ADVERTISEMENT

Young defense

The 2015 team could've won the Big Ten title if Tom Allen was its DC...think about that for a minute!!

Regarding this season, I think the keys on defense are Jacob Robinson, Jon Crawford, Dameon Willis, Raekwon Jones, Ashon Riggins and Marcelino Ball. Those six guys need to play at a very high level for the defense to succeed. Obviously there's other kids that absolutely must step up, but those mentioned are the lead dogs, imo.

The 2015 team could've won the Big Ten title if Tom Allen was its DC...think about that for a minute!!

Regarding this season, I think the keys on defense are Jacob Robinson, Jon Crawford, Dameon Willis, Raekwon Jones, Ashon Riggins and Marcelino Ball. Those six guys need to play at a very high level for the defense to succeed. Obviously there's other kids that absolutely must step up, but those mentioned are the lead dogs, imo.

What are the possible reasons for your assertion that IU could have won the Big Ten title?

If memory serves me correctly MSU, and OSU fielded two very talented East Division teams, and Iowa was very strong coming out of the west. Looking at IU's 2015 schedule the only team I believe they should have beaten that they lost is Rutgers.

What are the possible reasons for your assertion that IU could have won the Big Ten title?

If memory serves me correctly MSU, and OSU fielded two very talented East Division teams, and Iowa was very strong coming out of the west. Looking at IU's 2015 schedule the only team I believe they should have beaten that they lost is Rutgers.
what are the possible reasons? maybe you should reread his post.

His point is based on OSU nearly losing to IU at the end of the game despite a defense that wasn't very good. MSU was a one score game until late in the 4th quarter. IU played UM to two overtimes, and lost to Iowa by one score when they couldn't stop their offense. Other than the PSU game when Howard and Sudfeld were hurt IU had opportunities to win if they had a decent defense that could stop offenses on a regular basis.

His point is based on OSU nearly losing to IU at the end of the game despite a defense that wasn't very good. MSU was a one score game until late in the 4th quarter. IU played UM to two overtimes, and lost to Iowa by one score when they couldn't stop their offense. Other than the PSU game when Howard and Sudfeld were hurt IU had opportunities to win if they had a decent defense that could stop offenses on a regular basis.

Was the original poster implying that the IU offense scored every time they had the ball? Did any and of the IU opponents field defenses that were proven to be incapable of stopping the IU offense?

If I recall correctly IU's offense had an opportunity in OT to tie the score against UM in the second overtime, but that didn't happen. OSU, MSU, and even Rutgers found ways to hold the IU offense and prevent them from scoring on each of their possessions.

I'm not going to argue that if IU had a better defense they probably would have won one or two more games, but winning the conference when there were several other teams that were simply better.

Was the original poster implying that the IU offense scored every time they had the ball? Did any and of the IU opponents field defenses that were proven to be incapable of stopping the IU offense?

If I recall correctly IU's offense had an opportunity in OT to tie the score against UM in the second overtime, but that didn't happen. OSU, MSU, and even Rutgers found ways to hold the IU offense and prevent them from scoring on each of their possessions.

I'm not going to argue that if IU had a better defense they probably would have won one or two more games, but winning the conference when there were several other teams that were simply better.

So an offense that scores 50+ points, the team still LOSES the game, and the offense should have been better? I am sure the offense made mistakes here and there.

Yes, better teams beat IU. That is mostly because their defense was so bad. Make the defense better with Allen at DC one year earlier, and the whole team gets better.

Playing the what-if game is generally a foolish endeavor, but what else are CFB fans supposed to do in June?

Look, his claim might have been hyperbolic, but I don't know why you're belaboring this. It's no revelation that IU had one of the best offenses in the country in 2015. It's also no mystery that our defense was putrid. If we had had any semblance of a defense that year we would have beaten Michigan in regulation, defeated Rutgers, possibly won over Ohio State and gone to a much better bowl than the Pinstripe Bowl where we, predictably, blew a late lead and lost to Duke. If we had 2016's defense in 2015 then, yes, we might have been able to make a run at the Big Ten East title. Unfortunately, things didn't line up that way.

Yes, I think if the 2015 team had the 2016 or 2017 defense, they possibly win the Big Ten that year. Looking at the outcomes of those games, it's not a stretch at all to imagine a scenario where IU wins those close games.

I understand as an opposing fan from MSU, you're thinking I'm off base, I get that. IU had a wonderful offense that year and married to a quality defense, that team would've been extremely dangerous.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT