ADVERTISEMENT

CJ West committed

Zero reason, absent injuries, to not make a bowl game this season.
How cool would that be!

We have a very good QB, very good rushing DE and I think a good left tackle. Plus good up the middle at LB and a good #1 CB. Great receiver group. I would like one more interior defensive lineman to help keep our LB's clean, but I can see 6 wins with this coaching staff and team.

I like our opportunities with West and really getting more with him than we did with Andre Carter last season.
I think Carter had several suitors but he never materialized here in his one season to be disruptive. I think West will get better coaching and be a bigger impact on the DL and has more upside.

I think IU positions 1-22 is absolutely good enough to win 6-7 games next year. We have the talent and personnel but are very thin on both sides of the line. If this team can avoid substantial injuries to the offensive and defensive lines, should be in good shape. A good mix of talent in experience on the offensive line, but depth and experience is really lacking once you get past the expected starters.

Reactions: red hornet
most talking heads likely base their opinions based on how teams did this year and program prestige.

With so much turnover and a new staff, that means little for IU.
For sure... Unfortunately historically they have been right about IU football.

What Vegas says around mid August is what I will go with. They are oddly very accurate.

Zero reason, absent injuries, to not make a bowl game this season.
With our schedule I think 6 wins is a reasonable expectation. And that would be a good first year for a new coaching staff. Especially at the losingest program in college football history.

Reactions: red hornet
Really happy CJ picked the Hoosiers! He looks like a force.

Now I'll be disappointed with six wins. Not really, but my expectations just increased to seven or more. More than seven is a bonus to me. It is the B1G. Winning a bowl could do it... No ceiling on these guys though. I'm sure they aren't seeing one, an all new team but they all seem to have high expectations of coming together right away and being strong.

I guess the staff knows football! They've been working on hard on the defense. Looking good. Congrats to the coaches and staff and the guys on the team for keeping after it.

Welcome Mr. West! (At strong and 300 pounds, it's Mr. ... Not taking chances.)

Last edited:
Really happy CJ picked the Hoosiers! He looks like a force.

Now I'll be disappointed with six wins. Not really, but my expectations just increased to seven or more. More than seven is a bonus to me. It is the B1G. Winning a bowl could do it... No ceiling on these guys though. I'm sure they aren't seeing one, an all new team but they all seem to have high expectations of coming together right away and being strong.

I guess the staff knows football! They've been working on hard on the defense. Looking good. Congrats to the coaches and staff and the guys on the team for keeping after it.

Welcome Mr. West! (At strong and 300 pounds, it's Mr. ... Not taking chances.)
I'm excited to see what we have but I'm much more subdued. I have no reason to simply assume we're a bowl team at this point but I've also seen enough to allow me to believe we have a chance to be. Hope is all we can ask for at this point.

Why should we be in any worse shape then any of our other bowl seasons?

'Building a program' better not take too many years anymore, with the portal. And this isn't Wilson putting together a staff from scratch. Staff, plus portal. Hit the ground running.

Sure six wins and a bowl game would be nice. But my realistic expectations just went up by one.

Football is a funny game though. Can play this exact same season out a hundred times and the wins would vary from two to ten. It's just too unpredictable. Teams get good schedules and get many of the bounces, they win huge. Get a few injuries and get very few bounces or some competition is better than expected and it's a disaster year. Analysts have shown a lot is random.

But I believe our 'quality control' is going to be (already is) a lot better with Coach Cig. Less downside randomness due to mistakes I'm guessing. Or from building the wrong roster.

Last edited:
I'm excited to see what we have but I'm much more subdued. I have no reason to simply assume we're a bowl team at this point but I've also seen enough to allow me to believe we have a chance to be. Hope is all we can ask for at this point.
I do believe that is correct. We've seen enough from this staff to identify their efforts are making things fall differently than in the past and we do presume that to be better. Accurately recognizing roster needs and the ability to fill them with experience of achievement is not smoke and mirrors. Yes it feels different from past square 1 initiatives. It just has to be the right direction.

Reactions: vesuvius13
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT