ADVERTISEMENT

Do you Buy what Cig is Selling?

Do you buy what Cig is Selling?

• He'll Yes! Win Big Year 1, baby!

• Maybe? I've been burned too many times.

• No. This is IU football. That never happens here.

Results are only viewable after voting.

IUCX9

Junior
Nov 30, 2018
Do you buy what Cig is Selling? Good gravy man Cig is on confident SOB! I like it! Fellow old man telling it like it is, no time for BS the young like to spout to make themselves seem more impressive than they are.

CURT CIGNETTI: You know what I always do when I take -- this is my fourth head coaching job. The first two were major rebuilds, and we won big year one, and I fully expect to win big this year.

To vote honestly I'd need a 'hell yes' without the "win big" in year one.

Because yes for me, regardless of if we win big in year one. I'm not a 'maybe, but I'm jaded burned out' answer just because I don't think we'll necessarily win big in year one.

But I voted yes anyway, since that's what coach is selling. Just never know, stuff happens, may get injuries, bad bounces, and win big in year three instead.

He has a plan to win this year and pull some upsets and his record shows this staff can do that. Just think if IU won all the one score games instead of coming short what the season would have been. Knocking off PSU, Illinois, Louisville, MSU, and Purdue. Add in Maryland losing their QB, OSU in a bit of disarray after right now, and Michigan losing so many top players graduating this season and there is a reason Coach Cignetti could be telling all of us the truth.

I am somewhere between win big and it taking more than year. At the lower levels, better coaching can overcome physicality. In the B1G I think athletes have more value and are needed along with coaching. If team plays hard and is well coached...the players will come. We just really need OL to keep QB1 upright and we will be really good in year 3 at the latest.

It can only take one year with the right coach. I was a big disappointment for Wayne HS my first year but figured out what worked for the players putting them in the right system, not what I wanted but what they needed, taking that team to the State Title game. I went from a terrible coach, according to the fans, to the first coach to take them to the final game; this coaching staff could do something similar at IU.

It can only take one year with the right coach. I was a big disappointment for Wayne HS my first year but figured out what worked for the players putting them in the right system, not what I wanted but what they needed, taking that team to the State Title game. I went from a terrible coach, according to the fans, to the first coach to take them to the final game; this coaching staff could do something similar at IU.
You would know better than most. I will go with that.

Do I buy in? I mean, I want it to be true, but do I think it's one way or another? Hell no, we need to see it first. I am excited for him as he seems to be saying and doing things that allow for the opportunity of possible success. But you're only kidding yourself if you think he's proven he'll be successful (even in our mediocre terms), much of anything 20 days into the job. It should be a maybe from everyone until we start seeing some results.

What I will say is if he comes through and is successful while maintaining this bravado, he will be hailed a king in Indiana. But we've seen this type of talk at other programs, and it will bury a coach fast if things go belly up. It truly shortens the leash because nothing is worse for a fanbase than having brutal losses and watching a postgame full of excuses or a coach who maintains "we're right there".....only to never seem to get there.

Reactions: vesuvius13
He has a very different vibe than any other IU football coach I can remember. Terry brought the Rose out in his initial press conference and people thought that was wild. Cignetti talks a big game, but when you've won like he has, is it surprising?

He EXPECTS to win and win big; until he shows me different, I'm a buyer. I also feel like he will be much superior to Wilson and Allen when it comes to in game coaching. Those two guys lost a boatload of close games. A better X and O guy, would win lots of those close contests.

He also exudes a Bobby Knight persona. As we witnessed, you can get away with a lot of BS if you're regularly winning games.

Do I buy in? I mean, I want it to be true, but do I think it's one way or another? Hell no, we need to see it first. I am excited for him as he seems to be saying and doing things that allow for the opportunity of possible success. But you're only kidding yourself if you think he's proven he'll be successful (even in our mediocre terms), much of anything 20 days into the job. It should be a maybe from everyone until we start seeing some results.

What I will say is if he comes through and is successful while maintaining this bravado, he will be hailed a king in Indiana. But we've seen this type of talk at other programs, and it will bury a coach fast if things go belly up. It truly shortens the leash because nothing is worse for a fanbase than having brutal losses and watching a postgame full of excuses or a coach who maintains "we're right there".....only to never seem to get there.

Yea you never know until the team hits the field. I'm guessing close to .500 his first season (hopefully over and going bowling).

I don’t know. I like the hire, like his confidence, and he has a record of winning.

Our recruiting class is last in the B1G overall rankings, mostly because it’s a small class, but the average star rating is higher than 6 other B1G programs this cycle. Not bad. The transfer class overall right now ranks first in the B1G, although mostly because it’s large. The average star rating for transfers is quite low but still middling in the B1G.

Reactions: red hornet
4 games this season could have gone the other way with better preparation, game plan, coaching and game management. That would have given us a 7-5 season with a bowl game.

The core of this coaching staff has been together for awhile. They've made things happen for multiple years.

7 - 9 wins next year isn't an unreasonable expectation. Cig is expecting 13 no doubt.

Because he has won big and won fast literally everywhere he has been, I will give him the benefit of the doubt.

But i will add that his bravado probably gives him less leeway. If they have a "building" year next year and don't go bowling?...

Because he has won big and won fast literally everywhere he has been, I will give him the benefit of the doubt.

But i will add that his bravado probably gives him less leeway. If they have a "building" year next year and don't go bowling?...
Also if he is legit the IU curse will get him somehow. So there is that.

Do you buy what Cig is Selling? Good gravy man Cig is on confident SOB! I like it! Fellow old man telling it like it is, no time for BS the young like to spout to make themselves seem more impressive than they are.

CURT CIGNETTI: You know what I always do when I take -- this is my fourth head coaching job. The first two were major rebuilds, and we won big year one, and I fully expect to win big this year.

Define "win big". 6-6 would be winning big at IU.

Reactions: Al Bino and dr.jb
He'll win big and this time next year he'll be off the greener pastures which would suck but I'll take it! Maybe to Penn St after we pound them and Franklin underperforms again.

Many men have tried...few have succeeded

Five or six wins next year with a new roster will be a niv=ce step forwrd.
Forget a nice step forward as this staff and HC along with the players want more than .500. Coach works on getting complacency out of the team, that along with confidence will go a long way to winning more games.

I am guessing much better than .500.
The schedule is set up really well for a good to great record next year.

I don’t know if it was a consideration on the timing of this coaching change but it’s an ideal first year schedule to get Ws, juice ticket sales with lots of home games, and get a new staff off to a fast start.

Won’t be anything remotely like the Wilson debacle where he couldn’t keep staff, ran half the team off, and coached a five win team down to one his first year!

Forget a nice step forward as this staff and HC along with the players want more than .500. Coach works on getting complacency out of the team, that along with confidence will go a long way to winning more games.
As they should. But this is still an IU program playing the usual brutal IU schedual.

Toddler steps.

4 games this season could have gone the other way with better preparation, game plan, coaching and game management. That would have given us a 7-5 season with a bowl game.

The core of this coaching staff has been together for awhile. They've made things happen for multiple years.

7 - 9 wins next year isn't an unreasonable expectation. Cig is expecting 13 no doubt.
Better preparation - stop committing dumb penalties, be in
the correct defensive position at all times would be a good
start. Any casual observer can see these things.

I am 100% behind him and think he has a great chance to bring a winner to Indiana football. With 8 home games on the schedule next season it sets up nicely to get to 6-7 wins and go bowling. It’s all about momentum. If he can get to a bowl in year 1, it will help the momentum continue to build and recruiting will become a little easier. Get the Jimmy’s and Joe’s and coach the X’s and O’s and we can be a 7-8 win per year program, no doubt.

We weren’t that far off last year. We lost 4 on last possessions - 2 on offense not scoring, 2 on defense not holding a lead. Just a little better coaching and a little more execution and knowing how to WIN the play, and we had 7 wins. But we lost momentum. We didn’t believe. We were beat down and demoralized.

We have 3 OOC games we can win. We play Maryland (who peaked) at home. We play Pee Ewe at home. We play NW.

He is bringing a bunch of guys who know his system. He is bring in a very experienced QB. Our WR and RB rooms are improved.

I think Cig can get us smoking enough to win 6. Claim the “win big” victory. Go to a bowl.

Yes, adapt to player skills. Even if that means at halftime.

I listened to his press conference on signing day and the call with Rhett Lewis...he definitely has an arrogance about him. Reminds me of that guy you meet that's full of SH#T and loves himself. I hope he can back it up in the BIG. Make me a believer!
The press conference had a few instances I wish he would have handled with more tact, but I think he wasn't too bad in the Rhett Lewis interview.

He had a lot of staff and players follow him to IU so a lot of people around him regularly don't have an issue with his personality. Being a bit cocky and arrogant is probably helpful in selling his vision and the program to recruits.

CURT CIGNETTI: You know what I always do when I take -- this is my fourth head coaching job. The first two were major rebuilds, and we won big year one, and I fully expect to win big th

I want to see how he acts when he's 3-4 and has to finish with Wisconsin, Michigan St., Michigan, Ohio St and Purdue.

But I like some hubris in the football program. I can't wait to see it play out.

I see nothing wrong with confidence from a coach that has shown he has a reason to be confident. He took over Elon that was down and was able to beat a very good James Madison so he knows how to challenge teams with better talent.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT