ADVERTISEMENT

College Football vs. NFL

Rotonda Jim

Benchwarmer
Sep 3, 2003
Well, as a fan of the Indiana Hoosiers sports teams, my college football season began and pretty much ended yesterday afternoon with a loss to Ohio State. We have lost to them 28 straight times and that is the longest such streak in the country. I think we have only two victories in the last 65 years. Since we had taken a weekend trip to Marco Island, we were gone, so I taped the game in hopes of seeing a monumental upset and I made sure I did not know anything about the game before I watched it. So, I only wasted two hours watching the replay as I fast forwarded the numerous CBS commercials. The bottom line is that college football's national champion will come from a list of five to ten schools. Everyone knows who they are and no, IU is not one of them. College football is getting ridiculous and is not fixable. Yes, if you root for Ohio State, Michigan, Georgia, Alabama, Notre Dame, Penn State and a few others, you know that your team will reward you well every year and thus you can rationalize all of the money you spend to support your team. But if you support 95% of the other schools, you have no chance to win anything and have to be satisfied with just supporting your favorite team. Well, I did that for almost sixty years. Enough is enough. My wife and I went to the last two IU/OSU games and didn't last past the first quarter as the rout was on and the weather turned bad. Yes, we spent a lot of money for the trips to Bloomington and Columbus. Never again. The NFL is so much more competitive and more fun. Can anyone tell me who will win the Super Bowl this year or even be in in? Every city has hope every year. I think Cleveland has a great chance this year but everyone does have a chance. They really do. To make college football more competitive, what if they ran it like the NFL? Indiana would get to draft the best college players. Ohio State would get a harder schedule next year if they were the national champions and Indiana would get an easier one if they had a bad year.Salaries or NIL payments would be the same at each school making it possible for the IU quartetback to drive a brand new Mercedes Benz like the OSU QB does. Simply put, I will keep watching on TV but if anyone really thinks that some team like IU has a real chance against the Big Boys, you are mistaken. Yes, for the fans of the big boys, college football is great fun, but for the rest of us, well, enough is enough and no a big win over Indiana State will not help at all.

Comment

Well, as a fan of the Indiana Hoosiers sports teams, my college football season began and pretty much ended yesterday afternoon with a loss to Ohio State. We have lost to them 28 straight times and that is the longest such streak in the country. I think we have only two victories in the last 65 years. Since we had taken a weekend trip to Marco Island, we were gone, so I taped the game in hopes of seeing a monumental upset and I made sure I did not know anything about the game before I watched it. So, I only wasted two hours watching the replay as I fast forwarded the numerous CBS commercials. The bottom line is that college football's national champion will come from a list of five to ten schools. Everyone knows who they are and no, IU is not one of them. College football is getting ridiculous and is not fixable. Yes, if you root for Ohio State, Michigan, Georgia, Alabama, Notre Dame, Penn State and a few others, you know that your team will reward you well every year and thus you can rationalize all of the money you spend to support your team. But if you support 95% of the other schools, you have no chance to win anything and have to be satisfied with just supporting your favorite team. Well, I did that for almost sixty years. Enough is enough. My wife and I went to the last two IU/OSU games and didn't last past the first quarter as the rout was on and the weather turned bad. Yes, we spent a lot of money for the trips to Bloomington and Columbus. Never again. The NFL is so much more competitive and more fun. Can anyone tell me who will win the Super Bowl this year or even be in in? Every city has hope every year. I think Cleveland has a great chance this year but everyone does have a chance. They really do. To make college football more competitive, what if they ran it like the NFL? Indiana would get to draft the best college players. Ohio State would get a harder schedule next year if they were the national champions and Indiana would get an easier one if they had a bad year.Salaries or NIL payments would be the same at each school making it possible for the IU quartetback to drive a brand new Mercedes Benz like the OSU QB does. Simply put, I will keep watching on TV but if anyone really thinks that some team like IU has a real chance against the Big Boys, you are mistaken. Yes, for the fans of the big boys, college football is great fun, but for the rest of us, well, enough is enough and no a big win over Indiana State will not help at all.

Comment

I usually like your posts, and much of what you note here is accurate, but are you sure it was the Ohio State/Indiana game that you DVR'd and later watched? After witnessing, in person, the last two OSU/IU games, which were 56-14 and 54-7 embarrassments, you found nothing encouraging about yesterday's game? "Enough is enough" when we hung with them for almost three quarters?

You're right, the game has changed, the rich get richer, and the playing field is becoming more uneven. But yesterday's game was hardly "Exhibit A" for that.

I usually like your posts, and much of what you note here is accurate, but are you sure it was the Ohio State/Indiana game that you DVR'd and later watched? After witnessing, in person, the last two OSU/IU games, which were 56-14 and 54-7 embarrassments, you found nothing encouraging about yesterday's game? "Enough is enough" when we hung with them for almost three quarters?

You're right, the game has changed, the rich get richer, and the playing field is becoming more uneven. But yesterday's game was hardly "Exhibit A" for that.

+1

In his defense, at a certain point you want the moral victories to end and the real victories to actually begin. It took him quite a bit longer to get there, but I am not on the moral victory train anymore. Show me wins. I am in my mid 40's, the last time we beat Ohio State I was in elementary school....early elementary school. We have had all sorts of "moral" victories against them and when you look back, all of those moral victories were just missed opportunities where we weren't good enough to take advantage of the opportunity in front of us. Meanwhile our also not very good rival to the north has managed to take advantage several times over the past two decades.

This is Allen's 7th year. I don't want to hear about moral victories anymore. Moral victories are losses. Yesterday was a lost opportunity. I think Ohio State was lucky they got Indiana to start their season because there are a whole bunch of programs that would not be talking moral victory against them today. Quite a few teams around the country would have hung an L on them.

In his defense, at a certain point you want the moral victories to end and the real victories to actually begin. It took him quite a bit longer to get there, but I am not on the moral victory train anymore. Show me wins. I am in my mid 40's, the last time we beat Ohio State I was in elementary school....early elementary school. We have had all sorts of "moral" victories against them and when you look back, all of those moral victories were just missed opportunities where we weren't good enough to take advantage of the opportunity in front of us. Meanwhile our also not very good rival to the north has managed to take advantage several times over the past two decades.

This is Allen's 7th year. I don't want to hear about moral victories anymore. Moral victories are losses. Yesterday was a lost opportunity. I think Ohio State was lucky they got Indiana to start their season because there are a whole bunch of programs that would not be talking moral victory against them today. Quite a few teams around the country would have hung an L on them.
You are right about the close games in the past, IU was good enough to win but couldn't finish with a play what would won the game because IU players weren't good enough.

No. Don't put words in my mouth. I never mentioned "moral victories." I dislike that expression and concept, and that's not what I'm talking about. My point was that anyone who wants to throw in the towel on a season and a team after losing 23-3 to what might be the best team in the country is not thinking clearly.

Yesterday was not a "lost opportunity." Anyone who knows anything about college football knows we had no chance to beat Ohio State. They have NFL talent and we're breaking in new QBs. We played tough, though, and we showed significant improvement in key areas. I think that bodes well for the season.

Reactions: vesuvius13

If you have not been dealing with this for almost 60 years, I might agree with you but I have had enough.Less you forget, OSU tried 2 new QB's and had lots of new guys on defense and yes our defense was improved. But the offense was pitiful. 150 yards in a game is what good teams have in a quarter and our star scatback is already hurt. Why should I have any hope?

No. Don't put words in my mouth. I never mentioned "moral victories." I dislike that expression and concept, and that's not what I'm talking about. My point was that anyone who wants to throw in the towel on a season and a team after losing 23-3 to what might be the best team in the country is not thinking clearly.

Yesterday was not a "lost opportunity." Anyone who knows anything about college football knows we had no chance to beat Ohio State. They have NFL talent and we're breaking in new QBs. We played tough, though, and we showed significant improvement in key areas. I think that bodes well for the season.
It was a lost opportunity. It was 10-3 late into the third quarter and we basically gave them 3 of those points. That game was within reach if we did anything offensively. "Well we are breaking in a bunch of new guys and the defense looked good and Ohio State is a really good program (maybe, it will be interesting to see how they do the rest of the year because I think they looked wholly beatable yesterday, even a moderately successful offense makes them a whole bunch more uncomfortable)..." Sake of argument, yeah, all true. However, again, this is year 7.

We have to destroy ISU and we have to beat Louisville the next two weeks. We are at the point where the ineptitude of the football program could be putting us in a real precarious position with all of the conference realignment. We are lucky we weren't in a conference like the Pac-12, we would be Oregon St. and Washington St. if we weren't grandfathered into this conference. At a certain point we HAVE to stop being the doormat that thinks things are a little better because we didn't get completely rolled by a ranked team.

Ohio State didn't look that good yesterday. A healthy Indiana football program could have been in position to take advantage of that instead of talking about how close we kept it. We aren't a healthy program. Our assistant coaches are a revolving door and we change what we want to do offensively just about every year it seems.

Yeah, it was improvement that we didn't get blown out and maybe we will turn the corner back to the positive this year and be in bowl position when the year ends, but yesterday looked an awful lot like last year to me. A defense that could be good and an offense that couldn't move the ball to save it's life. The only difference being the new rules on first down help run the clock and we weren't stupidly trying to hurry up.

If you have not been dealing with this for almost 60 years, I might agree with you but I have had enough.Less you forget, OSU tried 2 new QB's and had lots of new guys on defense and yes our defense was improved. But the offense was pitiful. 150 yards in a game is what good teams have in a quarter and our star scatback is already hurt. Why should I have any hope?
McCord is not a new QB. This is his third year with the Buckeyes. He played in 12 games before yesterday, started one and was named Big Ten Freshman of the Week.

Sure, OSU has some new guys. They always do. They have to replace the players who move on to the NFL. They replace them with 4 and 5 star guys who move on to the NFL.

Listen, I feel your pain. I've spent considerable time and considerable coin supporting this team for a long time, and not just in Bloomington. I've traveled around the country to see them in places like Columbus, State College, East Hartford CT, Jacksonville, Miami, Tampa, Bowling Green KY and Tempe AZ. Despite the bowl losses in Jan 2020 and Jan 2021 (I was in attendance for both), the 2019 and 2020 seasons were a thrill for me and I continue to have hope that we can achieve that level of success again.

You can't judge our offense by how it looked for one game against effing Ohio State. If it still looks inept at the end of September, that's a different story and we've got a problem. Hopefully Williams is able to return soon.

It was a lost opportunity. It was 10-3 late into the third quarter and we basically gave them 3 of those points. That game was within reach if we did anything offensively. "Well we are breaking in a bunch of new guys and the defense looked good and Ohio State is a really good program (maybe, it will be interesting to see how they do the rest of the year because I think they looked wholly beatable yesterday, even a moderately successful offense makes them a whole bunch more uncomfortable)..." Sake of argument, yeah, all true. However, again, this is year 7.

We have to destroy ISU and we have to beat Louisville the next two weeks. We are at the point where the ineptitude of the football program could be putting us in a real precarious position with all of the conference realignment. We are lucky we weren't in a conference like the Pac-12, we would be Oregon St. and Washington St. if we weren't grandfathered into this conference. At a certain point we HAVE to stop being the doormat that thinks things are a little better because we didn't get completely rolled by a ranked team.

Ohio State didn't look that good yesterday. A healthy Indiana football program could have been in position to take advantage of that instead of talking about how close we kept it. We aren't a healthy program. Our assistant coaches are a revolving door and we change what we want to do offensively just about every year it seems.

Yeah, it was improvement that we didn't get blown out and maybe we will turn the corner back to the positive this year and be in bowl position when the year ends, but yesterday looked an awful lot like last year to me. A defense that could be good and an offense that couldn't move the ball to save it's life. The only difference being the new rules on first down help run the clock and we weren't stupidly trying to hurry up.
No one is forcing you to watch/cheer. Move along if it brings you so much angst. Life is short. If you don’t enjoy IU football then don’t waste your time on IU football.

No one is forcing you to watch/cheer. Move along if it brings you so much angst. Life is short. If you don’t enjoy IU football then don’t waste your time on IU football.
And where were these "lost opportunity" guys before the game? I must have missed the predictions that this game (Ohio State) represented a great opportunity for IU to score a win over a team that will likely be in the hunt for the national championship.

Moral victories are VERY important. Don't sell them short or disrespect them.
I don't believe in moral victories either. But you have to admit we played pretty damn solid against one of the most talented teams in the country. To me that's progress

Reactions: ESalum86
I don't. I DVR'd the game and was able to catch a little bit while I was out and about. It isn't appointment viewing for me like it isn't for most people. It would be nice if it felt worth putting some time into. I enjoy college football, wish Indiana would make me want to watch them. They don't though, so I long ago learned how to fill those late summer and fall Saturdays with something else...much like most of the other potential fans of the team.
And where were these "lost opportunity" guys before the game? I must have missed the predictions that this game (Ohio State) represented a great opportunity for IU to score a win over a team that will likely be in the hunt for the national championship.
You understand that there is "predictions" and there is reality right? That wasn't a National title contender we played on Saturday. They may eventually be one but there are quite a few teams that would have beat Ohio State this past weekend. When it is 7 to 3 with a couple seconds going into the half, the whole 30+ point beating prediction is out the window. That is a game you can steal (i.e. an opportunity to win). If you don't steal the game it is a missed opportunity to do so. And "only" getting beat by 3 touchdowns wasn't an improvement, it is the norm. We "only" lost by 1 touchdown in 2020. Then we backslid horribly for two years and to be honest, the backslide is the norm too. Go look at prior history and we are an up and down roller coaster of within a touchdown as the peak of a hill followed by 20 point losses leading to 40 point thrashings back to 20 point losses to one really close one and over and over again.

"Don't watch if it bothers you." OK. Good luck getting any more fans than the 30,000ish we still have caring by the bucket game in a regular year. Still a bunch of games to be played, hopefully playing Ohio State "close" translates to actual wins down the schedule.

I don't. I DVR'd the game and was able to catch a little bit while I was out and about. It isn't appointment viewing for me like it isn't for most people. It would be nice if it felt worth putting some time into. I enjoy college football, wish Indiana would make me want to watch them. They don't though, so I long ago learned how to fill those late summer and fall Saturdays with something else...much like most of the other potential fans of the team.

You understand that there is "predictions" and there is reality right? That wasn't a National title contender we played on Saturday. They may eventually be one but there are quite a few teams that would have beat Ohio State this past weekend. When it is 7 to 3 with a couple seconds going into the half, the whole 30+ point beating prediction is out the window. That is a game you can steal (i.e. an opportunity to win). If you don't steal the game it is a missed opportunity to do so. And "only" getting beat by 3 touchdowns wasn't an improvement, it is the norm. We "only" lost by 1 touchdown in 2020. Then we backslid horribly for two years and to be honest, the backslide is the norm too. Go look at prior history and we are an up and down roller coaster of within a touchdown as the peak of a hill followed by 20 point losses leading to 40 point thrashings back to 20 point losses to one really close one and over and over again.

"Don't watch if it bothers you." OK. Good luck getting any more fans than the 30,000ish we still have caring by the bucket game in a regular year. Still a bunch of games to be played, hopefully playing Ohio State "close" translates to actual wins down the schedule.
Here's the reality. Ohio State has vastly superior talent with one of the best defenses in the country. We were playing two QBs with, at the college level, 10 passing attempts between them. That's not how upsets happen.

The game was closer than expected, not because OSU didn't show up (they've won 23 consecutive season openers, and crushed us with 50+ points in 2021 and 2022) but because Guerreiri was undoubtedly able to leverage his comprehensive understanding of the OSU program. He called a great game defensively and our D played exceptionally well. We simply didn't have the horses, the depth and the experience to hang with them until the end.

You can have the last word, and I know that you will.

Go Hoosiers!

Here's the reality. Ohio State has vastly superior talent with one of the best defenses in the country. We were playing two QBs with, at the college level, 10 passing attempts between them. That's not how upsets happen.
In a transfer world this argument means nothing anymore. Other programs that have the same type of talent issues have found ways to beat Ohio State since the last time we did. I turn 45 later this year. The last time we beat Ohio State I was in elementary school (third grade IIRC). I have grown up and have 3 of 4 children that are older than I was the last time we beat Ohio State. Upsets are generally two things: 1. Some fortuitous luck mixed with 2. The preparation to take advantage of the superior team's off day. Indiana has had a few opportunities the past 35 years when Ohio State has been saddled with #1, the problem is we never are in a position to do #2. (And by preparation, I don't mean that we didn't "try" hard enough, it means we don't have the right system in place, the right players, the right coaches, etc.)
The game was closer than expected, not because OSU didn't show up (they've won 23 consecutive season openers, and crushed us with 50+ points in 2021 and 2022) but because Guerreiri was undoubtedly able to leverage his comprehensive understanding of the OSU program. He called a great game defensively and our D played exceptionally well. We simply didn't have the horses, the depth and the experience to hang with them until the end.
Ohio State showed up, they just aren't the team everyone was expecting (yet). Our defense was good but it isn't like most Top 15 types of teams aren't going to be able to do the same. They could improve, but they looked like a 2 to 3 loss team to me on Saturday.
You can have the last word, and I know that you will.

Go Hoosiers!
Maybe, I could write something inflammatory that would get you to respond...😜

I am glad some of you can find contentment in the participation trophies. I don't. The sad sack nature of the football program is a threat to Indiana's position in the college sports world if they don't get shit figured out.

Comment

Well I have been watching college and pro football for about 60 years. You say pro football is more fun. Quite frankly I get tired of watching a bunch of spoiled pros. Those guys guys often make more in one game than the fans in the stands do in a whole year and more in a year than most of us in a lifetime. Of course, that's not enough. Have you been following the Taylor/Colts affair? Taylor's upset because the Colts won't extend his 4.3 million dollar contract with a raise. Taylor's not the only one, you see this type of holdout every year. And how often do you see a planned play where the QB runs the ball? Heaven forbid the rich boy should be exposed to any kind of injury. And now the NFL is making rules to outlaw hard tackling.

I live in Indianapolis and love going to IU's games. I went to school and got 2 degrees. The colts, on the other hand, came to town when the prick owner ripped them away from Baltimore in the middle of the night. Irsay, and now his son, have been making demands like the training center, concession money, new stadium, luxury boxes, etc.; getting getting away with murder ripping off the taxpayers. What reason do I have to get excited about the Colts other than we reside in the same city

I grew up watching the Bears and the Packers. That was a good rivalry at one time but not so much any more. What other really good rivalries are there in the NFL? Dallas and Washington was good for a while, but not anymore. The pros lack any good games where beating the other team is a must just on principal. I know of a couple dozen rivalries from OSU/UM to Wabash/DePauw that are great even if you aren't associated with either team.

I know the college game is getting more and more money driven with conference realignment, NIL and such, but most of the players are not going pro and they know it. You still see a lot of guys playing for the love of the game. I still enjoy a good college game any day to the pros. By the way, if you saw Duke beat Clemson last night you saw the rich don't always come out on top. And you don't see the enthusiasm in the pros like last night when all the Duke students rushed the field.

Well I have been watching college and pro football for about 60 years. You say pro football is more fun. Quite frankly I get tired of watching a bunch of spoiled pros. Those guys guys often make more in one game than the fans in the stands do in a whole year and more in a year than most of us in a lifetime. Of course, that's not enough. Have you been following the Taylor/Colts affair? Taylor's upset because the Colts won't extend his 4.3 million dollar contract with a raise. Taylor's not the only one, you see this type of holdout every year. And how often do you see a planned play where the QB runs the ball? Heaven forbid the rich boy should be exposed to any kind of injury. And now the NFL is making rules to outlaw hard tackling.

I live in Indianapolis and love going to IU's games. I went to school and got 2 degrees. The colts, on the other hand, came to town when the prick owner ripped them away from Baltimore in the middle of the night. Irsay, and now his son, have been making demands like the training center, concession money, new stadium, luxury boxes, etc.; getting getting away with murder ripping off the taxpayers. What reason do I have to get excited about the Colts other than we reside in the same city

I grew up watching the Bears and the Packers. That was a good rivalry at one time but not so much any more. What other really good rivalries are there in the NFL? Dallas and Washington was good for a while, but not anymore. The pros lack any good games where beating the other team is a must just on principal. I know of a couple dozen rivalries from OSU/UM to Wabash/DePauw that are great even if you aren't associated with either team.

I know the college game is getting more and more money driven with conference realignment, NIL and such, but most of the players are not going pro and they know it. You still see a lot of guys playing for the love of the game. I still enjoy a good college game any day to the pros. By the way, if you saw Duke beat Clemson last night you saw the rich don't always come out on top. And you don't see the enthusiasm in the pros like last night when all the Duke students rushed the field.

The Colts are a mismanaged mess of a program.

Reactions: IU73

I worked in Cleveland for 31 years and saw every home game in person from 1969 until they left and then I bought season tickets again when they returned. The Browns/Steelers and Browns /Bengals rivalries were and are great. To me, the villains in the NFL are the owners more than the players. You mentioned Irsay. I agree but Art Modell moved the Browns to Baltimore even though we sold out 90,000 seats for every game. He wanted a newer stadium with seat licenses. Total greed. And he never had the guts to return to Cleveland. And yes, congrats to Duke, but that will be a rarity. Most of the blue bloods are and will be the blue bloods. But it is becoming obvious that maybe the transfer portal and a big name coach is the way to go. IU should pay attention. Heck, I hate him, but maybe Urban Meyer.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT