ADVERTISEMENT

Tom Allen should Fire himself as DC

76-1

Hall of Famer
Mar 22, 2017
Indiana
I'm serious as a heart attack... No other FBS team in the country would tolerate a DC (or a Defensive Play Caller to be exact) whose Defense is giving up an average of over 35 points a game over the last five games...

Our senior laden D can't tackle consistently when it counts, cant cover consistently when it counts, and shoots themselves in the foot with stupid penalties when we can least afford them... That all goes back on the guy calling the plays and making the final decisions as to how the D practices...

Allen needs to turn over the reins to his current DC "in name only" and attempt to learn how to be a full time Head Coach... He's clearly lost his edge as a Defensive play caller... He probably doesn't want to believe that but all he needs to do is review the last five game tapes if he needs confirmation...

I'm serious as a heart attack... No other FBS team in the country would tolerate a DC (or a Defensive Play Caller to be exact) whose Defense is giving up an average of over 35 points a game over the last five games...

Our senior laden D can't tackle consistently when it counts, cant cover consistently when it counts, and shoots themselves in the foot with stupid penalties when we can least afford them... That all goes back on the guy calling the plays and making the final decisions as to how the D practices...

Allen needs to turn over the reins to his current DC "in name only" and attempt to learn how to be a full time Head Coach... He's clearly lost his edge as a Defensive play caller... He probably doesn't want to believe that but all he needs to do is review the last five game tapes if he needs confirmation...
He calls stuff that his talent can’t sustain.

Allen's hiring of coaches is his undoing. He hired a terrible OC last year, and replaced him with a mediocre one this year. He hired a weak DC last year with little experience as a DC and then replaced him with a DC with no head coaching experience. Allen should have been trying to hire somebody better than himself.

Allen's hiring of coaches is his undoing. He hired a terrible OC last year, and replaced him with a mediocre one this year. He hired a weak DC last year with little experience as a DC and then replaced him with a DC with no head coaching experience. Allen should have been trying to hire somebody better than himself.
He is the defensive coordinator.

When Allen took over as DC, everyone thought this was some kind of big win for the program. His defense stinks and the guy is a total fraud. We are stuck with this clown show for another 2 years. Will look like the Dinardo years once it is done.
Another Surfboard Fred move. The fan boy has dealt IU with nothing but crap hires.
Bottom line: please don’t hire any more coaches from this state to run a football program. And, sticking with these lifetime IU administrators to try and run sports here is a goat rodeo.
IU serves one purpose in this conference: being a doormat and collecting a pay day. Absolutely adds no value to the conference and should be out trying to find a new home.

Reactions: iulb and Lucy01
When Allen took over as DC, everyone thought this was some kind of big win for the program. His defense stinks and the guy is a total fraud. We are stuck with this clown show for another 2 years. Will look like the Dinardo years once it is done.
Another Surfboard Fred move. The fan boy has dealt IU with nothing but crap hires.
Bottom line: please don’t hire any more coaches from this state to run a football program. And, sticking with these lifetime IU administrators to try and run sports here is a goat rodeo.
IU serves one purpose in this conference: being a doormat and collecting a pay day. Absolutely adds no value to the conference and should be out trying to find a new home.
I don't agree with any of that and still completely believe we can refloat this ship, get off the shoals, and head back in the right direction...; but for this seasons purposes all of that is going to have to occur over the next three weeks (2 games and a Bye week)...

Let's hope Tom Allen has a least one mirror in his home...

I don't agree with any of that and still completely believe we can refloat this ship, get off the shoals, and head back in the right direction...; but for this seasons purposes all of that is going to have to occur over the next three weeks (2 games and a Bye week)...

His teams get worse as the season wears on. Last year and this year are the true IU teams under Allen. 2019-2020 were complete flukes.

I understand his frustration. We come out throw a bad interception on the first play of the game. Spot them 7 points right off the bat. Our offensive line actually protects the Quarterback and we actually push some guys around and can’t get going. We finally start to roll and have momentum on our side. We give up a long return and quick points and then another int. And more points. We get the o going again. We actually take the lead. Quarterback goes down and a backup comes we force what looks like a third and long and we get a dumb. They score after quarterback breaks off long run. We have a long return and are moving the ball and fumble ball is in wrong arm and not really hit. It is so frustrating. But people act like this is something that just started happening to IU. I have neve never seen a program that finds more ways to lose forever. The coaches change the players change but the results seem to stay the same. I too am frustrated. However I would love to see what would happen now that it looks like we may have started to fix our o line. They were better in a week. Not great by any stretch but a long way from where they were. I would love to see the same two coordinators next year. And see what actually happens. We can not continue to change coaches all the time. I don’t know if CTA is right guy. But I also don’t know if he is the wrong one. I think there has been many signs that he can be the guy.

You are completely delusional. This is what a Tom Allen team looks like. We've seen this show over and over from his teams. If he hasn't figured it out by now it ain't likely that he ever will.

I understand his frustration. We come out throw a bad interception on the first play of the game. Spot them 7 points right off the bat. Our offensive line actually protects the Quarterback and we actually push some guys around and can’t get going. We finally start to roll and have momentum on our side. We give up a long return and quick points and then another int. And more points. We get the o going again. We actually take the lead. Quarterback goes down and a backup comes we force what looks like a third and long and we get a dumb. They score after quarterback breaks off long run. We have a long return and are moving the ball and fumble ball is in wrong arm and not really hit. It is so frustrating. But people act like this is something that just started happening to IU. I have neve never seen a program that finds more ways to lose forever. The coaches change the players change but the results seem to stay the same. I too am frustrated. However I would love to see what would happen now that it looks like we may have started to fix our o line. They were better in a week. Not great by any stretch but a long way from where they were. I would love to see the same two coordinators next year. And see what actually happens. We can not continue to change coaches all the time. I don’t know if CTA is right guy. But I also don’t know if he is the wrong one. I think there has been many signs that he can be the guy.
It’s not going to get better. Allen will wreck this program if he is allowed to remain head coach beyond this season.

I agree with you... I think he can right this ship but he's going to have to face facts and make more tough decisions over the next two weeks...

It’s not going to get better. Allen will wreck this program if he is allowed to remain head coach beyond this season.
Let me tell you what this program is better now than when Allen took over. We are in more games than before he got here. We are getting better players. We have players that believe in the coaches and continue to fight. Yes we still find stupid ways to lose. But as I have said in the past. There are four phases program goes through. First one is you lose big check we have done for a long long time. Next is you lose close. Then you win close. I think we are close to getting to that phase. We just need a little continuity.in coaches. The final stage is win big. I hope to see that sometime in my life but doubt it. You act like he walked in to program that was competing for conference championships. Not the first school to reach 700 losses.Yes I want to win as much as anyone. But I also understand that it is not going to happen overnight. Six years is not a long time to turn this around. I know that most get no more than 4 or 5 but this is not most programs.

You coached once, correct?
You are knowledgeable about the position and so you can bring a fairly experienced view on Allen.
What are his big flaws? What is it that makes you think he could be “the guy?”

Reactions: Sophie1970
You coached once, correct?
You are knowledgeable about the position and so you can bring a fairly experienced view on Allen.
What are his big flaws? What is it that makes you think he could be “the guy?”
I think his biggest mistake was sticking with Hiller too long. I think it was a good move to have hired Carey and have him available. I probably would have let him go after the Nebraska game. Although I had noticed many of the same mistakes happening over and over again, the Nebraska game was the first time I really realized the lack of effort. You put lack of effort together with repetitive mistakes then you have to make a change.
Defensively we have not played great but our defense seems to make big plays time and time again even though we are playing without are best player our best best blitzed our team leader. We don’t have a true pass rusher our best might be a true freshman but we still seem to come up with big stops and take away day key times that give us a chance. We played the number 4 ranked team tough going into the fourth quarter coming off what was a huge disappointment the week before.
We have been to 2 Florida bowls under Allen. We lost 2 coordinators to head coaching jobs we took a swing and a miss on two coordinators, One we thought might help with recruiting SEC country and he had a bad year but left for what arguably is a better program UNC. The other was recommended by a guy you respected and he was there for two years and struggled but the o line was regressing for that time. Even when he was fired he was snatched up immediately..
what does he need to do differently is first hope is staff stays put. I see some good things in Bell. He is working with an entirely new grip of skill guys. Now an offensive line that might be getting better. He needs to make some of these guys that were highly regarded stick around get on the field and make plays.
what will be the determination for me is how we finish this season and how we start next season if we continue to play hard and a few games and if we show real signs of improvement next year. Then we continue. If we don’t get better this year and next then there is a problem.

Reactions: hoosier roadtrips
The lack of adjustments on defense once Taulia got hurt was mind blowing. Here were Maryland's possessions once Edwards came in:

Run, incomplete pass, incomplete pass, punt.

Run, incomplete pass, incomplete pass (personal foul), run, run, run, run, run (TD).

Run, run, run, run, run, run, run (TD).

Here is the defensive call with Maryland's backup QB who was 0/4 and the previous 4 players were runs:
defense.png

Double coverage on both wide receivers. Maryland's RB takes it off tackle to the right side and scores in front of #1, who was told to play pass coverage on the outside WR.

We then cross midfield, fumble (unfortunate), but then hold Maryland to a 3rd and 9. Hope isn't all lost. Maryland clearly can't pass - they've tried 4 times and haven't got a completing with their backup QB. Their last 7 play calls have been runs. So stack the box, stop the run, and make the backup beat you with his arm.

Maryland comes out 4 wide, but the TE is lined up as the outside receiver, then motioned to the other side. Obvious rushing play. But how are we lined up to stop it?

defense2.png

The player circled is Bryant Fitzgerald. He's lined up under center, and he's about to be pancaked by the center who is salivating at the chance to block someone 90 pounds lighter than him on a rushing play.

Matthews is lined up 15 yards off the line of scrimmage, and then steps back 5 yards after the ball is snapped as he is tasked to play deep coverage against a defense that cannot pass the football.

The guy who is supposed to be there for run support is #19 Josh Sanguinetti, who ends up to the left of the LT on a late blitz, and all it takes for Maryland's RB to run 46 yards is a little patience for their 305 pound RT to push 225 pound Dasan McCullough in any direction.

The alignment made no sense, and absolutely contributed to the result, although the RB broke it because the RG got away with a blatant hold on Myles Jackson.

The lack of adjustments on defense once Taulia got hurt was mind blowing. Here were Maryland's possessions once Edwards came in:

Run, incomplete pass, incomplete pass (personal foul), run, run, run, run, run (TD).

Here is the defensive call with Maryland's backup QB who was 0/4 and the previous 4 players were runs:
defense.png

Double coverage on both wide receivers. Maryland's RB takes it off tackle to the right side and scores in front of #1, who was told to play pass coverage on the outside WR.

We then cross midfield, fumble (unfortunate), but then hold Maryland to a 3rd and 9. Hope isn't all lost. Maryland clearly can't pass - they've tried 4 times and haven't got a completing with their backup QB. Their last 7 play calls have been runs. So stack the box, stop the run, and make the backup beat you with his arm.

Maryland comes out 4 wide, but the TE is lined up as the outside receiver, then motioned to the other side. Obvious rushing play. But how are we lined up to stop it?

defense2.png

The player circled is Bryant Fitzgerald. He's lined up under center, and he's about to be pancaked by the center who is salivating at the chance to block someone 90 pounds lighter than him on a rushing play.

Matthews is lined up 15 yards off the line of scrimmage, and then steps back 5 yards after the ball is snapped as he is tasked to play deep coverage against a defense that cannot pass the football.

The guy who is supposed to be there for run support is #19 Josh Sanguinetti, who ends up to the left of the LT on a late blitz, and all it takes for Maryland's RB to run 46 yards is a little patience for their 305 pound RT to push 225 pound Dasan McCullough in any direction.

The alignment made no sense, and absolutely contributed to the result, although the RB broke it because the RG got away with a blatant hold on Myles Jackson.
So you know we have them out numbered in the box in the top play the two guys you have circled are apexed they are secondary guys whose primary role is pass defense. They are both looking like they are walking off receivers to take away in cuts.

Somebody needs to contact that recent recruit who said he’s with us until “the wheels fall off.”
The wheels have fallen off.
Actively encouraging currently committed recruits to decommit would get you long term bans on most sites...

Whether you've seemingly stopped taking your manic-depressive medication or not, there's simply no excuse for that sort of s..t...

You're extremely lucky our solo mod is an extraordinarily reasonable guy... If it were me making the decision you'd be gone thru Christmas..., at minimum...

Actively encouraging currently committed recruits to decommit would get you long term bans on most sites...

Whether you've seemingly stopped taking your manic-depressive medication or not, there's simply no excuse for that sort of s..t...

You're extremely lucky our solo mod is an extraordinarily reasonable guy... If it were me making the decision you'd be gone thru Christmas..., at minimum...
It was sarcasm. I’m not actively promoting that somebody actually contact the kid. He used the phrase in a quote. I’m merely pointing out that this is what a program looks like when the wheels fall off.
We have a guaranteed 2 more seasons of the clown show here, so sit back and just ride it out. The only hope would be Allen being so miserable in the role that he resigns with some kind of settlement. But then, IU would do the IU thing down there in Mayberry and probably promote a GA into a head coach role.

Reactions: IUgradman
Here’s my prediction as we move forward:

we win maybe 1 more game this season and finish, again, without going to a bowl game. 2023 recruiting class is underwhelming as high school prospects are not as enamored as maybe they have been about the LEO culture. Next season goes very similar to this one, there are some improvements in a few areas, but by and large we are not a B1G level program top to bottom in terms of roster talent and depth. Fan infighting continues as many want Allen replaced, others argue we can’t afford it and couldn’t find someone better anyway. The path that led us to 700 program losses continues.

Note that I hope I am wrong.

Here’s my prediction as we move forward:

we win maybe 1 more game this season and finish, again, without going to a bowl game. 2023 recruiting class is underwhelming as high school prospects are not as enamored as maybe they have been about the LEO culture. Next season goes very similar to this one, there are some improvements in a few areas, but by and large we are not a B1G level program top to bottom in terms of roster talent and depth. Fan infighting continues as many want Allen replaced, others argue we can’t afford it and couldn’t find someone better anyway. The path that led us to 700 program losses continues.

Note that I hope I am wrong.
If we made a move after next year and still had to pay a what? $23 million buyout? That move would have to be preceded by Dolson getting fired and replaced as AD for me to be anything close to on board.

defense.png

defense2.png

Nice breakdown.

Those defensive series were just unbelievably mind boggling.

Let me tell you what this program is better now than when Allen took over. We are in more games than before he got here. We are getting better players.
First point is untrue. In 2016 we only had 1 big point loss and that was Ohio State. We were a solid football team. 4-5 in conference. (4 of the conference losses were to top 10 teams) We fired Wilson at the point he built the program up. Complete insanity from the admin.

Our recruiting numbers are better, sure, but guys aren’t developing. Sure there are a few, but a guy like Mullen should be an All American. He’s not gotten better in 3 years. Our QB’s haven’t developed. Our RB’s are a shadow of what they were. The OLine is a disaster. Has Allen ever developed a great pass rusher? Overall, development of these guys is subpar.

Let me tell you what this program is better now than when Allen took over. We are in more games than before he got here. We are getting better players. We have players that believe in the coaches and continue to fight. Yes we still find stupid ways to lose. But as I have said in the past. There are four phases program goes through. First one is you lose big check we have done for a long long time. Next is you lose close. Then you win close. I think we are close to getting to that phase. We just need a little continuity.in coaches. The final stage is win big. I hope to see that sometime in my life but doubt it. You act like he walked in to program that was competing for conference championships. Not the first school to reach 700 losses.Yes I want to win as much as anyone. But I also understand that it is not going to happen overnight. Six years is not a long time to turn this around. I know that most get no more than 4 or 5 but this is not most programs.
Six years is more more than enough time to turn around a program.

Reactions: wibler
Yes most programs but this is not most programs.
I would agree if we were more consistent over the years. But the issue is the regression.

CTA must prove 2021 was the aberration by showing enough progress to get to a bowl. And quite frankly, the path was there. If we beat the teams we should beat in Nebraska and MD, we would be at 5-2. We should be in a position to play for a bowl against Rutgers and Purdue in 6 years.

We don't need to be ranked. We just need to win a mediocre 6 games. Especially since he inherited a program that had won 6 the prior 2 years.

For some reason yesterday's game reminded me of the NC State at home in 2000 when a late penalty cost us the game that we thought was a win. This time the actions by Matthews kept alive the Maryland drive when we thought we had them stopped.
There are so many ways we have blown games over the year that it seems hard to believe. We can never breathe easily until after the game officially ends.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT