ADVERTISEMENT

Hire Paul Chryst! Go Hoosiers! (EOM)

No!

Paul Chryst doesn't like to recruit.

Paul Chryst doesn't like NIL.

Why would you want him?
This was def the talk around Madtown when he got fired. I think he is done in today's major football. I would rather Jim Leonard... which I'm a bit surprised hasn't come up a bit with some of these HC openings.

No!

Paul Chryst doesn't like to recruit.

Paul Chryst doesn't like NIL.

Why would you want him?
His history of winning would be one reason to want him. His experience as a head coach would be a second. He's be the most qualified candidate to ever take the position. He's not my top choice, but he'd be a good choice. Mike Hart would be the worst choice. If you pick an assistant coach he'd better be absolutely elite as a coordinator. Nobody meets that standard that has been talked about (Jeff Lebby would have)

Reactions: 76-1
His history of winning would be one reason to want him. His experience as a head coach would be a second. He's be the most qualified candidate to ever take the position. He's not my top choice, but he'd be a good choice. Mike Hart would be the worst choice. If you pick an assistant coach he'd better be absolutely elite as a coordinator. Nobody meets that standard that has been talked about (Jeff Lebby would have)
He's an excellent coach for the previous system. However, like CTA said himself... CFB is a different animal now. Either you evolve with it or you get left behind.

Chryst got left behind.

He's an excellent coach for the previous system. However, like CTA said himself... CFB is a different animal now. Either you evolve with it or you get left behind.

Chryst got left bebehind.
He coached for 8 years in the B10 and was COY twice. I'd love to see him fall behind again like that at IU.

He would be the most qualified football coach at IU ever. Seems like the most sensible choice, which probably rules him out.

He coached for 8 years in the B10 and was COY twice. I'd love to see him fall behind again like that at IU.

He would be the most qualified football coach at IU ever. Seems like the most sensible choice, which probably rules him out.
Very true.

But that was before the Portal. Before NIL.

Don't you think it's curious that a coach with such a successful track record hasn't yet been hired anywhere?

There's a good, a very good reason he isn't a Head Coach anymore.

Chryst got left behind.
That's a huge reason why Purdue hired Walters. Young, energetic with a high ceiling. Has to adapt to the new ways of doing things.

I think iu would be smart to try something similar.

67-26 overall and 43-18 in conference play at Whisky. He should be hired this evening with a HEALTHY staffing budget.

Make it happen, Scott!

Reactions: 76-1 and bdhman
He managed to keep what Wisconsin already had going, going. He didn't improve it.

I said earlier I did want him, but I really don't know if he could build a program.

He managed to keep what Wisconsin already had going, going. He didn't improve it.

I said earlier I did want him, but I really don't know if he could build a program.
I don't know who at Wisconsin was responsible, but if Chryst is the guy who recruited their linemen, I'm all for him. College football is still a very simple game. If you have superior offensive and defensive lines, you win. If you are weak in those areas, you struggle. If IU, under CTA had been able to run block, protect the pocket, and put consistent pressure on opposing QBs, we would have been bowling every year.

Very true.

But that was before the Portal. Before NIL.

Don't you think it's curious that a coach with such a successful track record hasn't yet been hired anywhere?

There's a good, a very good reason he isn't a Head Coach anymore.
No. I read that he turned down an interview with Northwestern, took a job at Texas, and interviewed with Oregon State yesterday. And he got paid when he left Wisconsin, not exactly out of the the game.

No. I read that he turned down an interview with Northwestern, took a job at Texas, and interviewed with Oregon State yesterday. And he got paid when he left Wisconsin, not exactly out of the the game.
He's an analyst, fine.

Tom's getting paid too but that doesn't mean much.

Northwestern is not attractive right now, so I'm not surprised he turned it down.

Oregon State's HC just left because they're getting relegated to the Mountain West Conference. How much money will they have to pay a top coach?

Like I said before, if it was 5 years ago, great. Sign him up. But today's CFB is different now. He needs to show that he can evolve with the game.

Reactions: nichlee
I don't know who at Wisconsin was responsible, but if Chryst is the guy who recruited their linemen, I'm all for him. College football is still a very simple game. If you have superior offensive and defensive lines, you win. If you are weak in those areas, you struggle. If IU, under CTA had been able to run block, protect the pocket, and put consistent pressure on opposing QBs, we would have been bowling every year.
Wisconsin is the only game in the state no competition for lineman. That was noticed by Alvarez as soon as he got to Wis.

I would be OK with Chryst if he can pull in Jim Leonhard as DC.
I would think all of the above concerns regarding NIL, recruiting, etc... would be discussed and addressed by the school, and even the search firm...

Those concerns, to me, aren't huge ones. As long as he's generally on board with the direction college football is taking, and knows that Indiana needs to be a part of that too... I don't think there'd be a problem if he had an edge to him about transfers, NIL stuff, etc... Especially if he's surrounded with a good, dynamic staff that will be active recruiting, and active staying modern with recruiting and NIL stuff.

Chryst, I'm sure, could manage the program, manage the team, manage the types of kids he wants, act as a "closer" in recruitments, etc... and not have to fully be active or on board with the new NIL, recruiting dynamics.

He isn't my first choice...but we could do A LOT worse. And if getting Chryst would mean getting Leonard as the DC, keeping Bostad as OC, and maybe we could still land someone like Hart as OC... THEN, I think that elevates Chryst to a top contender for me. That'd be the best overall coaching staff IU has ever had, by a wide margin.

Reactions: midwolfe and 76-1
I would think all of the above concerns regarding NIL, recruiting, etc... would be discussed and addressed by the school, and even the search firm...

Those concerns, to me, aren't huge ones. As long as he's generally on board with the direction college football is taking, and knows that Indiana needs to be a part of that too... I don't think there'd be a problem if he had an edge to him about transfers, NIL stuff, etc... Especially if he's surrounded with a good, dynamic staff that will be active recruiting, and active staying modern with recruiting and NIL stuff.

Chryst, I'm sure, could manage the program, manage the team, manage the types of kids he wants, act as a "closer" in recruitments, etc... and not have to fully be active or on board with the new NIL, recruiting dynamics.

He isn't my first choice...but we could do A LOT worse. And if getting Chryst would mean getting Leonard as the DC, keeping Bostad as OC, and maybe we could still land someone like Hart as OC... THEN, I think that elevates Chryst to a top contender for me. That'd be the best overall coaching staff IU has ever had, by a wide margin.
Good post. Who is your first choice?

DING DING DING....you mentioned a lot of things that my person said as well. Again, a lot of speculating, but they're hearing some things as well.

Hart only has an interest in IU so he'll be in an advantageous position to springboard back to AA when Harbaugh pulls the ripcord. No advantage for IUFB hosting him for RB coach, OC or RGC. Better coaching available elsewhere.

I don't think that's likely. Chryst has pulicly revealed that he doesn't like NIL or the portal, & those are required tasks in today's CFB..

Good post. Who is your first choice?
Not sure. I wouldn’t say Cignetti or Herman aren’t my “first choice” though if they were hired. So those two maybe up there for top choices.

Chryst would be behind them with Candle probably. And I think having a dynamic staff like has been mentioned, would be more necessary with Chryst than the other names I mentioned. Chryst/Leonard would be hard to be upset about. Chryst without Leonard becomes much less appealing…though still solid.

Rabby says Herman is being passed over.

Chryst, Cignetti and Candle are the frontrunners in his opinion.

This was def the talk around Madtown when he got fired. I think he is done in today's major football. I would rather Jim Leonard... which I'm a bit surprised hasn't come up a bit with some of these HC openings.
Also surprised it seems everyone has forgotten about Jim Leonhard. I've felt like he was in line to get a HC job for a few years now with how good he made that Wisco defense but I've also heard he seems to be very choosy in where he wants to go so my guess is he's content to just sit behind the scenes in Urbana Champaign until he gets a job he really likes.

Reactions: BoilerN and nichlee
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT