ADVERTISEMENT

Anecdotal Reality - Fat Shots

I'm reading this after ordering my 2nd beer and a small pizza.

embarrassed game of thrones GIF
SHAME! SHAME! SHAME!

That’s generous of you. I have a buddy who does that with his pop and uncles. It’s his favorite trip. I’m going to Cincy in a few weeks with old teammates for an mls game, Colorado in June with the boys, and a kids trip later this summer to fla.

And in fairness I remember reading a few years back your camping posts. I wouldn’t want to tarnish your rep on a fly in canoe camp trip with a guy who gave up on an exact knife after two hours of trying

My luck itd be like the movie the edge
Or like the movie Deliverance..... :oops:

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: mcmurtry66
Oh, I disagree. The banjo - played by a product of incest - is essential to the ambiance.

'Squeal like a pig' just wouldn't be the same.
Weight limit on the float plane. Moving it all to mouth harps and harmonicas.

• Haha
Reactions: DANC
Weight limit on the float plane. Moving it all to mouth harps and harmonicas.
Going up on a float plane to fish and hunt was always on my bucket list. Now that I'm older, all my friends are old and don't want to, or can't, do it.

I spent a week at an Indian village up north of Lake Nipigon and all we did was fish all day. Then come back, clean the fish - Northern Pike - and eat like kings. But I was really young and didn't appreciate it.

It's great to go up there and just be alone with your thoughts in that beautiful part of the world.

I wrestled and I swam. Swimming is the hardest. One of my fellow swimmers had also done gymnastics, football, track and baseball, and he said conditioning for swimming was by far the hardest.
There is no doubt. We had practice from 6-7:30 AM, then 3:30-5 pm followed by weights from 5:15-6:15 pm. During Christmas breaks we swam 5-6 hours a day. Most every practice was hell. And there weren’t enough hours in the day to eat.

And college season started in August and didn’t end until late March or early April.

There is no doubt. We had practice from 6-7:30 AM, then 3:30-5 pm followed by weights from 5:15-6:15 pm. During Christmas breaks we swam 5-6 hours a day. Most every practice was hell. And there weren’t enough hours in the day to eat.

And college season started in August and didn’t end until late March or early April.
You’re playin in a pool. Then go eat a big pasta meal. Please. Now imagine this. Starving yourself to cut weight (nothin worse than being hangry) and ending up like this. And that’s your sport.

balls.jpg

You’re playin in a pool. Then go eat a big pasta meal. Please. Now imagine this. Starving yourself to cut weight (nothin worse than being hangry) and ending up like this. And that’s your sport.

balls.jpg
I was constantly starving as well. Just for the opposite reason.

And I wore a Speedo every day and was in a pool with 30 other guys in Speedos.

Back to the thread, below is a study on weight loss. The TL:DR is that almost all weight loss stops after 1 year of dieting, these drugs extend it to 2 years. In "normal" dieting there is this:

A kilogram is about 2.2 pounds. For every 2.2 pounds of weight participants lost, their appetite responded by asking for 83 more calories a day. The average weight loss reported in the study was 7.5 kilograms, or 16 pounds, which would mean that at their lowest weights, they were feeling the need to eat 622 more calories a day more than before they started losing weight.​
But they weren’t actually eating 622 more calories a day — instead, that’s the extra amount of appetite they were feeling, even as they’re putting in the same amount of effort as they did in the beginning to cut 800 calories a day.​

In "normal" dieting, the body responds by demanding more calories. It makes sense, it thinks you have been starving and wants you to eat more. Very much an evolutionary survival mechanism. It is why overweight people almost always yo-yo, and go back up higher than where they began.

It appears these drugs stop that from happening. The body doesn't start demanding 83 more calories per kg per day. That is why these drugs are thought to be forever drugs. I don't know if people are dropping the drugs after 5 years have been studied, it may be eventually the body grows happy with the weight it is at after some amount of time. But maybe not.

Plus Speedo’s

• Haha
Reactions: JamieDimonsBalls
Going up on a float plane to fish and hunt was always on my bucket list. Now that I'm older, all my friends are old and don't want to, or can't, do it.

I spent a week at an Indian village up north of Lake Nipigon and all we did was fish all day. Then come back, clean the fish - Northern Pike - and eat like kings. But I was really young and didn't appreciate it.

It's great to go up there and just be alone with your thoughts in that beautiful part of the world.
I probably have a few more solo canoe trips in my future before I stop going alone. You can't beat it.

L3h4VIq.jpeg

Yep. There was no break during Christmas break. Only days we didn’t have practice was Christmas Day and New Year’s Day.

Reactions: Noodle

That's what makes me want to steer my daughter away from competitive swimming, in particular.

Back to the thread, below is a study on weight loss. The TL:DR is that almost all weight loss stops after 1 year of dieting, these drugs extend it to 2 years. In "normal" dieting there is this:

A kilogram is about 2.2 pounds. For every 2.2 pounds of weight participants lost, their appetite responded by asking for 83 more calories a day. The average weight loss reported in the study was 7.5 kilograms, or 16 pounds, which would mean that at their lowest weights, they were feeling the need to eat 622 more calories a day more than before they started losing weight.​
But they weren’t actually eating 622 more calories a day — instead, that’s the extra amount of appetite they were feeling, even as they’re putting in the same amount of effort as they did in the beginning to cut 800 calories a day.​

In "normal" dieting, the body responds by demanding more calories. It makes sense, it thinks you have been starving and wants you to eat more. Very much an evolutionary survival mechanism. It is why overweight people almost always yo-yo, and go back up higher than where they began.

It appears these drugs stop that from happening. The body doesn't start demanding 83 more calories per kg per day. That is why these drugs are thought to be forever drugs. I don't know if people are dropping the drugs after 5 years have been studied, it may be eventually the body grows happy with the weight it is at after some amount of time. But maybe not.

That's positive, minus the permanent reliance.

I'm still pessimistic the rapid prescription of these products to treat weight loss. It reminds me of what happened with SSRIs, ADD/ADHD medication, etc. Require a lifelong subscription from users is expensive and risky. That doesn't mean for many they aren't superior to the alternative of overweight implications, but putting a foreign substance in your body for many years isn't natural and one shouldn't expect not to start witnessing long-term health implications (e.g., kidney and liver failure).

That's positive, minus the permanent reliance.

I'm still pessimistic the rapid prescription of these products to treat weight loss. It reminds me of what happened with SSRIs, ADD/ADHD medication, etc. Require a lifelong subscription from users is expensive and risky. That doesn't mean for many they aren't superior to the alternative of overweight implications, but putting a foreign substance in your body for many years isn't natural and one shouldn't expect not to start witnessing long-term health implications (e.g., kidney and liver failure).
It may be the lesser of two evils. Like DANC, I recently was asked to go on it for A1C. I can say that for me it has had a massive impact on hunger, so I can see how it works for weight loss. I suspect many of the users are diabetic or pre-diabetic so these are people who are already on or looking at lifetime drugs. Hopefully we can gatekeep to stop the healthy people wanting to lose 7 pounds away. But we know doctors are aware some patients will just go elsewhere to get what they want and prescribe anything to keep a customer.

I bet Spartan has a good idea of how risky these drugs are. I know thyroid cancer is a risk.

It may be the lesser of two evils. Like DANC, I recently was asked to go on it for A1C. I can say that for me it has had a massive impact on hunger, so I can see how it works for weight loss. I suspect many of the users are diabetic or pre-diabetic so these are people who are already on or looking at lifetime drugs. Hopefully we can gatekeep to stop the healthy people wanting to lose 7 pounds away. But we know doctors are aware some patients will just go elsewhere to get what they want and prescribe anything to keep a customer.

I bet Spartan has a good idea of how risky these drugs are. I know thyroid cancer is a risk.

Makes sense. To be Frank, the idea sounds appealing to me. I’ve definitely built a dad bod over the last few years with three young kids and the constant snacking.

I wonder if it will affect me as much. I don’t generally eat out of feeling hungry but more out of enjoyment. Taste and smell are my two stronger senses, so food has always appealed to me (minus what I find repulsive) even if I am not hungry. I get some sort of hormonal pleasure secretion from it (how’s that for a setup?).

Makes sense. To be Frank, the idea sounds appealing to me. I’ve definitely built a dad bod over the last few years with three young kids and the constant snacking.

I wonder if it will affect me as much. I don’t generally eat out of feeling hungry but more out of enjoyment. Taste and smell are my two stronger senses, so food has always appealed to me (minus what I find repulsive) even if I am not hungry. I get some sort of hormonal pleasure secretion from it (how’s that for a setup?).

I am the same way, food comforts me. I know I ate because it made me feel better, probably endorphins. The thing is, now, I just don't want to eat except when hungry. And hunger doesn't come too quickly.

I have an old middle school friend who hates eating, always said he wished he never had to eat. To this day he is rail thin. Maybe unrelated, but he has had a lot of health issues. The happy medium is hard to come by.

I am the same way, food comforts me. I know I ate because it made me feel better, probably endorphins. The thing is, now, I just don't want to eat except when hungry. And hunger doesn't come too quickly.

I have an old middle school friend who hates eating, always said he wished he never had to eat. To this day he is rail thin. Maybe unrelated, but he has had a lot of health issues. The happy medium is hard to come by.
I have a lifelong friend who played D1 and on the youth Olympic teams. Got up to 300 lbs. did juicing. Every meal. Lost 100 pounds in 100 days. Not great for diabetics but for others if you have the discipline there are ways to get back to your base weight fast. Once you are there it is easier to maintain. Starting is always the hardest. But people want quick fixes like drugs. I hope they don’t ruin it for those who truly need it.

I wouldn't trade any minute of it. I wouldn't be where I am today without it.

Did you ever feel like you sacrificed some of your childhood though? That's my biggest concern. From a physical, health, mental and team perspective, I'd be all about it.

That's what makes me want to steer my daughter away from competitive swimming, in particular.
It’s tough. I was in swimming for the fun, boys and social aspect. I was the sub if someone was sick. They even made me work hard and it’s always early in the morning.

The biggest risk I think is stomach paralysis. ( not official name)

There are different levels of competitiveness, like all other sports. Your YMCA should have a youth team, which my kid had good luck with. There are a lot more serious clubs, but burnout is a real thing with youth swimming. I just want my one kid to be active. My other kids to other stuff.
When he was in 7th grade i challenged him to a 50meter IM. I didn't even get to the third stroke. It is just a great sport for kids that don't really have any interest in bball, soccer, fball...

We are seeing very good results with regards to A1C. With almost anything you have to weigh risks vs benefits. Diabetics and morbidly obese are the proper patients.

I wouldn't trade any minute of it. I wouldn't be where I am today without it.
I concur. I'm wasn't a college level swimmer like you, I couldn't afford not to work in the summers and do AAU and I started as a Freshman (fastest rookie, so I got that going for me). However, it was great for my physical fitness which carried over through my Navy years for the most part as I ran and swam to keep in shape. Mostly it taught me discipline. Also directly related to my military and civilian years.

Reactions: JamieDimonsBalls
Did you ever feel like you sacrificed some of your childhood though? That's my biggest concern. From a physical, health, mental and team perspective, I'd be all about it.
No. Not really. I was still able to participate in other sports (football, basketball, soccer) at a rec level through about 6th grade. I also took music lessons and played in the orchestra through 8th grade. In high school I participated in extracurricular activities (e.g., photographer for yearbook and newspaper). So I'm not really sure what I missed out on.

Perhaps I would feel differently had I not continued swimming in college (and beyond). I don't know.

There are different levels of competitiveness, like all other sports. Your YMCA should have a youth team, which my kid had good luck with. There are a lot more serious clubs, but burnout is a real thing with youth swimming. I just want my one kid to be active. My other kids to other stuff.
When he was in 7th grade i challenged him to a 50meter IM. I didn't even get to the third stroke. It is just a great sport for kids that don't really have any interest in bball, soccer, fball...

It's a great life skill, even if you don't make it in college, etc. She's already in a youth team, but it's already 2-3 days per week and that's excluding competitions.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT