ADVERTISEMENT

Dennett’s attitude towards religion

“I regret the residual irrationalism valorized by almost all religion, but I don’t see the state playing the succoring, comforting role well, so until we find secular successor organizations to take up that humane task, I am not in favor of ushering churches off the scene. I would rather assist in transforming these organizations into forms that are not caught in the trap of irrational—and necessarily insincere—allegiance to patent nonsense.”

If I ever say this to you, it means you’re idiot.
Don't religions have a history of transforming and throwing away nonsense beliefs? Think the Catholic Church, pre-Reformation. You, today, look at those people and think tehy held irrational beliefs, and many were insincere about them (e.g. Indulgences). Don't we in the West think Islam should do this and become more moderate by throwing away their irrational beliefs that make women second-class citizens or valorize death-dealing martyrs, etc?

“I regret the residual irrationalism valorized by almost all religion, but I don’t see the state playing the succoring, comforting role well, so until we find secular successor organizations to take up that humane task, I am not in favor of ushering churches off the scene. I would rather assist in transforming these organizations into forms that are not caught in the trap of irrational—and necessarily insincere—allegiance to patent nonsense.”

If I ever say this to you, it means you’re idiot.
I might put it in my sig. If I knew how to do that. @UncleMark and @Marvin the Martian help!

I love religion and I think we should encourage it. As long as it fits with the following:

“When the Son of Man comes in his glory and all the angels with him, then he will sit on the throne of his glory. All the nations will be gathered before him, and he will separate people one from another as a shepherd separates the sheep from the goats, and he will put the sheep at his right hand and the goats at the left. Then the king will say to those at his right hand, ‘Come, you who are blessed by my Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world, for I was hungry and you gave me food, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you welcomed me, I was naked and you gave me clothing, I was sick and you took care of me, I was in prison and you visited me.’ Then the righteous will answer him, ‘Lord, when was it that we saw you hungry and gave you food or thirsty and gave you something to drink? And when was it that we saw you a stranger and welcomed you or naked and gave you clothing? And when was it that we saw you sick or in prison and visited you?’ And the king will answer them, ‘Truly I tell you, just as you did it to one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did it to me.’ Then he will say to those at his left hand, ‘You who are accursed, depart from me into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels, for I was hungry and you gave me no food, I was thirsty and you gave me nothing to drink, I was a stranger and you did not welcome me, naked and you did not give me clothing, sick and in prison and you did not visit me.’ Then they also will answer, ‘Lord, when was it that we saw you hungry or thirsty or a stranger or naked or sick or in prison and did not take care of you?’ Then he will answer them, ‘Truly I tell you, just as you did not do it to one of the least of these, you did not do it to me.’ And these will go away into eternal punishment but the righteous into eternal life.”
Harsh.

The chance of that is less than 1%. People like him are almost always statist.
Ill Be Back Jim Carrey GIF

“Dollars are an interesting case. Probably one of the most powerful subliminal supports for the belief in the reality of dollars comes from the undoubted existence of dollar bills and coins, legal tender you can see and weigh and manipulate and carry around. Bitcoin, in contrast, seems much more illusory to most folks, but if they reflect on it, they will discover that the palpable, foldable dollar bills that are physical objects are ontological crutches of sorts, to be thrown away once you’ve learned how to walk, leaving in place only the mutual expectations and habits that can in principle support bitcoin as well as dollars. Well into the twentieth century there were heated political debates on the necessity of maintaining such crutches—the gold standard and silver certificates, and the like—but tomorrow’s children may grow up with only credit cards to hold and manipulate and be none the worse off for it. Dollars are real; they just aren’t what you may think they are.”

Excerpt From From Bacteria to Bach and Back Daniel C. Dennett

Don't religions have a history of transforming and throwing away nonsense beliefs? Think the Catholic Church, pre-Reformation. You, today, look at those people and think tehy held irrational beliefs, and many were insincere about them (e.g. Indulgences).
I don’t actually. I think we know far less about our history (or the reality of the individual might be a better way to say it) than we tell ourselves. We read a few history books and fit the story in our heads, like we understand it, but the older I get the less I know.
Don't we in the West think Islam should do this and become more moderate by throwing away their irrational beliefs that make women second-class citizens or valorize death-dealing martyrs, etc?
I’m a Christian, so it’s not surprising Muslims hold those beliefs. They worship a false God.

I don’t actually. I think we know far less about our history (or the reality of the individuals might be a better way to say it) than we tell ourselves. We read a few history books and fit the story in our heads, like we understand it, but the older I get the less I know.

I’m a Christian, so it’s not surprising Muslims hold those beliefs. They worship a false God.
But do you believe all Muslims idiots?

Re Indulges, you think by donating money to the church you can shave a few million years off of purgatory? Or you think that's not a nonsense belief? I don't believe you think either.

No, just misled. Starting from the assumption there is a God, it would mean there is a Devil. The Bible warns of the ways of the Devil.

Also, I could get on board with we’re all idiots. Christians, Muslims, Atheists, and etc, but I doubt Dennett agrees.

The answer is free will. What type of just God would force you to worship him?

No. Free will is never the case for victims. Those girls that were killed by their own dad and shoved into barrels in CO didn’t get to live by free will.

9/11. 10/7. Vegas. Nashville. Sandy hook. Texas. The babies in OH, UK, etc.

Some victims believers, some not. He didn’t help any of them.

Reactions: manichi
I regret the residual irrationalism valorized by almost all religion, but I don’t see the state playing the succoring, comforting role well, so until we find secular successor organizations to take up that humane task, I am not in favor of ushering churches off the scene. I would rather assist in transforming these organizations into forms that are not caught in the trap of irrational—and necessarily insincere—allegiance to patent nonsense.
I don’t understand the point.

I’ll accept his “residual irrationalism” comment as simply the product of the mind of an atheist. I don’t get this part of the quote a pasted above. Is he saying religion is caught in the trap of irrational and insincere nonsense, or is he describing secular successor organizations? I disagree if he is talking about religion. Religion is not intended to be an expression of intellect. Any successor organization intended to fix the “irrationalism” problem will a fortiori be insincere.
“residual irrationalism” Sounds like a euphemism for faith, @CO. Hoosier … a fine example of obfuscation. Isn’t it a religion’s faith that promotes hope. By hiding it in dismissive terms, “faith” becomes minimized and not considered as a font of benefit for the religious, beyond the moral guidance (perhaps most famously the Ten Commandments) provided by major religions. What canon volume provides moral guidance, for an Aetheist, BTW. Legal laws aren’t always considered to be “moral”.

No, just misled. Starting from the assumption there is a God, it would mean there is a Devil. The Bible warns of the ways of the Devil.

Also, I could get on board with we’re all idiots. Christians, Muslims, Atheists, and etc, but I doubt Dennett agrees.
He does agree, in a sense.

Reactions: snarlcakes
I've long not believed because either: 1) there is no god or 2) god exists and is an asshole.

There's no other way to describe the horrible things that happen all of the time on this planet.
Yes, “Free Will” seems a poor explanation for these … then again, being preordained is an even worse thought, as everything bad (like Hitler and Stalin) was fated to happen, in “God’s Design”.

Reactions: BradStevens
“residual irrationalism” Sounds like a euphemism for faith, @CO. Hoosier … a fine example of obfuscation. Isn’t it a religion’s faith that promotes hope. By hiding it in dismissive terms, “faith” becomes minimized and not considered as a font of benefit for the religious, beyond the moral guidance (perhaps most famously the Ten Commandments) provided by major religions. What canon volume provides moral guidance, for an Aetheist, BTW. Legal laws aren’t always considered to be “moral”.
Human beings don’t need a “canon volume” to act morally.

Re Indulges, you think by donating money to the church you can shave a few million years off of purgatory? Or you think that's not a nonsense belief? I don't believe you think either.
Well indulgences were a central tenent in Luther’s Reformation. Luther held that scripture required one’s faith alone as the key requirement to get to heaven. And one didn’t need to buy insurance to go to heaven (sooner).

Human beings don’t need a “canon volume” to act morally.
It’s a rhetorical question about where would moral guidance come from, without religion.
“Sociopaths” are said to have no moral compass and won’t act morally when it counts.
… Then again, not everyone agrees Sociopaths are “human”.

Last edited:
This article lists some of the high points (not even close to enough, in my mind) of Dan Dennett’s thought.

On religion:

Religion doesn’t need to be abolished—merely fixed
Does religion “poison everything,” as my dear, late friend Hitch [Christopher Hitchens] insisted on saying? Only in a very attenuated sense, I think. Many things are quite harmless in moderation and poisonous only in quantity. I understand why Hitch emphasized this view; as a foreign correspondent he had much first-hand, dangerous experience with the worst features of religion, while I know of all that only at second hand—often from his reportage. I, in contrast, have known people whose lives would be desolate and friendless if it weren’t for the non-judgemental welcome they have received in one religious organization or another. I regret the residual irrationalism valorized by almost all religion, but I don’t see the state playing the succoring, comforting role well, so until we find secular successor organizations to take up that humane task, I am not in favor of ushering churches off the scene. I would rather assist in transforming these organizations into forms that are not caught in the trap of irrational—and necessarily insincere—allegiance to patent nonsense.
Isn't he just touting Deism as practiced by many of our Founders like TJ?

I'm guessing most here dismiss the "faith of believers" of billions--in Islam, Buddhism, Hinduism, Mormons, Catholics, Protestants, Pentecostals, Amish, etc.

Don't think the quoted piece from Dennett does it arrogantly, though. Hitchens and Dawkins? OK, fair criticisms. I'll let @Mark Milton defend them.
well I have to go walk the dog on our dawn patrol exercise. And after seeing the post about the size of @mcmurtry66 's crank, I need to also throw up..

I'm guessing most here dismiss the "faith of believers" of billions--in Islam, Buddhism, Hinduism, Mormons, Catholics, Protestants, Pentecostals, Amish, etc.

Don't think the quoted piece from Dennett does it arrogantly, though. Hitchens and Dawkins? OK, fair criticisms. I'll let @Mark Milton defend them.
Hitchens was respectful but spared no punches. Dawkins vitriol increased as he was predictably torn to shreds on the personal level from all levels and all religions. Hitchens and Dawkins had the unenviable task of being amongst the first atheists (or anti-theists) who were part of the social media world. Which is to say, their message was instantly received by billions.

Hitchens took on the Catholic Church and Mother Theresa. He took on Islam and Judaism. Jerry Falwell and the TV evangelists were not spared the rod. He could be gruff and confrontational (he buried Fallwell, Al Sharpton).

Think about this--8 billion people in the world right now--or thereabouts.

2.4 bil christians
1.9 bil muslims
1.2 bil Hindus
500 mil Buddhists

6 billion people are followers of these 4 religions. No less than 3.6 bil people from just these groupings are wrong. It could be 5.5 bil of people who are wrong.

How could so many people get it wrong if there is one right answer?

Dennett's quote wasn't arrogant. It was just a position.

He wants organizations that fill all the roles of religion, without the belief in the supernatural or the irrational. A close analog might be modern day Jews--many are atheists but still participate for the meaning, culture, etc.

Could say the same about Catholics

Reactions: BradStevens
It's irrational to post controversial and provocative content and not expect blowback.

Good to know, though, that you're apparently cool with someone who arrogantly dismisses the faith of believers.
That unfortunately goes both ways.

I bet every single atheist has run into a religious person that has passed judgment on them despite the "thou shall not judge" thing.

I don't have issue with being religious or with any church. I do take issue with the people that use the church for their own gain. And I do think mega churches have kind of lost the point of their mission.

That unfortunately goes both ways.

I bet every single atheist has run into a religious person that has passed judgment on them despite the "thou shall not judge" thing.

Truth. My mom still cannot accept my belief system (or lack thereof). I literally have the same conversation over and over with her-borrowing a phrase from Hitch: "mom, I'm perfectly content with you playing with your toys, but I do not want your toys and I do not want to play with your toys".....

Moral of Hitchens' philosophy was always "believe what you want, but don't be an ass".

"Each of us, a cell of awareness, imperfect and incomplete.
Genetic blends with uncertain ends on a fortune hunt that's far too fleet"
N Peart

There's a god. All this didn't just happen by chance. Man perverts God's wishes via organized religion for his own reasons of accumulating power, wealth and all the trappings that go along with it. The idea that the state should figure out how to replace churches at some point when the state can figure out how to do it better is horrible thinking. Statism is just another form of organized religion.

"And that's all I've got to say about that."
F Gump

Reactions: DANC and larsIU
He wants organizations that fill all the roles of religion, without the belief in the supernatural or the irrational. A close analog might be modern day Jews--many are atheists but still participate for the meaning, culture, etc.
I think that is right. And that is the problem.

Being “rational” limits our minds. Creatures with less evolved brains than humans have no ability to be “irrational”. If supernatural means unseen things exist then yeah, religion might involve belief in the supernatural. That’s not a bad thing. Without gravity, the universe would not exist. We cannot see gravity and we really don’t know what it is. Is it supernatural?

No. Free will is never the case for victims. Those girls that were killed by their own dad and shoved into barrels in CO didn’t get to live by free will.

9/11. 10/7. Vegas. Nashville. Sandy hook. Texas. The babies in OH, UK, etc.

Some victims believers, some not. He didn’t help any of them.
You have free will to choose Christ. Not free will from awful things happening to you. If God intervened every time someone did something bad, there wouldn’t be free will.

You have free will to choose Christ. Not free will from awful things happening to you. If God intervened every time someone did something bad, there wouldn’t be free will.
So we have free will because the boss says we have it....

He doesn't use the word "idiot" and he doesn't believe all religious people idiots.

He does say that religious people believe nonsense--and you would say this about millions of Muslims who think they're going to receive multiple virgins upon death in Paradise for being a martyr. Or a billion Hindus who believe that cows are sacred and in reincarnation.

But Dennett believes all, or nearly all people believe "nonsense" (e.g. in free will) but that that does not make them idiots. (you can pick up on that in the article I linked).
The only way to escape believing in “nonsense” is to be an atheist? I don’t buy it. Our minds are better than that.

A point of clarification. By “ religion” I’m not talking about turning unknown unknowables into specifics. . I’m using it in the broadest possible sense, meaning all things unseen, and unknown.

Reactions: DANC
I love religion and I think we should encourage it. As long as it fits with the following:

“When the Son of Man comes in his glory and all the angels with him, then he will sit on the throne of his glory. All the nations will be gathered before him, and he will separate people one from another as a shepherd separates the sheep from the goats, and he will put the sheep at his right hand and the goats at the left. Then the king will say to those at his right hand, ‘Come, you who are blessed by my Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world, for I was hungry and you gave me food, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you welcomed me, I was naked and you gave me clothing, I was sick and you took care of me, I was in prison and you visited me.’ Then the righteous will answer him, ‘Lord, when was it that we saw you hungry and gave you food or thirsty and gave you something to drink? And when was it that we saw you a stranger and welcomed you or naked and gave you clothing? And when was it that we saw you sick or in prison and visited you?’ And the king will answer them, ‘Truly I tell you, just as you did it to one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did it to me.’ Then he will say to those at his left hand, ‘You who are accursed, depart from me into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels, for I was hungry and you gave me no food, I was thirsty and you gave me nothing to drink, I was a stranger and you did not welcome me, naked and you did not give me clothing, sick and in prison and you did not visit me.’ Then they also will answer, ‘Lord, when was it that we saw you hungry or thirsty or a stranger or naked or sick or in prison and did not take care of you?’ Then he will answer them, ‘Truly I tell you, just as you did not do it to one of the least of these, you did not do it to me.’ And these will go away into eternal punishment but the righteous into eternal life.”
Not to diminish your point, but I think whole idea of God is much bigger than this.

God isn’t condemning you to hell. You’re rejecting God and choosing a world without him. Hell is that world.
Whoever believes in the Son has eternal life; whoever does not obey the Son shall not see life, but the wrath of God remains on him. John 3:36

Whoever believes in him is not condemned, but whoever does not believe is condemned already, because he has not believed in the name of the only Son of God. John 3:18.

I mean we haven't even touched Revelations yet.... the promised fire and brimstone and eternal damnation.

Freewill. Gun to the head of "believe in me or face damnation". Some choice.

Reactions: larsIU
Whoever believes in the Son has eternal life; whoever does not obey the Son shall not see life, but the wrath of God remains on him. John 3:36

Whoever believes in him is not condemned, but whoever does not believe is condemned already, because he has not believed in the name of the only Son of God. John 3:18.

I mean we haven't even touched Revelations yet.... the promised fire and brimstone and eternal damnation.

Your issue is with Satan. Take it up with him. Maybe he will tidy up the place if you ask nicely 😉

I think the question is whether there is a physical hell. I don’t think so. But I do believe people can create their own living hell on earth by not having hope that faith provides.

Reactions: DANC
The only way to escape believing in “nonsense” is to be an atheist? I don’t buy it. Our minds are better than that.

A point of clarification. By “ religion” I’m not talking about turning unknown unknowables into specifics. . I’m using it in the broadest possible sense, meaning all things unseen, and unknown.
The post before you made a play for defending the irrational (fair argument, even if surprising coming from you) and now you’re saying our minds are better than believing in the irrational?

Dennett believes all (or nearly all) human beings believe in the illusion of free will, including atheists.

And not all atheists deny the existence of the supernatural. Some believe in ghosts or chakras, etc.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT