ADVERTISEMENT

Anchor Steam

I didn't use to think that innovation was all that important in brewing beer, which we have done since basically forever. But a former IU grad school chemist classmate of mine left a pharma job years ago to go into brewing. I still see him every now and then. He's now in charge of R&D for a craft brewery. He regularly goes to beer shows to see what's hot. I guess he not only has to come up with new flavors but also is always learning about tweaks to any parts of the process that affect product quality in a positive way. From variations in hops breeding and sourcing, to capping technology, to better exclusion of light and air, and other factors.
Change isn’t necessarily innovation. New Belgium recently changed its iconic Fat Tire recipe such that it is a different beer. Different packaging too. Fat Tire was always a little too much in the sweet side for me. The new Tire is less hoppy, therefore a little sweeter, seems like more carbonated, and lighter in colir. I think it is trying to muscle in on all the brewed seltzer products that have increasing market share.

Meanwhile, other New Belgium products keep chugging along. I like their 1554 the best.

I didn't use to think that innovation was all that important in brewing beer, which we have done since basically forever. But a former IU grad school chemist classmate of mine left a pharma job years ago to go into brewing. I still see him every now and then. He's now in charge of R&D for a craft brewery. He regularly goes to beer shows to see what's hot. I guess he not only has to come up with new flavors but also is always learning about tweaks to any parts of the process that affect product quality in a positive way. From variations in hops breeding and sourcing, to capping technology, to better exclusion of light and air, and other factors.
The liquid is always evolving. Lagers are 80% of the beer consumed today. Ales 20%. 200 years ago lagers barely existed. English IPA then American IPA then West Coast IPA and now Hazy IPA. The only stout you could get 50 years ago was Guinness. Hard seltzer didn't exist 7 years ago and now it's like an 8 share of total beer/fmb. Breweries should always be searching for the next fad.

Same for marketing. Even if you have a massive iconic brand, you're constantly needing to innovate in marketing. In my opinion it's as important as the liquid itself. Their is a real paradox of choice for the consume right now. 57 channels and nothing on man. You have to stand out.

Literally grew up on Anchor Steam...mid-nineties my Dad's beer fridge was Pilsners from Europe, Bud light, and Anchor Steam. Just a great tasting beer.......kind of like Sierra Nevada's Pale Ale.....nothing fancy, just tastes great.

I quickly thought how much would it take it to purchase it, and it looks like the real estate is close to 8X-10X the value of the business. You would have to move the company, or just sell the recipe/brand. I wouldn't be surprised if a brewery tried to buy the recipe/brand.

FWIW, i saw that you were named #1 on the water cooler's most valuable......i am coming for your #1 spot
El Drado, been meaning to contact you. Keep your eyes open on your inbox. An exciting investment opportunity you do NOT want to miss. McM's got more details.

There have been a lot of new hop varieties come on the market in recent years. I also think that beer styles have become more and more trend driven, meaning craft breweries need to stay on top of the latest styles and how to brew them. Lately, I am suddenly seeing a lot of Mexican lagers from craft breweries, and (thankfully) sours seem to be fading a bit. There are also some very niche beers such as cold IPAs. Also, the dominance of IPAs seems to be on the downswing, in the sense that it seems to be a smaller % of a most brewery's output than it was, say, 5 years ago. There is no reason a brewery should have 10 of their 12 beers be IPAs. Make 2 or 3 great ones and put out a variety of other styles.

Case in point, check out the variety at this local brewery (which has won Very Small Brewery of the Year twice at GABF): https://www.brinkbrewing.com/drinks
I keep telling the guys at Narrow Path, in Loveland, that they need to have their great Oktoberfest beer available all year round. They now have a Scottish ale out. Have to try it, maybe yet this evening.

I’m so tired of everything being an IPA or a sour.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT