ADVERTISEMENT

A good QB needs to be brought in via the portal

td75

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Aug 16, 2003
With Penix's decision to transfer, Allen really needs to hit a homerun on a QB transfer. Tuttle hasn't shown me that he can perform consistently enough to win games and he's injury prone. He was downright lousy in the game I attended versus MSU. He threw a terrible pick 6 and he couldn't see wide open receivers.

Indiana needs DYNAMIC QB play, period. Penix was VERY dynamic when healthy and he won a bunch of games. Tuttle hasn't shown that trait and Williams is a big mystery. We need a strong kid out of the portal at this position.

I am not saying Tuttle is the answer for sure, but I do think had he had more time before MSU and yes, better OL play and OC guidance, he has potential. Think his arm is strong and the opening drive vs OSU showed me something even standing in to throw the TD pass before getting crunched (bc OL was so porous!)

I also think Hoover sounds like a Drew Brees type player. You don’t throw that many yards and TDs in Texas 6A without being good.

I think McCully can be better than he looked this year. The schemes and play calls were off the rails by then. (How many QB draws can they expect him to run in a row?)

That said, if a top QB prospect (from a GA or OSU) or a starter looking for a new home is interested IU should take a look as a Penix slot replacement.

I am not saying Tuttle is the answer for sure, but I do think had he had more time before MSU and yes, better OL play and OC guidance, he has potential. Think his arm is strong and the opening drive vs OSU showed me something even standing in to throw the TD pass before getting crunched (bc OL was so porous!)

I also think Hoover sounds like a Drew Brees type player. You don’t throw that many yards and TDs in Texas 6A without being good.

I think McCully can be better than he looked this year. The schemes and play calls were off the rails by then. (How many QB draws can they expect him to run in a row?)

That said, if a top QB prospect (from a GA or OSU) or a starter looking for a new home is interested IU should take a look as a Penix slot replacement.
Hopefully McCulley will get coached up and actually grow into his lofty rating. I had high hopes for that kid but he was lost out there under the lousy Sheridan scheme.

Now we find ourselves pining for the next freshman; the next big thing. At some point, Tom Allen MUST develop a QB capable of playing winning football. I think Sheridan really hurt the development of the QB room.

This new OC hire is going to probably decide the fate of the Allen era at Indiana. If he can hit a triple, the future looks bright. A standard single won't do the trick.

The OL is the issue. Not QB room. If Tuttle stays and Hoover ends up signing they probably won't take a QB transfer. Need a new OL coach and about 4 transfer ins.
If you were present at the IU/MSU game, you would know how lousy Tuttle played. There were times when receivers were open and he didn't see them. The oline was certainly a problem, but there's more to it than that.

We had a dynamic Michael Penix that when healthy, won lots of games behind this line...Something doesn't add up.

Reactions: DANC and vesuvius13
Getting a QB coach better than coach Sheridan will make a big difference in our QBs and how they play. I hope Bell does a great job with QBs and Bell at least doesn't different formations and pass plays. Its not fair to judge our QBs under coach Sheridan as his record at IU compared to IU under DeBoer as QB coach wasn't good for QB techniques and completion rates.

Last edited:
I believe the biggest weakness of NS was being the QB coach. He certainly was overwhelmed being OC when challenged each week by poor results from the game from the week before. Not seasoned near enough to handle the desperate offensive situation at IU in the B1G. Not enough experience to have answers or be a problem solver. At least the new OC owns OC experience and much of it from fairly big programs. That flat out leads me to believe QB coaching gets better.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT