ADVERTISEMENT

Article on OC candidates today

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’d love Wilson but he’s not leaving OSU. And we wouldn’t pay him what he demands anyway.

I’d love Litrell but I don’t think he’d take it. He’d be a great HC candidate IF Allen doesn’t work out. I don’t think he’d be interested in going back to OC.

Why cannot we think outside the box on this? People keep throwing around IU re-treads on this board.

Hire Wilson? Are we kidding?
That’s about as possible as Kurt Cobain and Prince recording a duet in 2019.
Al Borges or Steve Adazzio?

Brent Pease still floating around?
Hell - Dinardo is still available.

Kevin Johns is now looking for work after Texas Tech.

Werner is getting old too. We need a younger, innovative OC.
I agree, I'd like a guy no older than 40. & don't get your panties in a bunch older gentleman(I'm 47, so this applies to me too. I mean, me "also"), but kids seem to be increasingly enamored with younger coaches, to which they can relate on a personal, & even social level. Someone who understands 21st century...jargon, pop culture, etc. & clearly it makes a difference on the field ultimately, as a result.

Reactions: vesuvius13
Looks like Kevin Johns is a candidate for OC at Memphis.

Why cannot we think outside the box on this? People keep throwing around IU re-treads on this board.

Reactions: vesuvius13
I agree, I'd like a guy no older than 40. & don't get your panties in a bunch older gentleman(I'm 47, so this applies to me too. I mean, me "also"), but kids seem to be increasingly enamored with younger coaches, to which they can relate on a personal, & even social level. Someone who understands 21st century...jargon, pop culture, etc. & clearly it makes a difference on the field ultimately, as a result.

Fair point.........however, I think it does need to be someone who you trust with the entire O. I think the more CTA is involved there, the worse it will be.

Reactions: Chriselli

I'd rather have a guy who actually knows what he's doing versus "thinks" he knows.

I've been around enough youngsters who were certain that they knew it all, versus reality, that (based on those experiences) I'll always lean towards the more experienced guy when push comes to shove...

Experience does matter (in my opinion)...

You mean like Nick Saban and coach K since they are so young LOL! but still gets the best recruiting classes every year.

Reactions: IUPaterade724
All I've ever seen him say is that he wants a duel threat QB.......

My GUESS as to what he'd REALLY like is similar to what fkfootball says is Werner's approach--see post #13 on this thread. My guess would be that he'd prefer a bigger, tougher QB that could run 8-10 times per game effectively, and be accurate and smart with the ball. I think in many ways PR is his ideal guy, except that he's not physical enough and has a very weak arm. I bet PR's shortcomings are driving him crazy, because he's otherwise ideal.
I think everyone is claiming coach Allen wants a DT QB but what he says is he wants an accurate QB that defense have to account for if they take off and run. looking at Penix and Tuttle those are strong armed QBs with mobility instead of the lead footed Pro style QB.

Reactions: ESalum86 and 76-1
I'd rather have a guy who actually knows what he's doing versus "thinks" he knows.

I've been around enough youngsters who were certain that they knew it all, versus reality, that (based on those experiences) I'll always lean towards the more experienced guy when push comes to shove...

Experience does matter (in my opinion)...
Are you implying that young coaches don't know what they're doing? We just had an old one that didn't know what he was doing(not in contemporary terms, that is). Younger coaches tend to be in tuned to the current trends in play calling, & when you are not so(such as we've been the last 2 seasons), you suffer.

Last edited:
Reactions: Flooded Timber
Fair point.........however, I think it does need to be someone who you trust with the entire O. I think the more CTA is involved there, the worse it will be.
You are probably 100% correct about that. CTA wants to be a tough, pound the ball/grind out wins type of offense, & in this day & age especially, that is REALLY hard to win with. You just so limit your margin for error when you routinely embark on 15 play, 8 minute drives. Shortening the game is a double edged sword. You are in most games--but so are your opponents, even if you kick their asses up & down the field, they are often still within striking distance of you late in games.

Reactions: trailrunner
You are probably 100% correct about that. CTA wants to be a tough, pound the ball/grind out wins type of offense, & in this day & age especially, that is REALLY hard to win with. You just so limit your margin for error when you routinely embark on 15 play, 8 minute drives. Shortening the game is a double edged sword. You are in most games--but so are your opponents, even if you kick their asses up & down the field, they are often still within striking distance of you late in games.
I would rather have that type of offense than an offense that might be on the field for less than a minute and wear your defense out. It works pretty well for UW and Iowa and that is exactly how IU should build their program.

I would rather have that type of offense than an offense that might be on the field for less than a minute and wear your defense out. It works pretty well for UW and Iowa and that is exactly how IU should build their program.
But "that type" of offense can do both--slow it down, or go up tempo. You aren't necessarily out of a game of you get down 3 scores. Hence a much larger margin for error. Yeah it works for Wisconsin, & sometimes for Iowa, but I strongly disagree that that is how IU should build it's program, for reasons I've already stated. To each their own

Coach Allen wants an explosive offense in the run and passing game if you guys could read articles correctly. He wants an OC that produces both which is why he tried to get the OSU [Oklahoma State OC] which posters didn't read about. he doesn't want a power running game but a power running game that gains big yards. I am sick of the Coach Allen haters that make up stories instead of reading stories about what he really wants. I guess I should just ignore certain posters that just agree about the wrong thing coach Allen says he wants. The dink and dunk is about Ramsey as I broke down films how he bailed out of the pocket hen he didn't need too and how he missed open receivers in intermediate routes or deeper. People think the OL wasn't very good but Ramsey destroyed passing blocks many times; yes the OL missed blocks but not as often as it seemed. Get over the idea that coach DeBord and coach Allen wanted the offense Ramsey was able to do.

Coach Allen wants an explosive offense in the run and passing game if you guys could read articles correctly. He wants an OC that produces both which is why he tried to get the OSU [Oklahoma State OC] which posters didn't read about. he doesn't want a power running game but a power running game that gains big yards. I am sick of the Coach Allen haters that make up stories instead of reading stories about what he really wants. I guess I should just ignore certain posters that just agree about the wrong thing coach Allen says he wants. The dink and dunk is about Ramsey as I broke down films how he bailed out of the pocket hen he didn't need too and how he missed open receivers in intermediate routes or deeper. People think the OL wasn't very good but Ramsey destroyed passing blocks many times; yes the OL missed blocks but not as often as it seemed. Get over the idea that coach DeBord and coach Allen wanted the offense Ramsey was able to do.
Nailed it! I have a ton of recorded games and Ramsey did miss opportunities.

When Penix was in the psu game we had some crazy right on the hands drops. Those receivers were breaking out of their routes and BAM the ball was right there and they were in open in space. It was alarming. For a minute I thought it was the sun, but when you go back and watch its there WHEN its supposed to be there. They weren't used to that.

Hey V just out of curiosity where did you see that coach had contacted Yurcich or at least was interested in? He was a guy I had mentioned weeks ago but was really just wishful thinking on my part. I knew he was leaving OSU as he has fulfilled his obligation to Gundy?

"He doesn't want a power running game but a power running game that gains big yards". You wrote that--a fact which COMPREHENSIVELY eliminates any possibility of further discourse between the two of us. Yogi Berra would be proud.

Reactions: coachv jr
"He doesn't want a power running game but a power running game that gains big yards". You wrote that--a fact which COMPREHENSIVELY eliminates any possibility of further discourse between the two of us. Yogi Berra would be proud.
Good Lord its gonna be a long offseason!

Reactions: iueyedoc99
doesn't every coach want a power running game that gains big yards? guess you can throw in an explosive passing game, too

Reactions: iueyedoc99
Werner has had a lot of bad offenses over the years as OC at Miami, and as OC the first time at Ole Miss. Freeze is credited with the second go round. What about the guy from Ohio U. Coaches under a really good offensive mind for a long time. I also like Lebby from UCF. Canada would be a home run, but he's probably too high profile at this point.

Werner is old enough to make this a destination job and retire here. The young guys mentioned, with any success here will leverage their talent up the food chain. I really like Werner's offensive numbers and his record of success.
His numbers as Miami's OC was in the 60's in terms of offensive ranking. At Ole Miss the first time it was 100th and 90th in the country. His numbers were really only good under Freeze and I think Freeze was running the offense.

His numbers as Miami's OC was in the 60's in terms of offensive ranking. At Ole Miss the first time it was 100th and 90th in the country. His numbers were really only good under Freeze and I think Freeze was running the offense.

I suppose Saban was all wrong about him...
Doubtful...

Reactions: IUPaterade724

https://gamecocksonline.com/coaches.aspx?rc=492

"...at Alabama under Nick Saban. He spent the previous five years as the co-offensive coordinator/quarterbacks coach at the University of Mississippi under head coach Hugh Freeze.

In 2016, Ole Miss led the SEC in passing offense (314.9 yards per game), was third in total offense (464.3 ypg) and fourth in scoring offense at 32.6 points per game.

In 2015, Ole Miss set program records for scoring (531), touchdowns (68), total offense (6,731), passing yards (4,351), passing touchdowns (35), 50+ point games (4) and games with more than 600 yards of offense (3). The Rebels led the SEC and were top-10 nationally in scoring (40.8), total offense (517.8 ypg) and passing (334.7 ypg), garnering Werner his second nomination for the Broyles Award as the nation’s top assistant coach."

https://gamecocksonline.com/coaches.aspx?rc=492

"...at Alabama under Nick Saban. He spent the previous five years as the co-offensive coordinator/quarterbacks coach at the University of Mississippi under head coach Hugh Freeze.

In 2016, Ole Miss led the SEC in passing offense (314.9 yards per game), was third in total offense (464.3 ypg) and fourth in scoring offense at 32.6 points per game.

In 2015, Ole Miss set program records for scoring (531), touchdowns (68), total offense (6,731), passing yards (4,351), passing touchdowns (35), 50+ point games (4) and games with more than 600 yards of offense (3). The Rebels led the SEC and were top-10 nationally in scoring (40.8), total offense (517.8 ypg) and passing (334.7 ypg), garnering Werner his second nomination for the Broyles Award as the nation’s top assistant coach."
As I mentioned his offenses under Freeze were great, but Freeze was a former offensive coordinator and viewed as an offensive wizard. I think Freeze was the play caller too. I am not sure that was really Werner at the helm (although he may well have learned a little something under Freeze). Werner was OC under Orgeron (a defensive coach) at Ole Miss a few years before and was certainly running the offense and it was a disaster. It was also rough sailing when he was OC at Miami.

At best it's been a mixed bag. He's certainly a very good quarterback coach, but as an OC without Huge Freeze, Werner really struggled. Both his former coaches when he was OC got fired, and in four years as a D1 OC withouth Freeze as his head coach his average offenses were in the 70th to 80th range. The Freeze factor raises some questions.

Hey V just out of curiosity where did you see that coach had contacted Yurcich or at least was interested in? He was a guy I had mentioned weeks ago but was really just wishful thinking on my part. I knew he was leaving OSU as he has fulfilled his obligation to Gundy?
I saw it on the pay side of this site posted by Stu.

As I mentioned his offenses under Freeze were great, but Freeze was a former offensive coordinator and viewed as an offensive wizard. I think Freeze was the play caller too. I am not sure that was really Werner at the helm (although he may well have learned a little something under Freeze). Werner was OC under Orgeron (a defensive coach) at Ole Miss a few years before and was certainly running the offense and it was a disaster. It was also rough sailing when he was OC at Miami.

At best it's been a mixed bag. He's certainly a very good quarterback coach, but as an OC without Huge Freeze, Werner really struggled. Both his former coaches when he was OC got fired, and in four years as a D1 OC withouth Freeze as his head coach his average offenses were in the 70th to 80th range. The Freeze factor raises some questions.

https://olemisssports.com/coaches.aspx?rc=308&path=football

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT