ADVERTISEMENT

Zach McRoberts walks away from basketball...

Good luck. Come back, get a great education in a great environment and enjoy life.

Walk-On at IU?
It doesn't sound like he is planning on playing again. He will be a popular choice for an intramural basketball team.

After a year he will either really miss it or enjoy his free time. I am surprised more kids don't do this.

Late changes like this would be hard for a team. It sounds like he was one of a few playing in his position.

Austin Nichols from Memphis announced he was transferring. He was named a team captain and everything seemed to be going well. Memphis says they won't release him from his scholarship. Nichols will have to appeal the decision and is getting a lawyer to represent him.

In a way, I kind of support the school. Waiting so late to transfer hurts his team and future student athletes will need to factor in the possibility of not being released when they make these late decisions. It leaves him in limbo and will keep schools from contacting him.

Late changes like this would be hard for a team. It sounds like he was one of a few playing in his position.

Austin Nichols from Memphis announced he was transferring. He was named a team captain and everything seemed to be going well. Memphis says they won't release him from his scholarship. Nichols will have to appeal the decision and is getting a lawyer to represent him.

In a way, I kind of support the school. Waiting so late to transfer hurts his team and future student athletes will need to factor in the possibility of not being released when they make these late decisions. It leaves him in limbo and will keep schools from contacting him.

He'll ultimately get a release. I can see Memphis being upset and not wanting a player, especially their best scorer, leave this late in the offseason these are decisions that should be made in March/April. It could set a bad precedent for players who get mad at their coach/team/school impulsively decide leave up to September. Memphis could just be trying to stall his departure for a bit to recruit him to stay, but obviously after a week story breaking from his camp it just upset him leading to an appeal.

As for IU chances, while I would like CTC and Coach Martin to reach out, I don't think there is a relationship to expect him to visit. Hopefully I am wrong and he's open to all schools and CTC and Coach Martin work some magic. Memphis in response could spite him and restrict his transfer options which could improve IU's chances once he is "released."

It seems to me he is looking for a chance at a deep tourney run not playing time. There are rumors he was regretting not originally choosing Duke during their championship run last year out of HS and I'd peg them as the favorite.

But no one is dropping $60k out of their pocket so their son or brother can be dropped from scholarship to make room for someone else.

Last edited:
He'll ultimately get a release. I can see Memphis being upset and not wanting a player, especially their best scorer, leave this late in the offseason these are decisions that should be made in March/April. It could set a bad precedent for players who get mad at their coach/team/school impulsively decide leave up to September. Memphis could just be trying to stall his departure for a bit to recruit him to stay, but obviously after a week story breaking from his camp it just upset him leading to an appeal.

As for IU chances, while I would like CTC and Coach Martin to reach out, I don't think there is a relationship to expect him to visit. Hopefully I am wrong and he's open to all schools and CTC and Coach Martin work some magic. Memphis in response could spite him and restrict his transfer options which could improve IU's chances once he is "released."

It seems to me he is looking for a chance at a deep tourney run not playing time. There are rumors he was regretting not originally choosing Duke during their championship run last year out of HS and I'd peg them as the favorite.

But no one is dropping $60k out of their pocket so their son or brother can be dropped from scholarship to make room for someone else.
No way do I want him at IU. He may be a good kid and basketball player, but I don't want to take in a kid that left under these circumstances. Programs shouldn't contact a kid that hasn't been released. Coaches like Calipari are probably sending out word through third parties, but he should be off limits until the matter is resolved. I don't want to be that kind of program.

The appeal process could take time and extend through the start of school. That is the danger of quitting on your team so late. If players want to hurt their coach, this is how they could do it.

No way do I want him at IU. He may be a good kid and basketball player, but I don't want to take in a kid that left under these circumstances. Programs shouldn't contact a kid that hasn't been released. Coaches like Calipari are probably sending out word through third parties, but he should be off limits until the matter is resolved. I don't want to be that kind of program.

The appeal process could take time and extend through the start of school. That is the danger of quitting on your team so late. If players want to hurt their coach, this is how they could do it.

Good point I was just speculating. Not sure Duke will do this, but to think a school is above doing this type of thing is pretty narrow minded. If it was like the NBA, with no personal relationships, I'd drop senior Marshall Plumlee, but obviously that won't happen.

Good point I was just speculating. Not sure Duke will do this, but to think a school is above doing this type of thing is pretty narrow minded. If it was like the NBA, with no personal relationships, I'd drop senior Marshall Plumlee, but obviously that won't happen.
I am sure some coaches have gotten word to Nichols. I don't want to wait in the shadows for him. Calipari, Pitino, and a few others have probably already reached out to him. World Wide Wes is probably paying for his lawyer! Coach K is too smart to go after him. It could look like they had a plan in place before he left Memphis.

It would be okay for Crean to reach out to McRoberts once he is on campus. I would let him know we would entertain him walking on in the future if he decides that he misses playing.

I am sure some coaches have gotten word to Nichols. I don't want to wait in the shadows for him. Calipari, Pitino, and a few others have probably already reached out to him. World Wide Wes is probably paying for his lawyer! Coach K is too smart to go after him. It could look like they had a plan in place before he left Memphis.

It would be okay for Crean to reach out to McRoberts once he is on campus. I would let him know we would entertain him walking on in the future if he decides that he misses playing.

Was told he is the younger brother of Josh McRoberts. No downside.

Tough on Vermont but if he wants the college experience most people get, it was necessary. How long has it been since our basketball or football teams were made up of just young men from the student body?

Vermont's had a rough go with Indiana kids this year, what with McRoberts now transferring and Josh Speidel's auto accident/injuries.

Wonder how tight McRoberts and Speidel are, as friends.

Vermont's had a rough go with Indiana kids this year, what with McRoberts now transferring and Josh Speidel's auto accident/injuries.

Wonder how tight McRoberts and Speidel are, as friends.
Vermont also had Evansville Harrison's Ernie Duncan sit out this year due to back issues. Ernie's brother Everett will be at Vermont this year.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT