ADVERTISEMENT

30 for 30…..

ESPN needs to do a 30 for 30 on how to kill a Giant.
“The IU basketball story”
Maybe then some people would be held accountable for the piss poor managing of one of the best basketball programs in NCAA history.
You do it, you've been plotting it out in your mind for at least a couple years. Don't think ESPN does any of the 30 for 30s, think they are all independently made. Might be commissioned or financed from ESPN.

Hate all the whining and negativity. One correct hire and IU will be ascending again and can quickly if we get the right guy.

You do it, you've been plotting it out in your mind for at least a couple years. Don't think ESPN does any of the 30 for 30s, think they are all independently made. Might be commissioned or financed from ESPN.

Hate all the whining and negativity. One correct hire and IU will be ascending again and can quickly if we get the right guy.
You have been stating same opinion bud. IU has made one good hire in 35 years. Sampson and that fell a part.

If it becomes clear a change is being made the whining and negativity will explode. The folks that are in hibernation will come back and be like sharks in the water joining all those who were early on their Woodson criticism. Happens every time: apologists turn.

As for your second statement: maybe. Unfortunately time has crushed this program. If we are to ascend as a program we will be starting at a much lower point. Has the program ever been this in the dumps? The longer the program has been down, the tougher it is to recover.

Is Nebraska football just the “right guy” away from being elite?

I’d like to share your optimism.

Has the program ever been this in the dumps?
yes. Check out the 8 years or so prior to RMK's arrival: 4 of 6 seasons below 500. RMK had us in the F4 in his second year, WITHOUT NIL or the portal and in an age when coaches didn't generally bring any players with them. I'm not predicting a F4 in 2 years, but I believe if we had the right person in place next year we could immediately be above 500 and in the tourney in year 2 and back on a path that leads to a F4.

Nebraska football? No idea, and don't care: apples to ostriches comparison. 20+ starters and 70+ man roster to 5/13. Again, if you want to depress yourself, be my guest, but it doesn't have to take long to get us revived and resuscitated and there are numerous examples of this at programs without the advantages of an IU.

If it becomes clear a change is being made the whining and negativity will explode. The folks that are in hibernation will come back and be like sharks in the water joining all those who were early on their Woodson criticism. Happens every time: apologists turn.

As for your second statement: maybe. Unfortunately time has crushed this program. If we are to ascend as a program we will be starting at a much lower point. Has the program ever been this in the dumps? The longer the program has been down, the tougher it is to recover.

Is Nebraska football just the “right guy” away from being elite?

I’d like to share your optimism.
The Nebraska comparison is made quite often. The difference IMO is that in the Nebraska football heydey, they were pulling lots of fast skill players from CA. I doubt those days are ever coming back. Whereas IU basketball success was mostly built on Indiana, Illinois, and Ohio recruits. Those are still available with the right coaching staff.

yes. Check out the 8 years or so prior to RMK's arrival: 4 of 6 seasons below 500. RMK had us in the F4 in his second year, WITHOUT NIL or the portal and in an age when coaches didn't generally bring any players with them. I'm not predicting a F4 in 2 years, but I believe if we had the right person in place next year we could immediately be above 500 and in the tourney in year 2 and back on a path that leads to a F4.

Nebraska football? No idea, and don't care: apples to ostriches comparison. 20+ starters and 70+ man roster to 5/13. Again, if you want to depress yourself, be my guest, but it doesn't have to take long to get us revived and resuscitated and there are numerous examples of this at programs without the advantages of an IU.
I agree you can’t compare football and basketball, due to the number of players (offense, defense, special teams).

depressed? No, apathetic.

Nebraska had some permanent shifts in football that hurt them. Recruiting changed, etc.

I don’t see anything wrong with IU except a bunch of bad coaching hires and results. All the resources are there, it’s like a fast car we just need the right driver.

ESPN needs to do a 30 for 30 on how to kill a Giant.
“The IU basketball story”
Maybe then some people would be held accountable for the piss poor managing of one of the best basketball programs in NCAA history.
There several other outlets than ESPN that I'd rather see that story done by.

The Nebraska comparison is made quite often. The difference IMO is that in the Nebraska football heydey, they were pulling lots of fast skill players from CA. I doubt those days are ever coming back. Whereas IU basketball success was mostly built on Indiana, Illinois, and Ohio recruits. Those are still available with the right coaching staff.
Not to mention you probably have to get 20+ players to see much of a change in football. In bball, if you have kids that buy in, you can change your fortunes with 3-5 guys. And yes, I'd think recruiting to Nebraska for fball players is going to be much harder than to IU for bball.

Last edited:
Reactions: IUbball_lifer
Not to mention you probably have to get 20+ players to see much of a change. In bball, if you have kids that buy in, you can change your fortunes with 3-5 guys. And yes, I'd think recruiting to Nebraska for fball players is going to be much harder than to IU for bball.
The Nebraska example only works because IU and Nebraska are powerhouses that fell.
Nebraska is going to be harder to rebuild than IU. They were good when you saw more Power football offenses and they could get big OL/Dl types and didn’t need as many freak athletes.
Now they have to recruit for spread offense and to defend spread offense and they struggle to get the skill positions.

The Nebraska example only works because IU and Nebraska are powerhouses that fell.
Nebraska is going to be harder to rebuild than IU. They were good when you saw more Power football offenses and they could get big OL/Dl types and didn’t need as many freak athletes.
Now they have to recruit for spread offense and to defend spread offense and they struggle to get the skill positions.
joining the B1G was a huge mistake for Nebraska footballwise.

I guess not. @kkott is liking other guys post and posting his unhappiness but I’m not allowed to. Guess I was right all along and he doesn’t like that.
It's not that, it's the constant bitching and moaning, about every facet of IU basketball. You posted in a thread titled something like "Depaul, Gtown, Lville, and IU" that Lville could rebound but don't even acknowledge IU could. And you rarely do. It's the non-stop negativity and complaining. See the difference? There's nothing wrong with acknowledging that we're having a bad year, and playing and getting beaten in ways that make you think we need a change. But at least acknowledge the good: the history, the fanbase, the school, NIL, and coaches recognize that... Heck, listen to Bruce Pearl talk about IU: he recognizes the benefits, and if contacted, I think he'll seriously weigh can he do more at IU than at Auburn? Sure sounds like he's thought about it. The only program you say good things about is Purdue and you become more like them every day, imo. Now easily butt hurt and offended, just like the PU guys who post here. Go Boilers.

Last edited:
It's not that, it's the constant bitching and moaning, about every facet of IU basketball. You posted in a thread titled something like "Depaul, Gtown, Lville, and IU" that Lville could rebound but don't even acknowledge IU could. And you rarely do. It's the non-stop negativity and complaining. See the difference? There's nothing wrong with acknowledging that we're having a bad year, and playing and getting beaten in ways that make you think we need a change. But at least acknowledge the good: the history, the fanbase, the school, NIL, and coaches recognize that... Heck, listen to Bruce Pearl talk about IU: he recognizes the benefits, and if contacted, I think he'll seriously weigh can he do more at IU than at Auburn? Sure sounds like he's thought about it. The only program you say good things about is Purdue and you become more like them every day, imo. Now easily butt hurt and offended. Go Boilers.
I mentioned Louisville because I dont have faith in IU admin making a good hire. They are what 0-5 since Knight? Maybe 1-4 if you count Sampson…great coach but bad decisions at Iu. Louisville I think will take a guy like Chris Beard. IU must land a Bruce Pearl type to change this pattern of hires for Iu.

I mentioned Louisville because I dont have faith in IU admin making a good hire. They are what 0-5 since Knight? Maybe 1-4 if you count Sampson…great coach but bad decisions at Iu. Louisville I think will take a guy like Chris Beard. IU must land a Bruce Pearl type to change this pattern of hires for Iu.
so, here are their coaches since Pitino, who's stint ended in a mess: David Padgett, Chris Mack, Mike Pegues and Kenny Payne. 5 coaches across 7-8 years and that inspires more confidence in them than IU? We had a winner in Sampson but I don't fault them for letting them go. In Archie we got one of the most desirable young coaches out there (I fault them for not doing a more thorough search, imo, something I hope like hell they do this time!). I think Crean was thought of as a good hire at the time. Woodson to me was the only reach. With what we can pay, I think we can and should find a great coach. I wouldn't give you so much sh*t if I thought you really wanted that, and acted like it.

Dumb

so, here are their coaches since Pitino, who's stint ended in a mess: David Padgett, Chris Mack, Mike Pegues and Kenny Payne. 5 coaches across 7-8 years and that inspires more confidence in them than IU? We had a winner in Sampson but I don't fault them for letting them go. In Archie we got one of the most desirable young coaches out there (I fault them for not doing a more thorough search, imo, something I hope like hell they do this time!). I think Crean was thought of as a good hire at the time. Woodson to me was the only reach. With what we can pay, I think we can and should find a great coach. I wouldn't give you so much sh*t if I thought you really wanted that, and acted like it.
I wouldn’t complain about IU admin if I didnt want it. If I hated IU I would want them to keep Woody and keep losing lol.
Louisville I have more faith because I think they will go get a big name this time. Mack wasn’t a bad hire much like our Sampson hire…had some issues but that stuff is legal now.
Pegues And Padgett were 1 year guys from the Mack fallout.
Payne has been the only true bad full time hire

Last edited:
I wouldn’t complain about IU admin if I didnt want it. If I hated IU I would want them to keep Woody and keep losing lol.
Louisville I have more faith because I think they will go get a big name this time. Mack wasn’t a bad hire much like our Sampson hire…had some issues but that stuff is legal now.
But you're more harsh about Sampson than you are about Mack. You're holding Indiana to a higher standard than you do Louisville in this example.

At the time, Mack was a good hire. Just like Crean, Sampson and Archie were (mostly) good hires when they happened. People had legit doubts about Sampson being a good hire for the off the court stuff that he was already in trouble for.

So I'd say that Indiana, at the time of the hire, has gotten it right more than Louisville.

The crap Sampson and Co did will never be “legal” at IU and I am not talking about three way phone calls.

Reversible Jacket guy will never ever understand that. Another reason to trade one of your jacket colors to old urine…

But you're more harsh about Sampson than you are about Mack. You're holding Indiana to a higher standard than you do Louisville in this example.

At the time, Mack was a good hire. Just like Crean, Sampson and Archie were (mostly) good hires when they happened. People had legit doubts about Sampson being a good hire for the off the court stuff that he was already in trouble for.

So I'd say that Indiana, at the time of the hire, has gotten it right more than Louisville.
Yes and no….Miller much like a Dusty May, was a 2 year success at a smaller school.
Crean had his Wade run but a lot of people had doubts on his coaching ability….which were exposed at IU. Great ambassador of the school though.
Mack I’m not bullish on, that entire situation was a shit show. But he is a good coach

The crap Sampson and Co did will never be “legal” at IU and I am not talking about three way phone calls.

Reversible Jacket guy will never ever understand that. Another reason to trade one of your jacket colors to old urine…
Just stop..I’m speaking legal as of now NIL, Player contact etc..
As for Sampson…you think Houston has a shot to win it all?

Just stop..I’m speaking legal as of now NIL, Player contact etc..
As for Sampson…you think Houston has a shot to win it all?
You will never understand what We are concerned about.

And I could not care less about Sampscum or any school that accepts his trash

Yes and no….Miller much like a Dusty May, was a 2 year success at a smaller school.
Crean had his Wade run but a lot of people had doubts on his coaching ability….which were exposed at IU. Great ambassador of the school though.
Mack I’m not bullish on, that entire situation was a shit show. But he is a good coach
Miller was much more than a 2-year success at Dayton. 4 tournaments in a row. They'd been to 4 tournaments in the previous 21 years. 2 regular season championships...which means not fluke runs late in the year, but honest to god championships over the course of the season.

Crean got Marquette to 6 tournaments in 9 years....they'd been to 4 in the previous 16 years. Majerus never got them to a tournament. Wade was only there 2 of those years.

Miller was much more than a 2-year success at Dayton. 4 tournaments in a row. They'd been to 4 tournaments in the previous 21 years. 2 regular season championships...which means not fluke runs late in the year, but honest to god championships over the course of the season.
Yeah I will give you 4 years..I think he gained his notoriety off the elite 8 appearance

Crean got Marquette to 6 tournaments in 9 years....they'd been to 4 in the previous 16 years. Majerus never got them to a tournament. Wade was only there 2 of those years.
Miller was who Ahia wanted before we took him. They ended up with Holtmann who many here wrung their hands about not taking.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT