ADVERTISEMENT

Anybody believe that they can still salvage something here…

I haven’t talked to x himself, will do that probably tomorrow. But was told it was negative.
that's good to hear. The way he was screaming, I thought they might have to amputate right there on the court.
Was it his wrist, or arm? A bad wrist for a ball player is a tough one to deal with. Even for someone who shoots one-handed with his good wrist....

if it looks like it could happen, we are betting on 13-7 gets us in.
we need the Q1 wins more than the overall record. I know they go hand in hand at this point. But our 'quality wins' section of tourney resume remains blank.

And has there ever been a year when a B1G team finishes 4 games over .500 in conference (which would still be a stretch for the team), and then NOT get in the tourney? Hell I think Cheaney's frosh season (1990) IU got in with a B1G record of 8-10. Granted, the conf was loaded that year.

We always have a chance. It seems like the team is coming together. It takes times. CMW is learning about his team also. GO HOOSIERS

• Haha
Reactions: Nieman
we need the Q1 wins more than the overall record. I know they go hand in hand at this point. But our 'quality wins' section of tourney resume remains blank.

And has there ever been a year when a B1G team finishes 4 games over .500 in conference (which would still be a stretch for the team), and then NOT get in the tourney? Hell I think Cheaney's frosh season (1990) IU got in with a B1G record of 8-10. Granted, the conf was loaded that year.

In 2018 Nebraska went 13-5 and didn’t make it.

it's not blank, it's a big negative!

Here's the thing with this team, you will not convince me that between KW, MM, & MR....there's more than 1 or 2 teams in the entire B10 that have a more talented top three. Add in Good X and there's nobody with more talent IMO. Problem becomes getting them to fire on all cylinders and getting our Boneheaded coaching staff to change things up (including the atrocious perimeter D) and to put a consistent TEAM on the court.

IF and it's a huge if, they come together, I can certainly see us putting ourselves in a position to make the tournament. A very solid finish in the B10 and a run in the B10 tourney and we can have 3-5 quality wins added. With that said, I certainly wouldn't bet on it and unfortunately have serious doubts it will happen.

With that said, it nauseates me to have these kinds of lowly, pathetic expectations for the program at this point. Woodson shouldn’t have to be told that it’s an embarrassment.

I think Woodson is well aware. He knows Year 3 has been bad...but it's not over, I suppose.

We aren't making the tourney - I've accepted that. And THAT is nauseating...knowing another Selection Sunday is coming where we are out and Purdue gets a 1.

I am no b-ball mind, but the problems this team are having were predicted by half the board back in July. The construction of the team is all out of whack. Xavier Johnson, and I hate to kick a man when he's hurt, is Mr. Unreliable and should not have been invited back, and much like the Crean decision to sit Zeller for the last play versus Butler (LMFAO!!!!), Woodson's decision to retain XJ feels the same.

All this team needed was a capable guard w some leadership skills, and we're in the tourney.

The season can be mostly determined ahead of time once you get an idea how good the teams are.

For example, unless Minnesota is especially good, IU can get a road win there. But the probability of winning at the Kohl center has nothing to do with Mike Woodson's rotation, for example.

How many games IU can win has a lot to do with who and where they play, as well as injuries and things like turnaround time for both teams or whether a really good team is coming off a road loss.

IU hasn't given up, but I don't think that matters. They cannot win enough quality games to get in the tournament without turning a number of trends completely on their heads.

Looking at the schedule, and knowing that Iowa is now IU's best win for the entire season, it appears 4 wins more is reasonable to expect for a healthy team, and 5 would be a stretch goal. More than that would require real improvement. Have we seen evidence of improvement? Can IU win even two more without Johnson and Reneau?
There is some evidence of improvement. Mgbako is now merely a spotty defender, whereas at the beginning of the year he was an extinction level natural disaster defender. If he keeps improving we could be a different team. Everyone else D's up.

I am a little frustrated with Woodson though. Leal played great D on Iowas best player. And he can shoot. Our problems have been shooting and D. And he's just been sitting there. Not playing.

Mgbako is a willing rebounder and would be a capable small-ball pick and pop 4. That would also be an easier defensive assignment than chasing wings around. He should have gotten the Reneau treatment and been a bench rotation big this year while he learned to play D.

But, I'm not in practice. I guess Woodson saw them and hoped it would click for one of our many rangy athletic projects. Outside of a game or three, it hasn't.

Reactions: Bucket Getter
Here's the thing with this team, you will not convince me that between KW, MM, & MR....there's more than 1 or 2 teams in the entire B10 that have a more talented top three. Add in Good X and there's nobody with more talent IMO. Problem becomes getting them to fire on all cylinders and getting our Boneheaded coaching staff to change things up (including the atrocious perimeter D) and to put a consistent TEAM on the court.

IF and it's a huge if, they come together, I can certainly see us putting ourselves in a position to make the tournament. A very solid finish in the B10 and a run in the B10 tourney and we can have 3-5 quality wins added. With that said, I certainly wouldn't bet on it and unfortunately have serious doubts it will happen.
this team has talent. with a proven competent college coach this team could be very good. woody ain't that.

…or is this just a dead cat bounce? Surprisingly, I think I’m in the camp of believing that something can still be salvaged this season. With Ware back, I think the potential is there to make a late push for the tourney. Do I think they’ll make it? Absolutely not, but I think they’ll do enough to keep us engaged and interested down the stretch here as opposed to wallowing in an endless loop of despair and apathy for the rest of the season.

With that said, it nauseates me to have these kinds of lowly, pathetic expectations for the program at this point. Woodson shouldn’t have to be told that it’s an embarrassme
The Iowa win moved us from 96th to a 93rd NET ranking.

…or is this just a dead cat bounce? Surprisingly, I think I’m in the camp of believing that something can still be salvaged this season. With Ware back, I think the potential is there to make a late push for the tourney. Do I think they’ll make it? Absolutely not, but I think they’ll do enough to keep us engaged and interested down the stretch here as opposed to wallowing in an endless loop of despair and apathy for the rest of the season.

With that said, it nauseates me to have these kinds of lowly, pathetic expectations for the program at this point. Woodson shouldn’t have to be told that it’s an embarrassment.
Not really. We have had the worst luck the last decade or so with injuries. My guess is X is done and Malik being out even a short time is going to kill us. The older I’ve gotten, the better I’ve become at just enjoying the good moments.

Not having MR last night may have been a blessing in disguise. Forced us to play a lot more quickly in the post kick out game rather than forcing the post and pounding to the bucket repeatedly. Have to have an elevated XJ to truly have a shot, though, with AL giving us 15 mins a game
Why I was told x stinks and we do not need him.

Had our chances. Pulled out wins against Kansas and @Illinois and things look a lot different. Now pretty much dead man walking minus a miracle.
I mean yeah without any quality wins at all pretty hard to make the tourney. Heck Davis went 10-6 in the big ten one year and did not get in. You would have to beat purdue and wisconsin to even have a shot at getting in.

We barely beat Iowa on our own court after blowing a 17 point lead. If we’re so bad we come close to losing to Iowa at home without Malik, no, we aren’t that good. We’re lucky this game wasn’t @Iowa.
Iowa averages 84 a game and were heal to 68.
Defense can win games down the stretch.
GoHoosiers

• Angry
Reactions: Willdog7
I think Woodson is well aware. He knows Year 3 has been bad...but it's not over, I suppose.

We aren't making the tourney - I've accepted that. And THAT is nauseating...knowing another Selection Sunday is coming where we are out and Purdue gets a 1.

I am no b-ball mind, but the problems this team are having were predicted by half the board back in July. The construction of the team is all out of whack. Xavier Johnson, and I hate to kick a man when he's hurt, is Mr. Unreliable and should not have been invited back, and much like the Crean decision to sit Zeller for the last play versus Butler (LMFAO!!!!), Woodson's decision to retain XJ feels the same.

All this team needed was a capable guard w some leadership skills, and we're in the tourney.
I don’t think having X come back was the problem, I think not getting a good shooter in the portal and letting the scholarship go unused was the issue. Take a chance on someone! I was laughing at PU portal guy and he’s been awfully good for them.

I firmly believe (barring a miracle 9-2 finish) that the first ever IU conference tourney championship is the only remaining route to the NCAA tournament this season. It is possible the game last night could be what it takes for this team to finally come together and improve such that a run by conference tourney time is possible; particularly if Peeyoo should get upset before IU would match up with them in the conf tourney.

I haven’t talked to x himself, will do that probably tomorrow. But was told it was negative.
Thanks, we just need some good news to try and still navigate through the rest of the season on all our injuries. We absolutely need to find a way to win Saturday regardless of who plays.

I'll take a win..But in SSAH it should be.
But to say I'm warm and fuzzy about this team..Or the future..That's big no !
Go ahead and and say your pessimistic all the time..
We've seen this movie before. Not this year or next year. Is going to make Hoosier fans get excited...

I firmly believe (barring a miracle 9-2 finish) that the first ever IU conference tourney championship is the only remaining route to the NCAA tournament this season. It is possible the game last night could be what it takes for this team to finally come together and improve such that a run by conference tourney time is possible; particularly if Peeyoo should get upset before IU would match up with them in the conf tourney.
Really? After reading some of the comments after last night I thought we were headed to the final four now.

Obviously no way to tell yet. If what we can repeat is just a repeat of the last 2 games...I don't think we'll be able to win enough games to seriously challenge for an at large berth. To get serious consideration, we'll probably have to win 12+ conference games, AND have 2-3 Quad 1 wins.

Potential/Likely Quad 1 opportunities remaining: @OSU, @Purdue, Wisky, @Maryland, MSU... We could play solid like we have the last couple games, and lose all 5 of those games. But with a couple of them at home, and winnable road games against OSU and Maryland, I think winning 2-3 of these games is certainly possible.

The other games are: PSU, NW, Nebraska, @PSU, @Minny... This is where I think the challenge is likely too difficult. A handful of these games, despite not being Quad 1, are probably more difficult than some of the Quad 1 games. NW is a terrible matchup for us, I'll be surprised if we beat them. Nebraska isn't as good on the road as at home, but they showed that they're not a great matchup either. And winning at the Barn isn't ever easy, and they're playing better ball.

If we do only win 2 Quad 1 games, we'd essentially have to win out on the others. Just seems very unlikely, even if we continue to play solid ball.

That's the macro view, looking at the entire schedule.

Practically...last nights game has renewed some energy for me. It was a fun game to follow and watch, Leal coming on is something worth following, Ware is awesome, X potentially making yet another injury comeback...Lots of interesting story lines right now. So if we beat PSU, that only gets more interesting, and makes the OSU matchup huge, and worth watching.

Beat OSU...and the Purdue matchup will have that electricity that it should have.

We don't have to beat Purdue for it to keep the momentum going, just have a good showing and make a game of it.

Northwestern is a fun team to watch play. If we've won 3 out of 4 coming in, and played well against PU...this game will be interesting and much anticipated...The Hall will be rocking, etc...

Long winded way of saying I think last nights win opens the door for some more excitement this season, but I just can't fathom a path that leads to an at large bid...at this point.

Last edited:
Obviously no way to tell yet. If what we can repeat is just a repeat of the last 2 games...I don't think we'll be able to win enough games to seriously challenge for an at large berth. To get serious consideration, we'll probably have to win 12+ conference games, AND have 2-3 Quad 1 wins.

Potential/Likely Quad 1 opportunities remaining: @OSU, @Purdue, Wisky, @Maryland, MSU... We could play solid like we have the last couple games, and lose all 5 of those games. But with a couple of them at home, and winnable road games against OSU and Maryland, I think winning 2-3 of these games is certainly possible.

The other games are: PSU, NW, Nebraska, @PSU, @Minny... This is where I think the challenge is likely too difficult. A handful of these games, despite not being Quad 1, are probably more difficult than some of the Quad 1 games. NW is a terrible matchup for us, I'll be surprised if we beat them. Nebraska isn't as good on the road as at home, but they showed that they're not a great matchup either. And winning at the Barn isn't ever easy, and they're playing better ball.

If we do only win 2 Quad 1 games, we'd essentially have to win out on the others. Just seems very unlikely, even if we continue to play solid ball.

Practically...last nights game has renewed some energy for me. It was a fun game to follow and watch, Leal coming on is something worth following, Ware is awesome, X potentially making yet another injury comeback...Lots of interesting story lines right now. So if we beat PSU, that only gets more interesting, and makes the OSU matchup huge, and worth watching.

Beat OSU...and the Purdue matchup will have that electricity that it should have.

We don't have to beat Purdue for it to keep the momentum going, just have a good showing and make a game of it.

Northwestern is a fun team to watch play. If we've won 3 out of 4 coming in, and played well against PU...this game will be interesting and much anticipated...The Hall will be rocking, etc...

Long winded way of saying I think last nights win opens the door for some more excitement this season, but I just can't fathom a path that leads to an at large bid...at this point.
Just wait til we beat penn state at home. There may be talk of winning out.

• Haha
Reactions: Nieman and ulrey
The problem as I see it is....the steep climb of making the tournament makes for alot of wear and tear that otherwise would be so voluminous. Recalling IU's performance against St Mary's...a game that never should have been so one sided....and wouldn't have been if the team wasn't so spent at that point in time. We are working ourselves into the same scenario...if barely getting in...then spent in the process.

We always have a chance. It seems like the team is coming together. It takes times. CMW is learning about his team also. GO HOOSIERS
I'm not in a fire CMW state of mind...yet.
The team has been together since at least August. "CMW is learning about his team"?? Still??
If he is just now discovering the individual players' abilities he truly needs to go.

I'm not in a fire CMW state of mind...yet.
The team has been together since at least August. "CMW is learning about his team"?? Still??
If he is just now discovering the individual players' abilities he truly needs to go.
And if you think coaches aren't learning about their teams all of the way up until the very end of the season, especially teams with a lot of new parts, you're naive.

Reactions: asindc and Willdog7
The thing that scares me is this is college bball, there are always new parts coming in every year, especially in the portal era. I don’t buy that as a good reason to struggle.

Reactions: Hatchets7times
And if you think coaches aren't learning about their teams all of the way up until the very end of the season, especially teams with a lot of new parts, you're naive.
Yes, just listen to good ones like Coaches Izzo, Pearl, Beard, Self and a few others. There are plenty of flaws but still developing. Obviously, coach currently has a reason Banks is not seeing the floor for even a couple of minutes recently. Injuries can also have impact both good and bad in the development of the team.

Yes, just listen to good ones like Coaches Izzo, Pearl, Beard, Self and a few others. There are plenty of flaws but still developing. Obviously, coach currently has a reason Banks is not seeing the floor for even a couple of minutes recently. Injuries can also have impact both good and bad in the development of the team.
Those teams are top-25 and trying to develop into contenders.

We are ranked around 90 and trying to develop into being ranked 70-80 and ready for the NIT?

Again, IU has elite NIL and resources. I just don’t see why we are so far off.

Those teams are top-25 and trying to develop into contenders.

We are ranked around 90 and trying to develop into being ranked 70-80 and ready for the NIT?

Again, IU has elite NIL and resources. I just don’t see why we are so far off.
That wasn’t the point. it doesn’t matter what you’re fighting for, coaches are always learning more about their teams.

Reactions: Shuski and Willdog7

So losing the last three before giving up a 17 point lead and barely winning last night makes you think this team is coming together???

I have some swamp land in Arizona to sell you! 🤦‍♂️

So losing the last three before giving up a 17 point lead and barely winning last night makes you think this team is coming together???

They're quite obviously playing better basketball the last 2 games than they had been prior to that. There's more to the game than shooting, and they took one of the better teams in the conference to the brink, without arguably our best player, and without hitting a 3... Then they beat a team that has given us fits the last couple years, and did so by shutting down their biggest strength, which is outside shooting. Iowa adjusted well during the middle part of the game, and started pushing in transition, and attacking off the dribble. IU adjusted themselves the last quarter or so of the game, and pulled it out.

In a season where not a lot has been worth getting overly excited about...last nights game has given me some optimism and excitement for the next few games. Very glad for that.

Reactions: Hoosier Clarion

AL its about learning about your players under certain situations

• Haha
Reactions: Al Bino
I just want to see IU finish the season playing hard-nosed, sound and fundamentally well-played basketball that is entertaining. Don Fischer commented on a podcast last week that if IU doesn’t finish the season well, that is, ends up playing with the same weak effort and result, it will be a really bad thing for IU basketball going forward. Like some serious repercussions, negative to our mental well-being in value is how I sensed his verbiage. The NCCA tourney is but a pipe dream and the NIT the No Interest Tournament. Finish in a funk and we lose players, those current and those we hoping they come.

The Iowa game last night was very entertaining. They played hard against unexpected adversity, Liel made everyone happy for him and they won the damn game. However, it was a bittersweet victory for the three injuries. The remaining games just got tougher. This season has the makings to be made into a book, similar to “Season On The Brink”. It might be called something like “Snake-bit, The Season Gone To Sh*t.” If so, we’ll see if Don’s fears materialize. He may wish he had retired at his 50-year anniversary milestone.

OSU hasn’t been playing well. If they win at Iowa then Quad1 for us. If they get beat then likely Quad2. If they get smoked then almost certainly Quad2. They are very close to the cusp currently after the loss at home to Illinois by 12.

Every time I hear NFL players say THE Ohio State University I want to shoot my television.

Last edited:

We are currently 13-8, 5-5. The best I can see is finishing this season is 16-15, 8-12. Then the traditional first round bounce in B1G tourney to finish the glorious season off at 16-16.

Penn State - W
@OSU - L
@ Purdue - L by 35 pts
NW - L
Nebraska - W
@PSU - L
Wiscy - L
@Maryland - L
@ Minny - L
MSU - W

That wasn’t the point. it doesn’t matter what you’re fighting for, coaches are always learning more about their teams.
Glad someone else got my point thank you. I was not comparing IU to any of those teams just where we are at in this season. Right or wrong does not matter it is what it is.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT