ADVERTISEMENT

You no longer need intent to be a racist.

Rockport Zebra

All-American
Jan 30, 2002
Here is a work by Andrew Sullivan that explains this position of many who want revolution. The dangerous future for me is the only thing that will matter to the mob. I am a old white guy. https://nymag.com/intelligencer/2020/06/andrew-sullivan-you-say-you-want-a-revolution.html I am not opposed to reform or the removal of Confederate symbols but I am concerned about the mob. Sullivan lays out a very good case with historical examples.
Better confess your sins and say your prayers.

Sullivan conveniently omits that his examples are all totalitarian.

Luckily for you, the only totalitarian here in power is Trump and he’s going down in his ashes.

Luckily for you, the only totalitarian here in power is Trump and he’s going down in his ashes.

You need a history lesson on true totalitarianism

There are plenty of examples in or latest race explosion of bad actor on both extremes. Roving bands of extremists beating the crap out of innocents. You make no mention of the recent themes in scholarship that you only have to be white to be guilty because for years you only had to be black to be guilty. Plus your snarky religious opening opens the door that you are ok with indiscriminate violence on innocents.

Reactions: JamieDimonsBalls
Here is a work by Andrew Sullivan that explains this position of many who want revolution. The dangerous future for me is the only thing that will matter to the mob. I am a old white guy. https://nymag.com/intelligencer/2020/06/andrew-sullivan-you-say-you-want-a-revolution.html I am not opposed to reform or the removal of Confederate symbols but I am concerned about the mob. Sullivan lays out a very good case with historical examples.

RZ, you always struck me as being a libertarian.

One man's mob could be another man's protest for human rights.

RZ, you always struck me as being a libertarian.

One man's mob could be another man's protest for human rights.
Protest is different from roving mobs. Plus I am really concerned that you don't need intent to be racist. That idea is in our classrooms.

Protest is different from roving mobs. Plus I am really concerned that you don't need intent to be racist. That idea is in our classrooms.

Protesters can be described as roving mobs.

RZ, aren't the mobs you are concerned about actually looters and arsonists?

I don't think one has ever needed intent to be racist. Some of the most cringe-worthy moments come from the most well-meaning folks; stuff like "some of my best friends are . . . ." And that's not even getting into the structural racism built into the US' housing, education, economic and social systems . . . .

Where I think you could go with this thread - and I don't mean to put words in your mouth, so tell me to stuff it if I'm off-base here - is that many people "naturally" have a tendency to want revenge or retribution when they've been wronged, and in the course of taking out that revenge/retribution those who've been victims become oppressors to their former oppressors. The vicious cycle of oppression/victimhood reversing itself with each party to that relationship taking on the others' role is where this ends up unless there is something that interrupts the vicious cycle . . .

. . . is that a discussion worth having for you?

Protesters can be described as roving mobs.

RZ, aren't the mobs you are concerned about actually looters and arsonists?
hoot, are you trying to get RZ to distinguish between the behavior of protesters from the behavior of looters, arsonists, and perpetrators of assault? If so, I think that's a worthy distinction to make . . . but it might require some nuance . . . .

Reactions: UncleMark
I don't think one has ever needed intent to be racist. Some of the most cringe-worthy moments come from the most well-meaning folks; stuff like "some of my best friends are . . . ." And that's not even getting into the structural racism built into the US' housing, education, economic and social systems . . . .

Where I think you could go with this thread - and I don't mean to put words in your mouth, so tell me to stuff it if I'm off-base here - is that many people "naturally" have a tendency to want revenge or retribution when they've been wronged, and in the course of taking out that revenge/retribution those who've been victims become oppressors to their former oppressors. The vicious cycle of oppression/victimhood reversing itself with each party to that relationship taking on the others' role is where this ends up unless there is something that interrupts the vicious cycle . . .

. . . is that a discussion worth having for you?
I am ok with discussion on changing hearts and minds.

RZ, I ran across this interview in googling "well-meaning racists": https://www.tolerance.org/magazine/...y-talking-white-fragility-with-robin-diangelo. Apparently, much of the racism white folks exhibit are things we're not remotely aware of . . . .

Might be interesting . . .

hoot, are you trying to get RZ to distinguish between the behavior of protesters from the behavior of looters, arsonists, and perpetrators of assault? If so, I think that's a worthy distinction to make . . . but it might require some nuance . . . .
There is not much nuance when you see the film clips of families on public roads being stopped and having their windows broken out with tire irons. Seattle and these closing of public roads added to our current void of leadership could lead to a very violent outbreak. The number of people arming themselves is growing.

The number of people arming themselves is growing.
Who's arming themselves? Where are these folks? What sorts of arms are they obtaining? What are they arming themselves against?

What violence are you referring to? Are you including the two kids in Atlanta whose car windows were broken out, then they were tased, tossed to the ground, cuffed and arrested . . . all while they were going out to get something to eat? Are you including Floyd, Arbery, Taylor and Brooks as reasons for folks to arm themselves?

I'm trying to get a sense of what you're trying to say . . . it's not clear to me what you're referring to.

Just stay out of Duckburg please. I suspect your homeland is the outside of 465 on the northside. You are a swell.
If by "swell" you mean "troll", you're spot on with that observation, RZ. Remember what your mama told you: don't feed the trolls . . . .

Who's arming themselves? Where are these folks? What sorts of arms are they obtaining? What are they arming themselves against?

What violence are you referring to? Are you including the two kids in Atlanta whose car windows were broken out, then they were tased, tossed to the ground, cuffed and arrested . . . all while they were going out to get something to eat? Are you including Floyd, Arbery, Taylor and Brooks as reasons for folks to arm themselves?

I'm trying to get a sense of what you're trying to say . . . it's not clear to me what you're referring to.
You can't buy a new weapon in Duckburg. Sold out, on backorder. I don't support the attacks on any of these black kids. Why throw that bomb at me.

You can't buy a new weapon in Duckburg. Sold out, on backorder. I don't support the attacks on any of these black kids. Why throw that bomb at me.
I wasn't sure what you're saying . . . I'm still not.

Duckburg is a small place . . . it's not necessarily representative of what's going on in the rest of the country. If your comment was regarding Duckburg specifically, then I get that . . . if it's intended to be broader than that, I need some help understanding the scope of your comment.

Duckburg is a small place . . . it's not necessarily representative of what's going on in the rest of the country. If your comment was regarding Duckburg specifically, then I get that . . . if it's intended to be broader than that, I need some help understanding the scope of your comment.
Sope, the current estimate of private firearms ownership in the US is 400,000,000 weapons. Recent months have seen massive purchases. The shelves in gun dealerships look like the toilet paper aisle in a grocery store when the shutdown began. Not all purchasers know which end to hold on to, but they bought weapons. I hope they are at least getting safety and simple target training.

Sope, the current estimate of private firearms ownership in the US is 400,000,000 weapons. Recent months have seen massive purchases. The shelves in gun dealerships look like the toilet paper aisle in a grocery store when the shutdown began. Not all purchasers know which end to hold on to, but they bought weapons. I hope they are at least getting safety and simple target training.
Who's buying the weapons? Any data?

I have a friend in Florida, named my son after him and he is recommending his friends of color arm themselves. People buying large numbers of weapons in USA doesn't really need to be backed up with sales figures in a link. The statement is an accepted fact.

Reactions: Ladoga

How about the other way around?

Trump recently with an executive order ended the college degree requirement in many federal jobs if the applicant had sufficient experience. I think we can agree that requiring college degrees for jobs is one way systemic racism happens. Black men are especially affected since they are the demographic among those least likely to have a college degree. Should Trump get credit for striking a blow to end systemic racism even if that was not his intent with this EO? (That could have been is intent for all I know.)

Reactions: Joe_Hoopsier
From April 2: https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/04/01/business/coronavirus-gun-sales.html

From June 1: https://www.kunc.org/post/gun-sales-continue-boom-during-pandemic#stream/0

Interesting . . . .

Who's buying the weapons? Any data?
There is so much written material I can't keep up if it was my job. In MArch 2.5 million weapons were sold. Reporting is all anecdotes, but the Feds keep all the data on background data. Millions and millions have been owned for years and then something frightening happens and people long unfamiliar with firearms get scared and go buy them. I'm gonna look for some demographics on weapons purchases. Anecdotally, gun owners I know may trade, swap and purchase, but they've had their guns for years.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT