ADVERTISEMENT

Best QB's available in the Portal

76-1

Hall of Famer
Mar 22, 2017
Indiana
These are some of the "best" in my opinion...

1) Cam Ward Washington State 6'2" 210

2) DJ Uiagalelei Oregon State 6' 4" 245

3) Riley Leonard Duke 6'4" 205

4) Tyler Van Dyke Miami 6'4" 230

5)Will Howard Kansas State 6'4" 210

6) Will Rodgers Mississippi State 6'2" 200

7) Brendan Sorsby INDIANA 6'3" 230

8) Grayson McCall Coastal Carolina 6'3" 200

9) Jordan McCloud James Madison 6' 205

10) Tyler Shough Texas Tech 6'4" 200

*Dante Moore dropped per Bucket Getters analysis...

Looks like everyone listed only has 1 year left to play other than Sorsby... ((Could be wrong if some of them still have a COVID year in play))

Last edited:
Reactions: EvansvilleHoosier88

6) Will Rodgers Missippi State 6'2" 200

7) Brendan Sorsby INDIANA 6'3" 236

9) Tyler Shough Texas Tech 6'4" 200

I'll be editing this and adding 3 or more soon
Can you add how many years of eligibility they have left?

Reactions: 76-1
Interesting that the guy we pursued a couple years ago, Cam Ward from Incarnate Word. Is back in the portal after 2 years. We got Bazelek and….the rest is history.
Actually, IU was Ward’s first FBS offer. Will he look this way again?

Interesting that the guy we pursued a couple years ago, Cam Ward from Incarnate Word. Is back in the portal after 2 years. We got Bazelek and….the rest is history.
Actually, IU was Ward’s first FBS offer. Will he look this way again?
He is getting $1mill NIL offers. Probably not prudent to use that much one one player.

I'd like to see Sorsby retained. He had some really nice games, Illinois comes to mind. Had Indiana played a lick of passing defense, they win.

I didn't realize Sorsby was that big of a man. 6-3 and 240lbs is a big dude.

The QB position is always going to be overbid. Boosters desperate to fix their teams aren't going to be as savvy as coaches and put the most money to the lines. NIL will always lean toward the flash, IMO
Of course there's analytics too. And QB is the most important position.

I don't yet understand the mechanism as to how the coaches get their input. I know it happens by who they put on their team, and Cignetti talked about going through the list of which guys should get what.

I am hoping with Sorsby's connection, we can keep him for a home town discount. If he's who coach wants, and I'd be surprised if he didn't as Sorsby is a very good player.

Be interesting to see what coach can do with Jackson... Does Jackson also get one more transfer? Or is that only as a grad student?

Reactions: midwolfe and 76-1
The QB position is always going to be overbid. Boosters desperate to fix their teams aren't going to be as savvy as coaches and put the most money to the lines. NIL will always lean toward the flash, IMO
Of course there's analytics too. And QB is the most important position.

I don't yet understand the mechanism as to how the coaches get their input. I know it happens by who they put on their team, and Cignetti talked about going through the list of which guys should get what.

I am hoping with Sorsby's connection, we can keep him for a home town discount. If he's who coach wants, and I'd be surprised if he didn't as Sorsby is a very good player.

Be interesting to see what coach can do with Jackson... Does Jackson also get one more transfer? Or is that only as a grad student?
They all get a free transfer due to the coaching change...

I'll try to a little later...
May The Fourth Be With You Do It GIF by Star Wars

I'd like to see Sorsby retained. He had some really nice games, Illinois comes to mind. Had Indiana played a lick of passing defense, they win.

I didn't realize Sorsby was that big of a man. 6-3 and 240lbs is a big dude.
I believe he was a RB in HS before he switched to QB. You can tell by the way he runs.

6) Will Rodgers Missippi State 6'2" 200

7) Brendan Sorsby INDIANA 6'3" 236

9) Jordan McCloud James Madison 6' 205

10) Dante Moore UCLA 6'3" 210

11) Tyler Shough Texas Tech 6'4" 200

Looks like everyone listed only has 1 year left to play other than Sorsby and Moore who each have 3... ((Could be wrong if some of them still have a COVID year in play))
Don’t know too much about most of them, but I’d say Hard Pass on UCLA guy. Because of Carson Steele I watched all of their games this year. He’d drive everyone here totally nuts. Tremendous talent combined with terrible decision making and oftentimes poor mechanics.

Makes no sense to spend a million dollars on a quarterback when you only have 4 or 5 million to spend. Cignetti does a great job developing QB's and he's got two talented QB's on staff. Better to fill out the backups to make sure you have four QB's and spread your money across the team looking up a good two deep.

Makes no sense to spend a million dollars on a quarterback when you only have 4 or 5 million to spend. Cignetti does a great job developing QB's and he's got two talented QB's on staff. Better to fill out the backups to make sure you have four QB's and spread your money across the team looking up a good two deep.
Right, Coach Cignetti said he would use NIL "efficiently"

The flip side is a good qb can make everyone else look good. But yea, hopefully less than a million is spent on one.

Given ccc's history with qbs, I would take a discount to play for him. Nfl money is still much higher

Jackson is locked in here for another year. He brings his own guy in for a year and Jackson gets coached up a year. His JR/SR years could be scary good. He showed he’s got the deep ball.

Bring McCloud in for 1 year. This would be his 7th year I believe and then let the younger guys battle it out the following year.

Hopefully that won't be the case. Cignetti could be the best thing that ever happened for Sorsby if he's mature enough to recognize it and return to go through the process...

I do agree. However, I just believe that Sorsby is going to make this thing about $$ unfortunately and Cig may have a preference for someone else.

Reactions: Spartans9312
I believe he was a RB in HS before he switched to QB. You can tell by the way he runs.
They way I heard it he was a baseball player who only played Football his SR year of high school and was injured for half of that...

That's why I think we should go the extra mile to bring him back... He is was as raw as raw could be and was playing behind an extremely suspect line for all but about 3 games yet up until the last one he appeared to be getting a little better each time out...

With some consistent coaching (a full time QB's Coach) and and improved offensive line by the time he's a JR he could end up being the Real deal and a probable top draft pick...

I think he'd be making the biggest mistake of his young life to leave but I'm afraid that's exactly what he might do if he lets himself get scared off by the JMU guy possibly transferring here...

What he hopefully will realize is that he's going to have to compete against near peers anywhere he goes outside of a move to the lower half of the MAC...

If he picks a good coaching staff, he won't be "making the biggest mistake ... "
Come on, why would that be? Familiarity here?
Just because we think we have a solid coach and staff and more resources than before, doesn't mean he can't find as good coaching or good resources elsewhere.

Still, I agree that hopefully he will 'see the light' that returning to Indiana will be a good thing for him. Big Ten football, what appears to be a good staff.
But I don't know if other teams may have a more settled situation as far as line and receivers. I expect we'll be solid, but I don't know that yet.

Tom Allen and staff though are the ones that took a Texas kid who was 3 stars despite being injured. (I assume still 3 stars based on athleticism and potential, good call by the rating services) So I see why his loyalty would be more to them, even though they made the decision not to play him until their hand was almost forced.

Reactions: midwolfe
Have they changed NIL rules? The University and coaching staff were not allowed to direct NIL money to anyone initially.
Shhh... He probably forgot he was in INDIANA and not Alabama... 😉

I was thinking that our Compliance Dept. probably already has his office bugged and his phone tapped after that slip of the tongue...

He was being truthful but someone should tip him off that won't work with the press, or the NCAA, or our Compliance team, in this neck of the woods...

I do agree. However, I just believe that Sorsby is going to make this thing about $$ unfortunately and Cig may have a preference for someone else.
Why would it be about money? His lead recruiter (Bell) and head coach (Allen) are both gone. You’ve also got a fan base here that half of them can’t even see what real qb talent is.

And Jackson. Jackson showed a lot of promise and that was in a train wreck of an offense.
So what I saw in Sorsby was a guy who better recognized when it was time to take off and run. I felt like he and Jackson were about equals in terms of arm talent.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT