ADVERTISEMENT

For the other O.G's.............

Bippy

Junior
Jan 20, 2002
Please correct me if there is another game more emblematic of what IU used to be as a program and what it's been like for the last 25+ years. I distinctly remember feeling good despite being down 8-0 at the opening of this game as it was nothing more than a few shots not dropping. And then the team kicked in as expected. The key word being"team"
Anymore, I'm worried when we up only 20.
Your thoughts

Please correct me if there is another game more emblematic of what IU used to be as a program and what it's been like for the last 25+ years. I distinctly remember feeling good despite being down 8-0 at the opening of this game as it was nothing more than a few shots not dropping. And then the team kicked in as expected. The key word being"team"
Your thoughts

This was before the 3 point shot and shot clock and I bet you can find numerous examples of good programs losing big leads once those two elements came. Iowa beat MSU recently by scoring 23 points in 90 seconds!! That wouldn’t be possible in 1981.

I liked the game where we got behind by 23(?) pts against Michigan and Rumeal Robinson and came back and won….or the games where we beat the fab 5

This was before the 3 point shot and shot clock and I bet you can find numerous examples of good programs losing big leads once those two elements came. Iowa beat MSU recently by scoring 23 points in 90 seconds!! That wouldn’t be possible in 1981.
I remember Justin Johnson? Of Iowa nearly hitting every 27-30 foot three in the final 45 seconds against IU in Iowa City during the Eric Gordon year nearly making the total comeback. Three point shot definately gives teams a chance in final few minutes.

Your thoughts

42 years is a long time.

I remember Justin Johnson? Of Iowa nearly hitting every 27-30 foot three in the final 45 seconds against IU in Iowa City during the Eric Gordon year nearly making the total comeback. Three point shot definately gives teams a chance in final few minutes.
Shot clock, too. I remember my freshman year at IU going to an Iowa game that was quite close throughout. With about 5 minutes left Knight decided to run the clock down, since IU had just a narrow 4 point lead. IU held the ball for about a 3 minute possession and ended up winning the game.

Your thoughts

Track meet.

At 8-0, my dad was bitching about how badly IU was going to get beat. RMK called time out, and it was OVER. Best game IU ever played. Maryland was sending their guards to rebound . . . Tolbert, Kitchel and Turner blocked all the Maryland guys out and the others (the ones not getting the board) ran the floor along with the rest of the team . . . .

BTW, years later I started going to a church pastored by Lefty's daughter. She found out I went to IU back then and never looked at me again . . . .

Shot clock, too. I remember my freshman year at IU going to an Iowa game that was quite close throughout. With about 5 minutes left Knight decided to run the clock down, since IU had just a narrow 4 point lead. IU held the ball for about a 3 minute possession and ended up winning the game.
If you're talking 1984, it was more like 10 minutes.

Track meet.

At 8-0, my dad was bitching about how badly IU was going to get beat. RMK called time out, and it was OVER. Best game IU ever played. Maryland was sending their guards to rebound . . . Tolbert, Kitchel and Turner blocked all the Maryland guys out and the others (the ones not getting the board) ran the floor along with the rest of the team . . . .

BTW, years later I started going to a church pastored by Lefty's daughter. She found out I went to IU back then and never looked at me again . . . .
That is one of the best posts I've ever read here. Thank you.
The confidence in our offense was incredible. After that game ended, it was obvious we had sewn up the entire tournament.

• Wow
Reactions: Sope Creek
All good points, but it was a fine tuned team on both ends of the court and one never worried about mental lapses for long stretches of a game. Hell, one didn't worry about the mental lapses for much more than nano-seconds.

remember the Iowa game as well....seemed like they ran the 4 corners for damn near half an hour. Was that when Iowa had the twin towers? (Stokes and Payne, both 7 footers). I remember them standing around in the lane, looking at the bench, wondering "WTF are we supposed to do?" as the clock kept winding down.... And the Assy Hall crowd cheering just got louder by the minute.

It's beyond frustrating how many 15-20 pt first half leads IU has converted into 2nd half collapses/losses over the past 5-10 yrs.

Reactions: 4IUSox2
If you're talking 1984, it was more like 10 minutes.
Yes, I am. I thought it might’ve been much longer, but I wasn’t sure if my memory was exaggerating! Btw, it was rather exciting watching them play keep away for that long.

That is one of the best posts I've ever read here. Thank you.
The confidence in our offense was incredible. After that game ended, it was obvious we had sewn up the entire tournament.
I used to play pick up with a guy who was on that MD team as a reserve. He said Lefty said IU couldn't shoot and the only video he showed them (he later assumed) was from 1 game where we must've had an off-night shooting. He said he started getting a bad feeling watching IU warmup, with how well we were shooting.

Reactions: 4IUSox2
Your thoughts

Great to see Steve Bouchie at the end of the game. Steve is from my hometown of Washington. I started watching IU because of him. Notice how many points IU scored 99 pts without a 3 pt shot and a shot clock. I miss those days when guys weren't forced to chuck it because of the clock. This was a great blowout because Albert King and Buck Williams became very good pros.

Reactions: Crayfish57
Isiah was head and shoulders the best talent to ever play at IU. I throw out the whole Larry Bird thing he never played. Loved Cheaney and Alford and others but Isiah was on a different level.

Yes. West, Big O are on his level. About it.

Michael Jordan and Magic Johnson would like a word.

Isiah was an all-pro talent, no doubt . . . but he wasn't West or Oscar good.
Did they play at IU ? Magic I will give you not sure in different ways Oscar and West are any better overall

Reactions: ulrey
I used to play pick up with a guy who was on that MD team as a reserve. He said Lefty said IU couldn't shoot and the only video he showed them (he later assumed) was from 1 game where we must've had an off-night shooting. He said he started getting a bad feeling watching IU warmup, with how well we were shooting.
Do you remember how dead eye Wittman and Kitchel were? I think that's the most under-appreciated duo on any IU team. Thomas, Tolbert, and Turner (late in the season and perhaps the key to winning it all) were very good, but those 2 shooters were studs.

Do you remember how dead eye Wittman and Kitchel were? I think that's the most under-appreciated duo on any IU team. Thomas, Tolbert, and Turner (late in the season and perhaps the key to winning it all) were very good, but those 2 shooters were studs.
The last 10 games in 81, that was the best team I have ever watched. Period. Not just IU teams, but any college basketball team.

82/83 when Big Ten had a pro distance 3 point line they were lights out. Didn't Bobby say how much he hated it but also knew he had the 2 best shooters in the conference?

Reactions: 4IUSox2 and kkott
82/83 season Big Ten had 3 pt line at 22'9'' I believe was distance. Ted Kitchel and Randy Wittman and they were deadly. Different than they way Alford got his . It was conference only ACC was 17'7 inside the top of the key circle.
I don't think it was ever that far; isn't that NBA? 21' or 20'9" is what I was thinking.

I don't think it was ever that far; isn't that NBA? 21' or 20'9" is what I was thinking.
I looked said, 19-9 for 82 but I thought it was deeper than that . Kitchel and Wittman could really hit them though. A big what if if Kitch didnt hurt his back even with no 3 pt in the tournament. That is the Yr RMK put the Big Ten banner up in honor of the fans for support after Kitch went down .

Your thoughts

Just seeing Landon play on this video brings back memories of just how well he played...

I looked said, 19-9 for 82 but I thought it was deeper than that . Kitchel and Wittman could really hit them though. A big what if if Kitch didnt hurt his back even with no 3 pt in the tournament. That is the Yr RMK put the Big Ten banner up in honor of the fans for support after Kitch went down .
Top of the key what ever that distance is.

82/83 season Big Ten had 3 pt line at 22'9'' I believe was distance. Ted Kitchel and Randy Wittman and they were deadly. Different than they way Alford got his . It was conference only ACC was 17'7 inside the top of the key circle.
During the experimental days in 82/83, the ACC 3-point line was two feet INSIDE the top of the key. This is ridiculous

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT