ADVERTISEMENT

Election Season is when Democrats act like Republicans . . .

CO. Hoosier

Hall of Famer
Aug 29, 2001
The White House announced that the US and Germany will push Zelenskyy to negotiate with Putin. Trump advocated for this since the war started. I guess “as long as it takes” is taking too long.

The Defense department offered discharge upgrades for those in the military who were given the heave ho for not accepting the jab. The military is even begging discharged service people to return to service. Don’t worry, every crazy political thing the military does enhances readiness.

The MLB All Star game returns to Atlanta. I guess Jim Crow is no longer on steroids. Where is Stacy Abrams? Is her picture on a milk carton?.

The White House is finally negotiating with Panama to intercept migrants and review asylum claims in that country. A program similar to Trump’s and which Biden tossed into the dumpster. The phony “asylum seekers” Biden, Mayorkas, and Harris allowed in by the millions actually are phony asylum seekers.

The Biden administration actually mentioned Nuclear in connection with clean power. Before 2024 is half over, that will be the centerpiece of the GND as wind and solar are proving to suck up way too many resources. Nuclear is way overdue.

Biden now actually mentions Iran in connection with the uncivilized Jew hating mobs it supports throughout the ME.

If things keep going as they are, Biden and Trump won’t debate because they will agree on everything.

Last edited:
The White House announced that the US and Germany will push Zelenskyy to negotiate with Putin. Trump advocated for this since the war started. I guess “as long as it takes” is taking too long.

The Defense department offered discharge upgrades for those in the military who were given the heave ho for not accepting the jab. The military is even begging discharged service people to return to service. Don’t worry, every crazy political thing the military does enhances readiness.

The MLB All Star game returns to Atlanta. I guess Jim Crow is no longer on steroids. Where is Stacy Abrams? Is her picture on a milk carton?.

The White House is finally negotiating with Panama to intercept migrants and review asylum claims in that country. A program similar to Trump’s and which Biden tossed into the dumpster. The phony “asylum seekers” Biden, Mayorkas, and Harris allowed in by the millions actually are phony asylum seekers.

The Biden administration actually mentioned Nuclear in connection with clean power. Before 2024 is half over, that will be the centerpiece of the GND as wind and solar are proving to suck up way too many resources. Nuclear is way overdue.

Biden now actually mentions Iran in connection with the uncivilized Jew hating mobs it supports throughout the ME.

If things keep going as they are, Biden and Trump won’t debate because they will agree on everything.

Let us hope these few examples of reaching consensus spreads to Congress.

And gas prices fall

This is how I've felt since the beginning. Ukraine is a shithole, Putin is a bastard.

Screw both of them. Stay out and let what happens happen.

Reactions: Ty Webb iu
Term limits is the answer.

Stoll, the answer in my book would be more Senate and House seats which either party could win and voters who respect candidates willing to work across the aisle.

Instead we have fewer and fewer seats where either party can win, and voters prefer candidates who talk the party line and smear the other party every chance they can.

Reactions: larsIU
Stoll, the answer in my book would be more Senate and House seats which either party could win and voters who respect candidates willing to work across the aisle.

Instead we have fewer and fewer seats where either party can win, and voters prefer candidates who talk the party line and smear the other party every chance they can.
I agree on house seats but disagree on senate seats.

The purpose of the senate is to represent the state at the federal level.

I don’t disagree with that but term limits would be much easier to get done?

Reactions: Joe_Hoopsier
Term limits require a constitutional amendment. Drawing competitive House districts does not. Just requires political will.
Non competitive districts make the primary elections more important as the ultimate winner is decided in the primary election.

Furthermore only 27% of the eligible voters in America decide the primary winner.

This 27% minority is probably made up of party zealots and don't include independents who would prefer candidates willing to work with the other party. So when 60.5% of the eligible voters show up for the general election, they must choose between candidates selected by a minority in each party.

Finally, in my opinion the process ultimately favors the most strident and extreme candidates from each party. This then results in both parties growing further and further from the center. Consequently, compromise and bipartisan solutions are becoming a thing of the past.

Last edited:
Reactions: larsIU
Term limits require a constitutional amendment. Drawing competitive House districts does not. Just requires political will.
I misunderstood what Hoot meant. I thought he meant adding seats. I guess no difference. I stand corrected.

I misunderstood what Hoot meant. I thought he meant adding seats. I guess no difference. I stand corrected.
Yeah, I ignored that part because the answer required too much typing. But it is this: adding Senate seats requires a constitutional amendment (with the exception of adding them by admitting new states), but adding House seats only requires the passing of regular legislation.

Reactions: stollcpa
Yeah, I ignored that part because the answer required too much typing. But it is this: adding Senate seats requires a constitutional amendment (with the exception of adding them by admitting new states), but adding House seats only requires the passing of regular legislation.
We need more house seats, but it will never happen.

Pretty much. Is Hanson here wrong about anything? Terrific listen.

Reactions: Joe_Hoopsier
Non competitive districts make the primary elections more important as the ultimate winner is decided in the primary election.

Furthermore only 27% of the eligible voters in America decide the primary winner.

This 27% minority is probably made up of party zealots and don't include independents who would prefer candidates willing to work with the other party. So when 60.5% of the eligible voters show up for the general election, they must choose between candidates selected by a minority in each party.

Finally, in my opinion the process ultimately favors the most strident and extreme candidates from each party. This then results in both parties growing further and further from the center. Consequently, compromise and bipartisan solutions are becoming a thing of the past.
I don’t think competitive districts is the primary objective. Common interests among constituencies is more important in my view.

When the constitution and bill of rights was constructed the average age of life in 1776 was 35. No way the founders could have expected we would a public dumb enough to elect geriatrics.

It needs to end. Immediately

Pure democracy is a terrible idea. What our founder's came up with is the best system ever created in human history
I don't know how that relates to more members? The House was always the democratic part of government, elected by direct vote of the people.

In the 1st House, Maryland had 6 representatives. They have 8 today. Those 8 represent many many more people in a much more complex federal state. Just dealing as ombudsman with VA, IRS, SBA, etc, is no longer close to possible. These House members are far more insulated from the people than that founding era. The people's house ain't as the average congressman spends 6-8 hours per day fundraising.

The House was the People's House, the Senate was basically the House of Lords where the well-connected wealthy resided. We did change how they got elected, but who occupies it is still the more well-heeled.

And of course our House members have stopped going out and talking to their constituents.

We usually applaud competition in just about every other facet. Why is it wrong to assume competition has no particular merit in this case?
Because one constituency or another is guaranteed to not have a representative. In an extreme example, if a district of 1/2 rural and agribusines, and presumably Republican is paired with an urban population for the sake of competition, one will be on the outside looking in. Our system isn’t perfect, but I see nothing wrong with a district comprised mostly of ag interests.

435 was set in 1929, we have gained a few states and a crap ton of people. 1 House member cannot come close to representing their people.
Sure they can. Congressional staffs have grown. The staff are the ones who deal with constituents, read the bills, compose the committee questions and do the hard work.

Sure they can. Congressional staffs have grown. The staff are the ones who deal with constituents, read the bills, compose the committee questions and do the hard work.
Frankly, staffers do most if the work in congress. Some of them are more powerful than most of the Representatives and Senators.

Because one constituency or another is guaranteed to not have a representative. In an extreme example, if a district of 1/2 rural and agribusines, and presumably Republican is paired with an urban population for the sake of competition, one will be on the outside looking in. Our system isn’t perfect, but I see nothing wrong with a district comprised mostly of ag interests.

The problem is the lack of competition leads to the "I never need to compromise, ever" viewpoint prevalent among partisan hacks unable to think beyond "ugh, my side right, there's wrong".

The problem is the lack of competition leads to the "I never need to compromise, ever" viewpoint prevalent among partisan hacks unable to think beyond "ugh, my side right, there's wrong".
That’s true. The problem isn’t the system, it’s the candidates— and the voters.. In fact, I think competition makes things worse as the candidates are even more beholden to donors and their “base”. Years ago, we had more very good, accomplished, and solid people in congress. Here is one whom I knew personally. He was elected from a “noncompetitive “ district.

But they don't do the hard work, 6-8 hours PER DAY are fundraising. How many hours per day do you think they work?

The hard work isn't getting done. Name the last bill to address social security? Heck polls show Republicans and Democrats want Dreamers dealt with, it remains an issue. No hard work is getting done. If they aren't going to tackle the hard work, bog them down working as ombudsman. I would rather pay them for that than pay them to fundraise.

34,000 per person was the average congressional size in the 1st congress. Maryland had 6, so it had about 200,000 population. If the founders wanted a large size, they could have given Maryland 2 representatives, or 1. If we give the founders so much wisdom then it is fair to assume they wanted a manageable size district. 760,000 is not manageable. And that number is only going to keep growing.

Reactions: Cortez88 and larsIU
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT