ADVERTISEMENT

Friday Recruiting Notebook

allasley

All-American
Staff
Jun 21, 2019
It has been a busy week for Indiana basketball. Summer workouts began yesterday (June 10) and it also brought three visitors to campus.

The first of which was 2023 point guard Jeremy Fears. The La Lumiere guard had been in contact with Indiana for quite a while - mainly through Brian Walsh - and it intensified when Mike Woodson and co took over.

Fears left his unofficial visit with a scholarship offer.

I spoke to Fears last night briefly and he told me the visit was 'great'. His interest for Indiana remains high and this was a critical step for IU and its recruitment of Fears.

Of the visit, Fears said: "(We) Met the coaching staff, got a chance to see most of the facilities and watch the guys practice a little. Coaches were great."

Fears holds offers from programs like Gonzaga, Illinois, Maryland, Iowa, Iowa State, Creighton, Purdue and more.

**We will have more on Fears later today or early tomorrow.

As for another visitor, the official visit of Kaleb Banks began on Thursday night, he told TheHoosier. Ahead of his visit he told me that he was 'very excited' and ready to 'meeting the coaching staff and learning more about the future of the program'.

Banks was one of the first offers of the new staff, mainly from a prior relationship with assistant coach Yasir Rosemond. Both are from Atlanta and Rosemond used to train Banks.

Banks On Coach Rosemond: "We have a good relationship. He’s a guy that I know I can trust and someone that will keep it real with me."

The main programs involved are Alabama, Georgia, Indiana and Clemson. He also took a visit to Georgia Tech this week.

More on Banks: https://indiana.rivals.com/news/2022-wing-kaleb-banks-talks-indiana-offer

**we will have more following the conclusion of his visit

As for the final visitor, 2023 C Cyr Malonga visited Indiana this week as well. He has offers from Georgia, Illinois and Western Illinois as of now.

Kentucky, Michigan and Memphis are some other programs working to schedule visits this summer.

Here is the list of visitors this month:

June 10 - Class of 2023 point guard Jeremy Fears

June 10 - Class of 2022 power forward Kaleb Banks

June 15-16 - Class of 2022 power forward Kyle Filipowski

June 15-16 - Class of 2022 wing Justin Taylor

June 23 - Class of 2023 center Xavier Booker

June 28 - Class of 2022 combo guard Jalen Hood-Schifino

End of June - Class of 2023 wing Jalen Hooks

Mid-Late June - Class of 2022 wing and IU commit CJ Gunn (Tentative)

---

The Pangos All-American Camp was this week and there were a few IU targets in action.

Some notable performances included 2022 four-star C Vincent Iwuchukwu, 2023 F Xavier Booker and 2023 wing Jalen Hooks.

Indiana and Iwuchukwu are looking to set up a visit this summer, but as of now, there isn't a firm date confirmed.

Booker, who will be visiting June 23, was a notable underclassmen standout. He played alongside No. 1 player in the 2022 class Jalen Duran and showcased his potential. Booker showed his versatility throughout the event and came away as someone who will see his recruitment take off this summer.

Rivals Rob Cassidy on Booker: "The first thing you see when you watch Booker is the athleticism. He's all potential right now but the jump shot is really starting to come and he made some tough and contested jumpers last night that was impressive. He gets up and down the floor incredibly well for 6-foot-9 kid. His blend of athleticism and length is going to serve him well as he adds muscle. I think that's the big thing right now is to get stronger. But he's got time to do that. He'll debut in the rankings for sure, relatively high. I see him as a fringe top-50 kid for sure. It's a small sample size, just one game, but I like what I saw."

More On Booker: https://indiana.rivals.com/news/the-cassidy-awards-pangos-all-american-camp

---

Also taking place this week was the Indiana All-Stars scrimmage, with the Indiana All-Stars taking on the Junior All-Stars. Indiana commit and three-star wing CJ Gunn took part in the event. IU target and four-star forward Jalen Washington sat out, but was part of the Junior All-Stars roster.

TheHoosier.com caught up with Gunn and Washington after the game.

Gunn on Woodson: "He's committed to me and committed to the program and with that NBA experience, he's really going to help me... I'm ready to get down there (Indiana) right now."

"I love all of the coaches... they show me love everyday. I can't wait to get down there and meet everyone and get down there for open runs to meet everyone."

Gunn said he will be in the gym 2-3 times a day working on his shot and consistency.

Jalen Washington is someone who is working on setting up a visit with Indiana, but no date is confirmed yet, his coach tells me.

On Indiana: "It's been good. Coach Fife recruited me at MSU and he's recruiting me hard now... They are letting me know that they have the best situation."

More on Indiana: "The basketball history and a coach that came from the highest level and coming to the college level really interests me the most."

Washignton on Gunn: "He's a great player and great teammate. He's going to do great at Indiana."

**We will have more on Washington later this weekend.

The main programs involved with Jalen Washington are Purdue, Stanford, North Carolina, Indiana and a few others.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News