ADVERTISEMENT

Dusty May and FAU getting it done again!

kkott

Hall of Famer
Oct 26, 2001
after a weird loss to Bryant, they beat Texas A&M, Butler and crushed VA Tech. Guy would have to be at the top of the list when CMW is ready to hang it up. I'm sure he got a good extension after last season, but if he keeps them ranked and has a good tourney he's going to be a target for everyone. If I was the AD, I'd be having discussions with CMW and Dusty and seeing if you can cobble together a transition plan of some sort, but it feels like the timing might not align for us... again!

after a weird loss to Bryant, they beat Texas A&M, Butler and crushed VA Tech. Guy would have to be at the top of the list when CMW is ready to hang it up. I'm sure he got a good extension after last season, but if he keeps them ranked and has a good tourney he's going to be a target for everyone. If I was the AD, I'd be having discussions with CMW and Dusty and seeing if you can cobble together a transition plan of some sort, but it feels like the timing might not align for us... again!
My hope is Woody has 2-3 more good years (better than he's had so far). And May is either still at FAU, or at a less desirable P5 school when Woody is ready to hang it up...or when we're ready to make that transition.

Its going to suck if a different "Indiana level" job opens up before Woody is done here...as I would think May would be a top candidate if FAU continues to look this good.

He could be the next Brad Stevens type coach. If we crash and burn this year, and FAU goes on any sort of run again...man...not gonna happen, and probably shouldn't...but man...

If we crash and burn this year, and FAU goes on any sort of run again...man...not gonna happen, and probably shouldn't...but man...
I think if he goes on another tourney run, he won't be at FAU next year. But, that's why Dolson should be having conversations with both, so DM knows that we're interested and CMW can think about and share what his timeline is. Heck, he may not even enjoy college coaching. I knew a guy that's done both and the general feeling for most coaches is the pro game is preferable due to no recruiting, better travel, no boosters, no admin, no NCAA...

I think if he goes on another tourney run, he won't be at FAU next year. But, that's why Dolson should be having conversations with both, so DM knows that we're interested and CMW can think about and share what his timeline is. Heck, he may not even enjoy college coaching. I knew a guy that's done both and the general feeling for most coaches is the pro game is preferable due to no recruiting, better travel, no boosters, no admin, no NCAA...
As long as none of these jobs open up for May...

Kentucky, Duke, UNC, Michigan State, Arizona, Kansas, Villanova...I'm sure there are a few others... you get my drift on these types of schools...but as long as he ends up jumping to a "lesser" P5, I bet we'd have a shot to get him a couple/few years from now if that's when Woody ends up being done.

That's a touchy conversation to have with Woody, but if there's any sort of IU interest from May, I'd hope that Dolson and Woody have a relationship strong enough to be able to have that discussion.

Reactions: Bucket Getter
That's a touchy conversation to have with Woody
maybe, maybe not. Woody seems very realistic and it's an ADs job to plan for the future and contingencies (what if Woody or his wife fell ill?). Most people understand if you share your duties/dilemna/reasoning, and as I said, he should be touching base regularly to make sure Woody's enjoying being coach at IU. I've heard May on other shows and he seems to have a good personality too, so a better fit than Archie's snarkiness.

Getting the lesser P5 job would probably be our best bet, but it's better for us if he remains at FAU. Again, why I'd be having that dialogue. If Woody says 2-3 years max, it may make DM think about staying at FAU.

If May keeps it up, my hope is wherever he may go he would feel about IU like ole Roy did about UNC. I really didn't think he'd leave KU, but he had heart connections to the Tar Heels.

CDM did sign a long term contract last spring. Did not pursue offers from others. I just hope he included an out clause for a specific school. Been done before.

If IU is in fact May's dream job, it will be available to him whenever. It's on pretty good record that the May family loves living and raising their boys in Florida. I would think Dusty May has the University of Florida higher on his list than Indiana where his son is a walk-on.

If IU is in fact May's dream job, it will be available to him whenever. It's on pretty good record that the May family loves living and raising their boys in Florida. I would think Dusty May has the University of Florida higher on his list than Indiana where his son is a walk-on.
just checked and didn't recall they'd moved on from Mike White. Their new coach (Todd Golden?) looks like he's 19.

Whenever? Are you saying they'd push CMW out the door to get DM? I think the stars/timing need to align, but glad to hear he did sign an extension and they're happy in FL.

It's a business not a charity and Woody is fairly ancient while Dusty is still young. For Duke, UK, UNC, KU, UL etc this would be an easy call if Dusty continues to do well. But this is IU...

It's a business not a charity and Woody is fairly ancient while Dusty is still young. For Duke, UK, UNC, KU, UL etc this would be an easy call if Dusty continues to do well. But this is IU...
Did UNC can Doherty to make room for Williams? Can't remember? Not sure Doherty has the same level of "Alumni Royalty" for UNC, as Woody does at IU...but that move by UNC would back up your point fairly directly.

Did UNC can Doherty to make room for Williams? Can't remember? Not sure Doherty has the same level of "Alumni Royalty" for UNC, as Woody does at IU...but that move by UNC would back up your point fairly directly.
From what I recall (and I'm in Charlotte and know lots of Heels so hear a lot of UNC scuttlebutt) the players were supposedly revolting about Doherty and had had meetings with family and AD basically saying: "him or us", so the 2 coincided nicely. I think Doherty was done either way, but when Roy was interested, that sealed the deal.

What did the Colts do with Peyton when he was 35, coming off multiple neck surgeries, and they thought they had the next Peyton in the draft? It was the right move at the time even if it didn't pan out. Could have a similar scenario here.

just checked and didn't recall they'd moved on from Mike White. Their new coach (Todd Golden?) looks like he's 19.

Whenever? Are you saying they'd push CMW out the door to get DM? I think the stars/timing need to align, but glad to hear he did sign an extension and they're happy in FL.
I'm saying if Dusty May leaves FAU this year to take a better job and 2-3 years down the road Woodson retires, May would leave wherever he's at if in fact IU is his dream job. I'm not so sure that it is the case however. But IU isn't going to fire Woodson this year because Dusty May might take a job elsewhere.

Last edited:
UNC knew they could get Roy Williams whenever they wanted.

UNC knew they could get Roy Williams whenever they wanted.
Not true. If they coulda, they woulda when they hired Gutthridge or Doherty. I know he was contacted at least 1 of those times and turned them down. As I recall, his relationship with the KU AD had worsened which made him reconsider, but he'd already turned down their overtures at least once, which I found surprising. But, he also had things rolling pretty well at KU too.

Not true. If they coulda, they woulda when they hired Gutthridge or Doherty. I know he was contacted at least 1 of those times and turned them down. As I recall, his relationship with the KU AD had worsened which made him reconsider, but he'd already turned down their overtures at least once, which I found surprising. But, he also had things rolling pretty well at KU too.
I don't remember it that way. He jumped at the UNC job less than 12 hours after being offered and nearly 24 hours after he told the media he was staying at Kansas.

I don't remember it that way. He jumped at the UNC job less than 12 hours after being offered and nearly 24 hours after he told the media he was staying at Kansas.
Oh, the second time he was more than ready. But he'd turned them down previously, when either Gutt or Doherty were hired. I think it was Doherty. I think Gutt was sort of hand-picked by Dean, but know they'd made inquiries to Roy during one (or both) of those transitions.

And, it wasn't "public" or reported, but I had a couple friends at the time who were tied into UNC athletics. They wanted him, but he said he was staying at Kansas (I mean think about it: Roy or Gutt/Doherty? They wanted him).

here you go: https://247sports.com/college/north...liams-turned-down-unc-dick-baddour-117682645/

From what I recall (and I'm in Charlotte and know lots of Heels so hear a lot of UNC scuttlebutt) the players were supposedly revolting about Doherty and had had meetings with family and AD basically saying: "him or us", so the 2 coincided nicely. I think Doherty was done either way, but when Roy was interested, that sealed the deal.
I’m sure you heard things when he retired as well. Oh, the irony (of how it started and ended for him).

I’m sure you heard things when he retired as well. Oh, the irony (of how it started and ended for him).
Roy? Mostly just that it sounded like he was getting tired of the BS with kids and the demands of recruiting. They've handled their transitions a lot better than has IU.

Roy? Mostly just that it sounded like he was getting tired of the BS with kids and the demands of recruiting. They've handled their transitions a lot better than has IU.
Hmmm, I worked with someone that had a daughter on a sports team. I can’t verify if true, but I heard there was a group of players that used some leverage, made threats, and Roy decided to walk away.

My hope is Woody has 2-3 more good years (better than he's had so far). And May is either still at FAU, or at a less desirable P5 school when Woody is ready to hang it up...or when we're ready to make that transition.

Its going to suck if a different "Indiana level" job opens up before Woody is done here...as I would think May would be a top candidate if FAU continues to look this good.

He could be the next Brad Stevens type coach. If we crash and burn this year, and FAU goes on any sort of run again...man...not gonna happen, and probably shouldn't...but man...
I know May is an up-and-comer, but I'd hope IU could do better than that. Still have PTSD from the last mid-major hire.

• Haha
Reactions: sglowrider
I'm saying if Dusty May leaves FAU this year to take a better job and 2-3 years down the road Woodson retires, May would leave wherever he's at if in fact IU is his dream job. I'm not so sure that it is the case however. But IU isn't going to fire Woodson this year because Dusty May might take a job elsewhere.
Depends on how highly they think of DM. Georgia fired Mark Richt to hire Kirby Smart when they learned he was close to becoming head coach at South Carolina… So it happens.

I know May is an up-and-comer, but I'd hope IU could do better than that. Still have PTSD from the last mid-major hire.
Don't understand this line of thinking (I get that every hire is a big hire, but...). So, for instance, you'd say not to gamble on a 30 year old, who'd only coached at Army previously? Look at the guys you consider great coaches: Bob, Dean, K, Wooden, etc... they almost all came to their "career" position from a mid-major or much lesser program. I think a big name moving to another big school actually works out less often. Plus, with our current history, hiring a mid-major guy, in my opinion, is our highest likelihood of getting a "program" Coach. A highly successful Coach established somewhere, isn't going to risk coming to IU.

Reactions: RowdyHoosier
Hmmm, I worked with someone that had a daughter on a sports team. I can’t verify if true, but I heard there was a group of players that used some leverage, made threats, and Roy decided to walk away.
I'd heard there was a lot of dissatisfaction of players and Roy. But, my only real current Heel insider isn't an insider, but my gf. And, she is a huge fan of Roy, but basically she summed it up as he's tired of dealing with the current players and their egos. The guys I knew back at the end of Dean's tenure were a lot more tied into the program and goings on.

My PTSD moment was from Crean and our inability to inbound the ball.

big-head-throbbing-veins.gif

I am sure if I ever get dementia it will be from those multiple moments and then things/vessels bursting inside my head.

This is so sad, CMW is not even done yet. You guys are trying to get rid of him. 5-1 record never satisfied.

Reactions: sglowrider
Don't understand this line of thinking (I get that every hire is a big hire, but...). So, for instance, you'd say not to gamble on a 30 year old, who'd only coached at Army previously? Look at the guys you consider great coaches: Bob, Dean, K, Wooden, etc... they almost all came to their "career" position from a mid-major or much lesser program. I think a big name moving to another big school actually works out less often. Plus, with our current history, hiring a mid-major guy, in my opinion, is our highest likelihood of getting a "program" Coach. A highly successful Coach established somewhere, isn't going to risk coming to IU.
You mention the mid-major coaches who hit it big. How about the dozens upon dozens who've failed?

Would I rather have May than Woody? Absolutely ... in a heartbeat. But I'd rather have Jay Wright. 😉

• Haha
Reactions: kkott
You mention the mid-major coaches who hit it big. How about the dozens upon dozens who've failed?

Would I rather have May than Woody? Absolutely ... in a heartbeat. But I'd rather have Jay Wright. 😉
Wait, so are you eliminating Brad and Billy?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT