ADVERTISEMENT

Anyone have any insight on Collin Miller?

Statey

Benchwarmer
Mar 3, 2014
This is the kid from HSA that announced he was going to make a commitment on his birthday a couple weeks back, then committed (somewhat surprisingly) the weekend beforehand to Purdue, and a few days later removed all his Twitter updates about committing to Purdue and started favoriting tweets about IU football. Apparently the GBI staff have tried to reach him to inquire, but he hasn't returned their calls. Seems possible he could be switching his committment to IU, or at the very least, still shopping around after committing to PU. Just curious if anyone had heard any rumblings of what might be happening there.

Last edited:
Matt / Josh - surely one of you guys have heard something on this right?
Just bumping this up. Saw Collin was favoriting some tweets about IUFB the past couple days. Any reason to believe he might be a future commit for Wilson?

Just bumping this up. Saw Collin was favoriting some tweets about IUFB the past couple days. Any reason to believe he might be a future commit for Wilson?

247 site (much better than Rivals BTW) has a crystal ball 100% to IU.

I saw where PU had 2 decommit in the last week. Jake Long was one of their higher regarded recruits, just flipped to West Virginia. Kids will verbal early and flip at the drop of a hat.

I saw where PU had 2 decommit in the last week. Jake Long was one of their higher regarded recruits, just flipped to West Virginia. Kids will verbal early and flip at the drop of a hat.
I'll be shocked if Miller ends up at Purdue. I am not 100% confident he will flip to IU, but I think he will flip somewhere.

I'll be shocked if Miller ends up at Purdue. I am not 100% confident he will flip to IU, but I think he will flip somewhere.

Also, there's a strong possibility Hazzell gets canned....... before October. Their OOC schedule is @Marshall, Ind St, VT, and Bowling Green. If things don't improve dramatically up there, they could easily have a 1-3 record on Sept 26, looking at being 2-3 TD underdogs (or more) the entire month of October and 20k attendance.

In which case, everyone is jumping ship.

Also, there's a strong possibility Hazzell gets canned....... before October. Their OOC schedule is @Marshall, Ind St, VT, and Bowling Green. If things don't improve dramatically up there, they could easily have a 1-3 record on Sept 26, looking at being 2-3 TD underdogs (or more) the entire month of October and 20k attendance.

There's a chance Hazell doesn't make it to 2016, though it would take a complete meltdown for that to occur. But he's not getting fired in September. There's no chance of that, unless he cheats, steals, or otherwise violates the law.

Last edited:
There's a chance Hazell doesn't make it to 2016, though it would take a complete meltdown for that to occur. But he's not getting fired in September. There's no chance of thT, unless he cheats, steals, or otherwise violates the law.

But what I described was a complete meltdown.

They wouldn't fire him 4 games in because there would be no advantage in doing so. Their best option would be to ride out at least most of the season. Firing a coach after the last regular season game would be the only thing that makes sense unless you want to seriously consider one of the assistant coaches. There will be no coaches available in the season and any new coach wouldn't change the system the already have going on anyways so there would be no point.

He won't be fired this year regardless of what he does (minus violating a law). He'll have at least two more seasons to turn it around, but the odds on him finishing his contract before they realize how bad of a coach he is is pretty low.

They wouldn't fire him 4 games in because there would be no advantage in doing so. Their best option would be to ride out at least most of the season. Firing a coach after the last regular season game would be the only thing that makes sense unless you want to seriously consider one of the assistant coaches. There will be no coaches available in the season and any new coach wouldn't change the system the already have going on anyways so there would be no point.

My thought process

2013 - perhaps the worst season in school history and one of worst seasons by any BT team since NW in the 80's

2014 - 3rd worst season for Purdue in the last 60 years - only ahead of 2013 and 1993

2015 - starting 1-3 including 2 losses to (albeit decent) non power conference teams, and considering upcoming schedule, almost guarantees a 1-7 start.

So in the face of what could see Hazell's 3 year tenure turning into 3 of the 4 worst seasons in the past 60 years, record low attendance, and recruiting that has never gotten out of the cellar with the new staff, there's no guarantee that Purdue's admin will act rationally. So "what makes sense" isn't guaranteed to happen.

Last edited:
My thought process

2013 - perhaps the worst season in school history and one of worst seasons by any BT team since NW in the 80's

2014 - 3rd worst season for Purdue in the last 60 years - only ahead of 2013 and 1993

2015 - starting 1-3 including 2 losses to (albeit decent) non power conference teams, and considering upcoming schedule, almost guarantees a 1-7 start.

So in the face of what could see Hazell's 3 year tenure turning into 3 of the 4 worst seasons in the past 60 years, record low attendance, and recruiting that has never gotten out of the cellar with the new staff, there's no guarantee that Purdue's admin will act rationally. So "what makes sense" isn't guaranteed to happen.

Our administration is notorious for waiting too long to fire coaches and don't ever make rash decisions like firing a coach after 2 or 3 years. I'd say there's less than a 1% chance he's fired for performance reasons this year. If we have a bad year, I could see one or both coordinators being let go but Hazell will get at least 4 years which would be all of this year and all of next year.

I'd give IU about the same chances of your meltdown scenario as the Boilers. Both programs are looking up from the bottom and I would not be surprised if Purdue goes bowling before our team. Keep this in mind when we show up unprepared in a couple of the non-conference games. It will be Wilson's head everybody is clamoring for, not Hazell's.

Reactions: boiledmeconium
I'd give IU about the same chances of your meltdown scenario as the Boilers. Both programs are looking up from the bottom and I would not be surprised if Purdue goes bowling before our team. Keep this in mind when we show up unprepared in a couple of the non-conference games. It will be Wilson's head everybody is clamoring for, not Hazell's.
Have you watched Purdue at any point over the last two years?

Reactions: turney333
Didn't Purdue almost beat Minn last year? I know their win loss record sucks, but they are also in the weaker division of the conference.

Didn't Purdue almost beat Minn last year? I know their win loss record sucks, but they are also in the weaker division of the conference.

Its not just their W/L record, they have also only rarely been competitive in games, the Minny game being one of the few exceptions. They even got blown out by a mediocre CMU team in W Laf.

I'd say the Minny game was less about PU playing well and more about Minny not be dialed in as that was a fairly unimpressive 3 game stretch for them (struggled against NW and PU, and lose to ILL).

Didn't they almost beat IU in Bloomington last year, leading for a good part of the game?

Its not just their W/L record, they have also only rarely been competitive in games, the Minny game being one of the few exceptions. They even got blown out by a mediocre CMU team in W Laf.

I'd say the Minny game was less about PU playing well and more about Minny not be dialed in as that was a fairly unimpressive 3 game stretch for them (struggled against NW and PU, and lose to ILL).

We were in it against both ND and MSU too.

Again, given how these things always play out, Purdue will be bowling before IU. Both teams could likely limp into that final game. I have watched Purdue the last couple of years and I can tell you that the personnel is about the same as IU's. They are likely a better contender because their defense is not Swiss cheese like ours. That is always the big factor: a defense that can keep you semi-competitive. IU simply hasn't reached that point consistently. Purdue has been better there.

Again, given how these things always play out, Purdue will be bowling before IU. Both teams could likely limp into that final game. I have watched Purdue the last couple of years and I can tell you that the personnel is about the same as IU's. They are likely a better contender because their defense is not Swiss cheese like ours. That is always the big factor: a defense that can keep you semi-competitive. IU simply hasn't reached that point consistently. Purdue has been better there.
Oh for God's sake.

I am soooo ready for football to be here, even if we are destined for 3 wins for the rest of eternity.

We were in it against both ND and MSU too.

I'll give you MSU, but no way on ND.

You were in for the first half against ND, and by the 4th quarter for all intents and purposes the game was out of reach. You had just over 50 yards in the second half before a late and futile drive with in the last 5 min (and only bring your total to 100 yards).

We were leading OSU in the 3rd quarter.

That's a dangerous road to go down.
Not really. OSU won that game decisively. IU came from behind and beat Purdue in the last minutes. BRCB is more correct than you're willing to admit.

Not really. OSU won that game decisively. IU came from behind and beat Purdue in the last minutes. BRCB is more correct than you're willing to admit.
That is true, but, we were playing a 175lb soaking wet freshman QB that had no business being out there and a RB with a broken foot. Bottomline, our "Swiss cheese" D , as described by BRCB , held PU to 16 points and we found a way to win with limited offensive firepower, let's not turn this into something it wasn't.

Reactions: IUPaterade724
That is true, but, we were playing a 175lb soaking wet freshman QB that had no business being out there and a RB with a broken foot. Bottomline, our "Swiss cheese" D , as described by BRCB , held PU to 16 points and we found a way to win with limited offensive firepower, let's not turn this into something it wasn't.

Holding our offense to 16 points isn't really something to brag about. After we lost Anthrop for the year, our offense was terrible.

I saw Purdue in person a few weeks before the IU game and their offense was horrid. Any win against Purdue is good, but let's not pretend that IU dominated them or that the program is somehow light years ahead of their's. They didn't and it isn't (at least it wasn't last year).

So IU's pathetic offense and team beat Purdue's pathetic offense and team - take a W any way you get it - excuses be damned - it's two buckets in a row and this year there is a great chance it will be three. As Joe Hillman said in 1987 for a slightly different reason - Bucket!

Oh come on!! 6 of one, half doezen of the other!! Did PU win at Missouri? We can play this all day.

I saw Purdue in person a few weeks before the IU game and their offense was horrid. Any win against Purdue is good, but let's not pretend that IU dominated them or that the program is somehow light years ahead of their's. They didn't and it isn't (at least it wasn't last year).
If you can show me where I said we dominated them or were light years ahead of them I would appreciate it. I said "we found a way to win with limited offensive firepower" , hence, if we had a Swiss cheese D that would have been difficult. While our D has certainly been nothing to write home about, objectively, it did appear to show signs of improvement last year. Whether that continues this year remains to be seen, it is time for some players to step up, and yes, the secondary will be a concern.
As far as PU goes, I will take our QB, OL, RB, DL and LB groups over theirs, I would take their secondary and call the WR groups a wash at this point, if Patrick is cleared to play I give us an overall edge there too. It doesn't make us "light years" better, but still better.

Reactions: turney333
If you can show me where I said we dominated them or were light years ahead of them I would appreciate it. I said "we found a way to win with limited offensive firepower" , hence, if we had a Swiss cheese D that would have been difficult. While our D has certainly been nothing to write home about, objectively, it did appear to show signs of improvement last year. Whether that continues this year remains to be seen, it is time for some players to step up, and yes, the secondary will be a concern.
As far as PU goes, I will take our QB, OL, RB, DL and LB groups over theirs, I would take their secondary and call the WR groups a wash at this point, if Patrick is cleared to play I give us an overall edge there too. It doesn't make us "light years" better, but still better.
You said "Let's not turn this into something it wasn't." What it was . . . Two pretty evenly matched teams where IU came from behind late to win after trailing for most of the game at home.

You said "Let's not turn this into something it wasn't." What it was . . . Two pretty evenly matched teams where IU came from behind late to win after trailing for most of the game at home.
Correct. I still have the game on my DVR & I've watched it several times. Other than the fact that we won, it was U G L Y. 2 bad teams.

Yes, that quote was in reference to a poster saying PU will bowl before us because they don't have a Swiss cheese defense like ours, and I disagree, never did I mention that made us into Rose Bowl contenders.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT