ADVERTISEMENT

Globalization

They aren't available like I said. That is not a legit reason and everything can be made to fit. ANY Mustang electric or GT, Shelby, or 6 cylinder would be attractive as well as a Camaro or Vette. I have no idea what you're going off and I appreciate your opinion, but one other thing about American cars they aren't as hard to maintain. Some euro cars oil changes are in the hundreds. Its ridiculous. The point is as the dialogue went why not American cars over there.

One of the coolest Fords in Thailand and Southeast Asia is the Everest. Sells pretty good too. I saw some tricked out ones that were super sharp looking. Anyways, unless you have the built in prejudice of the Top Gear guys towards American vehicles to say they wouldn't work or be wanted in foreign countries like Germany is not fair.
Then they just don't want them. We are Germany's third largest trade partner and they out spend us per person in the partnership. So it's not anything political id say. Merely capitalism at work I guess.

china's labor costs (relative to ours) make their margins a quarter.

We can't match it. We're, as they say, fooked.
Do we make a decent American sedan? Like an a6 4/5 series Lexus whatever they are 300 or something Infiniti

That’s right. Jeremy clarkson’s favorite car is a vw gti. Boy racer
The new Honda Civic Type R is nice. And it’s a Honda. Pretty spotless maintenance record forever and you can beat the shit out of them.

Ford used to make a Focus RS which was badass but you can’t get it in the US anymore. Hatchback.

Side note: hatchbacks are the original crossover. Before crossovers were a thing. Also, Americans should go back to station wagons. But like how Mercedes, BMW, and Audi make them.

2024-mercedes-benz-e-class-103-64f2208293e41.jpg

Reactions: UncleMark
You can't buy a Ford or GM in Germany. LOL. Sounds like a Seinfeld episode and trying to get an apartment in Tuscany.

The new Honda Civic Type R is nice. And it’s a Honda. Pretty spotless maintenance record forever and you can beat the shit out of them.

Ford used to make a Focus RS which was badass but you can’t get it in the US anymore. Hatchback.

Side note: hatchbacks are the original crossover. Before crossovers were a thing. Also, Americans should go back to station wagons. But like how Mercedes, BMW, and Audi make them.

yeah cosign. i've always liked wagons. the audi allroad. i guess there just isn't much of a market for them

Reactions: larsIU

my fing ex wife is texting me that she needs to go to the ER. at rush hour. i hope a suburban runs me over crossing the street

• Haha
Reactions: larsIU
yeah cosign. i've always liked wagons. the audi allroad. i guess there just isn't much of a market for them
Hahaha I just saw this the other night. I'm stuck watching Top Gear re-runs. This was a good one and both of these are sweet. Probably don't make em anymore but here goes 4 minutes worth.

And at the end of the 4 minutes we get our answer why everything is suv AWD or 4WD now

Last edited:
they don't want our cars.

The Middle East on the other hand? Sure.

Euros are going to be buying Chinese EVs and soon. We're going to miss the boat entirely.
NYT: “The world’s two most powerful countries, the United States and China, are meeting this week in Washington to talk about climate change. And also their relationship issues.”

“In an ideal world, where the clean energy transition was the top priority, they would be on friendlier terms. Maybe affordable Chinese-made electric vehicles would be widely sold in America, instead of being viewed as an economic threat. Or there would be less need to dig a lithium mine at an environmentally sensitive site in Nevada, because lithium, which is essential for batteries, could be bought worry-free from China, which controls the world’s supply.”

1. “In an ideal world”
2. “Environmentally sensitive”
3. “Worry-free”

Progressives

NYT: “The world’s two most powerful countries, the United States and China, are meeting this week in Washington to talk about climate change. And also their relationship issues.”

“In an ideal world, where the clean energy transition was the top priority, they would be on friendlier terms. Maybe affordable Chinese-made electric vehicles would be widely sold in America, instead of being viewed as an economic threat. Or there would be less need to dig a lithium mine at an environmentally sensitive site in Nevada, because lithium, which is essential for batteries, could be bought worry-free from China, which controls the world’s supply.”

1. “In an ideal world”
2. “Environmentally sensitive”
3. “Worry-free”

Progressives
Yeah that’s just patent dumbassery right there.

We shouldn’t just cede battery development and EV production to a country that would definitely **** us over. And anybody that says so is a moron (the writer, obviously not you).

china's labor costs (relative to ours) make their margins a quarter.

We can't match it. We're, as they say, fooked.

Stop thinking in terms of low value and start appreciating value. I'm not saying that Adam Smith's concepts were flawless, but there is something to consider regarding Comparative Advantage. China is ideally suited for low value products (think basic plastic and metal processing). It certainly has improved its capabilities to add some low tech functionality (think lower tech medical devices, basic electromechanical needs, etc.) over the years, but the quality continues to lag high precision manufacturing areas, such as the U.S., Japan, Korea, Germany, Switzerland, Sweden, etc.

To expand on @mrhighlife 's point, China is obsessed with chasing dollars, in aggregate, at the top line and margin level. But, if you look at the value provided, it's nowhere close to those other aforementioned countries. Sometimes, the financials tell the best story.

Last edited:
Stop thinking in terms of low value and start appreciating value. I'm not saying that Adam Smith's concepts were flawless, but there is something to consider regarding Comparative Advantage. China is ideally suited for low value products (think basic plastic and metal processing). It certainly has improved its capabilities to add some low tech functionality (think lower tech medical devices, basic electromechanical needs, etc.) over the years, but the quality continues to lag high precision manufacturing areas, such as the U.S., Japan, Korea, Germany, Switzerland, Sweden, etc.

To expand on @mrhighlife 's point, China is obsessed with chasing dollars, in aggregate, at the top line at margin level. But, if you look at the value provided, it's nowhere close to those other aforementioned countries. Sometimes, the financials tell the best story.
I agree we should continue to lead the world in innovation, as we currently do and have for many decades. My concerns are really focused on battery tech. China is working to corner the market in the production of low cost batteries. Sure, we can create better batteries and focus our efforts on tip of the spear technologies but they still have an advantage in terms of production cost. And that cost is directly passed to consumers b/c captitalism. That's not neligible.

We should consider a focus on automated production and the support of those industrial applications. High tech and high knowledge level support/maintenance. Undercut the advantage China his vis a vis labor costs. Get humans out of assembly and the more rudimentary fucntions of production.

Inasmuch as we ever have a national focus on anything economic at an industrial level (I would say we don't except in times of war), this should be that thing.

Reactions: mcmurtry66
I agree we should continue to lead the world in innovation, as we currently do and have for many decades. My concerns are really focused on battery tech. China is working to corner the market in the production of low cost batteries. Sure, we can create better batteries and focus our efforts on tip of the spear technologies but they still have an advantage in terms of production cost. And that cost is directly passed to consumers b/c captitalism. That's not neligible.

We should consider a focus on automated production and the support of those industrial applications. High tech and high knowledge level support/maintenance. Undercut the advantage China his vis a vis labor costs. Get humans out of assembly and the more rudimentary fucntions of production.

Inasmuch as we ever have a national focus on anything economic at an industrial level (I would say we don't except in times of war), this should be that thing.
Agree. There won’t be enough quality workers to restore manufacturing. So automated with skilled labor is the way to go. Help build infrastructure in the Americas too.

Great. Both parties are protectionist now. This worked out well in the past.
You need some. Aluminum industry is as important as any. The Chinese and Russians just make and make metals regardless if it’s profitable. 2 things have saved it. Subsidies and smog. China would make even more if it wasn’t for smog. Covid curtailed it too. National security is a big factor in saving domestic metals production.

Do all those things amount to a national security threat? Chinese EVs and solar panels, for example?
That’s a supply chain issue too. The US(even under Trump) is trying to get the supply chains in order. It’s going to be painful but must happen. Covid has shown us why. China and the rest of the world is going to have a worker availability problem in this coming decade.

That’s a supply chain issue too. The US(even under Trump) is trying to get the supply chains in order. It’s going to be painful but must happen. Covid has shown us why. China and the rest of the world is going to have a worker availability problem in this coming decade.
So the government is in a better position to do that than the market? And we’re ok with higher prices for the consumer as a result?

So the government is in a better position to do that than the market? And we’re ok with higher prices for the consumer as a result?
You have to remember the market isn’t fair. Not when it comes to trade. When China makes something they don’t add in certain costs to deflate raw materials enough to manipulate the market. So they make more than the market use to hurt “domestic m” production. They would corner energy too but they don’t have the gas/oil to do it. For instance when a smelter is curtailed or shut down it’s most likely never coming back. Last aluminum smelter built in the us was 1989

Reactions: Spartans9312
You have to remember the market isn’t fair. Not when it comes to trade. When China makes something they don’t add in certain costs to deflate raw materials enough to manipulate the market. So they make more than the market use to hurt “domestic m” production. They would corner energy too but they don’t have the gas/oil to do it. For instance when a smelter is curtailed or shut down it’s most likely never coming back. Last aluminum smelter built in the us was 1989
What does fairness have to do with it?

You think the government is in a better position to make this call, better than private, profit seeking firms. Nothing wrong with admitting that.

They always talk about our shrinking manufacturing base and trade but never mention the rules. Manufacturing here vs abroad is tantamount to two teams in the same league where one imposes a salary cap of $500k and the other team can spend with no cap. Min wage. Payroll taxes. Every other tax. OSHA. Workers comp. Other countries aren’t dealing with what we do

They always talk about our shrinking manufacturing base and trade but never mention the rules. Manufacturing here vs abroad is tantamount to two teams in the same league where one imposes a salary cap of $500k and the other team can spend with no cap. Min wage. Payroll taxes. Every other tax. OSHA. Workers comp. Other countries aren’t dealing with what we do

“Middle-class and lower-earning workers have seen gains in pay over the past 50 years. Those gains have been sizable for women but modest for men. However, the stagnation for men is more reflective of a transition out of an industrial patriarchal past that all rich countries have made than of a breakdown of capitalism. All but the highest-paid men have seen long-term growth in pay that falls short of the compensation growth experienced by the lowest-paid women. This pattern does not suggest that the problem is anything like weak demand for less-skilled workers.”

They acknowledge that “middle-class and lower-earning” men have experienced 50 years of “stagnation” in pay.

What does fairness have to do with it?

You think the government is in a better position to make this call, better than private, profit seeking firms. Nothing wrong with admitting that.
In this case no. Sometimes when those firms don’t have the best interest in national security you need to intervene. China purposely deflates things to hurt another country.

In this case no. Sometimes when those firms don’t have the best interest in national security you need to intervene. China purposely deflates things to hurt another country.

How are electric vehicles and solar panels vital to national security?

That guy says Biden is doing it because those are industries Biden wants “to develop.” No mention or argument that those industries are vital to national security.

That guy says Biden is doing it because those are industries Biden wants “to develop.” No mention or argument that those industries are vital to national security.
Can't have e-tanks or e-APCs without subsidizing that industry and taxing continued ICE use.
/s

• Haha
Reactions: Victorbmyboy

No but that’s a separate issue. Even Trump tariffed metals because of national security. Only 1 mil spec aluminum plant left. There is a push to build a new state of the art aluminum smelter in eastern Kentucky. Do you want to buy stuff from people that want America to struggle and fail? Both parties are now on board with this. So dumping as much product in America and the world is good? He’s explaining why this isn’t good and it applies to raw material and metals. We are seeing de-globalization. Thats a good thing imho.

Last edited:
Reactions: Spartans9312
Interesting article that suggests maybe we shouldn't be as scared of China as we are:

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT