ADVERTISEMENT

D Play Calls

daddyhoosier

Junior
Aug 31, 2019
iufb.net
A lingering thought I've had...A lot has been made of CTA giving up calling plays on D, taking that back on and now giving it up again. I just wonder how much the jump under Wommack in 19 & 20 can be attributed to Allen not calling the plays vs Wommack calling them. In other words maybe Wommack deserves more credit here. Of course in today's landscape the Head Ball Coach has to delegate, plain and simple, I'm just saying maybe there is an overemphasis on that dynamic in this case. Wommack is pretty good, USA balls on the defensive side.

A lingering thought I've had...A lot has been made of CTA giving up calling plays on D, taking that back on and now giving it up again. I just wonder how much the jump under Wommack in 19 & 20 can be attributed to Allen not calling the plays vs Wommack calling them. In other words maybe Wommack deserves more credit here. Of course in today's landscape the Head Ball Coach has to delegate, plain and simple, I'm just saying maybe there is an overemphasis on that dynamic in this case. Wommack is pretty good, USA balls on the defensive side.
The D doesn’t run plays.

Wommack did a great job for us and he has proven to be a very good head coach. South Alabama laid an egg in the New Orleans Bowl last year, but they were 10-2 in the regular season, with the two losses by a combined five points. One of those losses was a 1-point loss to UCLA in Pasadena.

Wommack will be a P5 HC before too long.

I miss the swarm D. And we're probably going to miss the boat on him too

Our defense was good in 2016, 2017, and to a lesser extent 2018, without Wommack.

I mean, Wommack was here in 2018, but Allen hadn't handed him the reins yet.

Reactions: vesuvius13
Our defense was good in 2016, 2017, and to a lesser extent 2018, without Wommack.

I mean, Wommack was here in 2018, but Allen hadn't handed him the reins yet.
Yes in 2016 Indiana was one of the most improved defenses in the country under Allen. I still think 2020 with Wommack was qualitatively different from any other year we've seen from Indiana on defense. They turned the ball over and just made plays all year. I'm not saying Allen overextending himself isn't a factor in all this, I'm saying it's not the only factor. Another factor I mentioned last year may be the failure to evolve as CFB caught up to the scheme. There is an ebb and flow in all of this and if you stay stationary relying only on what worked before you are going to fall behind.

No doubt about it, Wommack was top drawer.

Maybe ... in a couple of years ... something will change. 🙄
Some day when I’m bored I’ll go back through threads from 2019. People complained about him non freaking stop. “Not ready for big time,” “he’s only got the job because his dad and CTA are friends,” “he’s terrible,” etc.

I’m not directing this at you. It’s just relevant to your comment. Wommack was a good one that a lot would’ve thrown away after year 1.

To me, if your HC is calling the defensive plays there is a problem with the HC or the DC.

Wommack did a great job for us and he has proven to be a very good head coach. South Alabama laid an egg in the New Orleans Bowl last year, but they were 10-2 in the regular season, with the two losses by a combined five points. One of those losses was a 1-point loss to UCLA in Pasadena.

Wommack will be a P5 HC before too long.

I’d bring him back here. He is good. He comes from a coaching family. His dad was a defensive coach for forever. Hell, bring his dad out of retirement to be the DC.

Jeremy Chadwell. He’s an up and comer.
Lot of good young coaches out there.

Reactions: vesuvius13
The terms defensive play-caller and defensive play are each ubiquitous in both Pro and College Football. (And Madden FWIW lol.)

Publications / Organizations using the term Defensive Play-caller: ESPN, CBS, Sports Illustrated, Arizona Cardinals, ABC, Detroit Free Press, the Score, Eleven Warriors, Yahoo! This is not a deep dive, literally the first few to come up. Here is Ryan Day being asked about it and he didn't push back and say, whoa whoa whoa, there's no such thing. He just answers the question. Coaching text books, coaching clinic YouTube channels, man why am I even doing this tbh?

Defensive Plays - Looking at defensive playbooks with...yes, plays in them. Formation + Coverage + Blitz or Stunt = Defensive Play Call. Obviously there are different systems with different terms and if you don't want to say play or play-caller for defense that's fine, but don't say it doesn't exist because it's just not accurate.

Didn’t want to be too early to the party…but get your popcorn out. Gonna be some wrinkles.
Yes, there is six years of game tape on Allen concept defenses … doing different things after the past two years only makes sense. In 2020 the double A gap blitz got home nearly every time … 2021 and 2022 … not nearly as much. Self scouting (Ron Carey’s job as defensive analyst) would say do something different and break six years of tendencies.

For example, typical alignment was an under … Fickle had some different looks at UC …

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT