ADVERTISEMENT

Ziz (or anyone else), thinking of going to Prague.

crimsonlaw

Hall of Famer
Feb 5, 2003
The wife and I are thinking of going somewhere in Europe for about a week at the end of October. Is a week in Prague too long?

Trying to figure out whether we want to do one city like Prague or Istanbul or do two cities like Madrid and Barcelona. Thoughts?

I talked to a guy from Berlin at the bar on Saturday in Chicago. He said that Prague used to be a shithole but had recently upgraded and is a really cool place that is cheap to visit. His other comment was Warsaw Poland was the same way.

He was an interesting cat. He said his credit card was overdrawn so he had to call a cab when when he bought a round of shots he had a roll of $100's.

I talked to a guy from Berlin at the bar on Saturday in Chicago. He said that Prague used to be a shithole but had recently upgraded and is a really cool place that is cheap to visit. His other comment was Warsaw Poland was the same way.

He was an interesting cat. He said his credit card was overdrawn so he had to call a cab when when he bought a round of shots he had a roll of $100's.
That's a Kerouac last sentence, dude.

The wife and I are thinking of going somewhere in Europe for about a week at the end of October. Is a week in Prague too long?

Trying to figure out whether we want to do one city like Prague or Istanbul or do two cities like Madrid and Barcelona. Thoughts?

I like Istanbul, but I'd be hesitant to give Erdogan a penny right now. Go to Tokyo!

A week is probably too long for Prague, but there are other cool places to visit close by. A few days in Prague, a couple days in Cesky Krumlov and maybe a daytrip to one of many cool villages or castle could be easily done without a lot of time spent traveliing. Vienna is not too far if you want to visit two cities, same for Berlin.

All the places you mentioned are cool places to visit.

Reactions: crimsonlaw

Germans talking about visiting Prague and Warsaw ... Am I the only one?

If you want to do two, I'd vote for Vienna. It's about a four hour train ride. A week is a good amount of time to do both cities. I do love Madrid and Barcelona too, though. You couldn't go wrong either way.

We did Prague and then Budapest over nine days and it was a great trip. I loved Prague, but a week would be too long in my opinion. Two cities is ideal, and Budapest is a good option because you may never be that far east again. We took a train through Slovakia which was really interesting to me. Other good options via train could be Berlin or Munich and you could fly anywhere else in Europe easily. We went to Greece this summer and it was one of my favorite vacations ever. Have you been to other cities in Europe?

We did Prague and then Budapest over nine days and it was a great trip. I loved Prague, but a week would be too long in my opinion. Two cities is ideal, and Budapest is a good option because you may never be that far east again. We took a train through Slovakia which was really interesting to me. Other good options via train could be Berlin or Munich and you could fly anywhere else in Europe easily. We went to Greece this summer and it was one of my favorite vacations ever. Have you been to other cities in Europe?

I've been to London about 7 or 8 times, Bath, Paris, Madrid, None, Turin, Milan, Rome, and Brussels. I'm going to Munich early next year.

I looked at doing Prague with Budapest, but we've only got one week and one weeks seems too short for those two cities. We're also considering Amsterdam. But a week in Amsterdam seems way too long too. But with that city, I've heard doing the normal sightseeing stuff will take 3 or 4 days. Then we have a couple of days to just hang out or go outside of Amsterdam for a day trip.

Budapest and Istanbul are really high on the list, so I'm confident that we'll be back out that far in the future.

I've been to London about 7 or 8 times, Bath, Paris, Madrid, None, Turin, Milan, Rome, and Brussels. I'm going to Munich early next year.

I looked at doing Prague with Budapest, but we've only got one week and one weeks seems too short for those two cities. We're also considering Amsterdam. But a week in Amsterdam seems way too long too. But with that city, I've heard doing the normal sightseeing stuff will take 3 or 4 days. Then we have a couple of days to just hang out or go outside of Amsterdam for a day trip.

Budapest and Istanbul are really high on the list, so I'm confident that we'll be back out that far in the future.
Gotcha. When I think of a week I include two weekends for 8-9 days total including flights, so you could cover both cities easily with 3 full days in one and 4 days in the other. We normally pick two cities for the one work week bridging two weekend trips, but some people feel rushed which I totally get. Amsterdam is great and I would rather spend a full week there than plenty of other European cities, but that's just my personal preference. Plus it's really easy to fly in/out of from the states. On the other hand, it sounds like you've seen a lot of Western Europe, so maybe an Eastern trip would be a change of pace. You're probably going to have a connecting flight in Germany which may be something to consider. Anyway, wherever you pick I hope you have a great time.

I went to Munich in May (along with Salzburg, Neuschwanstein, Wurzburg, Nuremburg, Dachau and Rothernburg ob der Tauber). Munich was terrific. I would make sure to see the Glockenspiel play, make sure to go to Asamkirche, the Residenz, Englischer Garten, and Nymphenburg. Also, you can get to Salzburg in an hour and a half by train and I would go down to Neuschwanstein if you have the time. I was over there for a long time so we saw a ton and it was amazing.

Gotcha. When I think of a week I include two weekends for 8-9 days total including flights, so you could cover both cities easily with 3 full days in one and 4 days in the other. We normally pick two cities for the one work week bridging two weekend trips, but some people feel rushed which I totally get. Amsterdam is great and I would rather spend a full week there than plenty of other European cities, but that's just my personal preference. Plus it's really easy to fly in/out of from the states. On the other hand, it sounds like you've seen a lot of Western Europe, so maybe an Eastern trip would be a change of pace. You're probably going to have a connecting flight in Germany which may be something to consider. Anyway, wherever you pick I hope you have a great time.

Yeah, we often do that too. But this time we're going Wednesday to Wednesday. It's kind of a trip thrown together. I think we're going to do Amsterdam. If we get board, it sounds like we can do a day trip outside the city. I definitely want to do eastern Europe, and will almost certainly do so in the near future. Istanbul, Budapest, Prague are very, very high on the list.

I went to Munich in May (along with Salzburg, Neuschwanstein, Wurzburg, Nuremburg, Dachau and Rothernburg ob der Tauber). Munich was terrific. I would make sure to see the Glockenspiel play, make sure to go to Asamkirche, the Residenz, Englischer Garten, and Nymphenburg. Also, you can get to Salzburg in an hour and a half by train and I would go down to Neuschwanstein if you have the time. I was over there for a long time so we saw a ton and it was amazing.

I hope I get some time to see a lot of the city. I'm going for work, so it will likely be tough to see much outside of Munich. Germany hasn't been very high on my list of countries to visit. Maybe the work trip to Munich will change how I feel about the country.

Yeah, we often do that too. But this time we're going Wednesday to Wednesday. It's kind of a trip thrown together. I think we're going to do Amsterdam. If we get board, it sounds like we can do a day trip outside the city. I definitely want to do eastern Europe, and will almost certainly do so in the near future. Istanbul, Budapest, Prague are very, very high on the list.

I hope I get some time to see a lot of the city. I'm going for work, so it will likely be tough to see much outside of Munich. Germany hasn't been very high on my list of countries to visit. Maybe the work trip to Munich will change how I feel about the country.

Outside of Prague (obviously) I have spent the most time in Amsterdam and Paris. A week is too long for Amsterdam as well, unless you plan to be a full on stoner. Prague has as much or more to do then Amsterdam. I love Amsterdam, but after Van Gogh, Anne Frank and general town exploration, you are out of stuff to do. Especially in late October.

I'm sure there are interesting towns around to visit, so you can do that for a day or so.

If you haven't been to Amsterdam, then I would recommend it, it's a great town, but I would recommend a two town visit for sure. There are very few European cities that merit a full week.

Paris may be the only one. Some might argue Rome, but I begin to hate that place after 2-3 days.

I would do one of the following:

Madrid - Barcelona
Prague - Vienna (although I think Vienna is very overrated, many like it)
Prague - Berlin

One thing to note is that it is really cheap to fly one way in Europe and you could pick any two cities and fly between them cheaply and pretty much anywhere in less then two hours.

So you could go to Amsterdam and Prague or any two destinations. You could do Prague - Dubrovnik and see to great and very different places. There are limitless combinations by flying and it is usually cheaper then taking the train (at least in Western Europe).

Most well known flight sites don't include the cheap airlines. You have to know where to check to find the best deals,

Another handy site is Rome to Rio, it shows all modes of transport with rates:

http://www.rome2rio.com/

Outside of Prague (obviously) I have spent the most time in Amsterdam and Paris. A week is too long for Amsterdam as well, unless you plan to be a full on stoner. Prague has as much or more to do then Amsterdam. I love Amsterdam, but after Van Gogh, Anne Frank and general town exploration, you are out of stuff to do. Especially in late October.

I'm sure there are interesting towns around to visit, so you can do that for a day or so.

If you haven't been to Amsterdam, then I would recommend it, it's a great town, but I would recommend a two town visit for sure. There are very few European cities that merit a full week.

Any experience with The Hague? At a conference there in 2 weeks and will spend 4 nights. Hitting some of the key tourist sites (really looking forward to the Escher Museum), but looking for suggestions for good clubs, good food, interesting neighborhoods, etc. Closing with a day in Amsterdam. Thanks.

It wasn't on mine either, but my family decided to go and I went along. It was awesome. In Munich definitely see Asamkirche, Schloss Nymphenburg (one of the largest palaces in the world), Feldnerhalle (where Hitler was arrested) and have a beer at the Hofbrauhaus.

Paris may be the only one. Some might argue Rome, but I begin to hate that place after 2-3 days.

I would do one of the following:

Madrid - Barcelona
Prague - Vienna (although I think Vienna is very overrated, many like it)
Prague - Berlin

One thing to note is that it is really cheap to fly one way in Europe and you could pick any two cities and fly between them cheaply and pretty much anywhere in less then two hours.

So you could go to Amsterdam and Prague or any two destinations. You could do Prague - Dubrovnik and see to great and very different places. There are limitless combinations by flying and it is usually cheaper then taking the train (at least in Western Europe).

Most well known flight sites don't include the cheap airlines. You have to know where to check to find the best deals,

Another handy site is Rome to Rio, it shows all modes of transport with rates:

I think we're going to do Amsterdam. A big reason is that it's much easier to get to from Indiana. Only one layover rather than two.

It looks like we could do the sightseeing stuff at a comfortable pace for 3/4 days. We'll just hang out the other two days. The thought of flying in Europe bugs me. You lose so much time when you fly (time getting to the airport and time getting back). When I've gone from city to city, I've picked places based on taking the train.

I've heard wonderful things about Vienna.

I'm going to have to give more thought to Prague; what other city to pair it with. I was leaning to Vienna.

Any experience with The Hague? At a conference there in 2 weeks and will spend 4 nights. Hitting some of the key tourist sites (really looking forward to the Escher Museum), but looking for suggestions for good clubs, good food, interesting neighborhoods, etc. Closing with a day in Amsterdam. Thanks.

I have never been there and from those that I know that have, say is kind of boring. I'm sure there are things to do, but I can't help you there. I'm sure the Escher Museum is great, I'm a fan and have been to other Escher exhibits before.

Do some research and find the popular local hang outs, every town has them and you will have more fun there. Hit the tourists sights, but avoid the tourists bars, they always suck, no matter what town.

I have never been there and from those that I know that have, say is kind of boring. I'm sure there are things to do, but I can't help you there. I'm sure the Escher Museum is great, I'm a fan and have been to other Escher exhibits before.

Do some research and find the popular local hang outs, every town has them and you will have more fun there. Hit the tourists sights, but avoid the tourists bars, they always suck, no matter what town.

Yeah, cities we like we usually do two things. First trip we go crazy and hit all the sights we're supposed to see as tourists. The second and any followup trip we try to hang out like locals would.

I was afraid you'd say that (boring). Probably explains why it's pretty cheap. Good news is I'll fly in to Paris, travel to Berlin (never been to either), and close with a day in Amsterdam.

I think we're going to do Amsterdam. A big reason is that it's much easier to get to from Indiana. Only one layover rather than two.

It looks like we could do the sightseeing stuff at a comfortable pace for 3/4 days. We'll just hang out the other two days. The thought of flying in Europe bugs me. You lose so much time when you fly (time getting to the airport and time getting back). When I've gone from city to city, I've picked places based on taking the train.

I'm going to have to give more thought to Prague; what other city to pair it with. I was leaning to Vienna.

Don't get me wrong, I love Amsterdam. There are some great things to see and it's just a great place to walk around. It's so much better in the summer because they have great parks like Vondelpark. I'm sure there are cool towns around to visit, so filling a week would be easy.

Prague can be done in 3 full days for the most part. There is plenty to do, but if you are just looking to be a casual tourist and enjoy your time, then 3 days is perfect.

The nice thing is there are plenty of easy day trips to take and Cesky Krumlov is a great place to spend a day or two, especially for a couple away on their own. It's amazingly beautiful and very laid back with a fun night life.

You can't go wrong with any of your options. Eastern Europe is much, much less expensive, but if you are planning a week trip then that may not be a huge issue and you will pay a bit more to fly there.

I was afraid you'd say that (boring). Probably explains why it's pretty cheap. Good news is I'll fly in to Paris, travel to Berlin (never been to either), and close with a day in Amsterdam.

Don't get me wrong, every city as something to see, so don't go to The Hague expecting a bad time.

All the other cities on your list are great, so you will have plenty to do.

Munich, by far. Amsterdam and Munich and Prague. That's all you need.

Skip Berlin and Vienna, unless you're into art museums.

I've never been there but my understanding is that Kiev is considered by many to be the most beautiful city in the world if you like to see pretty women. Just ask Joe Biden.

Last edited:
Munich, by far. Amsterdam and Munich and Prague. That's all you need.

Skip Berlin and Vienna, unless you're into art museums.
Berlin is like no other if you know how to navigate the nightlife scene. (and you're interested in nightlife of course) I had one of the best weeks ever there. I'm glad I visited at the age I did, and I'm glad the friend I was with spoke fluent German. It probably wouldn't be as fun if I went back.

Berlin is like no other if you know how to navigate the nightlife scene. (and you're interested in nightlife of course) I had one of the best weeks ever there. I'm glad I visited at the age I did, and I'm glad the friend I was with spoke fluent German. It probably wouldn't be as fun if I went back.

I've heard mixed things about Berlin. I have heard that the night scene is insane. I've heard that it's a city that brings out weird feelings because of the old East Germany aspects of it.

I hated Berlin. I can confirm def. the best place for leather and dungeons.

I hated Berlin. I can confirm def. the best place for leather and dungeons.
Being one of the most liberal cities in the world will attract the freaks and it's not a place for everyone. Some people go there and see Brandenburg Gate, Checkpoint Charlie, The Wall and then say the food sucks and then leave. The best parts of the city are the less developed areas(East) and grit makes some people uncomfortable. I did not seek out the leather and dungeons, but it's certainly there if that's your thing. There are plenty of hot girls from all over Europe there. I could never re-create the week I had in my twenties, so I may never return. It would be way different now that I'm a little older, and we saw all of the historical stuff the first time around. Too many other places to see. My friend is trying to convince me to run the Berlin marathon with him but phack that.

Being one of the most liberal cities in the world will attract the freaks and it's not a place for everyone. Some people go there and see Brandenburg Gate, Checkpoint Charlie, The Wall and then say the food sucks and then leave. The best parts of the city are the less developed areas(East) and grit makes some people uncomfortable. I did not seek out the leather and dungeons, but it's certainly there if that's your thing. There are plenty of hot girls from all over Europe there. I could never re-create the week I had in my twenties, so I may never return. It would be way different now that I'm a little older, and we saw all of the historical stuff the first time around. Too many other places to see. My friend is trying to convince me to run the Berlin marathon with him but phack that.

The people were extremely rude. Borderline Moscow level rude. And I found the place extremely ugly. The highlight for me was the graffiti art on the Berlin Wall.

The people were extremely rude. Borderline Moscow level rude. And I found the place extremely ugly. The highlight for me was the graffiti art on the Berlin Wall.

The weirdest thing that I remember was how many punk-looking teens roamed around in gangs, and brought their scary dogs on the S-Bahn, but I don't recall any rudeness

A city that I visited that is not on everyone's list, but enjoyed thoroughly was Bordeaux. Fantastic food. And who knew the French could be nice?
Completely different than Napa; they want for you to learn, not just spend.
When you get tired of the wine country, a short flight to Nice and you can hang with the billionaires.

Or you can just say screw it, and go to Lake Como and do nothing for 7 days and really relax.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT