ADVERTISEMENT

Dennett’s attitude towards religion

Ortiz is legit. Suspected is not convicted.
Bonds remains suspected. According to MLB.

MLB is disingenuous as can be with this. Turned a blind eye to it after the strike to get fans back engaged (and win over new ones) and now wants to pull this shit.

they did what they did on the field. Bonds would have been HOF first ballot worthy without the roids. The roids just made it more fun. Possibly top .1% of all eye hand coordination in history. Amazing plate discipline.

Reactions: DANC

MLB is disingenuous as can be with this. Turned a blind eye to it after the strike to get fans back engaged (and win over new ones) and now wants to pull this shit.

they did what they did on the field. Bonds would have been HOF first ballot worthy without the roids. The roids just made it more fun. Possibly top .1% of all eye hand coordination in history. Amazing plate discipline.
Bonds is the best hitter of all time. A travesty of justice he is not in the hall.

Reactions: larsIU
Lot to love here.

Some move away from their parents for a reason, though. Not everyone has fond memories of their upbringing.
Yes, absolutely. Not every family is Ozzie and Harriet.

In fact, when we first moved down here, my daughter didn't want us to live close to her. She was an only child and I think we probably smothered her. I backed off when she got to be a teenager, because I realize you can't deal with teenagers in a logical way. My wife, however, loves to control things (to put it mildly) and she and my daughter were always butting heads. (her attitude towards me changed when she was at IU and I would run down a computer for her since hers broke, her car needed fixing, she needed help moving, etc. Dad's are good for some things after all!)

Fast forward 10 years and 2 3/4 (she's due in June) years and now she wishes we lived next door and she and my wife are going away on a 'girls weekend' for Mother's Day. My job is running the kids where they need to go and helping out when I can.

Her husband was an only child, too, so their kids don't have any aunts or uncles, except great-aunts and great-uncles. So I get that they wanted to get away and start their own life story.

I'm just glad I'm still around to experience grand-parenting - it's way better and more satisfying than parenting. lol

Reactions: BradStevens

Agreed. Bonds and McGuire both were great players without being juiced.

I still laugh when I recall Tony Mandarich and his man-boobs when he tried to get off the 'roids.

She loved it when I took out the Reaper...... Don't fear it, baby!
Teen Choice Awards GIF by FOX Teen Choice

• Haha
I wanna get back to this after a day’s random thoughts. I understand naturalism to be that all of reality can be explained by science and human knowledge. Stated another way, that means the human mind is capable of understanding everything. I have never believed that. I think reality, in all its complexities is a human construct built around what we can comprehend. I think there is more.

For example, the notion that the universe had a beginning and the beginning was with the Big Bang is such a construct. I don’t think so. There is too many unanswerable and in my view questions beyond our understanding about that. We keep posing various ideas and theories to deal with that, but they are just various attempts at naturalism.
Science as a discipline doesn't claim to know everything. In fact, everything is always up for grabs in the next experiment.

No naturalistic thinker I know of believes that humans know all there is to know now, and I doubt many believe that humans ever will know everything. It might be impossible given mathematical constraints on information and the bits in it and storage capacities for even a being the size of the universe to know everything about it.

But things beyond our knowledge (or even knowability) do not count as "supernatural" by definition. It's just that the natural explanation is beyond our grasp. So for example, assume humans evolved to have the IQ of a dog. Would that mean, then, that the naturalist would think that the law of gravity would therefore be supernatural? That it wouldn't exist because dogs don't know of it? The answers are no. The basic assumption behind naturalism is that everything can be explained by reference to a natural cause and that there is nothing beyond nature.

Sometimes the only thing my wife and daughter can agree on is that I'm an asshole. nothing like having both of them standing next to each other, arms crossed, the disgust just oozing from their eyes.
My brother from another mother!

• Haha
Science as a discipline doesn't claim to know everything. In fact, everything is always up for grabs in the next experiment.

No naturalistic thinker I know of believes that humans know all there is to know now, and I doubt many believe that humans ever will know everything. It might be impossible given mathematical constraints on information and the bits in it and storage capacities for even a being the size of the universe to know everything about it.

But things beyond our knowledge (or even knowability) do not count as "supernatural" by definition. It's just that the natural explanation is beyond our grasp. So for example, assume humans evolved to have the IQ of a dog. Would that mean, then, that the naturalist would think that the law of gravity would therefore be supernatural? That it wouldn't exist because dogs don't know of it? The answers are no. The basic assumption behind naturalism is that everything can be explained by reference to a natural cause and that there is nothing beyond nature.
Agree with all that, but I believe there is a power that has created 'naturalism'.

I thought he just bet on the reds to win while he was playing. He basically bet on himself. And it is sooooo different than fixing to lose
Rose is an inveterate liar:

And here's the rule. Couldn't be more clear. It doesn't make an exception if you got a lot of hits:

Dowd said he wished he'd had the Bertolini notebook in 1989, but he didn't need it to justify Rose's banishment. Under MLB Rule 21, "Any player, umpire, or club or league official or employee, who shall bet any sum whatsoever upon any baseball game in connection with which the bettor has a duty to perform shall be declared permanently ineligible."

But Rose's supporters have based part of their case for his reinstatement on his claim that he never bet while he was a player or against his team, saying that sins he committed as a manager shouldn't diminish what he did as a player.

"The rule says, if you bet, it doesn't say for or against. It's another device by Pete to try to excuse what he did," Dowd said. "But when he bet, he was gone. He placed his financial interest ahead of the Reds, period."

Reactions: DANC and mcmurtry66

If something is unknowable to human beings, why don’t you agree tgat is supernatural?

Take UAP’s. Many hard scientists agree they are real and result from some kind of intelligence, even though they defy all natural science. Are they super natural?

A better question is do you consider supernatural to be figments of human imagination and are in no sense real?

If something is unknowable to human beings, why don’t you agree tgat is supernatural?

Take UAP’s. Many hard scientists agree they are real and result from some kind of intelligence, even though they defy all natural science. Are they super natural?

A better question is do you consider supernatural to be figments of human imagination and are in no sense real?
One thing I do know is every one of the Apostles died a terrible death. John the Apostle was not martyred but tradition says the Romans boiled him in oil and he survived and was thus exiled to the Isle of Patmos to live the rest of his life. Why did they go through so much? It was because they truly believed Jesus rose again from the grave thus cementing His claim to be God's Son and the Lamb of God who was sacrificed for the human race's sin. The point I make is they really believed it enough to die. Nobody dies for a lie they know is a lie. So the question is what happened to cause them to do this? It's because the Gospel is true and Jesus is the Risen Savior.

I would argue they don't defy all natural science, we don't know what we are seeing. There are many theories, for example, they might be bleed from a close by dimension. Or maybe the power they exert makes parts of them visible through time. So maybe we have developed craft in 100 years that for some reason we can see parts of today. What if the craft have partially effective cloaking, we are seeing different parts that make it appear like it is moving at speeds/angles it shouldn't be able to. Since we don't have any idea what they are, we can't say.

I heard a great literary explanation for science fiction vs fantasy. Is it at least theoretically possible that human kind can develop the power and technology? If so, science fiction. If not, fantasy. Though who knows, the Apple Ring may well be the one ring to rule them all.

I would argue they don't defy all natural science, we don't know what we are seeing. There are many theories, for example, they might be bleed from a close by dimension. Or maybe the power they exert makes parts of them visible through time. So maybe we have developed craft in 100 years that for some reason we can see parts of today. What if the craft have partially effective cloaking, we are seeing different parts that make it appear like it is moving at speeds/angles it shouldn't be able to. Since we don't have any idea what they are, we can't say.

I heard a great literary explanation for science fiction vs fantasy. Is it at least theoretically possible that human kind can develop the power and technology? If so, science fiction. If not, fantasy. Though who knows, the Apple Ring may well be the one ring to rule them all.
I watch all those shows. Ancient aliens. NASA files. Unexplained

One thing I do know is every one of the Apostles died a terrible death. John the Apostle was not martyred but tradition says the Romans boiled him in oil and he survived and was thus exiled to the Isle of Patmos to live the rest of his life. Why did they go through so much? It was because they truly believed Jesus rose again from the grave thus cementing His claim to be God's Son and the Lamb of God who was sacrificed for the human race's sin. The point I make is they really believed it enough to die. Nobody dies for a lie they know is a lie. So the question is what happened to cause them to do this? It's because the Gospel is true and Jesus is the Risen Savior.
Zero eyewitnesses or first hand accounts of any of that. Paul, the closest in time, does not see a bodily resurrection. Rather, he sees light and a voice. It is only when he is taken up to the third heaven that he sees anything. And if you believe that story, then I have a baby's arm holding an apple .....

And that is the biggest problem with religion that is based upon revelation.

I mean, better than Vanderpump or whatever that shit is
Yeah that’s wrong. They have a new spinoff called The Valley that’s EXCELLENT. Anyway the one chick is my exact type. Mia Sanchez. Former miss USA. Perfect. So hot. Well now she had another baby. Can’t stop crying. Doesn’t think it’s the baby blues but instead full on depression. Every time they go to one of those amazing West Hollywood spots WE BELONG she bursts in tears. I mean for fck sake if it isn’t a reminder of , well, everything that is just too much with these chicks

Yeah that’s wrong. They have a new spinoff called The Valley that’s EXCELLENT. Anyway the one chick is my exact type. Mia Sanchez. Former miss USA. Perfect. So hot. Well now she had another baby. Can’t stop crying. Doesn’t think it’s the baby blues but instead full on depression. Every time they go to one of those amazing West Hollywood spots WE BELONG she bursts in tears. I mean for fck sake if it isn’t a reminder of , well, everything that is just too much with these chicks
200.gif

i would pay CRAZY CHILD SUPPORT for this one

nia-sanchez-at-the-miss-universe-2017-held-at-planet-hollywood-in-las-vegas-261117_6.jpg
But why?

It's like paying 150 million for Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaland when you could get Ivan Toney for 50 million.

Is it really 3x better or is it just a status thing at that point.

Edit: I'm just jelly. The only way I pull that is if she doesn't remember it and I'd just hit powerball for one billy.

But why?

It's like paying 150 million for Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaland when you could get Ivan Toney for 50 million.

Is it really 3x better or is it just a status thing at that point.

Edit: I'm just jelly. The only way I pull that is if she doesn't remember it and I'd just hit powerball for one billy.
Definitely not status. It has to do with horniness. See you’re defective. You can take a wider approach. It gives you options. For me. Not so much. I have to go all in which can have disasterous results

• Haha
Definitely not status. It has to do with horniness. See you’re defective. You can take a wider approach. It gives you options. For me. Not so much. I have to go all in which can have disasterous results
So I'm lucky to be a solid 6?

I'll take it.

Reactions: mcmurtry66
Sometimes the only thing my wife and daughter can agree on is that I'm an asshole. nothing like having both of them standing next to each other, arms crossed, the disgust just oozing from their eyes.
"It's not you dad, it's us".

• Love
Reactions: hoosboot

Supernatural doesn't mean unknown. It means something that can't be explained by natural phenomena. Not because the answer is unknown, but because the answer is genuinely not natural.

Supernatural doesn't mean unknown. It means something that can't be explained by natural phenomena. Not because the answer is unknown, but because the answer is genuinely not natural.
Supernatural doesn't mean unknown. It means something that can't be explained by natural phenomena.”.

I think you are begging the question. Things that at one time seemed supnatural became unknown and finally known.

“Not because the answer is unknown, but because the answer is genuinely not natural.”.

We tend to dismiss incomprehensible unknowns by calling them supernatural therefore dismissing them as imaginary or fantasy. Some things are simply beyond us.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT