ADVERTISEMENT

Bandwagon Fan

BaxterIU

Senior
Nov 29, 2012
I admit it, I am undeniably the definition of a bandwagon IU football fan. I’m a 65 year old lifetime IU basketball fan. I LOVE the basketball Hoosiers. I NEVER miss a basketball game on tv. I follow recruiting. I travel to watch IU basketball recruiting targets play high school games. I manage to scrape up tickets to get seats in Assembly Hall to about a half-dozen games each season. IU football? Meh, I usually go to one game a season. And even then I feel like a foolish Cubs fan. Next year, next year, next year…

I admit that I got excited when the Hoosiers beat Penn State a few years ago with the Penix two point conversion. I attended not one, but three home games that year. I bought into the LEO thing. I thought maybe we finally found a football coach who could be successful a IU. And when I say successful, I don’t even dream of Ohio State/Michigan/Penn State success, just give me Iowa success.

Watching tonight’s game against Akron was very painful. More than that, it was embarrassing. How can we be such an inept football program decade after decade? Even the goofs in West Lafayette manage a stellar season once a decade. Why can’t IU? Why?

You diehard IU football fans, I sincerely don’t know how you do it. Year after year of pathetic IU football. God love you, I admire your persistence.

Go Hoosiers.

I admit it, I am undeniably the definition of a bandwagon IU football fan. I’m a 65 year old lifetime IU basketball fan. I LOVE the basketball Hoosiers. I NEVER miss a basketball game on tv. I follow recruiting. I travel to watch IU basketball recruiting targets play high school games. I manage to scrape up tickets to get seats in Assembly Hall to about a half-dozen games each season. IU football? Meh, I usually go to one game a season. And even then I feel like a foolish Cubs fan. Next year, next year, next year…

I admit that I got excited when the Hoosiers beat Penn State a few years ago with the Penix two point conversion. I attended not one, but three home games that year. I bought into the LEO thing. I thought maybe we finally found a football coach who could be successful a IU. And when I say successful, I don’t even dream of Ohio State/Michigan/Penn State success, just give me Iowa success.

Watching tonight’s game against Akron was very painful. More than that, it was embarrassing. How can we be such an inept football program decade after decade? Even the goofs in West Lafayette manage a stellar season once a decade. Why can’t IU? Why?

You diehard IU football fans, I sincerely don’t know how you do it. Year after year of pathetic IU football. God love you, I admire your persistence.

Go Hoosiers.

Basketball program has been so mediocre for the last 2 decades that I don’t even think of them as any more than a middle of the pack Big10 program. No excitement there for me anymore with all that hype.

Duke/UNC/KY/Kansas football programs have all started to be good teams, why cant IU? Because their football program is already marred as the losingest in NCAA history and they show that they dont care! Nothing will ever change unless everything and everybody is replaced! Im 40 and I am
To the point where I dont think I will ever see IU go to another bowl game in my lifetime!

Speaking of Penix, I do think he will win the Heisman this year! Sad that it’s not with IU! They are playing Cal and have scored over 40pts at halftime! They look unbeatable! That is a fun team to watch!

Basketball program has been so mediocre for the last 2 decades that I don’t even think of them as any more than a middle of the pack Big10 program. No excitement there for me anymore with a

IU, as an entire university and athletic department is nowhere close to a Power5 level. Completely at the level of Div II organization. Absolute lack of competent leadership. Across the board.
I feel your pain. But if we could carve out Indiana football, the Indiana athletic department has been pretty successful. The big problem is football is a completely different animal and the Hoosiers don't understand it at all. I think the problem has continued as long as it has because for the most part Indiana Hoosier fans don't understand it at all.

I feel your pain. But if we could carve out Indiana football, the Indiana athletic department has been pretty successful. The big problem is football is a completely different animal and the Hoosiers don't understand it at all. I think the problem has continued as long as it has because for the most part Indiana Hoosier fans don't understand it at all.

And you know what the big problem is, right?
If you don’t field a competitive football team, your athletic department is at huge disadvantage across the board compared to your peers in the conference. Which means hiring good basketball coaches, not 62 year old retreads, and attracting really good coaches with money available. IU has zero pull in the conference and it’s because football cannot do it’s part.

Go Hoosiers.
How did you manage to attend any games during the Covid year?

Go Hoosiers.
Although I agree with many of your points, unless you are counting your cardboard cutout, you did not attend any games during the year we beat Penn St.

You obviously don't pay attention to the other athletic teams fielded by IU.

And, you haven’t caught on to the fact that “all the other teams” don’t have a seat at the table when it comes to the big money and decisions that are made based on this big money all driven by the sport of football. It’s great that other sports do well. Fantastic. But that doesn’t factor into the decision making process these days at all.

Reactions: bang63

Go Hoosiers.
You love Indiana basketball and you don’t care about Indiana football…you should apply for a job in the athletic department as you will fit right in.

I agree. But sadly, and I take no joy in saying so, IU football only dreams of being middle of the pack.
IU needs to hire the Louisville AD, they always seem to know
what they are doing.

Indiana is a diamond in the rough when it comes to football. The right coach could win at Indiana and win solidly and consistently. It's a nice university and campus and has anything a lot of players would be looking for. As long as there's also reasonable NIL money.

If IU had a 7 year head coach such as Kalen DeBoer, or P.J. Fleck, Indiana would be ROLLING and money would be coming in for NIL, and for facilities. And guys like that were available, we took Wilson and then Allen.

Allen was maybe worth a flier. He's not worth keeping. His teams come out flat, or stupid, or if they play great the coaches blow the game. I don't fault the young men. It's coaching!

Another up and comer left our DC spot. There's more.

Allen looked vaguely like those types. He isn't.

I thought he was, I was wrong.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT