ADVERTISEMENT

Camion Patrick and going forward...

Ghostridah

Senior
Sep 30, 2006
I am not Gil Brandt nor Bill Polian or Bill Walsh. But I've been around a bit and have watched every great running back since Jim Brown and Gale Sayers. I think I can remember former Bear Willie Galimore, but don't remember specifics about his game.

You can look in the IU record book and say based on numbers that IU has had a number of successful running backs. Well, I'm a proponent of the theory of "even a bad team has a leading scorer." Just because you had numbers didn't make you really really good. For most of my life, the best back on the field played for the team in the other jersey. John Isenbarger was pretty darn good and played in the NFL. Tom Nowatzke did too but I don't remember him playing. Terry Cole was from my dad's home town and was a tough, determined fullback with NFL game. But after that, you have to jump to A.T., Vaughn Dunbar, and then Tevin Coleman to really be elite players. Some could argue for Levron Williams and Alex Smith. But they were really not quit at the level of Thompson, Dunbar, and Coleman. Even though he didn't stay healthy, Jordan Howard may well have been one of those elite backs. But he has his own unique style.

Which brings me to this. For my money, the finest running talent in the history of IU football remains Vaughn Dunbar. A.T. was a slashing power guy who attacked every carry like it was Pickett's charge. Coleman could break any run for the distance. But Dunbar could run with power, elude people in tight quarters, and simply had burst like Coleman. Dunbar could juke and shift and cut and whoosh.

I cannot link You Tube or hudl. But I encourage everyone who's interested to search Camion Patrick's junior highlights from High School. The JC highlights are available too. But the HS one's are simply fun. At the time, he was a 6-2 200 lb running back / wide receiver with 4.4 speed. Even the guys who tackled him went backwards 5 yards. I found myself giggling at the view. Currently Patrick is 6-2 225 and a player in limbo. What's his position? Is he a RB? Is he a WR? Is he both? This fall on a team with Nate Sudfeld and Jordan Howard, Coach Wilson has hinted that Patrick was the best talent on offense. That they moved him to RB for the scout team and he dazzled. In looking at the tape, IU hasn't really had anyone like Patrick. A.T. wasn't that fast. He was determined and had guts and vision. Dunbar and Coleman had speed at 200 lbs. Howard has vision, balance and "whomp".

Coach Wilson is a very smart offensive mind. Patrick is a very unique talent. I cannot wait to see how that talent is utilized. I'm still giggling at his tape. And drooling at the prospect.
Go IU Football.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News