ADVERTISEMENT

50 solutions proposed on Fox in a 24 hr period...

cosmickid

Hall of Famer
Oct 23, 2009
So it's hard to navigate all of the multiple pages in other threads, so I thought I'd give people a centralized thread to choose your favorite Fox proposal(s) and highlight why you think it would work to solve this uniquely American problem of gun violence in public places. So here is a suggested ground rule- you have to explain how the issue discussed is uniquely an American problem (for example eliminating video games) and consequently why that isn't an issue anywhere else in the world?

Not quite as catchy as Paul's classic "50 ways to leave your lover", but it seems to represent the best and brightest on Fox giving their valued input. Kind of amazing how in every single one of the "solutions" there isn't a single mention of the actual weapons involved. And as far as I can tell none of them seem to explain how other countries manage to avoid the same level of violence without having to resort to one of these proposed "solutions". So depending on which one (or more) of these solutions strike your fancy, that might end up being a follow up folks want clarification on...

I'll give you an example of what I mean. A few folks took issue with my mentioning that a central point of entry would be a fire hazard. That seems to be a popular choice and is somewhere on this list. So my first follow up point would be that the Topps store in Buffalo basically had a single point of entry, and the first person the gunman encountered was the armed security guard who was unable to prevent him from walking in and murdering people shopping for groceries...I think there was an armed security guard killed initially or very early on at that C&W bar in CA a few years back as well. But that might be faulty memory on my part...

And a further point for consideration, for someone inclined to choose locked doors. Does turning schools into armed fortresses actually solve the inherent problem?

Let's say the next deranged mass killer wants to kill a bunch of school kids, and his optimum choice is to sneak in an unguarded door. But somehow he knows that there is no way in but the front door, and it's guarded so he has to alter his plan. He's intent on killing kids, so he decides that a "lesser" option is to find a spot outside the building where he can wait until school lets out and masses of kids and even parents are making their way to school busses or cars. So kids and parents are happily leaving school at the end of the day, totally unaware that a killer is lurking outside the moment they step out from the "safety" of their fortified school building...

Does that strike you as unlikely? If so, take a look at the evolution of mass killings in this country over the past 50 or so years. Do you really think "locked doors" are the panacea to ending this plague? Do you really think that the people who plan these events for whatever twisted reasons they might have, aren't going to be able to adapt once they've secured their weapon of choice? The Ramos kid worked a job he hated at Wendys until he was able to save up $4000 to make his dream come true. In reality, had he encountered a locked door that day it might have just postponed the inevitable, aside from the fact that he decided to practice on Granny first...

Anyway here's the supercut of the choices proposed and who proposed them. The second link shows them all compiled on the screen simultaneously, in case the video moves too fast to choose...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT