ADVERTISEMENT

Zizkov: Why is there a universe? Why are there laws of nature?

Can't give you a good answer......

but certainly interesting to ponder.

I more enjoy looking at more social things that effect my life based on people choices, but I have been on a space documentary kick lately.

So I have been learning a lot about information about your first question.

I find these question far more interesting then celebs and beer.

humans are the only ones who ask why.

Nothing else gives a shit.

Do you know anything about Chamomile tea?

Good for your health? And I'm not talking about some strain :D

That's not really what I meant.

I know why I'm here. I won the sperm lottery. The Big Question I find most interesting is why, during the time I am here, do I have a subjective experience of the universe at all?

It's the rare question that I think may be unanswerable by science and will forever be left to the realm of philosophy.

Easy... consciousness is an evolutionary advantage*

x

some would say so is a belief in a supernatural deity.

Some of whom are atheists, in fact.

I don't think that's obvious.

How we react to stimuli is certainly important for our evolutionary success. But I don't think it's obvious that the fitness of such reactions should at all be affected by whether or not we are aware of them.

goat

Then it's a genetic mutation if not advantage.

And personally I do think it's an advantage without getting into debate.

So?

As far as I'm aware, evolution is supposed to be about reproduction, not intelligence. Though, one could argue that humans now control their own evolution due to consciousness. And second, not every mutation is beneficial toward evolution/propagation of the species.

Great.

You think it's an advantage but either can't or don't want to bother to explain why. Fine.

Look, as far as we can tell, every human is self-aware, and experiences the universe subjectively. It's likely other animals do, as well, although it's hard to test - maybe impossible.

For every human to be self-aware suggests one of two things:

1. Self-awareness is itself advantageous.
2. Self-awareness is a necessary (and benign*) emergent phenomenon that arises from some other trait that is itself advantageous.

The problem is this. The first possibility lacks both empirical support and any convincing hypothetical justification. The second not only lacks the same, but may not even be testable. The entire concept of emergent phenomena is often used as a sort of mathematical God in the gaps, and this is certainly true when it comes to consciousness.

goat

* Or, if not benign, at least disadvantageous to an extent less than whatever advantage its source confers.

I'll skip #1 for now...

Even on #2 perhaps neither trait provides an advantage, but both occurred due to random mutation and due to variance survived in spit of being less advantageous. Keep in mind that human populations were quite "small" and on the verge of extinction for quite sometime.

So you think consciousness might be the result of genetic drift.

That's certainly plausible. Not very satisfying, but that's really only because of the importance we place on being conscious, as opposed to, say, hair color.

Still, we know the genetic basis for hair color. We have no understanding of what the genetic basis for consciousness might be.

I didn't know the term, but yup.

That's probably not my theory, but it's one possibility. I think consciousness is mostly tied to intelligence. There are varying levels of consciousness amongst animals due to intelligence I presume. I'm sure in the not too distant future we will have a genetic basis for consciousness.

To my original question: Why is there a universe? (I doubt we may ever have THE answer)
This post was edited on 1/4 3:53 PM by toastedbread

There are many theories on the evolution of intelligence.

Not sure I get your gist.

As for your original question, IMHO an equally apt question is: how could there not be a universe?

There are 7 Billion humans and 700K chimps. Do the math. *

x

No responsive to my point. Ants have their own advantages. So what?*

F

Re: My view is it's because you were made in the image of God. nt

So god is humanlike, yet he/she waited nearly 14 billion years to make things in his own image?

This post was edited on 1/4 6:29 PM by UTFO

An extension of the anthropic principle.

In the case of any universe that may or may not exist, we can only be here to ponder its existence if it does, in fact, exist. Therefore, to even ask the question requires the universe to exist by necessity.

goat

This doesn't answer all your Q's, but it is interesting

The jist of The theory being that life exists for the sole purpose of dispersing energy. Entropy.
Very interesting.

Entropy.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT