ADVERTISEMENT

Braylon Mullins and IU

Coyle put in a future cast for IU
Leary was very high on him, so he must've looked really good this weekend. Leary said he was similarly skilled to Dalton Knecht. He was careful to say not as good as Dalton Knecht, but maybe that he thought he looked similar to what Dalton Knecht looked like at that age. I also go the feeling he was saying if you only got 1 of the 2, maybe Mullins is the guy you want more than Sisley, even though I think at this stage Sisley is the higher rated (I don't keep up with ratings much)?

Also, it's probably mostly how lost he gets in hosting his show, but I don't put much stock into what Coyle says unless he states where he's getting his information. Dude started driving to Indy Friday, thinking it was Saturday and he needed to get to the AAU event, and forgot he had a radio show to do, and ended up doing his show from McDonalds.

Leary was very high on him, so he must've looked really good this weekend. Leary said he was similarly skilled to Dalton Knecht. He was careful to say not as good as Dalton Knecht, but maybe that he thought he looked similar to what Dalton Knecht looked like at that age. I also go the feeling he was saying if you only got 1 of the 2, maybe Mullins is the guy you want more than Sisley, even though I think at this stage Sisley is the higher rated (I don't keep up with ratings much)?

Also, it's probably mostly how lost he gets in hosting his show, but I don't put much stock into what Coyle says unless he states where he's getting his information. Dude started driving to Indy Friday, thinking it was Saturday and he needed to get to the AAU event, and forgot he had a radio show to do, and ended up doing his show from McDonalds.
Yeah, I find it really embarrassing for a fan base that pride themselves on being knowledgeable that almost all of our beat writers and radio personalities associated with IU basketball are simply buffoons. Thank God for that sultry voice of Don Fischer to buoy the ranks.

He’s so hard to listen to anymore. Hes stuck in the time of parachute pants.

Reactions: Bill4411 and kkott
Yeah, I find it really embarrassing for a fan base that pride themselves on being knowledgeable that almost all of our beat writers and radio personalities associated with IU basketball are simply buffoons. Thank God for that sultry voice of Don Fischer to buoy the ranks.
Lots of national guys, insiders are flat awful. Goodman types especially.

That's the annoying part about Coyle: he gets really good, interesting guests and then he forgets he's there to encourage them to talk and he blabs all over them. But, Fisch shines even among the guests and I always love hearing him. Seems like great announcer and great person.

This forum has pretty well cured me from thinking IU fans know more about bball than other fanbases.

Mullins is a must get. His rate of improvement is staggering. He'll end up a top 25 player, whether the rankings reflect it, I don't know. Players like Sheppard and Knecht mightve broke down some of the ranking prejudices.

Leary was on the money though. The big 3 and Tiller would be a great class. I have concerns with our instate recruiting though.

I mostly agree. However, I think Zach Osterman from the Indy Star is pretty knowledgeable and level-headed. He seems like a pretty solid "representative" of the IU press contingent, if you will. I dunno, though. I've never gotten a feel as to what this forum thinks of him. But, that's my take.

I mostly agree. However, I think Zach Osterman from the Indy Star is pretty knowledgeable and level-headed. He seems like a pretty solid "representative" of the IU press contingent, if you will. I dunno, though. I've never gotten a feel as to what this forum thinks of him. But, that's my take.
That’s probably fair. I think the fact that I don’t really have an opinion specific to him probably speaks to him doing a pretty solid job. Obviously, I have read plenty of his stuff, but nothing inflammatory one way or another that sticks out in the back of my mind.

Mullins is a must get. His rate of improvement is staggering. He'll end up a top 25 player, whether the rankings reflect it, I don't know. Players like Sheppard and Knecht mightve broke down some of the ranking prejudices.

Leary was on the money though. The big 3 and Tiller would be a great class. I have concerns with our instate recruiting though.
who are you considering the big 3: (Mullins, Sisley, Moreno and Harrelson?) Who's Tiller? Apologies, I just don't like trying to keep up with recruiting stuff until I know we are at least pursuing someone.

who are you considering the big 3: (Mullins, Sisley, Moreno and Harrelson?) Who's Tiller? Apologies, I just don't like trying to keep up with recruiting stuff until I know we are at least pursuing someone.
Bryson tiller, but I was trying to figure out who the big 3 was as well. Sisley, Harrelsom, and Mullins was my assumption.

Reactions: edub72

You might be underselling that McDonald’s. 🙂

Bryson tiller, but I was trying to figure out who the big 3 was as well. Sisley, Harrelsom, and Mullins was my assumption.
Big three is what alot of the talking heads in-state are calling Moreno, Sisley and Mullins. I think it's quite possible we get none of them. Rosemond is so much more of a superior recruiter than Walsh. I have my opinions on why we don't have an in-state dominant recruiting presence.

IMHO
Harrelson, Mullins and Adam's are very, very good. Adams is rail thin or he'd be a top 10 guy. Plays both sides hard and shoots the lights out. Mullins though, he's catching Harrelson, he's not on the national radar yet but the Dalton Knecht talk is going to stick and then he'll be on the big boys list.

Mullins, Tiller, Harrelson, Moreno would be my want list. Adams if we lose Mullins to Dusty.

Reactions: kkott

Dalton Knecht at the same age was only good enough to receive a JUCO offer... just saying.

Reactions: CG Paul and ulrey
Osterman is very good. He is a talented reporter plus he seems to be a normal person with good judgement — a rare combo.

He is a good follow on coaching searches like with football last year. He didn’t get caught up in the bad bball coach rumors. His critiques good or bad seem pretty fair. Just a good source for IUBB/FB info.

I'm not going to parse Leary's words, but I took it to mean he thinks Mullins is going to be very good.
I understand... it was a commentary on always having these comparisons, he reminds me of this guy, he reminds me of that guy. Most are ridiculous.

Osterman is very good. He is a talented reporter plus he seems to be a normal person with good judgement — a rare combo.

He is a good follow on coaching searches like with football last year. He didn’t get caught up in the bad bball coach rumors. His critiques good or bad seem pretty fair. Just a good source for IUBB/FB info.
Osterman has an editor that he has to answer to on the daily. Most of these other guys don't. They can say whatever they want.

Reactions: asindc
I understand... it was a commentary on always having these comparisons, he reminds me of this guy, he reminds me of that guy. Most are ridiculous.
I tend to compare players to past players a lot. This Jalen Harralson reminds me a lot of Jimmy Butler. They are about the same size and I would compare their skill sets to each other. Therefore I would love to have Jalen at IU because if we had Jimmy Butler that would have been a good thing back in the day.

maybe, but it also provides a visual reference for the skills a guy has, and as I said, he was careful not to say he had Knecht's skills today. Leary if you listen to him is pretty realistic in most of what he says. Claims he could fix Galloway's shooting in 1 session. I think if I was a coach, I'd try and insure Trey was going to go shoot at a court or gym one day that Leary might visit.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT