ADVERTISEMENT

“Hoosier Huddle” post-PSU podcast is blistering.

Radio Zero

All-Big Ten
Dec 9, 2019
Yoknapatawpha County
Definitely worth a listen. I’m only ten minutes in and they’re calling to account the entire program, from the AD down.

And no, host Sam Jacobs (who works in the booth with Don and Rhett during games as the statistician) has no confidence in Dolson finding a replacement (as if that’s an actual possibility), stating that he doesn’t trust an IU guy hiring for the position.

“30,000 diehard IU fans deserve better.”

A question: Jacobs said in 1994 that IU could have gone to the Motor City Bowl but the athletic department chose not to in order to save money. IS THIS CORRECT? 😡

I’m sure it’s been discussed here before, but I don’t remember, and I don’t remember what happened all those years ago in a pre-internet age, when WOWO out of Fort Wayne was essentially my connection to IU football.

A question: Jacobs said in 1994 that IU could have gone to the Motor City Bowl but the athletic department chose not to in order to save money. IS THIS CORRECT? 😡

I’m sure it’s been discussed here before, but I don’t remember, and I don’t remember what happened all those years ago in a pre-internet age, when WOWO out of Fort Wayne was essentially my connection to IU football.

Considering that 1997 was the first year for the Motor City Bowl, I doubt that happened.
Either the year or the bowl is incorrect.

IU was bowl eligible after the '94 season but was never offered a bowl game... there were fewer bowls back then.....

At that time the Big 10 had only 4 bowl contracts but teams could go to another bowl, IF OFFERED.....

OSU went to the Citrus Bowl
Wisconsn to the Hall Of Fame Bowl
Illinois to the Liberty Bowl
Michigan to the Holiday Bowl
Penn State to the Rose Bowl...............................................

IU was the loser in that one but I don't believe the IU Athletic Department turned down offers,... because there weren't any offers to turn down. I could be wrong but that's how I remember it.

... I think Jacob is thinking that even though IU could have pursed a bowl they decided it was in their best interest not to.... I don't believe there were any bowls who showed real interest so it wouldn't have made any difference

Last edited:
Considering that 1997 was the first year for the Motor City Bowl, I doubt that happened.
Either the year or the bowl is incorrect.

IU was bowl eligible after the '94 season but was never offered a bowl game... there were fewer bowls back then.....

At that time the Big 10 had only 4 bowl contracts but teams could go to another bowl, IF OFFERED.....

OSU went to the Citrus Bowl
Wisconsn to the Hall Of Fame Bowl
Illinois to the Liberty Bowl
Michigan to the Holiday Bowl
Penn State to the Rose Bowl...............................................

IU was the loser in that one but I don't believe the IU Athletic Department turned down offers,... because there weren't any offers to turn down. I could be wrong but that's how I remember it.

... I think Jacob is thinking that even thought IU could have pursed a bowl they decided it was in their best interest not to.... I don't believe there were any bowls who showed real interest so it wouldn't have made any difference
Thanks for a quality reply.

Yes, I remember the days when a bowl bid was something for which you held your breath.

I may have misheard what Sammy said … on the other hand, prima facie, I didn’t find the story unbelievable in the least, sadly enough.

Thanks for a quality reply.

Yes, I remember the days when a bowl bid was something for which you held your breath.

I may have misheard what Sammy said … on the other hand, prima facie, I didn’t find the story unbelievable in the least, sadly enough.
He definitely said they turned down a bowl bid to save money.

Reactions: Radio Zero
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT