ADVERTISEMENT

Your take on Denzel Ward, CB, OSU, sitting out v. USC.....?

mushroomgod_1

All-American
Apr 9, 2012
Yes, it's a business decision, but if I'm an NFL GM, It's a strike against him.

Deciding to not play against a high profile QB & passing game kinda ****ed over his teammates. Is that a guy you want to give a long-term contract to if you have other options?

Not a deal breaker, but something to look at closely, I would think.

Reactions: Chriselli

Deciding to not play against a high profile QB & passing game kinda ****ed over his teammates. Is that a guy you want to give a long-term contract to if you have other options?

Totally agree with you that if I was a GM I would not really look at those players. I want to have players I trust will be there we they are needed. They are on scholarship to play football so when there is a game you should be there if healthy. I am a Colts fan and they probably will have the 3rd pick and some think Bradley Chubb from NC St. might be the pick but after sitting out his bowl game I hope they look elsewhere.

It's a business decision, too much damn money on the line to gamble your career on. I can see both sides of the argument and I personally respect a kid who will play, a la Lamar Jackson today, WAY more than one who won't.

I want to say also, the money in sports is DISGUSTING...that is exactly what's created the nonsense this thread mentions.

Last edited:

Look no further than Jaylon Smith, kid lost millions. Plenty of tape, combine and workouts. Not playing in one game isn’t going to cost him with GM’s, nor should it. It’s not a character flaw, he’s a top 10 pick. As far as ****ing over his teammates.... SC scored 7 points and that was following a muffed punt. The difference between us and teams like OSU, it’s literally “next man up” and don’t miss a beat.

It's a business decision, too much damn money on the line to gamble your career on. I can see both sides of the argument and I personally respect a kid who will play, a la Lamar Jackson today, WAY more than one who won't.

I want to say also, the money in sports is DISGUSTING...that is exactly what's created the nonsense this thread mentions.
There is so much money in sports because so many people buy tickets and buy merchandise. They are paid market value.

I understand, I simply do not think a person who plays a sport, should be paid these moon shot salaries.

Like RB said, they are paid market value. They put butts in seats. The ones in most orgs that Are overpaid are the presidents, etc. etc. Their pay is determined by people like them and it's been way our of line for decades.

What if a player was "encouraged" by a GM not to play?

that same player might be "encouraged" not to play by a different GM when he's in his option yr.

that said, players aren't paid "market value" in the NFL or college.

both the NCAA and the NFL collude to ban paying everyone market value.

the NCAA by forbidding payment at all other than the scholarship, and the NFL by the salary cap.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT