ADVERTISEMENT

You know this is one sad board when...

Threads get derailed by PUke trolls. If the mods banned them we could stay on topic.

It just goes to show that basketball is still king in Indiana

Maybe if the football team would give fans something to cheer for, we wouldn't have that problem.

0 Bowl wins since 1991. That's getting it done.

...there is a thread where PUkes and Loosiers are arguing about who the shittiest team in the big ten with 100 threads.

"You're the shitty team! No, you are. No, we are! No, we're the shittiest tea...errrr"

Why would you refer to
It just goes to show that basketball is still king in Indiana

Why do people think the state of Indiana has some kind of monopoly on the game of basketball? Hell, we can't even beat Wisconsin or Michigan State- they beat on us like a rented mule.

Goes to show that a lot of schools take take pride in their football programs can beat the tar out of us in basketball.

We are a middle of the pack program at best, who thinks it's better than it is.

Reactions: IUgradman
Why would you refer to

Why do people think the state of Indiana has some kind of monopoly on the game of basketball? Hell, we can't even beat Wisconsin or Michigan State- they beat on us like a rented mule.

Goes to show that a lot of schools take take pride in their football programs can beat the tar out of us in basketball.

Better than being the bottom of the pack in football and having to battle to get to 5th place in our division with 6 teams. I have been a fan of all IU sports for over 40 years but like a lot of IU fans basketball comes first. What I get tired of is that football only fans blame all the problems the football program on the basketball program. In a few years when Archie has IU back on top of the big ten the what will your excuse be for why the football program can' ever break through.

Why would you refer to

The smart schools realize football is the golden goose that provides the funds to invest in basketball and other sports. Until you get football right your athletics budget will always be skimpy. Wisconsin, O$U, and Penn State have nice modern basketball arenas because of the success of their football programs. IU became complacent, assuming basketball would be great forever and totally lost sight of the need to stay competitive with the schools that were investing in their facilities and football programs.

We neglected our facilities for decades and fell way behind other schools. Myles Brand basically ignored athletics while he was president. Michael McNeely left the athletics department in dire financial condition. Couple that with multiple bad coaching hires in both major sports and you get the current state of affairs. I think Archie will finally bring us back to where we expect to be in basketball.

Better than being the bottom of the pack in football and having to battle to get to 5th place in our division with 6 teams. I have been a fan of all IU sports for over 40 years but like a lot of IU fans basketball comes first. What I get tired of is that football only fans blame all the problems the football program on the basketball program. In a few years when Archie has IU back on top of the big ten the what will your excuse be for why the football program can' ever break through.

With exception of a few examples, you cannot thrive in a conference like the Big Ten in basketball without your cash cow football team getting investment. Just doesn't work anymore, Scott. IU has been second fiddle to Wisconsin and MSU on the hardwood since the mid-90s and they are not making up that ground anytime soon.

I like Archie.....but he ain't going to out-recruit Duke or UK or MSU. Our time being a regular top 1-2 teams in the conference every year died in the early 90s.

I don't know which is worse Scott:
1. A program that never had it and is trying to get there.
- Or -
2. A program that did have it and has fallen off the map and not been relevant in post season for years.

Archie will recruit better than Crean, especially instate. Schilling will work his magic. I am optimistic. We are in good shape with Langford, TJD, and Brooks. The fact that we have already landed two of the top instate prospects is very encouraging.

He doesn't have to out-recruit Duke or UK, although it would be nice. Wisconsin never dominated the recruiting headlines but they had a good coach with a good system who could develop players.

Last edited:
The smart schools realize football is the golden goose that provides the funds to invest in basketball and other sports. Until you get football right your athletics budget will always be skimpy. Wisconsin, O$U, and Penn State have nice modern basketball arenas because of the success of their football programs. IU became complacent, assuming basketball would be great forever and totally lost sight of the need to stay competitive with the schools that were investing in their facilities and football programs.

We neglected our facilities for decades and fell way behind other schools. Myles Brand basically ignored athletics while he was president. Michael McNeely left the athletics department in dire financial condition. Couple that with multiple bad coaching hires in both major sports and you get the current state of affairs. I think Archie will finally bring us back to where we expect to be in basketball.

We have and are seeing improvements in every aspect, some of them such as facilities are dramatic. The success of Both coach hires are TBD.

Oh Puke!!!
You might not like it but it is true and you should be use to it. it has been like that forever and it probably will never change in Indiana. Just look at the attendance between the spring game and Hoosier Hysteria where the spring game is lucky to get 5,000 where most Hoosier Hysteria gets around 16,000. They have made a movie about Indiana high school basketball but never have they made one about football so with all of this it shows you that basketball is still the priority in this state.

It's great to be good at basketball. Archie Miller is a good guy and a good coach and should do well. But nationally if IU remains a primarily a bball school, and doesn't continue to improve in football, it will remain only a second class athletic department/school. You may not like it but it's true.

Reactions: JohnsyRick
It's great to be good at basketball. Archie Miller is a good guy and a good coach and should do well. But nationally if IU remains a primarily a bball school, and doesn't continue to improve in football, it will remain only a second class athletic department/school. You may not like it but it's true.

Each FB ticket sold at blended pricing produces about $50 per game in ticket , parking and concessions revenue (making some ratio assumptions) while adding very little in terms of variable cost. Your point is spot on and why IU needs to generate another 10K sold tickets each of six games.

Duke, UK and UNC are mainly basketball schools and they are doing just fine.

Maybe if the football team would give fans something to cheer for, we wouldn't have that problem.

0 Bowl wins since 1991. That's getting it done.
Maybe not freaking out after losing to the number two team in the country in the first game of the year might help a little. We led the damn game for most of the first half, at half time, and then again with 4:50 left in the third quarter. It shouldn't be a big surprise that Ohio State is deeper than us. It is not Tom Allen's fault that we haven't won a bowl game in 25 years. Let the damn season play out. We are going for our third straight bowl and five in a row over Purdue. There are 11 games left in the regular season.

I have never seen so much stupidity and nonsense come from losing to a top two team. Our fans look like complete morons. You want to be a consistent bowl team and consistently win 7-8 games a year? Well that means you're gonna lose four or five games a year too.

...there is a thread where PUkes and Loosiers are arguing about who the shittiest team in the big ten with 100 threads.

"You're the shitty team! No, you are. No, we are! No, we're the shittiest tea...errrr"
Everyone realizes this is a blatant troll, right?

Reactions: Courtsensetwo
Duke, UK and UNC are mainly basketball schools and they are doing just fine.
Each of those schools has made a concerted effort to improve their football programs, and each has met with a fair degree of success, refusing to rest on the "We're a basketball school" excuse.

Maybe not freaking out after losing to the number two team in the country in the first game of the year might help a little. We led the damn game for most of the first half, at half time, and then again with 4:50 left in the third quarter. It shouldn't be a big surprise that Ohio State is deeper than us. It is not Tom Allen's fault that we haven't won a bowl game in 25 years. Let the damn season play out. We are going for our third straight bowl and five in a row over Purdue. There are 11 games left in the regular season.

I have never seen so much stupidity and nonsense come from losing to a top two team. Our fans look like complete morons. You want to be a consistent bowl team and consistently win 7-8 games a year? Well that means you're gonna lose four or five games a year too.
Which of the morons proclaimed that "We're going to win and it's going to be glorious!"?

Reactions: fpeaugh

You post a lot of good content on this board, but I've got to tell you - - your frequent rants about our "stupid fans" are really getting old. This is a football board. You're going to have posters with various levels of sophistication and familiarity with the team. You're also going to have trolls. Screaming about it all the time is not going to make these people go away nor necessarily change their minds.

A couple of weeks ago, I said in the thread "Gotta Trust the Roster" that there would be people declaring the season over if we lost to Ohio State, and that wasn't a particularly bold or insightful prediction. Chill. You're starting to sound like eweslessfan0.

You post a lot of good content on this board, but I've got to tell you - - your frequent rants about our "stupid fans" are really getting old. This is a football board. You're going to have posters with various levels of sophistication and familiarity with the team. You're also going to have trolls. Screaming about it all the time is not going to make these people go away nor necessarily change their minds.

A couple of weeks ago, I said in the thread "Gotta Trust the Roster" that there would be people declaring the season over if we lost to Ohio State, and that wasn't a particularly bold or insightful prediction. Chill. You're starting to sound like eweslessfan0.
You would do well to heed your own advice, especially given your less than exemplary track record here.

Everyone realizes this is a blatant troll, right?

Question fir you RBB, you may not have seen my notes to you in a couple other posts.

The one negative I noticed in the pregame Saturday night was that the PA system could not handle the range of Jim Cornelison, it really blew out. Anyway, is the system sitting on top of the new north scoreboard temporary or simple half of what we will eventually see?

You are our resident insider...what single scoop?

The guy is likely a millennial volunteer intern in the athletic department. He thinks he's important and smarter than everyone. Comes with the territory.

Reactions: Ewezrfan1
Archie will recruit better than Crean, especially instate. Schilling will work his magic. I am optimistic. We are in good shape with Langford, TJD, and Brooks. The fact that we have already landed two of the top instate prospects is very encouraging.

He doesn't have to out-recruit Duke or UK, although it would be nice. Wisconsin never dominated the recruiting headlines but they had a good coach with a good system who could develop players.

I'm optimistic for both football and basketball. We were behind with all facilities for a variety of reasons - a poor football program is the major reason. I'm not sure why some fans want to keep one sport down compared to another. Must be ND football fans I guess?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT