ADVERTISEMENT

D1Baseball has IU a 1-seed in their latest projections...

ptrich

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Nov 2, 2001
D1Baseball came out with their latest Field of 64 projections and they have IU hosting as the 1-seed. IU moved up to a RPI of 14 after all of the games were completed last night. They have the B1G with three teams with the other two being Iowa and Maryland as 3-seeds. They dropped Rutgers from their previous projection. Here is their latest projection for IU and in their seeding, they have IU the last of the 16 regional No. 1 seeds:

Bloomington Regional

1 Indiana (16)
4 Kent State

2 Louisville
3 Tennessee

I might add that Indiana State moved ahead of IU in the RPI rankings at No. 13, but they replaced IU as the 2-seed in the Lexington Regional where they had IU in their last projection.

Last edited:
I just don't see it panning out that way but it's cool to be in that spot right now. Between the B1G RPI sucking donkey ballz and our pitching staff having some question marks, I see us as more likely a 2 somewhere. But that's why they play the games.

I just don't see it panning out that way but it's cool to be in that spot right now. Between the B1G RPI sucking donkey ballz and our pitching staff having some question marks, I see us as more likely a 2 somewhere. But that's why they play the games.
idk, but I'm going to take the high road on it, although you may be correct in that 2-seed somewhere scenario since the B1G is seen as the 6th best baseball conference out there, and who knows what the selection committee will be thinking at selection time. D1Baseball just barely had us in their projections as the last of the 1-seeds, but this team is capable of finishing strong in the conference and that may be enough to get that top seed and host a regional. We have certainly had question marks with the pitching staff, but you probably won't find a team in the B1G that doesn't have some of that. Plus, our pitching has gotten some really good performances of late, with what Ey and Phillips did lately and we are third in team ERA in the B1G right now and very close to the No. 1 and 2 teams in that category. Coach Mercer hinted that Ey will be part of the weekend rotation against Ohio, so we will find out if his performance against the Illini was an aberration or not. Our toughest opponent left in the B1G regular season will be Maryland and we have them at The Bart, so if we have a strong showing against them, we will have to feel pretty good about our post-season standing.

It's just hard for me not to have a highly positive vibe about the team.

On a side note, I was extremely surprised that Minnesota hammered Iowa's Brecht over the weekend, chasing him after something like four innings, and the Gophers went on to win big in that game. Brecht just totally dominated us in their opening series win. Iowa was highly regarded going into the season, but they are just 4-5 in the B1G right now and they have a big series at home with the Huskers this weekend, which will have a big impact on IU if the Huskers take that series. Minnesota got off to a really tough start to the season, but they have tied Iowa with their 4-5 start in the B1G, so that team has improved quite a bit of late.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT