ADVERTISEMENT

Bagehot was wrong - the Brits are crazy

TheOriginalHappyGoat

Oct 4, 2010
Margaritaville
Walter Bagehot (pronounced "Badget") famously argued that the British constitution of government was superior to the American one because it was more responsive to real-time events. In Britain, if a government proved ineffectual in responding to some crisis, it could be kicked out and replaced in short order. If an American government proved the same, we had to wait until the next regularly scheduled election. Bagehot saw this as a great weakness of the American system.

Oh, if he only knew. After seeing what feels like dozens of different Tory leaders in the past decade, Britain is on the brink again. Liz Truss hasn't even found a place to hang her coat in No. 10, and her own party is already calling for her head. Her unpopular "mini-budget" forced her to sack her Chancellor (finance minister), and rumor is the replacement is the real power in government now. He may have flexed his muscles by forcing out the Home Secretary (no simple equivalent, but combines some duties of Interior, State, and the AG - most important part of the portfolio is immigration). For weeks now, Conservative malcontents have been angling to find a way to remove Truss from power, even though they literally just elected her.

For its part, Labour is saying, if the Tories can't find a leader they can live with, let's just have an election and start over, which makes sense for them, as they are currently looking at a potential landslide victory in a nationwide election.

For all its faults, maybe there's something to be said for the stability provided by our calendrical election cycle.

America really is one giant "I told you so" on the rest of the Western world.

Except for healthcare delivery, the War on Drugs, primary school education, soccer

• Haha
Reactions: sglowrider
Walter Bagehot (pronounced "Badget") famously argued that the British constitution of government was superior to the American one because it was more responsive to real-time events. In Britain, if a government proved ineffectual in responding to some crisis, it could be kicked out and replaced in short order. If an American government proved the same, we had to wait until the next regularly scheduled election. Bagehot saw this as a great weakness of the American system.

Oh, if he only knew. After seeing what feels like dozens of different Tory leaders in the past decade, Britain is on the brink again. Liz Truss hasn't even found a place to hang her coat in No. 10, and her own party is already calling for her head. Her unpopular "mini-budget" forced her to sack her Chancellor (finance minister), and rumor is the replacement is the real power in government now. He may have flexed his muscles by forcing out the Home Secretary (no simple equivalent, but combines some duties of Interior, State, and the AG - most important part of the portfolio is immigration). For weeks now, Conservative malcontents have been angling to find a way to remove Truss from power, even though they literally just elected her.

For its part, Labour is saying, if the Tories can't find a leader they can live with, let's just have an election and start over, which makes sense for them, as they are currently looking at a potential landslide victory in a nationwide election.

For all its faults, maybe there's something to be said for the stability provided by our calendrical election cycle.

yeah, but why suffer through a trump type for 4 years when it was obvious about 15 mins in

But he is wrong in one regard, it will be another conservative that will replace Tuss next week. So it isn't like they are going to change how they are going to respond. They are just changing who announces the continuation of policy.

I can't believe she didn't try to stick it out a bit longer. Churchill or Thatcher wouldn't have given in this quickly. I think it shows she clearly was the wrong person.

Looks like a coup d'etat to override the will of the voters and install Rishi Sunak. I predict many conservatives will abandon the party and turn toward Farage. Hard to blame them.

Except for healthcare delivery, the War on Drugs, primary school education, soccer
We have a long way to go with soccer ‘till we get to a point where we riot and kill each other over a match.

Reactions: DANC
But he is wrong in one regard, it will be another conservative that will replace Tuss next week. So it isn't like they are going to change how they are going to respond. They are just changing who announces the continuation of policy.

I can't believe she didn't try to stick it out a bit longer. Churchill or Thatcher wouldn't have given in this quickly. I think it shows she clearly was the wrong person.
What's interesting is that they basically stole Farages Brexit and then peed all over it and bloodied it. I blame Johnston and his cronies for these actions. People voted for Brexit because you cannot live on 7 pound per hour in London or anywhere. They were concerned about low wages due to immigration from the EU. Instead, Johnston and his ilk traded EU migrants for those from India! Braverman was due to tackle this issue on the day after she resigned so they forced her out! Now they are trying to install Sunak on the public. A man who has stolen tens of millions from the public and until last year maintained an American greencard while a member of parliament! People are absolutely fed up globally with the garbage of the elites. I'm not sure if you saw the article the other day about the number of generals working for foreign countries. They need to change the laws around corruption and implement most severe consequences.

We are way ahead by mostly refusing to get sucked into that boring ass sport.
pulisic-man-united-chelsea-transfer.jpg
hi-res-153039424-clint-dempsey-of-tottenham-hotspur-scores-his-sides_crop_north.jpg

GettyImages-96892080.jpg
bfsyn15k9ma22rayf8kv.jpg

weston-mckennie-juventus-torino.jpg
weah.jpg

Too late

Change “delivery” to “access” and we can agree. We have the best healthcare in the world if you can access it. Primary school education is a culture problem. It’s a mockery in certain parts of the country but I’ll take it over the Asian 12-15 hour days any day of the week. Europe does it well too.

Better add crime to that list.

Reactions: larsIU
We know the answer to a future Jeopardy question . . . and will soon know the answer to another . . . .

Who was the last PM who met with Queen Elizabeth?
- Liz Truss.

Who was the first PM post-Queen Elizabeth's reign?

shes set for life with the shortest stint

Don't count Boris out until he's dead. I assume there will be a pact against him, but the man doesn't give up.
All more elections do is make people look like clowns. And thank all the Gods we don't do this in the US.

There are policy differences between the various potential Conservative leaders. But I don't think that's the problem. I think the problem is a disconnect between the MPs and the larger Tory membership. MPs like Sunak. They like Mordaunt. They like Hunt. Voters don't. They like Truss and Johnson. So I think this leadership battle and short-lived premiership was sort of a proxy war between MPs and voters, and the voters lost. So now they will have Sunak shoved down their throats, and that might be better for Britain and Europe and the world in the long run, but it won't be good for political stability in the UK. I'll be really surprised if they make it all the way to the end of this term without calling an early election, no matter who ends up winning.

There are policy differences between the various potential Conservative leaders. But I don't think that's the problem. I think the problem is a disconnect between the MPs and the larger Tory membership. MPs like Sunak. They like Mordaunt. They like Hunt. Voters don't. They like Truss and Johnson. So I think this leadership battle and short-lived premiership was sort of a proxy war between MPs and voters, and the voters lost. So now they will have Sunak shoved down their throats, and that might be better for Britain and Europe and the world in the long run, but it won't be good for political stability in the UK. I'll be really surprised if they make it all the way to the end of this term without calling an early election, no matter who ends up winning.

so if I’m understanding you correctly, voters didn’t have as much of a problem with Truss as MPs? If that’s the case, is the media going after the MPs too?

We are way ahead by mostly refusing to get sucked into that boring ass sport.
My neighbor's new Thai wife attended an American professional football game recently. She expected a game more similar to soccer. She wondered why American football players stood around so much without playing.

I told her the long breaks without action provided time for television advertising which is really what professional and college football is all about. She replied, "Now I understand".

My neighbor's new Thai wife attended an American professional football game recently. She expected a game more similar to soccer. She wondered why American football players stood around so much without playing.

I told her the long breaks without action provided time for television advertising which is really what professional and college football is all about. She replied, "Now I understand".

meh, that’s an inaccurate explanation imo, but what do I know

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT