ADVERTISEMENT

HBP

cd_hoosiers

Junior
Sep 19, 2001
I didn't get a chance to see the game and I'm curious after reading that the ump behind the plate issued warnings to both dugouts and the comments below from the KY side.

[UK's Hunter Gilliam says Kentucky incorporated getting hit by pitches into their pregame before tonight's game – an idea initiated by catcher Chase Stanke. Head coach Nick Mingione, while laughing: "This is not normal."]

I used to umpire and have seen the strategy used by teams where an inside pitch is either a strike or a HBP. I won't name the teams but I called a HS sectional game between two nasty Indy arear rivals and had to issue warnings on using the strategy when an HBP became a called strike. I heard the radio guys behind me between innings talking about it and agreed it was the right call.

I'm wondering if it was an obvious UK strategy and do we think the ump yesterday let it get away from him?

Also curious about the Iowa - ISU game. Just not normal for that many HBP.

No chance to watch now since Maryland is out but Luke Schleger the lead off hitter notorious for toes of shoes right at the left batter box edge line. Definitely a leader in hbp in big. I’m no rules expert so assumed it’s legal and forces pitcher to have total control. Seiler for IU and others of our 8-9 hbp yesterday seemed a good chunk were off speed attempts just poorly executed and a reflection of the quality of the talent on the mound for us to me at least. UK did their homework. Wake forest ace had no problems throwing inside on schleger rest of um lineup. Obviously works in college bb but wouldn’t in big league

They had multiple guys basically touching the box and leaning in. Even the ones with normal stances were striding into the plate with their front foot. Anything an inch inside ended up hitting them in those damn elbow guards or their back feet. Total garbage way to play. Similar to flopping in basketball.

I kept hoping IU had someone who could throw 97-98 bring some inside high heat. Then we’d find out how funny that type of approach is. Almost every time it was a 75 mph loose curveball that would hurt a gnat. 🤬🤬🤬

Reactions: GolfHacker1
Iowa hit 10 ISU batters in their loss yesterday. I don't think the Sycamores practice getting hit like the UK players do. The UK coach thinks it's great for the game to try to intentionally get hit in games since he openly admitted that he had a special bunch that is willing to stand in there and intentionally get hit in practice.

worked CBB for 14 years......The rule is stupid, written poorly, and puts to much onus on the HP guy. It needs reworked, rewritten altogether....

The rule is fairly clear IMO.

If the pitch is within the batters box then no attempt to avoid is required.

But it's also clear that uk is teaching the practice to turn into pitches.

The first batter typically wipes the inside line on the box so umpires are forced to interpret 6 inches off the plate in real time to define the box. And unless an umpire is willing to call a strike instead of hbp then it becomes a successful strategy even though IMO it violates the Code of Ethics in a couple ways...it's dirty pool and everyone intimate with the game knows it.

I'm glad and respect that Mercer isn't teaching that garbage.

The rule is fairly clear IMO.

If the pitch is within the batters box then no attempt to avoid is required.

But it's also clear that uk is teaching the practice to turn into pitches.

The first batter typically wipes the inside line on the box so umpires are forced to interpret 6 inches off the plate in real time to define the box. And unless an umpire is willing to call a strike instead of hbp then it becomes a successful strategy even though IMO it violates the Code of Ethics in a couple ways...it's dirty pool and everyone intimate with the game knows it.

I'm glad and respect that Mercer isn't teaching that garbage.
If he was wipoing off the line, kudos to him----since its PAINT.

How many pitches within the batters box,actually hit someone? Lot more variables...Like, "attempt" to move....Sure a curve ball,off speed, etc....you can gauge that....But a 95mph 2 seamer that has 4" run on it? And you are looking for something away? Yeah like to see you "attempt" to get out of the way of that...

"Attempt to move"is a dumb fukin rule...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT