ADVERTISEMENT

Could this current IU team beat Kansas or Arizona?

achoosier

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Dec 29, 2006
Chicago
That’s where my head is at. That’s the real test to come. Hanging with those blueblood types at the dance.

We can (disgustingly) lower our program’s bar and cheer on “above .500 in the B10!” and “a decent seed!” But 20+ years on the program is still where it has been since RMK got bounced. Stuck in the mud of past glory.

We all seem riled up about the Big Ten tourney, but it’s the next dance that is truly “BIG” for a reason. That’s where you get paid at IU, IMO. Woody likely won’t get five years if he can’t dance past the S16. And I’m perfectly okay with that. Standards are a nice thing to uphold. Even if your arms get tired.

Welp, here is very clearly Woody’s best shot in what looks like it’s gonna be quite some time… with an all-timer in TJD. NBA-bound frosh. Kids who can hit the 3.

So is IU a FF-level squad? Can we finally beat the Syracuse and Kentucky and Carolinas (the kind that whooped us in the tourney not long ago) and… Saint Mary’s… of the world? UConn? Alabama? Gonzaga? Because that’s what’s coming soon. And if past is prologue… hard to be super hopeful. Those marquee national match-ups are where IU always, always, always looks shallow and undersized in the paint, and not wildly athletic in the other spots.

Arizona and Kansas gave us an early taste of what may be to come. Flailing. Has-been. Deja vu.

ALTHOUGH… on the flip… two huge Ws over Lurch at PU… and the emergence of JHS… plus a rock-steady (albeit rarely seen) outside game…

I’ve always felt you needed at least two studs to make big tourney runs. At last, it appears IU has two (not since Zeller/Oladipo have we seen that). IF the supporting cast can dial-up some surprise performances… might have something. For real.

I’d LOVE to see TJD head to the E8…. hopes high for the Hoosiers this year. Not like Old Faithful high (like in 2013) but pretty darn high!

You?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News