ADVERTISEMENT

A Bison Sideline Mascot

I should probably read the articles that have been posted upthread. I hope I'm not blowing sunshine about the owl.
It appears the Owl is legit. As is a raccoon. lol

I can see how the Owl came about with the Hoooooosiers. But a raccoon? I guess going for a backwoods nature type mascot.

The string of temporary mascots started with an owl in 1908 (Hoo, Hoo, Hoo, Hoosiers!) and was shortly followed by a raccoon in 1909. Then-athletic trainer “Bernie” Bernstein’s toddler son represented Indiana in 1912, and a golden eagle nicknamed Jim Watson served a stint in 1916. Lack of support from students and fans alike put an end to their brief mascot careers.

I just dont see the need for one and I don't hear the vast majority of people screaming for it either. This is such a weird discussion.
We don't have a need for a football team at all. Plenty of colleges get by without one. But if we are going to have one people are supposed to come watch, then let's go do it.

I suppose maybe the issue with candystriping the endzone is that it's hard to figure out where the end zone ends and the sideline begins, if they are both white. Gotta be a solution for that though.

Reactions: vesuvius13
We don't have a need for a football team at all. Plenty of colleges get by without one. But if we are going to have one people are supposed to come watch, then let's go do it.

I suppose maybe the issue with candystriping the endzone is that it's hard to figure out where the end zone ends and the sideline begins, if they are both white. Gotta be a solution for that though.
black border

I think they just leave a strip of green grass between the Candy Stripes and out of bounds. That’s what Tennessee does with their checkerboard. Love the Candy Stripe idea.

I think they just leave a strip of green grass between the Candy Stripes and out of bounds. That’s what Tennessee does with their checkerboard. Love the Candy Stripe idea.
0637df127d485234cfd4e78366619832.jpg

I bet when it was shown there was a large segment that was wondering why or probably assumed it was somehow related to the state of Indiana. Trust me. I am old, 48, and have followed IU football since Anthony Thompson and I only know of the Bison because of this board. Outside of this board, and Nicks, I would have zero context.
I believe there's one on the state seal, fwiw.

I didn't say mid 80s. I said the 19 and aughts, with the aughts being a poke at your old timer fixation about the bison and fans. I said I never heard it in the mid 80s. You need to either pay attention to this thread or your meetings. 😁
Never. I prefer to be not fully attentive both her and in my current meetings. And I am not lying. I am in a meeting right now. lol.

In a previous thread about this subject, I submitted for IU to become the Yaks. Yaks are a similar bovine animal that resemble bison. I think there are more Yaks in Indiana per capita now than Bison. Plus IU fans like to yak alot!

lg_2024_638403499684555984.jpg
No fake. I yak on almost every Saturday afternoon when I realize I just wasted 4 hours of a nice Fall day only to routinely get Charlie Brown’d.

Last edited:
I'm gonna throw out a new mascot idea....

How about a folding chair!... It's not a football thing but it is a symbol many associate with IU...

Easy to display... no need to be fed.... Won't stink on hot days like a paper mache head would..... Each cheerleader could hold one up during cheers... or throw.... if they prefer...

Just a thought. Whadda y'all think....

Last edited:
I'm gonna throw out a new mascot idea....

How about a folding chair!... It's not a football thing but it is a symbol many associate with IU...

East to display... Each cheerleader could have their own.... they could hold it up during cheers... or throw.... if they prefer...

Just a thought. Whadda y'all think....
Sounds like an idea dreamed up by an ISU grad....... lol

If you want to remain in a power conference and actually be part of the future of college sports, you need a football team.
Football drives everything today. Basketball is merely riding shotgun.
Yes, there are schools that have only basketball and the Olympic sports but they are nothing in the grand scheme of things.
If you want IU to become a Marquette or Ivy Tech, by all means, get rid of football.
At that point, get rid of the basketball program since they have had such poor history for 30 years.

I’d rather have a large raging man wearing a red sweater waiving his arms wildly while stalking the sideline.

Reactions: IU_Hickory
Not true. Old timers loved it but the student section always watched in confused silence. I'm probably in the minority on this site, but that video was always awful and cheesy. The bison really does not connect with IU. A mascot doesn't have to be a thing - it can just be a costumed human character. A Hoosier, afterall, is a human.
Count me in as one of the old timers who loved the pregame buffalo stampede through the streets of Bloomington, into Memorial Stadium. I always tried to make it to my seat in time for the video. The majority of the student section wasn’t filled at that time and I don’t recall ever getting the sense the student section was in anyway confused by it such that they sat on their hands in stupefied silence, not being sure what the true meaning behind it was. BTW, a human character is just as much a thing as anything else. Come on, Man!

Yea, too small of stripes and it may all blend together. I guess the stripes could go longways — may look cool with a few long stripes vs many stubby ones. Who knows.
I've personally not seen a version I like. Always seemed to me the candy stripes need to stay in Assembly Hall. I don't much care for the baseball uniforms that have stripes either.

Don't call them candy stripes then. Instead they're awesome looking renditions of school colors and school pride.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT