged and look for. I would need to see the Sparks call again but felt like they got tied up on the over the back.
It feels like we have gotten jobbed on reviews just about every single time this year, I believe the initial call was the over the back. It looked obvious. Then the silly ass wrestling move took place. Review ensued and they get 2 fts and the ball. That’s a killer.

Cupps gets tangled up trying (at least a little) to box out underneath on a made 3. Officials talk and decide common foul. NW launches another 3 that misses. Could easily have been a 6 pt trip.

No marginally talented team (with the lousiest coaching staff ever seen around here) can overcome those types of plays. Doomsday scenario over and over with this bunch. Even at home. The formerly hallowed Assembly Hall.

Don’t get hostile, this is a legitimate question:

Have you ever been allowed into a practice? Or do you know anyone who has? I’d honestly like to know what it is they actually work on. It’s hard for me to believe they EVER work on fundamentals like Woody was forced to do under RMK. I saw with my own eyes the drills they did virtually every day at every practice before getting into actual offensive or defensive situations.

Reactions: 4IUSox2
Don’t get hostile, this is a legitimate question:

Have you ever been allowed into a practice? Or do you know anyone who has? I’d honestly like to know what it is they actually work on. It’s hard for me to believe they EVER work on fundamentals like Woody was forced to do under RMK. I saw with my own eyes the drills they did virtually every day at every practice before getting into actual offensive or defensive situations.
I have a family member who is an Indiana high school coach. They get to occasionally view practices at PU, IU and ND.
IU practice he was at looked like a AAU practice he said.
Purdue was ran like a machine, timers, sprinting between drills and coaches at every spot barking at players. Totally different styles of coaching.

• Wow
Reactions: Bucket Getter

Baseball cracked the top 25 this morning, coming in at 23 I think

I have a family member who is an Indiana high school coach. They get to occasionally view practices at PU, IU and ND.
Purdue was ran like a machine, timers, sprinting between drills and coaches at every spot barking at players. Totally different styles of coaching.
Run

• Haha
Reactions: Bucket Getter
I’ll admit I don’t know the first thing about an AAU practice, but it doesn’t surprise me at all Purdue’s practice looks more professional. It shows.

The next time IU moves its feet to play defense will be the first time. I've given up hope of seeing good basketball from IU this year. Don't get me started on all the techs called against IU. Most I've ever seen and not a consequence for the players is seen on the horizon.
Cupps moved his feet. Buie could not get by him, he tried. Cupps was all over him. One area we suck is interior passing. TJD spoiled us. Ware and Renault make so many stupid passes instead of passing it back out for the open 3.

Reactions: 4IUSox2 and Shuski
Love him or hate him Crean was said to run practices and drills like a well-oiled machine. I am not surprised that PU and Painter are like that. I think Archie's team practiced fundamentals, but they never really got good at the defensive scheme like Virginia.

Love him or hate him Crean was said to run practices and drills like a well-oiled machine. I am not surprised that PU and Painter are like that. I think Archie's team practiced fundamentals, but they never really got good at the defensive scheme like Virginia.
Crean probably to a fault, as I recall one of the criticisms of his practices is he never tapered as the season went on and players were exhausted by tournament time.

Baseball cracked the top 25 this morning, coming in at 23 I think
Yes, that is correct the win over Coastal was big who stayed 25th even with losses to Duke and IU.

No Big Ten softball team ranked but based on today's voting Nebraska, Northwestern and Indiana would be 26th, 27th and IU 28th. They lost one game this weekend or I think they would have snuck in at 24 or 25th. The baseball team is playing tomorrow against Miami of Ohio in Bloomington and then go to Texas this weekend for a 3-game series with Baylor.

Softball will be in Tucson, AZ this weekend with 5 games including two against an always good Arizona team. They also have a win against a ranked Oregon team and a 3-2 loss to a high ranked Clemson team.

This is very True on Crean.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT