ADVERTISEMENT

Attendance

Honestly, if there’s not a a red light emergency on attendance, I don’t know what would get athletic/university attention. Pitiful
Our parking was between SSAH and Memorial Stadium. We got there 30 minutes before the walk and parked in the second row and up against the sidewalk for the walk. Nobody was there. We saw Fred Glass and he thanked us for coming. He looked like he was n a mission. I think he was rounding up people to show up for the BTN show.

We walked up and were in the front row of the show. We left after Archie's interview to join our tailgate. Both lots looked as empty as the stands in the first quarter.

I went to the game. Not only was the stadium sparse, the crowd was lifeless. There was no energy in the stadium. There was more buzz at the spring game than today.

Because they’re not any good. Turn on the Texas A&M game and see if they have an attendance issue. You have to provide value for the $.
Did you turn on the Florida State game against Louisville? A lot of empty seats in Tallahassee.

Our parking was between SSAH and Memorial Stadium. We got there 30 minutes before the walk and parked in the second row and up against the sidewalk for the walk. Nobody was there. We saw Fred Glass and he thanked us for coming. He looked like he was n a mission. I think he was rounding up people to show up for the BTN show.

We walked up and were in the front row of the show. We left after Archie's interview to join our tailgate. Both lots looked as empty as the stands in the first quarter.

White lot was less crowded than league games. Literally half of the people never went in.

I went to the game. Not only was the stadium sparse, the crowd was lifeless. There was no energy in the stadium. There was more buzz at the spring game than today.
I was there, and concur.

I only get to go to one game a year or so (comped tickets from work). Last year it was sposed to be the VA game, but I wasn't going to sit in a monsoon, so it's been two years for me. I'd forgotten just how much the long TV breaks ruin things for the fans in attendance. I also hate how fracking loud the music and PA announcements are. And you kids need to get off my lawn, too.

No I think if FG started going after it hard, the Administration would step in and put a kabash on it. They aren’t gonna spend 5,000,000 on a coach plus staff.....

Not only is the administration too oblivious/cheap to spend five million on a coach, our cracked out fanbase blushes and points fingers at Purdue for making a financial commitment to their football coach. Football is dead as a sport in ten years...win now.

Reactions: Indianaftw
Honestly, if there’s not a a red light emergency on attendance, I don’t know what would get athletic/university attention. Pitiful

There can't be 30,000 people there. Maybe IU should install more seats.

It’s only going to get worse. The lack of excitement for the program has never been more evident than it is now. No one even talks about IUFB anymore.

Agreed..... for the first time I think they should go to a tiered distribution of funds. Where you finish in the B10 should matter . If you want more then climb the ranks.... invest in facilities and coaches

If FG had intentions to play big boy football he would have gone after an experienced successful HC when CKW left. We're stuck near the bottom of the B1G as long as FG is AD.

We had some buzz back in 2015 and 2016. Casual/basketball fans were talking about IUFB. Especially with how exciting our offense was. Now we might as well be Indiana State.

What the heck is wrong with you people?

Official attendance was 40,084

Same old arguments - some years old, some decades

Get over it

What the heck is wrong with you people?

Official attendance was 40,084

Same old arguments - some years old, some decades

Get over it

Announced attendance is tickets sold including all those that stay at the tailgates. There were maybe 35K today once the kids got out of bed, less than the number of IU fans at the Ahia game...but that was quite predictable.

Not only is the administration too oblivious/cheap to spend five million on a coach, our cracked out fanbase blushes and points fingers at Purdue for making a financial commitment to their football coach. Football is dead as a sport in ten years...win now.
This topic has come up several times recently in conversation with my friends about the future of Indiana High School football. Will, and if so, when will flag football take over?

This topic has come up several times recently in conversation with my friends about the future of Indiana High School football. Will, and if so, when will flag football take over?
The insurance companies are going to pull out and there is NO WAY that schools are going to take on that liability. Additionally, one of the two or three companies that covered the NFL pulled out this year.

Kids playing little league baseball dramatically increased for the first time in many years. Coincidence?

The insurance companies are going to pull out and there is NO WAY that schools are going to take on that liability. Additionally, one of the two or three companies that covered the NFL pulled out this year.

Kids playing little league baseball dramatically increased for the first time in many years. Coincidence?
I haven't been tracking the insurance side. Very good point. I have been keeping an eye on various sites and articles about participation in youth tackle football. Seems to be dropping Nationwide at about 2 percent per year. Kind of all over the place depending on the articles though. Some places are down 40 percent since 2014. Flag football has on average over the last couple years has seen a 6 percent increase in their areas. This also lines up with baseball numbers going up too as you said. Don't put too much trust in my numbers. They are from various articles. They all did say the same thing though, tackle football is heading for some major changes.

100% correct...... but when you can’t even get fans to recognize it, we are gonna be where we are for a looooooooooooong time.

Fischer I love on the radio but he just said winning the 3 non conference games is a huge step.... step towards what?
Our fans settling for this IS the problem. Fans should be booing and/or boycotting games.
That would help you idiot!

Winning will fix the attendance problems. If we go up to Michigan State and take care of business there will be more butts in the seats. Probably not sell out, but not embarrassing for TV.
I've been to 2 games this year. It is lifeless on third down.

Attendance is down everywhere. Also, what exactly should they do? Tickets are cheap, they sell beer, the team is 3-1. What do you want? If people are boycotting or something because we lost to a top 10 team that just won 76-5, then I might suggest that our fans are idiots.

Lower prices. It's a $10 ticket maybe. Showing an empty stadium week in and out is stupid. For A Business School IU is incredibly stupid.
They did lower prices. And you can get them even cheaper on stubhub.

I am a retiree living on a fixed income and they have priced me out of the ticket market. or my wife and I to attend a game, park, buy a program and get something to eat at halftime would cost somewhere around $175. That's simply not in our budget.

Reactions: UncleMark
I am a retiree living on a fixed income and they have priced me out of the ticket market. or my wife and I to attend a game, park, buy a program and get something to eat at halftime would cost somewhere around $175. That's simply not in our budget.
You can get into the game for $10, maybe less. What are you planning to eat?

Winning will fix the attendance problems. If we go up to Michigan State and take care of business there will be more butts in the seats. Probably not sell out, but not embarrassing for TV.
I've been to 2 games this year. It is lifeless on third down.
Exactly. Winning, plus beating some of the power teams from time to time (think Iowa and Wisconsin). There were 30k in there yesterday, and there were only about 30k IU fans last Saturday, the other 15k being OSU. Lots of schools are seeing dips, IU is dropping more, and from a lower starting point. That’s not good. The atmosphere around the program has to change.

The question...why the discrepancy between announced attendance and what the eye sees. Years ago, when I was a businessman in Btown the answer was simple. Businesses around town and Indy buy blocks of tickets for many reasons with the intent of giving them to friends and coworkers and employees. Even then it was a hard ticket to give away. Non fans dont give a crap about IU FB...but easily 10000 more tickets could have been sold than butts in seats. It was that way in the old days...well. not too old...vbg

Well you can get very cheap tickets on stub hub, you can park on 19th for free, skip the program (names are on the jerseys now), and they have pass outs at half time so pack a lunch. Obviously there are some inconveniences, but the pricing excuse does not fly.

Attendance is down everywhere. Also, what exactly should they do? Tickets are cheap, they sell beer, the team is 3-1. What do you want? If people are boycotting or something because we lost to a top 10 team that just won 76-5, then I might suggest that our fans are idiots.
I can't believe the stuff I hear at games from people around me.

IU basketball fans are knowledgeable and informed. Football fans? Not so much.

Reactions: Walt542
You mean Texas A&M that lost?
Yes to a top 10 team. They weren’t playing UCONN. Do you remember how we did the last time we played a good team?

A&M is also the same program that went out and paid what it took to get a championship coach.

In my opinion the administration has to figure out what is necessary in order to fill the stadium every week. Then they need to figure out how to price it so that it works. And then market it effectively

I think most price points would be very different to attend a game at a packed stadium with a raucous crowd as opposed to a half full stadium with fans sitting on your hands listening to obnoxious public address announcements and a mediocre band playing outdated music. Note: Just because something is a tradition it doesn’t mean that it’s any good.

Speaking of traditions listening to Fish and Suhr on the radio on Saturday had about the same intensity as a broadcast of A Prairie Home Companion. They tend to reflect the apathy of the crowd in the stadium. It’s also hard to get excited about watching a game on tv where the camera is so tight on the playing field that you can’t tell if it is a day or a night game.

Somehow attending an IU football game has to be transformed to a major event that can not be duplicated while watching a game on tv. Maybe live music and or beer tents. If there was an easy solution it would been implemented long ago.

In general giving things away can create an impression that something is not worth paying for. Except for free beer.;)

Or win three of the next four games.

Reactions: bang63
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT