ADVERTISEMENT

Coronavirus

CO has been doing this for a couple of years now. Your only problem is you took too long to realize.
He's always been this way. Before Trump he couched many of his arguments in terms of conservative/Burkean principles, but he's always only been a partisan hack whose real goal has been to aggrandize himself.

With Trump he's showing his arse for all to see . . . .

The best approach to understanding CO - and Trump - is to take whatever he's accusing somebody else of and figure that the criticism of others is more applicable to him . . . because it's always about him. Think in terms of CO's constant and incomprehensible harangue about Obama being the narcissist-in-chief . . . yep, that was really about CO drawing attention to himself . . . .

I had no trouble seeing and hearing a clear and concise message from all involved about what to do. But then I’m not burdened with stage 4 TDS which adversely affects your ability to hear, process, and retain information.

Seriously, comments about campaign rallies, statements about containment, and hoax hoaxes don’t mean squat. Unless of course you think squat is important.

If you are referring to Trump and Thing 2 when you refer to consistent and concise messaging you have been eating too many bats. I try to be the reasonable one here and this is not rational let alone reasonable. Good info is out there you just need to have the "politicized" filter up and listen to smart people.

If you are referring to Trump and Thing 2 when you refer to consistent and concise messaging you have been eating too many bats. I try to be the reasonable one here and this is not rational let alone reasonable. Good info is out there you just need to have the "politicized" filter up and listen to smart people.

Not us... please
I6HWBILNWUHH7GSHRJFFWNWVVA.jpg

Wow. They are going the Full China on your ass. You only have a few more than we have here.
Have the tracked, mapped and isolated the primary and secondary contacts there? I think its good. I got a friend who is a doctor who believes in their approach for healthcare --- whack it fast and whack it hard before it gets really bad for her patients.

I think its good.

Meanwhile back in my ranch:

Singapore residents advised to defer all non-essential travel for next 30 days, as part of new Covid-19 measures
Singapore residents should defer all non-essential travel, and border restrictions have been tightened to include all Asean states, as the Republic moves to reduce the growing risk of Covid-19 importation.

The 30-day travel advisory for Singapore residents is subject to further review, the Government said.

From 11.59pm on Monday (March 16), all travellers - including Singapore citizens, permanent residents, long-term pass holders and short-term visitors - entering Singapore with recent travel history to Asean countries, Japan, Switzerland, or the United Kingdom within the last 14 days will be issued a 14-day stay-home notice (SHN).

This will exclude travellers from Malaysia who arrive by land and sea, given the large numbers who cross the borders daily, said National Development Minister Lawrence Wong at a press conference on Sunday.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
They seem to be escalating things incrementally here.
They have been actively tracking all infections as well as they can. There is not extensive testing happening like some places. I think the general belief is that there are a lot of unidentified cases out there and they want to stop more spread. This will allow them to adequately deal with the cases we have and not allow it to get to the tipping point.

Here’s the Governor of Oklahoma peacocking his negligence and ignorance. The GOP is now about showing smart people how dumb you are. Like it is somehow a dig at the smart person. Of course he attempted to delete the Tweet.

They have been actively tracking all infections as well as they can. There is not extensive testing happening like some places. I think the general belief is that there are a lot of unidentified cases out there and they want to stop more spread. This will allow them to adequately deal with the cases we have and not allow it to get to the tipping point.

This is how we track it here:

https://infographics.channelnewsasi...??cid=h3_referral_inarticlelinks_24082018_cna

Then each secondary contacts are then home isolated for a fortnight -- with the setup ready from UberEats to care packages (masks, sanitisers, food etc for two weeks). Then there is a team that checks on them randomly to ensure there are home.

Reactions: tooold4
I am just going to have to pit you on ignore, when you jumped with both feet into being a populist instead of a conservative you lost your ability to reason. You refuse to accept that a president saying stupid things is a problem. You said the message is consistent. Trump's message WAS NOT consistent. It was pointed out to you
You then say anyone who finds his words and actions a problem has TDS. ARE THEY CONSISTENT OR NOT IS THE QUESTION.

saying it was contained was not consistent. Saying anyone who wants a test can get a test was not consistent.

Is it possible you do not know the word consistent? Or is it the word message?

I am sorry you threw Edmund Burke into the trash and became Green Teeth from Uneasy Rider. I hope you enjoy your John Birch society meetings and love your 10 "US out of UN" yard signs. Because anyone who says speeches and actions that are totally opposite of what the commission is saying is consistent messaging is brainwashed.

I won't see a reply, life is too short to deal with brainwashed people. I have given Trump a couple compliments lately, on his Friday speech and on Afghanistan. I noticed you are so brainwashed you cannot even criticize the train wreck from Wednesday night.

As you are thinking up your response. "I said, good day".

You are distracted. The consistent message from Trump, Pence, Fauci, Birks, Azar and others is the protective measures and the behaviors we all should adopt in the face of COVID-19. Those have never changed and they are mentioned with almost every public statement. If you wish to be distracted by old news about campaign rallies or whether containment was the objective or ever happened, that's on you. All that stuff is irrelevant to what we all have been told to do.

I wouldn't call Wednesday night a train wreck, but I certainly see how those so predisposed would. True, Trump was subdued and dower. He read from a less than well written script. He didn't read it well. He clearly said American Citizens were an exception to the travel ban, yet others either ignored that exception or simply didn't hear it because of TDS. I don't know if the word "only" was in the transcript or not as he spoke about trade. That was in the part of the speech about exceptions to the travel ban. I think he was saying that trade was also an exception. I agree, the word "only" was a flub that needed to be cleared up.

It's absolutely laughable that many Democrats and others are making a big deal out of a his label of this as a "foreign" virus. It IS a foreign virus. It originated in China and is now centered in Europe because the virus migrated through human travel. You do know how the virus travels, right? The vector is all incoming to the US not out going. Realizing that this virus comes for overseas and is foreign is necessary to understand the reason for travel bans.

Finally, Trump once again Wednesday night emphasized the role each of us, individually, play in fighting the virus. That wasn't a train wreck message either.

We bought a cruise 2 years ago and of course it was cancelled. We decided to drive down anyway and go fishing. People literally holding their breath if passing too close to each other. Profiling seems back in style. We stayed in Hollywood today. Ft Lauderdale is madness. Shoulder-to-shoulder crowds (we observed thru the windshield of our air-conditioned automobile. I was actually surprised to see so many elderly out among the m asses, although one couldn't swing a dead cat around in Florida without hitting and elder.

Entry doors, gas pumps, shopping points-of-sale, baskarts, community pens... It's a wonder we're not all dead already.
Did you see the picture in the Lauderdale airport? Pure madness. From the cruises that came in and the cruises that had just cancelled. Had a couple friends on cancelled cruises going out yesterday. I’m in panhandle. Just looked for the closest warm temps and sunshine.

Did you see the picture in the Lauderdale airport? Pure madness. From the cruises that came in and the cruises that had just cancelled. Had a couple friends on cancelled cruises going out yesterday. I’m in panhandle. Just looked for the closest warm temps and sunshine.

Have you seen the pictures from customs in Ohare and DFW? Trump slapped on the travel ban and Americans are all coming back to the country. Unfortunately the administration doesn’t have enough tests and doesn’t have an actual process for intake of these folks. The result is thousands of people in close proximity to each other for several hours. We will have major clusters traceable back to these customs locations.

I don't understand this at all. I'm talking about the direction given to each of us about our behavior, that has always been clear, consistent and concise. If you want to talk about how Trump has talked about his campaign rallies, or whether this is a "foreign" virus, or what he said before the WHO said this was a pandemic, that's fine. You can talk about that. But ain't listening to or reading that stuff. That isn't relevant to anything.

He's always been this way. Before Trump he couched many of his arguments in terms of conservative/Burkean principles, but he's always only been a partisan hack whose real goal has been to aggrandize himself.

The best approach to understanding CO - and Trump - is to take whatever he's accusing somebody else of and figure that the criticism of others is more applicable to him . . . because it's always about him. Think in terms of CO's constant and incomprehensible harangue about Obama being the narcissist-in-chief . . . yep, that was really about CO drawing attention to himself . . . .

Says the guy who said I have a small dick. Were you talking about yourself?

For those that want it, below is a story on Trump's most egregious errors on COVID-19. Among them is saying that the mortality rate is way overblown and that the flu is many times worse. Choose for yourself if that is sending the wrong message, but since we do not quarantine for the flu I certainly believe it is the wrong message.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.vo.../21176535/trumps-worst-statements-coronavirus

Reactions: MaxCoke
I tried to defend him against you and Rock saying what you both did.. I thought he was a principled conservative, I may disagree with them but I respect them. Aloha would be an example. COs principle is now clear as party uber alles. I don't respect that, not at all. He knows if Trump goes down the whole party goes down because no one can separate the two now. So he is flat out lying. I cannot blindly see it as principled conservative given the way ones like Will, Krystol, Boot, and Aloha, have dumped Trump.

I learned too slow. That is on me.

C'mpn Marv, If you want to address me don't post as if I am not in the room.

First, I have dumped on Trump. For example, I don't like for one second his criticism of the Judiciary--even if some of it is justified. I have also never defended his behavior. I have defended many of his policies, which any principled conservative should also agree with.

I don't believe if Trump goes down the whole party goes down. The party has been around for decades, will be around for decades. Trump is only on the scene for a brief time. I have made this point often.

I have posted about Boot often--he has no principles. Will does, but he prioritizes different things than I do with this politics; that's okay, isn't it? Don't know much about Krystol other than he doesn't like Trump. I think Aloha and I are pretty much on the same page; except his threshold for dumping Trump is different from mine. I've posted here frequently about Democrats I would have voted for over Trump, both in 2016 and in the current cycle. The Democrats didn't give the country a chance to consider a viable alternative.

"So he is flat out lying". Really? A difference opinion isn't a lie.

I confess to not having your power of nuance. Can you look through this timeline of Trump’s messaging on Covid 19 and explain the consistency you claim?

Cherry picked data to make a point is advocacy, not objectivity. None of the messaging about our behavior that has always been clear and consistant is on your list.

It’s a shame because he’s obviously a smart fellow and there could be a mutual exchange of info and ideas. However, he’s even admitted overtly that he’ll never learn from anybody not will he admit to ever having the wrong stance on a topic.

You are distracted. The consistent message from Trump, Pence, Fauci, Birks, Azar and others is the protective measures and the behaviors we all should adopt in the face of COVID-19. Those have never changed and they are mentioned with almost every public statement. If you wish to be distracted by old news about campaign rallies or whether containment was the objective or ever happened, that's on you. All that stuff is irrelevant to what we all have been told to do.

I wouldn't call Wednesday night a train wreck, but I certainly see how those so predisposed would. True, Trump was subdued and dower. He read from a less than well written script. He didn't read it well. He clearly said American Citizens were an exception to the travel ban, yet others either ignored that exception or simply didn't hear it because of TDS. I don't know if the word "only" was in the transcript or not as he spoke about trade. That was in the part of the speech about exceptions to the travel ban. I think he was saying that trade was also an exception. I agree, the word "only" was a flub that needed to be cleared up.

It's absolutely laughable that many Democrats and others are making a big deal out of a his label of this as a "foreign" virus. It IS a foreign virus. It originated in China and is now centered in Europe because the virus migrated through human travel. You do know how the virus travels, right? The vector is all incoming to the US not out going. Realizing that this virus comes for overseas and is foreign is necessary to understand the reason for travel bans.

Finally, Trump once again Wednesday night emphasized the role each of us, individually, play in fighting the virus. That wasn't a train wreck message either.
Bullshit.

Reactions: DCDAVID
Most of us are smart enough to know words are part of a consistent message.

Separating and parsing a message was drummed into me by experts more than 50 years ago. If you want to criticize Trump for lack of a tightly crafted message, be my guest. I substantially agree. We all have filters and pre-conceptions as we hear and read stuff. Confirmation bias is the most powerful bias and the one that never gets set aside. But I must say, based upon your comments about Trump's messages about campaign rallies and contain vs control, you are yielding to your confirmation bias more than most. As I listen to what's being said, I look for stuff upon which I can base my decisions. Old news about campaign rallies was totally irrelevant when said, and ir is absolutely irrelevant now. I have no idea why you would even mention that, unless confirmation bias.

Last edited:
You said our behavior in the context of Trump’s messaging. So now you’re all in the same club?

I still don't understand. The messaging about what we should be doing as individuals has been clear and consistent. Even in the Wednesday night train wreck it was clear--at least to me. The confusion had to do with trade goods from Europe, and I think Trump mistakenly inserted the word "only" where he shouldn't have. Oh and "foreign" virus. sheesh.

Thinking about it, it is great we have this contained and any day now it will poof, go away. It isn't as bad as the flu, and it is all a media hoax.

Since I am ignoring 2 people, I have to guess what the non-sequitor replies mean. But we know this virus will go away when it is warm. And we all know that is 100% in line with Dr Fauci.

Obviously CO is playing each and every one of us for idiots. If he isn't showing us any respect at all, I am just going to ignore him from here on out. I am far from the smartest person here, hell CO is probably smarter than me. But I am not an abject moron like he assumes will fall for his big lies. In other words, I have a good 50 IQ points on president Turnip. Apologies to turnips who have 10 IQ points on the real resident and double his natural curiosity.

I know marv won't read this. I'll put it out anyway.

I don't agree with your comment about smarts. I've always seen you as an enjoyable poster and one who is fun to disagree with. I'm really sorry you have entered the happysopegoat arena. Disagreement is an art. Most lawyers know this; but the two I mentioned don't. One more reason why the fun is gone.

Reactions: Hoosier_Hack
I know marv won't read this. I'll put it out anyway.

I don't agree with your comment about smarts. I've always seen you as an enjoyable poster and one who is fun to disagree with. I'm really sorry you have entered the happysopegoat arena. Disagreement is an art. Most lawyers know this; but the two I mentioned don't. One more reason why the fun is gone.
My recommendation would be to do some serious self-introspection. You love to throw out terms like confirmation bias, but you direct those terms exclusively at others and can’t even fathom that you do the same.

Of course confirmation bias exists. Of course Trump Derangement Syndrome exists. To you, though, there are no shades of gray or your famed nuance.

The smartest Trump supporters I know think Trump has bungled his plans and messaging from Day 1 of this virus. Actions were not taken quickly enough to seal borders and his messaging overtly blamed the media for hysteria. You are wrong. You’re dead wrong. And you will never admit it. That’s why smart people are putting you on ignore. You’re dangerously close to an echo chamber audience.

I am just going to have to pit you on ignore, when you jumped with both feet into being a populist instead of a conservative you lost your ability to reason. You refuse to accept that a president saying stupid things is a problem. You said the message is consistent. Trump's message WAS NOT consistent. It was pointed out to you
You then say anyone who finds his words and actions a problem has TDS. ARE THEY CONSISTENT OR NOT IS THE QUESTION.

saying it was contained was not consistent. Saying anyone who wants a test can get a test was not consistent.

Is it possible you do not know the word consistent? Or is it the word message?

I am sorry you threw Edmund Burke into the trash and became Green Teeth from Uneasy Rider. I hope you enjoy your John Birch society meetings and love your 10 "US out of UN" yard signs. Because anyone who says speeches and actions that are totally opposite of what the commission is saying is consistent messaging is brainwashed.

I won't see a reply, life is too short to deal with brainwashed people. I have given Trump a couple compliments lately, on his Friday speech and on Afghanistan. I noticed you are so brainwashed you cannot even criticize the train wreck from Wednesday night.

As you are thinking up your response. "I said, good day".

CoH’s sophistry is obvious here. He lies to himself that he’s being honest by saying the Admin’s been consistent with the message while carefully avoiding saying that Trump’s been consistent.

CoH will never engage honestly.
CO has been doing this for a couple of years now. Your only problem is you took too long to realize.

A bit of philosophy here.

Engaging in disagreements is an art. Exploring disagreements for me is fun. It's a learning experience. It's a mind exercise. The fun of disagreement will never include ad hominems or trash talking. The fun of disagreement is not about convincing the other person they are wrong. Like a strenuous game of one on one b-ball, the fun of disagreement is bumping and shoving and walking away friends. One can't practice law for decades with good lawyers and hold a firm together without knowing how to disagree. I've gotten so mad at one of my best friends in the whole world that I threw a law book at a wall breaking the drywall. We remain very good friends.

While I haven't always succeeded, I tried to bring that experience here. That doesn't work out to well. Some posters quickly show their ass by immediately going off topic and making things personal. Others take time. I don't know why disagreements have gotten to be so personal but they have. Not only here, but in society, friendships, partnerships, and even domestic relationships have broken up because of Trump. I frankly don't get it. I don't think I ever will.

I don't know why disagreements have gotten to be so personal but they have. Not only here, but in society, friendships, partnerships, and even domestic relationships have broken up because of Trump. I frankly don't get it. I don't think I ever will.
He is a cancer on our polity.

My recommendation would be to do some serious self-introspection. You love to throw out terms like confirmation bias, but you direct those terms exclusively at others and can’t even fathom that you do the same.
When one person says you're an idiot, they're probably out of line. When everyone says you're an idiot, it might be time to look at ones self.

When one person says you're an idiot, they're probably out of line. When everyone says you're an idiot, it might be time to look at ones self.
Everyone? Speaking from a vacuum again? Those infected with TDS say it.... It was disappointing to see Marvin cross over. I didn’t expect that but that seems to be the process. Usually the level headed guys stay midstream but recently many have crossed over and will not return. It just takes some longer to believe it. Check another box ....

Everyone? Speaking from a vacuum again? Those infected with TDS say it.... It was disappointing to see Marvin cross over. I didn’t expect that but that seems to be the process. Usually the level headed guys stay midstream but recently many have crossed over and will not return. It just takes some longer to believe it. Check another box ....
Right. It’s them, not you.

you direct those terms exclusively at others and can’t even fathom that you do the same.

I've admitted to that often. Not as often as it exists, because it exists in all of us all the time.
To you, though, there are no shades of gray or your famed nuance.

I'd love to discuss shades of gray. But that seldom happens because when it comes to Trump, for many there are no shades of gray. This whole discussion about his messaging is a perfect example.
The smartest Trump supporters I know think Trump has bungled his plans and messaging from Day 1 of this virus.

The virus first became known in December of 2019 in Wuhan China. China give out conflicting and misinformation about it. Trump ordered the Chinese travel ban in late January. I don't disagree about Trump's speeches and comments. Those have never been tightly scripted. But when you separate the wheat from the chaff, (nuance) the basic thrust of the message has been quite clear.

Reasonable minds can differ about the speed of the response. Other minds can interpret the message in different ways.

Thanks for your suggestion about "self introspection". That comes with the territory when people post about the merits of what I say instead of crap like "self aware" and "sophistry".

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT