ADVERTISEMENT

Duke makes me sad

Where are they getting a bunch of support without wins?

86 Duke​

2018-2022 Attendance Average: 18,477.20
5-Year Filled Stadium Capacity 46.19%
2022 Average Attendance: 24,505
2022 Filled Stadium Capacity 61.26%

That is the school that basically started this thread.

48 Indiana​

2018-2022 Attendance Average: 36,007.40
5-Year Filled Stadium Capacity 68.03%
2022 Average Attendance: 46,906
2022 Filled Stadium Capacity 88.62%

There is Indiana. You know what teams were below us and above them? Minnesota (50), Georgia Tech (51), Virginia (52), Rutgers (54), Illinois, (57), Maryland (62), Northwestern (63), Stanford (64), Kansas (71), and Houston (73).

That was over the past 5 years. Not bad for the historically losingest program in D1. No fan base has witnessed more losses and we still are near the upper third in attendance. We just need to do like the Buffalo says and actually start putting the requisite resources into the program to get the program in a spot to start earning some wins. The fun environment follows that.

Mellencamp needs replaced. A separate weight room needs built for the other sports so football can have its own. They need to go overpay a little to attract an actual D1 P5 coach to the program. Go raid the second tier conferences like the ACC or Big 12 to get one that wants in the BIG or SEC. Give enough money to hire and retain quality assistants. That should be the minimum. The fans are already there IMO, it is time for the school/team to start upholding their end of the bargain.
And there are enough people in the lot to almost fill it. Just win baby

Reactions: vesuvius13
Ok, Jack mentioned it up above. Trust me, I don't want in the middle of that either.

End of the day, I think if we changed up our approach to some things a bit it would lead to more wins. More wins lead to more and engaged fans which improves game day environment. An improved environment attracts more people who want to be part of an event. Before you know it Indiana is a respectable program. I don't think Michigan and Ohio State is in our cards but we could be a Washington.
No need to get in the middle of his act. 90% of the posters that have been around for for than a couple years are full aware of the facts.

In the year 2525, if man is still alive
If woman can survive. They may find…your ways
finally implemented.

Your ideas make potential sense, but since realization exceeds the limits of my lifetime, I choose my dog to fight another fight with no dog in this fight we fight tonight. Alright?
Everything you think do or say is in the pill you took today

Regarding Memorial Stadium, I attended my first IU game the year it was built, 1960. I never dreamed the north and south ends would one day be enclosed. IU was behind the times already when they finally made that happen, but thankfully they did. Lee Corso’s Clown Show, his first game as IU coach, the team warmed up on the soccer field and arrived at the last minute on a red double-decker British bus driving down a paved road at the north end, leading directly onto the grass field. Corso led the team running in a red jump suit, what became his trademark coaching costume.

I visited the Florida Gators football stadium and a large group of people could be heard partying in the press box in an otherwise empty stadium on a Saturday of an away game. A local told me you can rent the press box for private gatherings. This was some guy’s bachelor party to watch the game. I’m not sure IU’s antiquated press box is conducive to something like this.

I wonder if having your football stadium be the dominating structure on campus, like that of Florida and Purdue’s, not so far removed, is worth a few thousand more studious butts in convenience and mind.

Mellencamp Pavillion, like its namesake, is an antiquated joke. Likewise, Harry Gladstein Fieldhouse (oh, please, people!) in such close proximity to Cook Hall, and now Wilkinson Hall, does not set well in the eye test as the yin-yang of architectural designs. Just the term “fieldhouse” reeks of time past its prime. Suggestion: level it and start anew.

Isn’t it just a matter of time before Mellencamp’s name is taken off the practice field? Classic white assholes, “bullies” if you will, don’t sit well with modern day liberal’s progressive ways of stink…excuse me, thinking.
They actually warmed up in the New Field house and we played on Astro turf . . .

Everything you think do or say is in the pill you took today
Better Loving Through Chemistry

I sheepishly picked up an order of ED pills from a young female pharmacist. As I started to turn away I mumbled in a deep Indian voice something to cut through the tension, the stiffness of the transition…“It big powerful medicine”. With a wry-cocked smile of lips in gloss telling me who’s boss, she whispered “I know” while turning away with a wink of right eye spied.

This talk of dumping Mellencamp's name makes sense to me... he's a real a-hole.

On the other hand, I'm not sure Cuban would have anything to do with football

But,.... If IU wants to create a little buzz around the football program they could always rename it....

... Dr. Alfred Kinsey Memorial Stadium....

after all, football is a game of inches and if you're short by an inch or two you're probably not going to score.

No clue? But we know he's interested in Sports Science and broadcasting. And he was just an example. IU has lots of very wealthy alums. Pitch the idea that their name will be on one of the most impressive, and cutting edge athletics AND sports medicine facilities in the nation...instead of some old renovated building...and maybe you tap in to someone's interests more? Heck, pay Dr. Andrews, or someone like him, to change his allegiances and move his practice North a little bit, and lead the "Andrews Orthopedics and Sports Medicine" program at IU?

Probably not realistic or feasible. Just thinking out of the box on how to amplify the money we should be spending anyways on the football program.
We already have a great start on this with the ground breaking IU Excellence Academy at MS conceived and launched by Glass.

Logical to expand your concepts from there.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT