ADVERTISEMENT

Friday Recruiting Notebook - Jan 28

allasley

All-American
Staff
Jun 21, 2019
Indiana bounced back in a big way against Penn State following its first home loss of the season last weekend.

The Hoosiers now sit at 15-5 (6-4) and still have a few opportunities in front of them. This weekend at Maryland gives IU another chance for a road victory but they will have to be able to defend the Eric Ayala / Fatts Russell backcourt. This two combine for about 30 points per game and drive the entire Maryland offense.

Obviously everyone wants to know about Rob Phinisee and the injury he suffered against Penn State.

Mike Woodson addressed the injury on Friday morning:

"He's not going to play tomorrow and could possibly be day-to-day. He had plantar fasciitis and he's not playing tomorrow. It's next man up."

“Khristian might be available some tomorrow in limited minutes. We’ll know more tomorrow when we get up in the morning."

Tamar Bates and Trey Galloway listed as two players who could play spot minutes for Xavier Johnson if Lander can't go.

Mike Woodson Q&A:

--

Recruiting wise, 2023 Finnish guard Miro Little is back home after his three-visit trip to Baylor, Villanova and Indiana. All three visits went well.

Little announced on Thursday that those would be the final three -- this was not much of a surprise.

Indiana had the last visit and he was in town for the IU win over Purdue.

"I think it is not a surprise to anyone that Indiana fans are one of a kind. Purdue game was an unbelievable experience," Little said. "It was crazy. Easy to say have (I've) never been part of anything like that.

"The atmosphere throughout the game was crazy. And what an ending. Definitely something I will remember forever."

"All of the visits were amazing. Three amazing coaches and great environments," Little said. "It’s gonna be a hard decision. I have a good feeling about all the programs and how I fit in and how they can help me improve and grow as a player and a person. I will make my decision after my season in Finland is done."

As of now, this still seems to be Indiana and Baylor at the top. The atmosphere for his IU visit really stood out to him and his family. That may not be the deciding factor, but that will go a long way in helping him determine where he wants to play college basketball. Baylor has made some really strong connections to Little from the coaching staff.

Indiana and Baylor both like to run with multiple guards and ball handlers on the floor and he saw that during IU's game especially with Xavier Johnson and Rob Phinisee combining for 38 points against Purdue.

It also didn't hurt to be sitting next to 2023 IU commit Gabe Cupps during the game. Cupps loves history and tradition as it relates to the game of basketball so an atmosphere like that + a win + a commit next to him did a number on Little.

As we reported last week, Little is still not expected to make his decision until his season is over. That will be sometime in Mid-late match depending on playoffs. He will then take a little more time to fully decide. A decision in April should be expected at this point.

More on Little's 'amazing' visit to Indiana:

---

TheHoosier.com is down in Florida for the Montverde Invitational and last night was the start of the event that has nearly 20 high-major commits playing -- and that doesn't include the uncommitted players either.

The late game was Montverde Academy against Kimball (Tx). Montverde pulled away in the second half and won, 91-70. Jalen Hood-Schifino had 26 points and 5 assists.

JHS was in total control the entire game. Mid-range was working, his shot was falling from the outside (hit three 3's), attacking in the paint. He played a lot more off of the ball tonight and his movement without the ball stood out.

Jim caught up with JHS after the game and here are a few tidbits:

"I felt like I came out aggressive, got downhill, found my teammates, rebounded well and defended well," Hood-Schifino told Jim.

"I'm a point guard at heart but with my ability to get downhill sometimes coach Boyle wants to get me off of the ball to score. So tonight he wanted me more off of the ball and we had Skyy (Skyy Clark - 2022 UK signee) on the ball and it worked really well."

Five-star wing KJ Evans had 6 points and Derik Queen had 2 points. Evans was extremely active defensively and took on the responsibility of defending five-star 2022 point guard and Texas commit Arterio Morris. Morris had 9 points at the half but finished with just 14 for the game. He struggled to get any shot off after halftime and when he did, always had a hand in his face. With Evans' length and athleticism, he can guard 1-4 on the floor.

Evans was a bit under the weather so we didn't get a chance to talk with him after the game. Will do so later this weekend.

As of now, he is still expected to visit Indiana after his season ends.

Here was a recent update on Evans from Rivals national writer Rob Cassidy:

As for Queen, he is just in the 2024 class and playing on Montverde, he doesn't get a ton of minutes, but he is always in the rotation. He is a big body and his size stands out for his age. But, what he showed on Thursday was some ability to handle the ball on the perimeter. He helped break a press later in the game with some between the legs and behind the back dribbles. Just a reference for his athletic ability that sometimes doesn't show when he's banging on the block.

Jim will be back to see more of Montverde later today as Montverde takes on American Fork (UT) at 7:15 pm.

American Fork has a talented front court and some really good size.

More notes from last night:

---

Small notes...

There was some thought that 2023 forward Austin Parks would make a decision sooner rather than later, but it seems as though things slowed down related to that. He visited Indiana a few weeks ago. IU and Ohio State still are battling it out with West Virginia a distant third.

IU forward Trayce Jackson-Davis was one of 15 players named to the midseason Defensive Player of the Year watchlist.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News