ADVERTISEMENT

Ballo’s Bag

If I was MR or MM i would be kind of mad. They only got got 700k and then ballow comes rolloing in and get 500k more than them.
I tend to think there isn't an issue here. I'd guess Ballo's actual NIL isn't quite his ask, so he is probably a little less than the $1.2M number. He's a 5th year guy with a lot of experience and top-rated in the portal, and MR/MM are younger and less experienced, meaning there are some reasons for the difference. MR/MM know they have eligibility left to keep earning. Even more basic -- MR/MM may not even care to begin with.

I don't know what MR/MM make, maybe you've heard. Somewhere b/t $500K and $1M, probably in the middle, but who knows.

Reactions: Bucket Getter
I tend to think there isn't an issue here. I'd guess Ballo's actual NIL isn't quite his ask, so he is probably a little less than the $1.2M number. He's a 5th year guy with a lot of experience and top-rated in the portal, and MR/MM are younger and less experienced, meaning there are some reasons for the difference. MR/MM know they have eligibility left to keep earning. Even more basic -- MR/MM may not even care to begin with.

I don't know what MR/MM make, maybe you've heard. Somewhere b/t $500K and $1M, probably in the middle, but who knows.
Consider the amount of talent on this roster.

Ballo is a 2-time first team Pac-12 and reignijg Pac-12 DPOY. He averages a double-double.

Reneau is a 5 star who averages 15 and 6.

Mbakgo is a 5 star who avg 12 and 4.

Rice was the Pac-12 freshman of the year.

If IU gets Carlyle, he too his a 5 star.

Does this mean Bryson Tucker, a 5 star burger boy is coming off the bench or is Galloway also ahead of him...or a guy like Essigian (if we nabbed him)? If so, is he even the first one off the bench? When was the last time IU had a 5 star freshman as it's 7th man....assuming we don't add more veteran talent still?! CMW will have absolutely no excuses.

Last edited:
Consider the amount of talent on this roster.

Ballo is a 2-time first team Pac-12 and reignijg Pac-12 DPOY. He averages a double-double.

Reneau is a 5 star burger boy who averages 15 and 6.

Mbakgo is a 5 star burger boy who avg 12 and 4.

Rice was the Pac-12 freshman of the year.

If IU gets Carlyle, he too his a 5 star burger boy.

Does this mean Bryson Tucker, a 5 star burger boy is coming off the bench or is Galloway also ahead of him...or a guy like Essigian (if we nabbed him)? If so, is he even the first one off the bench? When was the last time IU had a 5 star freshman as it's 7th man....assuming we don't add more veteran talent still?! CMW will have absolutely no excuses.
We are absolutely loaded with talent. IU has really been a good coaching gig despite our bad hires — we always got some good talent. The NIL era has made the IU job more even easier — IU is very good with NIL.

I don’t like Woody much, nor have I seen much good coaching from him, but it’s possible we could make a run with this roster if it all clicks, and that would be fun. Woody could make it work, he and the staff have done a good job with this portal. We’ll see. Just win, that’s what matters.

btw I don’t think Carlyle or MR were McD AA’s, but they are very good 3-4 year college players and your point stands.

Last edited:
It is no longer the "Indiana" on the jersey. It is the benjamins in the account. Heck, IU barely goes after any talented Indiana kids anymore or does so halfheartedly. Roll with the times.
So much dumb in one short post. Who in the '24 Indiana class would you rather have on the roster next year. And of course, they would only accept a scholarship, no NIL.

So much dumb in one short post. Who in the '24 Indiana class would you rather have on the roster next year. And of course, they would only accept a scholarship, no NIL.
Every team in the nation is doing the same thing. It would be damn stupid to not compete for recruits in the same manner.

I suspect we got out bid last year and this is the result.. glad they adjusted.

Yea. We have to pay players what they’re worth, no one is going to forgo hundreds of thousands of $ to play for IU.

I’d like us to do more with the state, but the state doesn’t produce enough talent.

And lastly, just because players are getting paid, it doesn’t mean they can’t also “play for the school (IU)” and care. Not a guarantee they will, but most will I would hope.

It is no longer the "Indiana" on the jersey. It is the benjamins in the account. Heck, IU barely goes after any talented Indiana kids anymore or does so halfheartedly. Roll with the times.
The satisfaction of being better than everyone else, because you built a program is gone. Is it still satisfying if you bought a program? I was always glad to see UK fail because of their 1 and done approach. I’ll feel the same way for big spending programs looking to buy success.

• Love
Reactions: .Gerdis
The satisfaction of being better than everyone else, because you built a program is gone. Is it still satisfying if you bought a program? I was always glad to see UK fail because of their 1 and done approach. I’ll feel the same way for big spending programs looking to buy success.
It's very satisfying because its always been this way. Teams have always "bought" championships and not just under the table. Schools have been in an arms race for many decades and they used many methods to accomplish this. Newest, biggest, brightest facilities. Highly paid coached. Amazing immenities. All things that schools paid heavily for and in doing so, that swayed players. The money is just now going to the players instead. People have been so brainwashed into the idea that its somehow ethical for the schools to reap all the benefits and the players reaping it is somehow unethical. It's backwards.

Reactions: Crusty The Baker

If you are in the portal best to name IU as one of your top choices since IU has made it known it has a large NIL fund and helps to establish a negotiating position with whomever.

It's very satisfying because its always been this way. Teams have always "bought" championships and not just under the table. Schools have been in an arms race for many decades and they used many methods to accomplish this. Newest, biggest, brightest facilities. Highly paid coached. Amazing immenities. All things that schools paid heavily for and in doing so, that swayed players. The money is just now going to the players instead. People have been so brainwashed into the idea that its somehow ethical for the schools to reap all the benefits and the players reaping it is somehow unethical. It's backwards.
No, it hasn't always been this way. What you describe are investments. Regardless of privilege, you still had to build a culture, an identity, and a program. We're about to see a complete implosion of college basketball as kids won't really learn the game. They'll go from AAU where they learn to show case skills, to 3 universities over their eligibility based upon cash, and it'll become a complete pick and roll, screen and replace game like the NBA which is miserable to watch. Instead of building a factory to make widgets, schools are now just buying widgets and placing their own name on them. The reason people like college basketball is because of the charm associated with the dedication to your school. Once that allegiance is replaced with cash - a lot of people won't care anymore. What is happening now is nothing more than a straight cash grab.

No, it hasn't always been this way. What you describe are investments. Regardless of privilege, you still had to build a culture, an identity, and a program. We're about to see a complete implosion of college basketball as kids won't really learn the game. They'll go from AAU where they learn to show case skills, to 3 universities over their eligibility based upon cash, and it'll become a complete pick and roll, screen and replace game like the NBA which is miserable to watch. Instead of building a factory to make widgets, schools are now just buying widgets and placing their own name on them. The reason people like college basketball is because of the charm associated with the dedication to your school. Once that allegiance is replaced with cash - a lot of people won't care anymore. What is happening now is nothing more than a straight cash grab.
The cash grab is the schools — they get all the TV $ and other revenue from sports. Players are just now starting to earn what they are worth.

Fans like the name of their tribe on the front of the jersey — that’s the primary driver in college sports regardless of player compensation. If paying players ruined fan interest, there wouldn’t be pro sports leagues. And pre-NIL, most players were getting paid under the table anyways.

The evolution of bball doesn’t have anything to do with NIL. The NBA officiates the game how they want and teams try to be as efficient as possible. Not my cup of tea but that’s what they do.

NIL is part of it, but programs still need to execute culture, strategy, etc. UConn played great bball and won it all. UK spent a lot more and got upset.

Reactions: CriticArisen
From the title I thought this was either NSFW , or some dope suitcase.

Glad we got Ballo. I think he'll work out well. It's like the first true center under Woodson. And Woodson's game plan seems to want one.

I also think NIL probably adjusts a bit, like Cig said, you rank the players and decide who gets what. So I doubt his teammates end up unhappy.

Reactions: kkott
How does everyone feel about Tom Cruise making over 100M to film Top Gun: Maverick, a film that generated over 1.5B worldwide? Tom was paid handsomely for something he enjoys doing, the film generated countless jobs, and entertained a large audience. Would the movie have been more entertaining if he didn't get paid? Perhaps instead of paying Tom 100M, the movie studio could have provided him with free acting classes at a university. Given the 1.5B the film brought in, that would be fair, right?

How does everyone feel about Tom Cruise making over 100M to film Top Gun: Maverick, a film that generated over 1.5B worldwide? Tom was paid handsomely for something he enjoys doing, the film generated countless jobs, and entertained a large audience. Would the movie have been more entertaining if he didn't get paid? Perhaps instead of paying Tom 100M, the movie studio could have provided him with free acting classes at a university. Given the 1.5B the film brought in, that would be fair, right?
Ballo would have done it for $1.2 mil but the size of the cockpit would have been a problem.

Reactions: 75Plymouth
Yeah, but is he going to class? Does he have any true allegiance to IU?

Joking, but movies aren't a college experience like sports used to be.

From the title I thought this was either NSFW , or some dope suitcase.

Glad we got Ballo. I think he'll work out well. It's like the first true center under Woodson. And Woodson's game plan seems to want one.

I also think NIL probably adjusts a bit, like Cig said, you rank the players and decide who gets what. So I doubt his teammates end up unhappy.
First true center under Woody? Man, I don't know how long it's been since we had a guy like him who will rebound, protect the paint and physically intimidate other players. I don't feel like TJD was quite there in the intimidation category, even though he had the #s to suggest it. Thomas Bryant was good, but I think you maybe have to go back to a Benson, Big Mac, Downing or even Walt Bellamy? Dean Garrett was good, but again, don't feel like he was physically imposing like Ballo is. And, Uwe had the size, but not the swagger. Who am I forgetting?

Nah, what had been happening had been a straight cash grab. Now it's pure capitalism. The Universities will end up having players under contract. What you're nagging about is the current chaos the NCAA created but that'll end in time once Universities agree to pay players.

If
The cash grab is the schools — they get all the TV $ and other revenue from sports. Players are just now starting to earn what they are worth.

Fans like the name of their tribe on the front of the jersey — that’s the primary driver in college sports regardless of player compensation. If paying players ruined fan interest, there wouldn’t be pro sports leagues. And pre-NIL, most players were getting paid under the table anyways.

The evolution of bball doesn’t have anything to do with NIL. The NBA officiates the game how they want and teams try to be as efficient as possible. Not my cup of tea but that’s what they do.

NIL is part of it, but programs still need to execute culture, strategy, etc. UConn played great bball and won it all. UK spent a lot more and got upset.
Of course, this is my own opinion, but if you want to earn what you are worth, find a professional league to play in - but protect the amateur status of the game. Again, if a player can't stomach that - either don't play or find a pro league. Even in professional golf, greed has destroyed the game and something will need to be addressed fairly quickly and so acknowledged by most involved. Those that have cashed out certainly don't seem like they have the drive they once did.

I have zero desire to see free agency in college sports. It cheapens success and cheats those who are truly loyal.

• Haha
Reactions: Victorbmyboy
Yeah, but is he going to class? Does he have any true allegiance to IU?

Joking, but movies aren't a college experience like sports used to be.

I get warm fuzzies when I think of players like Jordy Hulls and Anthony Leal, guys who picked IU because of their love for the university. As a fan, it allows me to more easily identify and connect with them, allowing me to share in their successes. I get it.

As an IU fan, we should be thankful for the NIL era, and the rising price of NIL deals. In this NIL arms race, our seat at the table will likely end our 30-years of squalor.

Reactions: jiouhyu
First true center under Woody? Man, I don't know how long it's been since we had a guy like him who will rebound, protect the paint and physically intimidate other players. I don't feel like TJD was quite there in the intimidation category, even though he had the #s to suggest it. Thomas Bryant was good, but I think you maybe have to go back to a Benson, Big Mac, Downing or even Walt Bellamy? Dean Garrett was good, but again, don't feel like he was physically imposing like Ballo is. And, Uwe had the size, but not the swagger. Who am I forgetting?
Steve Downing,Ray Tolbert,Landon TurnerF/C,George Leach,Matt Nover,TJD,Alan HendersonF/C, Todd Lindeman.

If

Of course, this is my own opinion, but if you want to earn what you are worth, find a professional league to play in - but protect the amateur status of the game. Again, if a player can't stomach that - either don't play or find a pro league. Even in professional golf, greed has destroyed the game and something will need to be addressed fairly quickly and so acknowledged by most involved. Those that have cashed out certainly don't seem like they have the drive they once did.

I have zero desire to see free agency in college sports. It cheapens success and cheats those who are truly loyal.
You're a Purdue fan over here complaining about teams buying players because Purdue won't be able to keep up. It's a common theme of concern from you PU fans. Stay mad

First true center under Woody? Man, I don't know how long it's been since we had a guy like him who will rebound, protect the paint and physically intimidate other players. ...
LOL,, yeah, I didn't really need to qualify it as under Woodson did I? (Your list of names has me want to add Ray Tolbert. He played out of position a little, was more a power forward, but he played tough inside.)

But, my point was many view it as a vanishing breed, not needed in the modern game. But should be good for us.

You're a Purdue fan over here complaining about teams buying players because Purdue won't be able to keep up. It's a common theme of concern from you PU fans. Stay mad
I don't have a ton of concern. But will be even more satisfying to have continued success without having to buy a program. It won't be easy, but then again Kentucky's loaded talent approach has been a failure. Indiana has demonstrated the ultimate failure, imo. They haven't been able to build a sustainable program in almost 3 decades, didn't recruit anybody and has resorted to purchasing an off the shelf product. It's not something I'd be particularly proud of. Hard work is a thing of the past - our kids don't know how to build things anymore, become loyal, create a culture; they just use daddy's money to buy what they want. It's not just college basketball - ask most professionals who are mentoring young people in their new professions. They want it all now without being willing to learn or work.

I don't have a ton of concern. But will be even more satisfying to have continued success without having to buy a program. It won't be easy, but then again Kentucky's loaded talent approach has been a failure. Indiana has demonstrated the ultimate failure, imo. They haven't been able to build a sustainable program in almost 3 decades, didn't recruit anybody and has resorted to purchasing an off the shelf product. It's not something I'd be particularly proud of. Hard work is a thing of the past - our kids don't know how to build things anymore, become loyal, create a culture; they just use daddy's money to buy what they want. It's not just college basketball - ask most professionals who are mentoring young people in their new professions. They want it all now without being willing to learn or work.
Old people complaining about young people. Happens every generation. Lame.

Lurch is gone. Purdue will either play the NIL game or struggle. Players will not forgo material amounts of money to go to West Lafayette.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT